Questions to Tesla owners

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wrongfunds

Questions to Tesla owners

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 am

I just took delivery of Model 3. I have misc questions about the vehicle

- UMC box aka travel charger pack:- what should it contain?
- how do I remove the wall end adapter from the charger wire? I see no latch anywhere
- right now two phones are using the same credentials when logging in to Tesla App for the car; is there a way to authorize second owner with different credentials but still linked to the same car?
- how do I print the "receipt" of the vehicle purchase from my account? when I paid, I did see a screen saying "amount due zero" but now I do not see that screen and I am immediately in the vehicle screen.

More as I get familiar with the car. Hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.

smitcat

Re: Questions to Tesla owners

Post by smitcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 am
I just took delivery of Model 3. I have misc questions about the vehicle

- how do I remove the wall end adapter from the charger wire? I see no latch anywhere
- right now two phones are using the same credentials when logging in to Tesla App for the car; is there a way to authorize second owner with different credentials but still linked to the same car?
- how do I print the "receipt" of the vehicle purchase from my account? when I paid, I did see a screen saying "amount due zero" but now I do not see that screen and I am immediately in the vehicle screen.

More as I get familiar with the car. Hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.
Perhaps try here...
https://www.tesla.com/support/newowners

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 pm

negative on separate credentials for two phones of one car. Just one e-mail account.

(sorry, I've never looked in our UMC kit to see whit's in it besides a cord and some? adaptors.)

perhaps this should be the complete kit?

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... undle.html

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 am

wrongfunds wrote:
I don't remember exactly if these were in the pack or separate, but in addition to what Big Dog linked (long cable including the car plug and adapter receptacle, 120V plug (NEMA 5-15), 240V plug (NEMA 14-50), bag), there should also be a J-1772 adapter, which will let you use some other chargers, e.g., ChargePoint.
wrongfunds wrote:
Assuming you're referring to the 120V/240V wall adapters, you just pull it out of the receptacle.
wrongfunds wrote:
Same credentials. I would suggest sharing the password or changing it to a shared password as sometimes the Tesla App asks to re-authenticate.
wrongfunds wrote:
From the vehicle page, there should be More Details -> Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement -> View

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:12 am

Btw you can get a car put on two different Tesla accounts for the purpose of car control. However it can only support the app, not the Tesla Dashboard that has the “Manage XYZ” screen.

You create the additional account on Tesla.com the same as if you were buying a car, then send an email from your account with the car on it to ServiceHelpNA@tesla.com asking “Please grant full access to my vehicle VIN <last 6 digits> to <email address of other account>. Thank you!”

Then wait until it eventually happens. Again, this will only update the app, not the website.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks guys!

The MVPA from the account does not show amount due to be zero. May be it will be updated after the weekend?

Even though I used referral code and the recipient has been already credited with my purchase, the free 6-months supercharging is not being shown in my account. I have opened a case for it but one would think in year 2019, it should have been an atomic transaction even the company were doing their program accounting using paper and pencils!

Another stupid question; An ICE car once doors are unlocked, has many different states such as ACC_ON/IGN_ON/ENG_RUNNING.

Does Tesla have only AWAKE/SLEEPING states while in UNLOCKED condition? And is it automatically in AWAKE (at least for a while) once unlocked?

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:48 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am
Another stupid question; An ICE car once doors are unlocked, has many different states such as ACC_ON/IGN_ON/ENG_RUNNING.

Does Tesla have only AWAKE/SLEEPING states while in UNLOCKED condition? And is it automatically in AWAKE (at least for a while) once unlocked?
There are more states if you get technical, but there are basically three states. Off, Accessory On, Vehicle On/Running. Off is when the screens are off. Vehicle On/Running is the state when you can change gears and drive the car. Accessory On is the state when you first get in the car after Off, but have NOT pressed the brake pedal. The motor(s) are NOT on in this state and you can't shift into a gear.

On my Model S, it says "Car if off" on my instrument cluster. I don't know if there is a equivalent statement on the Model 3. I will know Wed when I pick mine up.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm

I was able to set up both garage door openers but not chose auto open or auto close option. The book mentions that once I come near my house, the home link button should automatically "drop down". It did not happen for me. In my other cars, I press the button well before turning in to the driveway and at that spot, the Tesla had not given me the garage door open button.

While driving today, I got an incoming phone call which showed up on the display. When I accepted the call, it got piped through my Oticon hearing aid. Although I do think the car's mike was being used because the phone was at least few feet away in the charging cradle.

