Please Recommend a New Car for Me

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ret2018

Re: Please Recommend a New Car for Me

Post by Ret2018 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:27 pm

If you are seriously considering a Subaru, take the time to research the numerous and substantial issues they have had with the CVT transmission in nearly their entire lineup. This led to a voluntary extension of the transmission warranty, probably in an effort to head off a recall.

In addition, it was just announced that Subaru will be recalling an unknown number of vehicles due to a failure in the engine coil spring. The details of the recall have not yet been released.

I have a Subaru Impreza. Got it for the safety of the AWD after my previous car was totaled in an accident. I feel safe in the Impreza. However, the reliability of the vehicle stinks. Transmission went out at 110K miles, just over the 100K extended warranty. There were no warning signs the transmission was going. It just.... died while driving down the road--sudden and complete loss of power.

To their credit Subaru bore much, but not all, of the cost of replacing with a rebuilt transmission. Otherwise, the repair would have been more than the value of the car.

Less than 100 miles after the transmission replacement, have had to take it back for other transmission and shifter related parts to be replaced.

And in a not good sign, the brand new loaner Outback the dealer gave me had problems as well.

Agree with what others have said about automatic as you get older. I drove a manual for decades and that is still my preference. Recently injured foot and was in a walking boot--and unable to drive our truck with manual.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:31 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm
Honda Civic Type-R (2.0T 6MT) or Si (1.5T 6MT), much fun to drive
VW Golf GTI or R (6MT)
or Mazda3 (6MT)
No CVT, no automatic shift. More control and reliable. If you really like CVT car and care about reliability, then get a Toyota Prius.
Or a Hyundai, which has a 10-year manufacturer's warranty on the powertrain. In addition, some Hyundai dealers offer a free lifetime warranty on the powertrain to the original owner of the car (it doesn't transfer to subsequent owners).

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Limoncello402 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 am
The Golf doesn't come with AWD--or that would be my first choice.
The Golf does come with AWD

The Golf Alltrack has AWD.

Some other less expensive Golf trims have 4Motion AWD as a standard or optional feature
+1. I drive a manual VW GTI and love it. If you are interested in driving a manual the Alltrack might be your best bet. Not many cars come with a manual these days. If I wasn't planning on buying and EV for my next car, a manual Alltrack would be at the top of my list.