How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
vtMaps

How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Post by vtMaps » Sun May 20, 2018 11:59 am

My wife's SS earnings record shows $0 for the year 1989. She met with a SS agent in Dec 2017 and presented a copy of her 1989 tax return and the W2 that showed she had paid into SS. As of this past Friday (May 18) her online earnings record is still $0 for 1989.

Anyone have experience with this? How long does it take for them to correct the record?

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

vtMaps

Re: How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Post by vtMaps » Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Bump. Is it reasonable for this to take five months? How much longer should my wife wait before contacting SS again?

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 pm

She should contact the agent she met with in December to ask about it.

Post by 123 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

I would think that it might take SSA up to a year after the meeting in the office to get the adjustment posted to their records. It might take another year for the online earnings record system to get the change (I presume like in most organizations the online system is not the "real" system).

If an earnings adjustment is processed in connection with a claim the adjustment will still get in the calculation for the claim even though it may not get posted in the earnings record system for quite some time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

ionball

Post by ionball » Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 pm

I corrected 2 different years separately. Each correction showed up on my statements about a year after I submitted W2s. One correction showed up 3 weeks less than a year and the other showed up 5 days less than a year. I don't recall how frequently I checked my statements, but it was probably in the range of 1-3 month intervals.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Wed May 23, 2018 2:17 am

Thanks for the data points. It appears that our 5 month wait is not out of the ordinary. I recall that the agent we met with last December said it might take a few months... she never mentioned that it might take a year.

--vtMaps

rennale

Post by rennale » Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 am

I think it's a matter of getting to talk to the right person. Like your wife, I too was missing an entire year of earnings on my SS record, and I had the W2 & Tax return. After initially going to my SS office and handing everything over, several months passed by and nothing happened.

I had to go back to the SS office for another reason and mentioned my earnings reporting issue. This time the lady I spoke to typed my name or SS number into some index and said "oh, this would be handled by xxx," who I spoke to when she freed up a few minutes later. She checked everything and said that she would fix it.

The record was corrected on www.ssa.gov in 48 hours.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Tue May 29, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm sitting on hold on the phone waiting to talk to someone after they changed my self-employment earnings for 2015 after I filed an amendment (no idea why, my earnings went up in the amendment, and I was already capped for SS). I plugged it into a calculator and it seems to be a whopping $30/year in social security at age 70. I think I'm hanging up and sending a letter =P

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Tue May 29, 2018 8:26 pm

This is fun. SSA says the numbers are reported electronically by the IRS and to call the IRS. The guy I spoke with at the IRS insists the IRS doesn't share information with the SSA (really...)

It may be time to give up an let the system win.

FOGU

Post by FOGU » Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Speak of the devil. I just corrected my earnings record with SSA. It was an error in earnings for the year 2006. Just got the formal written notice of change via US Mail a few days ago.

I had written a letter (US Mail) to the earnings record department in Maryland, with supporting documentation, asking them to correct the error. It took them about 6 weeks, but they wrote back with a formal notice telling me they had corrected the earnings record as requested. I checked my account on line and the change was reflected in the online information.

When I got the written response I thought to myself that I had never had anything go so smoothly when dealing with bureaucracy.

You need to write, with paper and postage stamps. Before US Mail I tried everything I could by telephone and online and got nowhere. Even went to the local SSA office, but the lobby had about 50 people waiting for service so I turned around and walked out and wrote my letter that day.

Don't know why yours should take so long.
~ Don't just do something. Sit there. ~

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 am

FOGU wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 pm
Speak of the devil. I just corrected my earnings record with SSA. It was an error in earnings for the year 2006.

When I got the written response I thought to myself that I had never had anything go so smoothly when dealing with bureaucracy.
Didn't every year but 2006 go more smoothly? :twisted: When things work properly they are taken for granted. If you want a good reputation you have to mess up just a little bit and then fix it quickly.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am

rennale wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 am
I think it's a matter of getting to talk to the right person. Like your wife, I too was missing an entire year of earnings on my SS record, and I had the W2 & Tax return. After initially going to my SS office and handing everything over, several months passed by and nothing happened.

I had to go back to the SS office for another reason and mentioned my earnings reporting issue. This time the lady I spoke to typed my name or SS number into some index and said "oh, this would be handled by xxx," who I spoke to when she freed up a few minutes later. She checked everything and said that she would fix it.

The record was corrected on www.ssa.gov in 48 hours.
UPDATE:
There's been some progress... my wife's story may turn out to be similar to rennale's story quoted above.

My wife spent quite a bit of time on the phone (mostly waiting) with SS yesterday and when the agent put her on hold to ask a supervisor what to do, she got disconnected.

She tried again this morning (50 minutes on the phone) and the agent said there was no record of any documents submitted to correct her earnings record. The agent suggested we begin the process anew. Fortunately my wife got the agent to give her a direct number to our local office (a 50 minute drive).

