Wanting to buy on the dip today didn't workout

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Wanting to buy on the dip today didn't workout

Post by Yellowhouse »

This morning I attempted to contact Vanguard and make a transaction that would hopefully capture the dip. I have a taxable account that I was going to tap in order to fill the 4k remaining balance in my Roth.

The person my wife spoke with actually told her that if we sold our position in the taxable account, those funds would not be available until Monday. We terminated the call at that point and here we sit, frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.

Do I have to have cash in a money market fund at Vanguard to access it in a pronto fashion? To me, it's inexcusable that they can not make my funds available until Monday.
bloom2708

Re: Wanting to buy on the dip today didn't workout

Post by bloom2708 »

Well, you have another "dip" today. Does that make a Monday buy a double-dip?

Do you have $4k you can put in your linked checking account and execute from your bank account? Then when the taxable sale settles, move that $4k to your bank account.

By selling in taxable first, you are doing a 2 part transaction. Sell in taxable, wait to settle. Then transfer to Roth IRA. That is how it works.

Buy on the dip only works if the dips stop and you don't know/can't know when they will stop in this market.
PVW

Post by PVW »

We might be in a plunge rather than a dip. There is a reasonable chance the market will be lower on Monday than it is today.

I'm not advocating market timing, I'm just pointing out that you don't know a dip until it's over.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The SEC mandates settlement times and Vanguard has nothing to do with it.

There are workarounds. For instance, it seems you want to make a $4,000 Roth IRA contribution today. Use your emergency fund, then replace the $4,000 in the emergency fund with selling in your taxable accounts.

Or convert your taxable account to a margin account. That will probably take some time, but you will be ready next time. You can withdraw money from taxable without even selling then. That is, you can take out a loan and pay interest for a few days. Pay off the loan by selling something in taxable when you are ready.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am The person my wife spoke with actually told her that if we sold our position in the taxable account, those funds would not be available until Monday. We terminated the call at that point and here we sit, frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.
I assume that the position was an ETF? You would indeed have to wait for an ETF trade to settle before you could transfer the cash.

But you can exchange directly from a mutual fund in a taxable account to an IRA or Roth IRA. I did it a few times this year. We own equity ETFs in taxable, but I also keep bond mutual funds (Vanguard OH Long-Term Tax Exempt and Vanguard Limited-Term Tax Exempt) that I can tap into for our Roth IRA contributions if needed.

You do not need to keep cash in a money market, just in a mutual fund.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Good advice above. This isn’t sounding like a VG problem.

Also selling taxable assets to buy the dip in Roth doesn’t really sound like buying the dip, unless maybe your taxable asset was low risk?

Funding the Roth in January and then letting it sit in cash until a dip would be, but I’m not advocating for that. Simply invest as much as you can as soon as you can and you’ll do great.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Sell the taxable account anyway, and fund the Roth with an outside contribution today. I do the latter part each month on the 15th in our account.

T+2 trade settlement is industry (federally regulated) standard. It's not Vanguard's fault at all. It was T+3 just a couple years ago. I would think if you don't know that aspect of investing you should probably stop trying to time the market and take MotoTrojan's advice:
MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am Simply invest as much as you can as soon as you can and you’ll do great.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Texanbybirth wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am Sell the taxable account anyway, and fund the Roth with an outside contribution today. I do the latter part each month on the 15th in our account.

T+2 trade settlement is industry (federally regulated) standard. It's not Vanguard's fault at all. It was T+3 just a couple years ago. I would think if you don't know that aspect of investing you should probably stop trying to time the market and take MotoTrojan's advice:
MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am Simply invest as much as you can as soon as you can and you’ll do great.
Why should I sell the taxable account? I use it as a so called savings account because I can withdraw money from it free of having to pay capital gains tax, as I'm in the 15% tax bracket.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm
Texanbybirth wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am Sell the taxable account anyway, and fund the Roth with an outside contribution today. I do the latter part each month on the 15th in our account.

