New QUIET Tires for Accord

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gmc4h232

New QUIET Tires for Accord

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

I am looking at getting some new tires for my 2014 Accord Sport. The past 2 sets (Goodyear Eagle OEM; Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2) have been extremely noisy after approximately 15,000 miles.

I am looking at CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires by Pirelli. My question is, does anybody know if tirerack.com or other online tire retailers ever run Pirelli promotions?

Also, does anyone have an additional recommendation for quiet tires that stay quiet?

Kenkat

Re: New QUIET Tires for Accord

Post by Kenkat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm

I had the Pirelli P7’s on my 2005 Camry and they did not wear well at all. I know they are highly rated on Tire Rack but that was my experience. I have had good luck with Goodyear ComforTred as a good tire with good wear and quiet performance.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

For keeping tires quiet, maintain your tires well. This means rotating them every 10k miles or less (just do rotations with oil changes), maintaining tire pressure, maintaining alignment (poor wear due to alignment issues will cause noisy tires), and making sure your suspension is in good shape (bad shocks or similar will cause uneven wear which will cause noisy tires)

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm
I am looking at getting some new tires for my 2014 Accord Sport. The past 2 sets (Goodyear Eagle OEM; Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2) have been extremely noisy after approximately 15,000 miles.

I am looking at CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires by Pirelli. My question is, does anybody know if tirerack.com or other online tire retailers ever run Pirelli promotions?

Also, does anyone have an additional recommendation for quiet tires that stay quiet?
I suggest looking at the Assurance WeatherReady by Goodyear: excellent road noise by all accounts, and notably better performance in winter and wet conditions. Currently ever-so-slightly cheaper than the Pirelli tires with the mail-in rebate from Goodyear.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm

badger42 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm
For keeping tires quiet, maintain your tires well. This means rotating them every 10k miles or less (just do rotations with oil changes), maintaining tire pressure, maintaining alignment (poor wear due to alignment issues will cause noisy tires), and making sure your suspension is in good shape (bad shocks or similar will cause uneven wear which will cause noisy tires)
I do all of this. I wonder if accords are less insulated to comparable other models. My ears are literally ringing after a 3 hr trip.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm

vineviz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:

I suggest looking at the Assurance WeatherReady by Goodyear: excellent road noise by all accounts, and notably better performance in winter and wet conditions. Currently ever-so-slightly cheaper than the Pirelli tires with the mail-in rebate from Goodyear.
I concur on the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. My old Goodyear’s were pretty loud on a 2013 Accord EX-L and switched to these and found significant noise improvement.

So far they have good performance too, but haven’t had a serious snow storm to test them in. Well NJ had one, but I was driving my 4Runner which didn’t even notice :-)

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm
vineviz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:

I concur on the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. My old Goodyear’s were pretty loud on a 2013 Accord EX-L and switched to these and found significant noise improvement.

So far they have good performance too, but haven’t had a serious snow storm to test them in. Well NJ had one, but I was driving my 4Runner which didn’t even notice :-)
Do you know approximately how many miles you have on them? Id like to find some tires that not only start out quiet, but stay quiet after ~30k miles. Maybe that's asking too much.

fireworks007

Post by fireworks007 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:25 pm

I ran Continental ExtremeContact DWS and found them to be quieter than the GoodYear tires they replaced. Worth checking out reviews, tend to a bit pricier but decent all-season tire.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm
badger42 wrote:
I do all of this. I wonder if accords are less insulated to comparable other models. My ears are literally ringing after a 3 hr trip.
The Sport trim might be less insulated than other trim levels by design for two reasons: because Honda drivers who choose Sport or Si trim levels tend to prefer more road noise, and because noise dampening materials add weight which decreases performance.

That said, the 2014 Accord has "Active Noise Cancellation" as a feature and you might might have it checked the next time your car is in for service. If it's not functioning that could possibly be part of the problem. Damaged door and window seals might also be something to look for.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm

badger42 wrote:
Agree with this. I have never had a set of tires that got significantly noisier with time (though some started noisy from day 1). Assuming the noise is really coming from the tires, sounds like you have a wear problem. If that is the case, doesn't matter what kind of tires you have they will all get louder with time until you fix the issue.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Also, your probably already know this but let me add that many tires are directional and should not be rotated from left to right (or vice versa). Only front to back.

The Ventus S1 Noble 2 are not directional, so this likely isn't your problem, but it's worth remembering and reminding your service provider.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 pm
Do you know approximately how many miles you have on them? Id like to find some tires that not only start out quiet, but stay quiet after ~30k miles. Maybe that's asking too much.
I have only had them about 6 months, less than 7,000 miles. They are much quieter at the beginning than the old ones (never really happy with them).

