Portable Bluetooth Speaker Recommendations (loud and good sound quality)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sunrise

Portable Bluetooth Speaker Recommendations (loud and good sound quality)

Post by Sunrise »

Hello,
I would like to purchase a good quality portable Bluetooth speaker that I can use primarily in my garage gym when I'm working out and around the backyard/pool (doesn't necessarily have to be waterproof). Will be connecting to it with my new iPhone Xr and playing Amazon Prime Music to start. Requirements are good full "stereo" sound quality (even at loud volumes if desired), and can run off either internal battery or house outlet power. Bonus if it has a FM tuner (AM would be good too). Extra bonus if it could play CDs also. I would pay up to $500 for a good quality unit.

I've read that a lot of people like the Aiwa Exos-9 Bluetooth Speaker (https://aiwa.co/products/aiwa-exos-9-bluetooth-speaker), popular on Amazon. Considering that one at $330.

Any other recommendations to check out?

Or any recommended forums that focus on these types of audio electronics?

I listen to all kinds of stuff from '50s-'60s, '70s classic rock/easy, '80s-'90s new wave/rock/alternative/metal, country, classical, jazz, talk radio, whatever!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sunrise
btenny

Re: Portable Bluetooth Speaker Recommendations (loud and good sound quality)

Post by btenny »

BOSE Mini
megabad

Post by megabad »

Ok so here's the deal, the most annoying thing about a lot of bluetooth speakers is that I have to get up and turn them in a large open area when I am moving around (say a pool or a garage gym) or they sound like butt. Even the loud ones. For this reason, my UE megaboom blows directional speakers out of the water. I have had it next to a Sonos 5 and there is no comparison in my book. And it is lot cheaper. I don't know about the Aiwa Exos 9 you mentioned but it looks directional and that would be deal breaker for me, unless you are someone who enjoys sitting still in one spot (at the pool or gym). Just my thoughts, but that Aiwa is rated highly.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Agree with the Megaboom if sound quality is a priority. The Tivoli Audio Pal BT is another good option if the tuner is a major priority and it sounds great as well but it’s directional so may not sound good everywhere.
Topic Author
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Thanks everyone for the replies, looks like I have some good options to look at, that Megaboom looks wicked! Keep the comments coming! I’ll look up all of these suggestions tonight!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Bose Revolve is another multi-directional option.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink-P ... volve&th=1

We have several Bose SoundLink Mini/Mini 2. They sound great. Good bass and plenty loud for outside.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

megabad wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm Ok so here's the deal, the most annoying thing about a lot of bluetooth speakers is that I have to get up and turn them in a large open area when I am moving around (say a pool or a garage gym) or they sound like butt. Even the loud ones. For this reason, my UE megaboom blows directional speakers out of the water. I have had it next to a Sonos 5 and there is no comparison in my book. And it is lot cheaper. I don't know about the Aiwa Exos 9 you mentioned but it looks directional and that would be deal breaker for me, unless you are someone who enjoys sitting still in one spot (at the pool or gym). Just my thoughts, but that Aiwa is rated highly.
I have a UE megaboom, purchased specifically for use in my garage gym. No complaints. It gets a lot louder than you think it would.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I've got a JBL 3 that sounds great in my 15 x 20 living room. At less than $100 at most places, I found it hard to beat.

Link to JBL, https://tinyurl.com/yaya9zbx
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I've got a JBL Flip 4 that I like. You can sync up multiple speakers to the same source.
I've got a couple, my dad has a couple and a friend of mine has 4. I synced them up together for an outdoor movie night in my backyard a few months ago and the sound was great.
Topic Author
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Man this thread turned out to be great! I’m going to be up late tonight looking into all these units! I’m an Engineer so you know there will be a spreadsheet involved😁. I’ll let you know which one I decide on! Still open for more ideas!
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Another important consideration is battery life. I bought a TDK A33 that sounds great but the battery died after a year. The mega boom looks good. Is the battery good, does it last for several hours?
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

The new KEF lsx wireless.

Don't worry about the price.