I was expecting the car to give me option on how I wanted the call to be picked up the car aka Tesla/Oticon/iPhone etc but did not see such a list there.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm
I was able to set up both garage door openers but not chose auto open or auto close option. The book mentions that once I come near my house, the home link button should automatically "drop down". It did not happen for me. In my other cars, I press the button well before turning in to the driveway and at that spot, the Tesla had not given me the garage door open button.
I pick up my 3 tomorrow and will set it up for my garages, so I'll have feedback then. On my S, there is a button to "reset location" in the Homelink settings for that garage door entry. You may want to park the car near where you want it to activate sending the signal and hit reset location there. You may need to play around with it a few times to get it to the right place. I use auto-open and auto-close, and I found the best place for me was to drive the car for a few miles (so the GPS fully calibrates), then go home, pull completely into the garage, and hit reset location from there. Otherwise, I found that the car was waiting too long to send the signal and then when I go to pull in, I'm still waiting on the garage to finish opening. You shouldn't have that concern though as you will be pressing the button manually. For me, I get the pop-up about 150 feet away with the option to "Skip" the auto-open.
wrongfunds wrote:
I was expecting the car to give me option on how I wanted the call to be picked up the car aka Tesla/Oticon/iPhone etc but did not see such a list there.
Generally speaking, I've found with the iPhone that whatever you hit "answer call" on is where the audio gets piped through. So even when connected over Bluetooth, if I don't answer the call via the car's screen or the steering wheel controls and instead answer it on the iPhone's screen, it will pipe the audio on the iPhone. However, I would also check your iPhone's Settings app, under General, then Accessibility, then scroll down to "Call Audio Routing" and see what it is set to. I am on automatic, but you can bias other options.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:41 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am
wrongfunds wrote:
I pick up my 3 tomorrow and will set it up for my garages, so I'll have feedback then.
There is indeed a "reset location" option on the 3 without auto-open or auto-close selected. Right now I have the S auto-open and auto-close and the 3 doing neither while the primary driver gets used to it. She had a few freak-outs today just driving around a bit, so I don't want to overwhelm her.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am

I wonder if I can do "reset location" at the end of the driveway. I wanted to do that but then there were some warning screens and I wanted to make sure I would not have to go through the remote setup again!

By the way, where is the "track mode" ? I think my car has V9 software on it but when I went in to the vehicle screen, I do not recall seeing the "track mode" listed there.

I am shocked at the effect of the freezing temperature on the actual range of the vehicle. For total of actual 60 mile round trip yesterday when day time high was about 38F, the car used up over 90 miles of range. And this was done with staying with speed limit, never using the insane acceleration of the P3D and minimal usage of the in cabin heating and seat warmer. Most of the regenerative got disabled too (all dots on the left of that magic line)

I was planning on charging it couple of days a week given that I drive 60 miles a day but that is not going to work for me during the winter season. It looks like Tesla needs to use significant energy of the battery itself to keep battery at the precise temperature using heating AND cooling. Heck, it feels as if the temperature requirement for the battery is even more stringent than a typical human wants (say 70-85F), except may be a "real princess" :-)

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 am

I was planning on charging it couple of days a week given that I drive 60 miles a day but that is not going to work for me during the winter season.
The manual (and Elon) suggests plugging in every night. Just set it to charge to 80% (or 90%) and the car will do its thing.

You can also save a few electrons of range if you preheat the car in the am while it's still plugged in (shore power). Just wake up the car in teh morning on your phone and tell it to warm the cabin to your comfort level (i.e., 72 degree), which also warms the battery.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:25 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54 am
Most of the regenerative got disabled too (all dots on the left of that magic line)

I was planning on charging it couple of days a week given that I drive 60 miles a day but that is not going to work for me during the winter season. It looks like Tesla needs to use significant energy of the battery itself to keep battery at the precise temperature using heating AND cooling. Heck, it feels as if the temperature requirement for the battery is even more stringent than a typical human wants (say 70-85F), except may be a "real princess" :-)
I would recommend you use the “Scheduled Charging” feature and set it for about 45 minutes before you leave. Then plug in every night and those 45 min of charging should warm up your battery significantly before you leave, while not providing too lengthy of a charge. Then Saturday morning when you don’t leave, it will just keep charging to 90% or whatever you have it set to. I have my car set to charge at 7 am for me leaving by 8.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am

I have not yet able to find the odometer and/or tripmeter. I have only 3 dots on the left hand side under the picture of the windshield wipers. I have swiped left and right but do not see the odometer. Also missing from the bottom strip is the phone icon. Also the navigation icon(s) which switches between satellite view and map view is on the right edge of the screen but I recall many YouTube video showing those 3 icons on the left had side of the navigation panel.

The software version as reported in my Tesla App is 2018.42.1.1 For the life of me, I have yet to find the version number displayed on the car screen. The about info which shows the name of the car etc gets pushed down in couple of second and the absolutely stupid cute red santa(?) screen takes its place :-( Nowhere it shows the version number.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am

Touching the Tesla "T" at the top middle of the map screen gives you a window with the mileage, VIN, release notes, etc.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am

After doing some internet search, it looks like the currently released version is 2018.42.8 which introduces Track Mode for Model 3 Performance cars. Since mine is at 2018.42.8.1.1, I am pretty behind. The delivery center should have updated it before the purchase :-(

Yesterday night, car asked for WiFi access and was it was granted. Is there a way to force the download of the latest software and to install it or do I need to wait until the car decides on its own?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Another question:-

Anybody know how to stop the Easter egg screen from pushing the VIN/mileage screen down when’re you touch the T? Every time I try to stop it or slide it back up, the name change dialogue gets triggered.

I’d rather explicitly access the Easter eggs than have them be default when I touch the T for useful service info.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:02 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm
Another question:-

Anybody know how to stop the Easter egg screen from pushing the VIN/mileage screen down when’re you touch the T? Every time I try to stop it or slide it back up, the name change dialogue gets triggered.

I’d rather explicitly access the Easter eggs than have them be default when I touch the T for useful service info.
Good sources of info:

forums.tesla.com
teslatap.com