BTW, I am sorry, I forgot just what we bought, I checked the receipt, they are the quiet tread version not the serious snow tire version.

I purchased the Assurance ComforTred Touring tires, not the WeatherReady version.

I now remember that the sales guy told me the reports on winter on the ComforTred had been very positive and that for my area (NJ) the WeatherReady were not really all that much better and he recommended the ComforTred since I was complaining about the road noise on the old ones.

The previous tires were the OEM (second set) Goodyear Assurance All-season Tires. They were good in winter, but noisy and not all that good / comfortable ride....

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Just got the Goodyear Assurance Outlast 80,000 mile tires at wally world black Friday sale discounted and free install.
So far I like them, but it's only been a couple of weeks. :D

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:56 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
badger42 wrote:
We have a bingo. You'll probably be able to reduce noise in the cabin as much, or more via installation of sound absorbing material like dynamat or mass loaded vinyl. Getting some quieter tires will help some, but there's only so much you can do on an econobox that doesn't have the sound insulation of a higher end car

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Just a possibility. That trim has 19" wheels and little sidewalls to cushion road noise. You might consider some 17" wheels. Tires will be cheaper too.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 pm

MI_bogle wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:56 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:
badger42 wrote:
We have a bingo. You'll probably be able to reduce noise in the cabin as much, or more via installation of sound absorbing material like dynamat or mass loaded vinyl. Getting some quieter tires will help some, but there's only so much you can do on an econobox that doesn't have the sound insulation of a higher end car
Oh? Tell me more about dynamat and mass loaded vinyl!

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:00 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Honda's are not known to be the quietest of cars. The Accord Sport is a performance oriented ride so it's always going to be louder than other Accords.

I'm not familiar with the noise cancelling, but I would consider researching that further. I test drove a 2013 Accord it was middle of the road as far as noise.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am

gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 pm
MI_bogle wrote:
gmc4h232 wrote:
badger42 wrote:
They are materials you can purchase and install in the car that dampen vibrations and absorb/block sound. If you google around there are a bunch of car forum threads on it, and several places that sell kits to do it.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Funny to read this post as I just got new tires for a Honda Accord LE. I used Consumer Reports best rated tires report and got the General Altimax RT 43 (T). I wasn't looking for noise reduction more interested in snow and ice actually BUT the car is noisy. I noticed the car was less noisy after getting the Altimax, but my partner - the person who generally drives the car - brought the issue up totally on their own - totally delighted by the quieter car.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm

URSnshn wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Funny to read this post as I just got new tires for a Honda Accord LE. I used Consumer Reports best rated tires report and got the General Altimax RT 43 (T). I wasn't looking for noise reduction more interested in snow and ice actually BUT the car is noisy. I noticed the car was less noisy after getting the Altimax, but my partner - the person who generally drives the car - brought the issue up totally on their own - totally delighted by the quieter car.
I replaced the Pirelli P7’s referenced above with the same Generals you mentioned. Happy so far and they are very competitive in terms of pricing as well.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 pm

I have the same car and I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S:
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michel ... port-a-s-3

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 pm
I have the same car and I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S:
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michel ... port-a-s-3
100% agree. We run the Sport A/S on our fairly large, heavy two door convertible and the tires run super smooth and quiet.

Most models of Michelin tire will run significantly quieter, especially as the tire ages and wears, than most any other tire brand. In general with tires you typically gets what you pay in terms of overall balance of quality. Hard to beat Costco prices on installed tires especially on sale. Costco sells several models of Michelin and have very good sales every couple months on Michelin brand tires. If they don't normally stock a size or type they can also order in any model tire Michelin you want into the store in apprx 5-7 days.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:11 am

MI_bogle wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 am
gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:00 pm
MI_bogle wrote:
gmc4h232 wrote:
badger42 wrote:
They are materials you can purchase and install in the car that dampen vibrations and absorb/block sound. If you google around there are a bunch of car forum threads on it, and several places that sell kits to do it.
I REALLY need to learn about this pronto! Just replaced my old Michelins with PIrelli tires from Discount. They no longer made the Michelins that I started with and I had one tire each from '12, '13, '14 and '15. Road hazard replacements. Toyota Venza with less than 80k miles but it seems to be getting noisy with age.
Had struts done last year, tires last month and I'm going to try the floormat application before I drive to Vegas next week! Thank you!
"not all storms are in the forecast"

Socal77

Post by Socal77 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am

Pretty much every consumer decision this day is a rabbit hole (probably for the better but there are trade-offs too).

I had a Honda Civic coupe a while back and greatly improved the ride quality with a next to the top tier Michelin all season.