You're getting a TRUE taste if audiophile quality sound, in a very high quality and attractive package.

Add a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription and be amazed.
onourway

Post by onourway »

shmidds wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 am Another important consideration is battery life. I bought a TDK A33 that sounds great but the battery died after a year. The mega boom looks good. Is the battery good, does it last for several hours?
I have the original UE Boom, have had it for maybe 4 years or so? Battery is 10-15 hours, lasts for weeks if it's not used. Still seems to be ok. The MegaBoom I believe goes beyond 20 hours of use.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:44 pm I've got a JBL 3 that sounds great in my 15 x 20 living room. At less than $100 at most places, I found it hard to beat.

Link to JBL, https://tinyurl.com/yaya9zbx
I have the same one too and this sounds great in the basement when I'm working out. I picked it up at Target on clearance so you might still be able to find them locally since the Charge 4's are out now.
sixtoeight

Post by sixtoeight »

Go with Anker speakers. They're well known for quality but at a good value. At about 90% sound quality of the similar competitors like JBL, Beats, and UE but a fraction of cost. $100 (JBL) vs. $30 (Anker). Anker's most premium, high end speaker goes for $80 on Amazon. No brainer. Also, keep in mind the rechargeable battery drain. If you use it frequently, after 2-3 years, your battery is going to start to wear out. At which time, you'll likely try to get a replacement. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on these bluetooth speakers. For me, everything $100 or less, are about similar in sound quality. Some may give you better bass, treble, mids, but for the average listener, they're about the same. Which is why you're in that sub-$100 category, I'd go for the most bang for your buck. Anker is that answer.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Socal77 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:22 am The new KEF lsx wireless.

You're getting a TRUE taste if audiophile quality sound, in a very high quality and attractive package.

I've had these on my Amazon list for a while. The green/fabric would be a nice Christmas gift to myself. Santa? Santa?

Based on the price and the fact my Bose SoundLink Mini still works and sound "good enough", they will just stay on my list. :|
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Marshall bluetooth speakers, like this one: https://www.marshallheadphones.com/mh_u ... -bluetooth They also offer larger and louder models. They go to 11, of course.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Bose SoundLink Mini II my favorite speaker in this size so far.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

My wife uses a JBL Flip 3 to teach her group exercise and boot camp classes both indoor and outside. People are moving around a lot. I think it sounds great for what it is.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

Nothing compared to my Bose Revolve. Can get a decent deal on ebay, too, today everything is 10% off.
Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI »

Harman Kardon "Onyx Studio 3 or 4".... or any Harman Kardon product you prefer.. You can link two "Onyx Studio 3 or 4" together and rock a whole house party...
Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger »

^^^ Harman Kardon Onyx gets my vote. ^^^
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

I wouldn't buy a bluetooth speaker without at least reading the wirecutter reviews:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... h-speaker/
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... h-speaker/

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
Topic Author
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Wow this thread gets more awesome all the time! While these KEF lsx wireless look awesome, they really don't look like they are meant to be moved all the time (I don't see any handles, and there are obviously two of them). I'm looking for something I can easily move back and forth between my garage gym and the backyard/pool. And I really don't want to spend over $500. But I'm sure they are awesome and have true stereo separation because of the pair. Hmmm.....maybe I could put some nice handles on them.

It looks like the LS50 is an older model? Is there anywhere that has better prices than Amazon on KEF lsx or LS50? Do they ever go on "sale"? Thanks.

I'm still looking at all of the other great suggestions! Thanks!
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

jbl charge 3 has worked well for us. waterproof, bluetooth. Under $100. I'm not asserting it is the best sound quality, but it is good enough (esp if you get it at a slightly better deal, eg 70-80 bucks).
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

another vote for jbl3 flip. I wanted a budget speaker that didn't sound like a tin can. This had the best bass as reviewed by others (I can't remember the site but it was a comparison of budget speakers and jbl3 flip rated the best). I'm happy with it. The bass is very good for a tiny speaker. Battery life has been good too. Had it for a year now and don't see any real degradation of battery life yet. I'd recommend it. I was at target the other day and saw a much larger (and more expensive) version of what looked like the same speaker. I think mine was around $80 on amazon.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Ive got a jbl charge 3 thats great quality and very loud.
It could easily be enough for most college apartment sized parties. Ive also got a jbl flip 4 for the shower and it would be loud enough for most rooms.
NewInvestor328