Why should I sell the taxable account? I use it as a so called savings account because I can withdraw money from it free of having to pay capital gains tax, as I'm in the 15% tax bracket.
You would need to replace the money from your checking account that you are using to fund the Roth, since you are in a hurry to do it today.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

aristotelian wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm

You would need to replace the money from your checking account that you are using to fund the Roth, since you are in a hurry to do it today.
OP you clearly mentioned selling from your taxable account to fund your Roth, we weren't the first to suggest this.

Are you saying you just leave it in money-market and think that is giving you tax-free growth? Sadly you are wrong; those gains are still interest and no different than an FDIC insured savings account. If you are talking about equity gains then yes, that may be tax-free (unless you gain enough to bump tax-brackets), but equities are a little different than a savings account :).
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Does Vanguard not have a "sell to buy" choice? It's how I rebalance at Fidelity. Zero time out of market.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm Does Vanguard not have a "sell to buy" choice? It's how I rebalance at Fidelity. Zero time out of market.
They do. Exchange is the term. But, I don't think you can "Exchange" and transfer from taxable to Roth IRA in one transaction. That is what is tripping up the scenario.

You can buy and pull funds from taxable settlement, but the funds aren't in settlement until Monday.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Too late the knife has stopped falling.
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

Step 1: fill your ROTH IRA with 4k
Step 2: wait for another dip, or just don't time the market.
Last edited by pdavi21 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm Does Vanguard not have a "sell to buy" choice? It's how I rebalance at Fidelity. Zero time out of market.
They do. Exchange is the term. But, I don't think you can "Exchange" and transfer from taxable to Roth IRA in one transaction. That is what is tripping up the scenario.

You can buy and pull funds from taxable settlement, but the funds aren't in settlement until Monday.
You absolutely can "Exchange" from a fund in taxable to a fund in a Roth IRA. I've done it regularly since opening our accounts in 2015.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am if we sold our position in the taxable account
What was the position?
Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.
On which scroll is that written?
jhfenton wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

You absolutely can "Exchange" from a fund in taxable to a fund in a Roth IRA. I've done it regularly since opening our accounts in 2015.
That is true with funds. However it appears the OP was evidently trying to sell a T+2 position (individual stock, ETF, etc). Of course this is just speculation since OP hasn't provided that information.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

ivk5 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm That is true with funds. However it appears the OP was evidently trying to sell a T+2 position (individual stock, ETF, etc). Of course this is just speculation since OP hasn't provided that information.
Which, if you read the fifth post in the thread, is exactly what I told him.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

jhfenton wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 pm
ivk5 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm That is true with funds. However it appears the OP was evidently trying to sell a T+2 position (individual stock, ETF, etc). Of course this is just speculation since OP hasn't provided that information.
Which, if you read the fifth post in the thread, is exactly what I told him.
Ah- indeed it is! :sharebeer
megabad

Post by megabad »

Just wanted to point out that the LTCG brackets and income tax brackets are no longer linked in 2018 and beyond. Also there is no longer a 15% federal bracket. What this means will depend on your individual tax situation, but just pointing out that everyone's tax situation has changed from 2017 to 2018.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

One possibility is to exchange a fund within your Roth (say a bond fund) for a stock fund. This would have the effect of "buying" the stock fund at it's current value.

Then, when the $4000 is transferred in a few days, repurchase $4000 in the bond fund. Bond funds are a lot less volatile, so there will not be a huge change in bond fund value in the course of 2-3 business days.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
l1am

Post by l1am »

You must be an active day trader worth billions since you can time the markets so well. What sort of TA analysis did you do to establish so confidently that the market would improve by Monday?