I have a Corolla S now and greatly improved the ride quality with Continental All season touring.

My go to brands for tires are Michelin and Continental, All season touring editions. Not necessarily the top of the line choice but towards the top.
Last edited by Socal77 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

multiham

Post by multiham » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am

Question for the op. Why did you buy the sport version of the Accord? Just asking, because if it was for performance, you are really going to give up some grip and feel with touring tires. I have a VW Golf R which has 4 wheel drive and a lot of horsepower. I have both summer tires (these would not make it through any snow) and winter tires (Michelin Ice). I never push the car in the winter with the Michelin tires on it because they are designed for snow and ice, not top level performance.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 am

OP,

I have a few thoughts for you. One is that Accords were never quiet cars, though they do get quieter with each major redesign. I can tell you that 2014 is MUCH more quiet compared to my 2003, but it's louder than comparable Toyota or Nissan. If the noise really bothers you, you bought the wrong car; even the quietest tire isn't going to fix it for you. I am speaking from experience.

Second, all tires get louder as they age. No exception.

Third, on to your specific question. I currently have P7s. They replaced Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires 2 years ago; those were the best tires my Accord ever had - quiet, good handling, longest lasting. I couldn't get direct replacement - Michelin replaced them with the Premier model, so that's what I ordered. I was not happy - they seemed little louder and the ride was little harsher compared to Primacy, so I had DT swap them (for free) with Pirelli P7s that were highly rated by CR. My impression was that they were on par with Premier's they just replaced - same noise level, same handling, same comfort. I kept them since they were little cheaper than Michelins.

I now have about 30K miles on them, and they will be done in the next 5K miles - not much thread left in them. Lasted about half of what Michelins tend to last on my Accord. For that reason, I would not recommend them, and I will stick with Michelins going forward. That's my advise to you - stick to Michelins - they will be the quietest, best handling, most comfortable, longest lasting tire. You will pay premium for it, so make sure you buy it on sale, whether at DT, Costco, or tirerack.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 pm

multiham wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am
Question for the op. Why did you buy the sport version of the Accord? Just asking, because if it was for performance, you are really going to give up some grip and feel with touring tires. I have a VW Golf R which has 4 wheel drive and a lot of horsepower. I have both summer tires (these would not make it through any snow) and winter tires (Michelin Ice). I never push the car in the winter with the Michelin tires on it because they are designed for snow and ice, not top level performance.
I bought it because I needed a car and it was available at the auction and I liked the looks of it and the price was acceptable.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:05 pm

snowman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 am
OP,

I have a few thoughts for you. One is that Accords were never quiet cars, though they do get quieter with each major redesign. I can tell you that 2014 is MUCH more quiet compared to my 2003, but it's louder than comparable Toyota or Nissan. If the noise really bothers you, you bought the wrong car; even the quietest tire isn't going to fix it for you. I am speaking from experience.

If I can get 200k miles out of this car with no major issues then I can continue to live with the noise. I have no other beef with the car and like it a lot otherwise. Will look into avalon or es350 for its replacement when the time comes.

Agree with your second point.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:05 pm
snowman wrote:
OP,

If I can get 200k miles out of this car with no major issues then I can continue to live with the noise. I have no other beef with the car and like it a lot otherwise. Will look into avalon or es350 for its replacement when the time comes.

Funny you say that - this is exactly how I felt 16 years ago! Every year I loved the car more and more, except for the noise level. Eventually, I got used to that as well. It now has 235K miles, besides routine maintenance all I had to fix was to replace alternator at 150K, and starter at 190K miles. That's it!

That's also the downside of Accord, if you can call it that. You will have to wait many years to buy that Lexus/Toyota, and it's quite possible once you get there in 15-20 years, the noise level won't bother you anymore...

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
badger42 wrote:
How are your wheel bearings? What I attributed to my winter tires turned out to be that.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:48 pm

vineviz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:
Also, your probably already know this but let me add that many tires are directional and should not be rotated from left to right (or vice versa). Only front to back.

The Ventus S1 Noble 2 are not directional, so this likely isn't your problem, but it's worth remembering and reminding your service provider.
If the tires have lots of cross section tread /voids/ "blocky tread" then wear will make them noisier with time unless they are rotated such that left sides go to right,right sides go to left,but some tires are not supposed to have that done (directional tires?) Full X rotation vs. modified "X"? Car owner's manual or tire manufacturer's manual?
some sources used to say to never change the direction of a radial tire but I suspect that advice was out of date or specific to a certain brand,not to be named,that tended to experience "tread seperations" a catastrophic failure on par with a blowout.