After 20 minutes hold, she spoke to ‘John’. John can see in her record that she submitted the 1989 tax documents over 5 months ago. He doesn’t know why the main SS office doesn’t see them if he can see them.

In any case, John said my wife’s documents were sent to ‘Molly’. John thinks that Molly has been reassigned to a different work unit and he’s not sure who should now be assigned to my wife’s documents. John will get to the bottom of all this and get back to my wife early next week.

--vtMaps

b4real

Post by b4real » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm

I went through this process a few years ago for my wife. Her SS had an incorrect earnings number from the early 1980’s that did not qualify towards her SS credits because it was too low. Getting credit for correct amount for that year was important to us so her SS would not be reduced due to the WEP (windfall elimination provision) and that year made the difference. Fortunately we have all our old tax returns and submitted the return and everything else they asked for. We checked with SS after several months of silence and they said it was being worked on. After about 10 months she got a letter from SS along with all the documents we submitted saying the earnings record had been corrected.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I had a year listed with zero earnings on my record. I called and the S.S. rep took the info. over the phone and then told me to mail them a copy of that page from my tax return for that year (fortunately I had it [more about that later]) and it took months to receive confirmation. I'm not sure how many months - maybe 5 or 6.

DW also had zero earnings for 2 consecutive years when she worked at a hospital during the 1980s. She no longer has the tax returns or payroll stubs for those years and the hospital payroll office claims that they don't have records that go back that far. When I explained that to the S.S. rep. she told me that she remembers that that hospital had "opted out" of participating in the Social Security program for those 2 years! Does that sound plausible? I wonder if that's a "go away" line that they use when they can't offer any help. I've heard that some police departments opt out of S.S. but never a hospital, and for 2 years only? Any ideas?

gensuki

Post by gensuki » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Unfortunately my Social Security earnings could not be corrected. In 1998, I had inadvertently filled out the schedule SE form using my earnings but accidentally putting my husband's social security number on the form. Actually, I was using TurboTax and it by default put his social security number in since I was just the spouse and I did not catch it. This resulted in my getting zero earnings for that year and it was put on my husband's Social Security earnings record instead. We did not know for many years that this had happened. I found out by going to the Social Security Office to correct my earnings (assuming it was their error) and they told me, once we figured out what really happened, it had to be corrected by IRS. However by that time, the 3-year deadline for amendments to taxes was long gone and I could not get it corrected. Therefore I will not get those earnings reflected in my pension. The earnings won't do any good for my husband either because he is a federal worker and does not get Social Security.

Oh well. :(

vtMaps

UPDATE Re: How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Post by vtMaps » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 am

Here’s the update:
On November 1, 2018 my wife sent this letter to our congressman:
Dear Congressman Welch,

I am writing to ask your help with a Social Security problem.

My earnings record at Social Security is incorrect. It shows that I had no income in 1989.

On December 22, 2017, I had an appointment in the Montpelier Social Security office to begin receiving Medicare benefits and to correct my earnings record.

I took a copy of my 1989 tax return (including the original W2) with me, and Social Security agent Nicole made copies, returned them to me, and said it would be a few months before I would see the correction online.

Over six months later, on June 1, 2018 my husband (on my behalf) called the Montpelier Social Security office and spoke with John. John told my husband that my case had been assigned to Molly, but Molly has recently been reassigned to a different task. John said he would look into it and call us back next week. We never heard from him.

In our most recent call (August 13, 2018), my husband spoke with Brad, who told my husband that no one was working on earnings corrections, but Amanda would soon begin tackling the backlog. He told my husband that we should expect to see my earnings corrected by the end of September 2018.

As of today (more than 10 months after my initial appointment), my earnings record still shows no income in 1989. Is it normal to take so long to correct an earnings record? I will be 66 in four months and I would like to know what my Social Security benefit will be after the earnings correction.

If you can help me resolve this problem I would be a most grateful constituent. If it will facilitate matters, feel free to contact me by email or telephone.

Sincerely,
Ms. vtMaps
A week later my wife got an email from the congressman’s staff asking for a privacy waiver so that they could talk to SS about her account. Another week later she received a letter from SS stating that her 1989 income had been corrected.

—vtMaps

Silk McCue

Re: UPDATE Re: How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am

vtMaps wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 am

A week later my wife got an email from the congressman’s staff asking for a privacy waiver so that they could talk to SS about her account. Another week later she received a letter from SS stating that her 1989 income had been corrected.

—vtMaps
Let's hear it for the Congressman for getting the job done!

Thanks for the update.

Cheers

CyclingDuo

Re: UPDATE Re: How long does it take for SS to fix earnings record?

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm

vtMaps wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 am

—vtMaps
Kudos to you for having the patience of Job! Congrats on your letter to the Congressman and the end result.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright