Murder Mystery Authors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FGal

Re: Murder Mystery Authors

Post by FGal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Apologies if I repeat anyone (I skim/read, but not every single line in every post).

LOVE Ngaio Marsh and do agree she might just be a tiny bit better than Christie (but adore Christie no matter what).

Martha Grimes - pub series/Richard Jury novels. I stopped reading them after "The Blue Last" as the quality seemed to start wavering, but up to that point, they were lovely - I really, really loved the supporting cast of characters and quite frequently lovely/surprising humor was interjected perfectly into the death/investigations.

Elizabeth Peters - Peabody mysteries set in early 1900s England/Egypt. I love them, but they are humorous and a trifle "bubble gum" in some cases. Amelia Peabody is a fantastic character (as is the rest of the cast of characters) but don't go into the series thinking they are masterpieces of plot/writing. She passed away before completing her final book and a good friend/author finished it (actually wrote most all of it from her notes) and it's unfortunately quite painful to read as it was attempted to be done in the Peabody voice. I think the author friend should have changed the author (usually told from the perspective of Amelia Peabody, and occasionally from her son's diary/journals). Also be aware that the order of the novels were not written chronologically, and it may be better to read them in actual time period they were set in (you can check out the first one and see if you like the style and then google for the actual order to read the series so there are no time traveling back and forth due to the weird way Peters decided to approach the series). For instance the final novel was actually set like 10 years (and two or more novels) earlier than the preceding ones.

Mary Roberts Rinehart - lovely locked room/English country house mysteries, and quite a number of them too. She's known as the American Christie, and widely credited with the whole "the butler did it" denouement.

M. C. Beaton - OMG I can't even express how much I enjoy her series featuring English P.I. Agatha Raisin and completely different series featuring Scottish constable Hamish Macbeth. Both are solid gold and so much fun to read. Great plots, great characters, humor and real issues (both characters are quite flawed, but so very likeable and human).

Alan Bradley - his series starring the brilliant young girl scientist Flavia de Luce, her incredibly odd family, and their life in 1940-50s English village - love it, just fantastic.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:15 pm

gehrig wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:52 pm
j
Just finished Louise Penny's latest. It is as refreshing as her first. Recommend you read them in order as characters build over time. Wonderful series. Armand Gamache, Three Pines and Quebec Province. What more could anyone ask for?
I'm with you on Louise Penny. I've read (or listened to) most of hers - may have missed one or two. Currently reading "The Kingdom of the Blind" and enjoying it very much. Another female mystery writer I like (mentioned earlier when this thread was first active) is Donna Leon. Three Pines and Venice - what more indeed?
Friar1610

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Deleted -dupe.
Friar1610

Austintatious

Re: Mystery Writers...

Post by Austintatious » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:48 pm

shazaam wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 am
My wife is a voracious reader of mysteries, and she's introduced me to a lot of superb writers in the genre. Two of my favorites are Louis Penny (Chief Inspector Gamache novels) and Alan Bradley (Flavia de Luce novels). I enjoy novels with well-drawn, compelling characters, and both writers excel on this front. Hands down, Bradley's 11-year-old Flavia is one of my all-time favorite protagonists.

I'll also echo the recommendations for Donna Leon, Elizabeth George, Laurie King, and Ruth Rendell. You might also want to take a look at Minette Walters. I've only read one of her books at this point (Acid Row), but it was absolutely riveting. Like Rendell, though, no one's going to accuse Walters of viewing the world through rose-colored glasses...
Ditto re Louise Penny. Excellent character development and never a dull moment. And I just read J.Todd Scott's first book, The Far Empty, also recommended. His second book, "White Hot Sun" (2018) is out, and a third book is due in July, I think.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Some of my favorite authors have already been listed, but I'll add a couple others I like.

J.A. Jance - Her J P Beaumont series is set in Seattle, her other series are set in Arizona.