Post by 123 »

I successfully bought on the dip today and found out about it maybe 2 hours after it occurred. I simply had a standing limits order that would trigger if VTI dipped to $135. I review my limit order every couple of months. After my morning meetings I saw that the market was having a rough day. When I checked my account I saw the my limit order had executed as I had intended it to. (I have seperate limit orders for $134 and below as well, my intent is to take advantage of another flash crash should one occur).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I appreciate the comments and ideas! We simply wanted to know what would constitute the fastest way of making a purchase. Usually we simply direct monies out of our bank account when adding to our Roths, and we do so without trying to capture a certain price that has dipped.

This was different, we are self employed and our business is boom or bust. We didn't have the amount of money needed in the bank account to transfer and buy what we wanted. I chose to attempt to simply cash out some of my taxable account, which is a Franklin Templeton mutual fund, but I learned it would take roughly 4 days to even be able to access that money.

Long story short, we didn't do anything. How do people buy on the spot prices without a monster delay? This is where crypto should come in, IMO. Four days to turnover my money is ridiculous. Crypto can transfer money in more seconds...that's the entire theory behind it!
Topic Author
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

David Jay wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm One possibility is to exchange a fund within your Roth (say a bond fund) for a stock fund. This would have the effect of "buying" the stock fund at it's current value.

Then, when the $4000 is transferred in a few days, repurchase $4000 in the bond fund. Bond funds are a lot less volatile, so there will not be a huge change in bond fund value in the course of 2-3 business days.
Thanks, David!! After talking it over with my wife, your point makes perfect sense.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am ...frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.
Timing the market by "buying the dips" is not the smartest way possible to save money. It is a good way to lose money.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am We terminated the call at that point and here we sit, frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.

Do I have to have cash in a money market fund at Vanguard to access it in a pronto fashion? To me, it's inexcusable that they can not make my funds available until Monday.
To me, the smartest way possible would have been to do this January 1st of 2018. :wink:

Don't way for dips. Fill the Roth(s) as soon as you can.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Here is a thread on buying on the dips as a strategy if you're interested:
viewtopic.php?t=228924
finagle

Post by finagle »

Don't worry. $4k is nothing. That's just 1 month's expenses to most normies (I'm a minimalist).

As people around here say, "dip? What dip?" . Wake me when we breach djia 20,000 and lower in the next recession.
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

chevca wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm
Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am We terminated the call at that point and here we sit, frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.

To me, the smartest way possible would have been to do this January 1st of 2018. :wink:

Agree but the Market is closed. I got mine in on January 4th.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm How do people buy on the spot prices without a monster delay?
The settlement times only really apply when you want to withdraw money from an account. Which is what you're trying to do here.

Settlement times don't apply when you sell in an account and then want to buy in the same account. If you log in to Vanguard, sell 100 shares of an ETF at the market price and 42 minutes later buy a different ETF at the market price...that works fine. It is what everyone does.

Again: you only really run into settlement issues when you withdraw money from the account. You tried to withdraw money from the account (and put it into another account).
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I don't use ETF's and didn't know about this delay in using them.

We regularly transfer funds from a joint taxable account to Roth and Traditional IRA accounts. But they are all mutual funds. I can directly exchange shares in Total Stock Market in the taxable account to a Total International fund in my Roth IRA with a single transaction that settles overnight, using the NAV's at the end of the day.

We intend to do Roth conversions next year and I expect it to be as seamless to transfer from our tiRA's to our Roth IRA's, with perhaps a few extra mouse clicks to answer questions about taxes.
chevca

Post by chevca »

ETadvisor wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:59 pm
chevca wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Agree but the Market is closed. I got mine in on January 4th.
Okay, you got me. :happy

As soon as possible after January 1st.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm Too late the knife has stopped falling.
Did you bring the plunge protection team again?
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm This is where crypto should come in, IMO. Four days to turnover my money is ridiculous. Crypto can transfer money in more seconds...that's the entire theory behind it!
Now you’re just trolling.

If you want to make the system work for you, you need to learn how it works.

Or buy and hold and focus this energy on your business.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am This morning I attempted to contact Vanguard and make a transaction that would hopefully capture the dip. I have a taxable account that I was going to tap in order to fill the 4k remaining balance in my Roth.

