[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MJW

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MJW » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

I wrapped up Season One of Narcos. I thought it was pretty good, but maybe not quite as good as I was expecting from the rave reviews? Either way, I plan on continuing to Season Two.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm

I just started re-watching Midsomer Murders.

This is a wonderful show. The mysteries are clever and inventive. There is always some interesting or unusual context. Examples: horse racing, hunting, sewing circles, literary club, historical re-enactments, competitive rabbit breeders, flower growers, concert orchestra, and everything in between. The characters are always well developed and interesting. They keep coming up with new ideas and somehow fit them into a single middle-class English county, Midsomer, and the seemingly endless list of small towns it contains. There is always conflict, jealousy and competition to supply plenty of suspects.

Despite the occasional humor the mysteries are complex and often shocking.

One of my favorite bits of humor is the episode with a conflict between two villages: Upper Warden and Lower Warden. Lower Warden is at a higher elevation than Upper Warden leading to confusion in driving to one or the other.We see nice manicured lawns and high-class shops in Upper Warden but abandoned bicycles and other clutter on the sidewalks and alley-ways of Lower Warden.

Another (never emphasized or even mentioned) aspect of the shows is how the detective's wife nearly always has, coincidentally, just joined some club, attended some event, or volunteered for some cause with which the murder victim and all the main suspects are involved. One reviewer joked that she was "the most elusive serial killer in the nation." My wife and I joke that, whenever she shows up, everyone else should head for the hills. "Run away! Run away!"

The show is in its 20th season and is as fresh as the first. And you will not soon run out of episodes to binge on!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Vikings... Can't get enough!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Rick and Morty, on Hulu. An animated series that's "out there". I just finished Season 1 and thought it was hilarious. If you like intense "adult-oriented" humor, this show is for you. Bear in mind this show originally aired at 1 AM for a reason. South Park can't come close.

Brookly Nine-Nine, on Hulu. A TV sitcom based in a Brooklyn (New York city) police precinct. You don't need to think too hard, so I watch these episodes during my workout. (Pull-ups and Push-ups)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 pm

stranger things
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Taz

Post by Taz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 am

Watching Babylon 5.
The destination matters.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am

I just finished the first season of Fargo and will continue watching. It's a great show! Billy Bob Thornton's performance is fantastic.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:42 am

Bodyguard on Netflix. Good show.

queso

Post by queso » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am

Dontwasteit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 pm
Vikings... Can't get enough!
I'm starting that next. Went through Breaking Bad, then on to Narcos Mexico, then finished The Last Kingdom (forgot how good that one was) and am about halfway through Haunting of Hill House. Unless something else grabs my eye Vikings is next.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:03 pm

jumbopapa wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am
I just finished the first season of Fargo and will continue watching. It's a great show! Billy Bob Thornton's performance is fantastic.
Each season of Fargo is based on a different premise and story. Unfortunately Billy Bob Thornton doesn't appear in seasons 2 and 3. And IMO those seasons are much worse for that.

If you want more of Billy Bob Thornton check out Goliath (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb on Amazon Prime.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 am
Harley BenV wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 am
I just finished DD season 3 and I was looking forward to season 4 and then a week back I heard Netflix slashed DD too.. :(

Anyway, I have started peaky blinders just now.. heard pretty good reviews of it and so far it looks good. I think I'll stick to it for now.

Btw, Movies are way to crappy on UK region netflix. Anyway How can I change my region for better movies? Read a couple of reviews but nothing looks convincing. https://www.vpnranks.com/purevpn-netflix/
DD?
Daredevil; at this point the only Netflix superhero show worth watching (I might watch another season of Punisher). The others - Jessica Jones (season 1 is decent), Luke Cage, Iron Fist... - are comically bad, makes you wonder how they even got funded.

Wife and I just finished "Killing Eve" season 1. Was really good until the ending, which was super odd.

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Taz wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 am
Watching Babylon 5.

Watched it a long time ago and enjoyed the series.

Just finished Season 5 of The 100 on Netflix. For those into sci-fi and dystopian storyline this is a great series. Can’t wait for Season 6.

After the devastating nuclear destruction of Earth, The 100, who are juvenile prisoners, are among the first people from “The Ark”, a giant space station built after the nuclear apocalypse, to return to Earth after 97 years. I like the character development from each of the main stars as the succeeding Seasons progress. One of my favorite characters is Octavia. She is wicked (in a good way). :wink:

The Expanse is an amazing series, too.

SLHI

Post by SLHI » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm

The Expanse, available on Amazon Prime.

It's a Sci-fi taking place in a futuristic setting in which humans have colonized Mars and the outer regions of our solar system. There's high political friction between Earth, Mars, and the outer planet governments, and the tragic destruction of The Canterbury sets into motion events that will effect all of humanity. It's formatted similar to how Game of Thrones is, following the point of view of a handful of different characters throughout each episode.

It's the very best/most faithful book-to-TV adaption I have ever seen. I binge-watched the first two seasons and then immediately began binge-listening to the audio-books (which have also quickly become favorites).

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm

SLHI wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm
It's the very best/most faithful book-to-TV adaption I have ever seen. I binge-watched the first two seasons and then immediately began binge-listening to the audio-books (which have also quickly become favorites)
Funny, I did not binge-listen but binge-read the book series after I watched the entire Seasons because I couldn't get enough of The Expanse. Anticipating the release of Book#8 "Tiamat's Wrath in 2019.

SLHI

Post by SLHI » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 pm

MariaT wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm
SLHI wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 pm
It's the very best/most faithful book-to-TV adaption I have ever seen. I binge-watched the first two seasons and then immediately began binge-listening to the audio-books (which have also quickly become favorites)
Funny, I did not binge-listen but binge-read the book series after I watched the entire Seasons because I couldn't get enough of The Expanse. Anticipating the release of Book#8 "Tiamat's Wrath in 2019.
Haha, I haven't been so invested in a story like this in so long. This series is like a drug addiction to me -- I'm always craving more and can't get enough of the books, and the characters are so well developed that I feel like I personally know them lol. I didn't realize the next book is coming out next year -- I'll have to catch up fast! I'm so glad Amazon decided to carry on the TV series too!

bpt

Post by bpt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:30 am

Endeavour.

Watched all six seasons and recommend it. PBS series.