William Kent Krueger - A Minnesota author, his O'Connor mysteries are set up in northern Minnesota.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Not an author recommendation, but a website recommendation -

Fantastic Fiction

That is my go-to site for finding bibliographies for every author I read. The site lists all the books the author has written, sorted by series and date published.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

MN-Investor wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm
Not an author recommendation, but a website recommendation -

Fantastic Fiction

That is my go-to site for finding bibliographies for every author I read. The site lists all the books the author has written, sorted by series and date published.
This site is new to me. Looks like an excellent resource, now on my favorites list. Thanks.

tombauer

Post by tombauer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 pm

If you enjoyed the Inspector Barnaby series, Midsommer Mysteries, then check out Caroline Graham, the first few Barnaby episodes were taken from her Barnaby mysteries novels that she had written.

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Putting in a plug for Allen Eskens, who is an attorney turned author, and has published a series of four murder mysteries in the last several years. I have read the first two and found them to be very fun, quick reads. I am hesitant to start another, even though I have purchased two more and have them waiting in the wings. The trouble is that, once I start, I can hardly put the darned thing down until the end. I need my sleep.

gretah

Post by gretah » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Another fan of Louise Penny here. Marvelous books.

I used to like Donna Leon but I wonder if she written her last 3~ books herself. They are more like a short story with lots of words added. Not her usual depth.

I like Martin Walker's Bruno, Chief of Police novels. Set in SW France in wine and gourmet countryside.

Dick Francis is light, intelligent mystery reading. His son is not as good and the last book was so dreadful I stopped reading a quarter way through. Dick's heroes were people we wanted to be like. I've just been rereading Dad's books.

I've read a few Tana French novels. Quite good, I'll continue reading her books.

sleepwell

Post by sleepwell » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 pm

There is a website, www.stopyourekillingme.com, which monthly lists new books and short stories by an assortment of mystery authors. Also there is a listing of books which are nominated for various mystery awards in different categories, as well a a few reviews of some of the mystery books mentioned. I have found some new authors to try and I enjoy the reviews.

Sleepwell

oslocal

Post by oslocal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Boris Akunin's Fandorin series. - They are described as Russia's Harry Potter in popularity. I think around 10 books are translated to English.
They are set in late 19th century. Its focus are on Tsarist Russia, but the events are also around the world.
I love how all the new inventions are described such as the Telephone and later on the Automobile.

The first book is called "the Winter Queen" and is an easy read and a good stand-alone novel as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Queen-Nov ... 0812968778

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm

There are some crime authors that I sort of think make good pairings or groupings; here are some.

James Lee Burke; James Crumley

Michael Connelly; Robert Crais; Joe Ide

Dennis Lehane; George Pelecanos

Tana French; Kate Atkinson

Dashiell Hammett; James M. Cain; Walter Mosely

Elmore Leonard; Carl Hiaasen

Raymond Chandler; Ross MacDonald

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Kate Atkinson

brandy

Post by brandy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 am

Absolutely Louise Penny!
Harry Kemelman's Rabbi stories
Paul Doiron Mike Bowditch series
R.E. Donald Highway mysteries
CJ Box'es Joe Pickett stories I started one of his other ones, it was too much for me.
Craig Johnson Longmire stories
I don't like a lot of blood, guts or gore. These authors have spun wonderful stories with lots of twists, turns, unexpected events. Most of these can keep me up long past bedtime.

This thread is right on time, I need something to read. :happy

time>money

Post by time>money » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 am

The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins is probably my favorite mystery novel of all time. I can’t remember a more enjoyable mystery. It’s a Victorian Gothic tale that is both genuinely scary and also at times pretty hilarious. It was one of the first detective novels, and is surprisingly inventive in its narrative structure — the narration moves between witnesses who are themselves characters in the story. Incredibly lively, vivid characters make the story a joy to read.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:10 pm

time>money wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 am
The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins is probably my favorite mystery novel of all time. I can’t remember a more enjoyable mystery. It’s a Victorian Gothic tale that is both genuinely scary and also at times pretty hilarious. It was one of the first detective novels, and is surprisingly inventive in its narrative structure — the narration moves between witnesses who are themselves characters in the story. Incredibly lively, vivid characters make the story a joy to read.
Have you read Moonstone by Wilkie Collins? That was a good read.

duplin county

Post by duplin county » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm

There are three that stand out today. James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels. Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar novels and Craig Johnson's
Walt Longmire novels.