The person my wife spoke with actually told her that if we sold our position in the taxable account, those funds would not be available until Monday. We terminated the call at that point and here we sit, frustrated and confused about the difficulties of trying your best to save money the smartest way possible...which means buying the dip.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think this would have been a better experience with many other brokers. IIRC even Schwab takes about 24hrs to move from Taxable account to Roth. To buy "dips" like this, make sure the cash or bond/MM ETF is sitting in the account you want to buy the equities in.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

ivk5 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 am
Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm This is where crypto should come in, IMO. Four days to turnover my money is ridiculous. Crypto can transfer money in more seconds...that's the entire theory behind it!
If it wasn't for insurance saleswomen, no money down real-estate types and BTC hustlers this would be one boring site.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

AlphaLess wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm Too late the knife has stopped falling.
Yes, my limit order executed at the exact bottom. I'm up 1.85% on that buy. I called it on the Wide World of the Web . I'm good at this. :greedy :beer
Last edited by J G Bankerton on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm I appreciate the comments and ideas! We simply wanted to know what would constitute the fastest way of making a purchase. Usually we simply direct monies out of our bank account when adding to our Roths, and we do so without trying to capture a certain price that has dipped.

This was different, we are self employed and our business is boom or bust. We didn't have the amount of money needed in the bank account to transfer and buy what we wanted. I chose to attempt to simply cash out some of my taxable account, which is a Franklin Templeton mutual fund, but I learned it would take roughly 4 days to even be able to access that money.

Long story short, we didn't do anything. How do people buy on the spot prices without a monster delay? This is where crypto should come in, IMO. Four days to turnover my money is ridiculous. Crypto can transfer money in more seconds...that's the entire theory behind it!
Two ways:
1. Add new funds to your settlement account from a linked bank account. As soon as you make the purchase, Vanguard will show funds available to trade, even before the money transfers.

2. Trade ETF's within your account. As soon as you sell the old position, the money is available to trade.

What you can't do is transfer from one account to another and expect to buy before the funds settle. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. Going the crypto route would be an extreme measure!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I didn't know people still call their broker to make a trade.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

aristotelian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 am
What you can't do is transfer from one account to another and expect to buy before the funds settle.
SEC rules to keep people from trading funds they don't actually have in a security. It probably stops arbitrage with securities one doesn't actually own.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 am
Yes, my limit order executed at the exact bottom. I'm up 1.85% on that buy. I called it on the Wide World of the Web . I'm good at this. :greedy :beer
How is it looking now?
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am This morning I attempted to contact Vanguard and make a transaction that would hopefully capture the dip. I have a taxable account that I was going to tap in order to fill the 4k remaining balance in my Roth.

Was it the first time you sell?
Time is the ultimate currency.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

AlphaLess wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 am
How is it looking now?
Last buy down .07%. So sad, I can't buy until Monday. :(
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:22 am
ivk5 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 am
If it wasn't for insurance saleswomen, no money down real-estate types and BTC hustlers this would be one boring site.
Buy and hold. Doesn't get more exciting than that!

Although the consternation about the current 3% PLUMMET would surely keep the excitement up.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Yellowhouse wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:59 pm I appreciate the comments and ideas! We simply wanted to know what would constitute the fastest way of making a purchase.
fastest way is you do an "Exchange", which is what I do. The Sell and Buy execute on the same day so you don't lose any time. Of course works only for Mutual Funds.

You think this is bad? I am in the process of moving my Rollover IRA into my 401k. Fidelity refuses to do it electronically even though both accounts are with Fidelity they said it's two different branches that don't talk to each other. They need to manually mail me a check and then I have to then manually deposit the check into my 401k. So, now I have $60k out of the market. I liquidated this at close on Monday and hope to deposit it in by EOD Tues next week so maybe it will work out in my favor, but the market can completely reverse as well on Mon/Tue, just never know.