Grip and durability are more important to me than quiet in a tire. Wet traction?
I don't like thin little "rubber bands" (extreme low profile tires) on oversize rims such as are popular today. Belong only on the racetrack in my opinion. Rather have 60 or higher profile. Lowering the profile however was beneficial when compared to 100 profile or 80 profile (old time skinny narrow buggy tires like the 1940's)

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 pm

snowman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm
gmc4h232 wrote:
snowman wrote:
OP,

Funny you say that - this is exactly how I felt 16 years ago! Every year I loved the car more and more, except for the noise level. Eventually, I got used to that as well. It now has 235K miles, besides routine maintenance all I had to fix was to replace alternator at 150K, and starter at 190K miles. That's it!

That's also the downside of Accord, if you can call it that. You will have to wait many years to buy that Lexus/Toyota, and it's quite possible once you get there in 15-20 years, the noise level won't bother you anymore...
Because I'll be deaf?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm
I had the Pirelli P7’s on my 2005 Camry and they did not wear well at all.
I think the tires that have longer life are going to be noisier because the rubber is harder. I don't think you are going to get a quiet tire and a long life tire. Pick one or the other.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:03 am

munemaker wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:46 pm
Kenkat wrote:
I had the Pirelli P7’s on my 2005 Camry and they did not wear well at all.
I think the tires that have longer life are going to be noisier because the rubber is harder. I don't think you are going to get a quiet tire and a long life tire. Pick one or the other.
That is probably true but the P7’s are supposed to last 70k miles. Not all that quiet and not long tread life - they were the worst of both worlds.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am

I've had excellent luck with goodyear assurance comfortred tires. My SO has them on an accord and likes them. No noise, sure footing, and they wear well.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 am

Kenkat wrote:
I had the Pirelli P7’s on my 2005 Camry and they did not wear well at all. I know they are highly rated on Tire Rack but that was my experience. I have had good luck with Goodyear ComforTred as a good tire with good wear and quiet performance.
I've had two sets of pirellis. They wore quickly, were terrible in snow, one tire blew out, and the others had to be repaired more than other tires I've owned. There will not be a third set.

snowman

Post by snowman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 am

gmc4h232 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 pm
snowman wrote:
gmc4h232 wrote:
snowman wrote:
OP,

Because I'll be deaf?
No, because you will get used to it. Millions of other Accord owners did over the last several decades. It has always been the case, for as long as I can remember, that Accord is a louder car and handles better than Camry. Camry, on the other hand, has always been quieter inside, and offered more comfortable drive. If you test drove those 2 cars back to back, you had to notice it, it's quiet obvious! Has been like that for decades.

What I am saying is that if the noise level really bothers you that much - and that's normal, BTW, millions of people would never buy Accord for that reason alone - you bought the wrong car. You should have bought Toyota instead. No tire, no matter how quiet, is going to eliminate or significantly reduce the amount of road noise Accords (and Hondas in general) are famous for.

I am not trying to be negative. All I am saying is that people have different tolerances for noise level inside the car. And some people, like my wife for example, cannot even tell the difference between Accord and Lexus! So if quiet car is an important attribute to you, and you have not gotten used to Accord's noise level in 4 years, I suggest you replace it with Toyota/Lexus now, you will be much happier! Or, as an alternative, for about $10K more, you can buy yourself Accord with excellent soundproofing - Acura. Otherwise, you are looking for 15 more years of trouble-free driving.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:53 am

snowman wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 am
gmc4h232 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 pm
snowman wrote:
gmc4h232 wrote:
snowman wrote:
OP,

Because I'll be deaf?
No, because you will get used to it. Millions of other Accord owners did over the last several decades. It has always been the case, for as long as I can remember, that Accord is a louder car and handles better than Camry. Camry, on the other hand, has always been quieter inside, and offered more comfortable drive. If you test drove those 2 cars back to back, you had to notice it, it's quiet obvious! Has been like that for decades.

What I am saying is that if the noise level really bothers you that much - and that's normal, BTW, millions of people would never buy Accord for that reason alone - you bought the wrong car. You should have bought Toyota instead. No tire, no matter how quiet, is going to eliminate or significantly reduce the amount of road noise Accords (and Hondas in general) are famous for.

I am not trying to be negative. All I am saying is that people have different tolerances for noise level inside the car. And some people, like my wife for example, cannot even tell the difference between Accord and Lexus! So if quiet car is an important attribute to you, and you have not gotten used to Accord's noise level in 4 years, I suggest you replace it with Toyota/Lexus now, you will be much happier! Or, as an alternative, for about $10K more, you can buy yourself Accord with excellent soundproofing - Acura. Otherwise, you are looking for 15 more years of trouble-free driving.
Didnt think about acura. Probably a good blend of quiet and sport.