Post by NewInvestor328 »

After doing a good amount of research and back and forth, I finally settled and purchased the Oontz angle 3 ultra. I’ve had it for 4-5 months now and really like it. Has great sound and doesn’t get too distorted at high volumes. Bluetooth links well and it comes with an aux cord in case you want to plug in an iPhone/mp3 player. Just wanted to throw another option in the mix for you.
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a speaker. I would recommend checking out the Anker products on Amazon. They're high-quality, but not high-price.
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 am

I've had these on my Amazon list for a while. The green/fabric would be a nice Christmas gift to myself. Santa? Santa?

Based on the price and the fact my Bose SoundLink Mini still works and sound "good enough", they will just stay on my list. :|
Well, hopefully some day you'll get them! My Soundlink mini 2 is in its box and I'll be selling it at some point. :)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Sunrise wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm It looks like the LS50 is an older model? Is there anywhere that has better prices than Amazon on KEF lsx or LS50? Do they ever go on "sale"? Thanks.
The LS50 (about $1000/pair) are passive speakers requiring an amplifier. They're something of a modern classic but definitely not what you want for this use.

Perhaps you meant the LS50 "Wireless", an amplified version of the LS50 that has also gotten great reviews. They came out about two years ago. They have Bluetooth and can also stream Tidal. $2000/pair - that's the holiday sale price, $2200 normally. Don't expect big discounts otherwise. All authorized dealers sell it at the same price; eBay or other sources for used would be the only way to get it for less. "Wireless" in quotation marks because each speaker still needs to be plugged in, and there's another wire linking the two speakers.
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

Sunrise wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Wow this thread gets more awesome all the time! While these KEF lsx wireless look awesome, they really don't look like they are meant to be moved all the time (I don't see any handles, and there are obviously two of them). I'm looking for something I can easily move back and forth between my garage gym and the backyard/pool. And I really don't want to spend over $500. But I'm sure they are awesome and have true stereo separation because of the pair. Hmmm.....maybe I could put some nice handles on them.

It looks like the LS50 is an older model? Is there anywhere that has better prices than Amazon on KEF lsx or LS50? Do they ever go on "sale"? Thanks.

I'm still looking at all of the other great suggestions! Thanks!
You're right. They're not as portable as the "normal" ones from Bose, Sonos and JBL, etc.. But they might just be worth making a little custom bag to stow/carry them in. And, they do need wall power... No batteries.

KEF's are more accurate audiophile grade speakers where the other mainstream stuff is engineered to sound like what people are used to...

The lsx is a just released model, as in the last couple weeks. So it probably wont be on sale any time soon.

Just to clarify, the LS50W is wireless with a built in amp... The LS50 is not wireless, and requires an amp.

The LS50W (wireless) came out a while ago and is not really meant to compete with the lsx. The LS50W and the lsx use the same technology but the LS50 is bigger and will fill a larger room with sound. It is actually on sale at $1999, vs. about $2200 normally. There's speculation that there will be a newer model of the LS50 series fairly soon.

Any way... Even if the lsx don't work for you now, keep them on your radar for future use!

Check out this demo! You might never go back to the typical stuff. I know I won't. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90IZ-P_kfs
barreg

Post by barreg »

My kids have the JBL Flip 3 and Sony (not sure of the model number) bluetooth speakers and both of those do a very good job of sounding good, no matter where they're placed or where you are relative to the speaker. I have the Oontz XL and while it sounds great if it's pointed right at you, the sound is directional, so if you're not directly in front of it, it doesn't sound that great.

My advice would be to go to Best Buy or some other electronics store and listen to a few different ones to see which one you like
westie

Post by westie »

I'd do this. You can link two together if you wish. Sold for $200 when they first appeared.

https://www.electronicsface.com/product ... subwoofer/