Warm Sleepwear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Alf 101

Warm Sleepwear

Post by Alf 101 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:34 pm

So with the holidays looking, I have began looking for gift ideas for my hard to buy for family. In a phone conversation with my mother, though, she mentioned how she'd like warmer sleepwear

My mom is in her early 70s, lives in a northern climate, and isn't a very large person. So this seems legit. She could probably get a heavier comforter, or just turn up the heat, but warmer sleepwear should also help.

The thing is, I am way out of my league here, and not quite sure where to start. I was considering heavy long underwear from REI or EMS, or checking out LL Bean. I figured, with Bogleheads rumored to be a frugal lot, maybe some on this site also keep their heat low in the winter, and have addressed this very question...

sport

Re: Warm Sleepwear

Post by sport » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Here is one product. They have others as well.
https://www.costco.com/Munki-Munki-Ladi ... 07376.html

Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 pm

silk long underwear is really nice. these are less expensive and I have loved wearing the tops under my pjs, sweaters, etc:
https://www.landsend.com/products/women ... ku_0=::F6H

an electric blanket or throw is really nice to heat the bed if she doesn't have one.
good luck

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:01 pm

For something warm and comfortable for older people, you'll want to get flannel with high % (100%) in cotton. No silk, rayon or polyester.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:56 am

I love long underwear on cold nights, but for an older woman she would probably like either a flannel nightgown (Lanz of Salzburg is "classic") or flannel pjs. Try to find out which she prefers before buying, nightgown or pjs.

alec

Post by alec » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:19 am

Limoncello402 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:56 am
I love long underwear on cold nights, but for an older woman she would probably like either a flannel nightgown (Lanz of Salzburg is "classic") or flannel pjs. Try to find out which she prefers before buying, nightgown or pjs.
:thumbsup my parents r in their 70s and wear flannel pajamas.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 am

I can't help with warm sleepwear. For years though I have used a heated mattress pad and love it. Mine has dual controls (queen size) for each side and goes from 1 to 10. It is nice to be able to adjust the heat in just the bed depending on conditions. The heat also comes from below which I much prefer to an electric blanket. Mine also gives more heat at the feet since those tend to be colder than the rest of the body.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 am

Garnet Hill and LLBean are good sources for flannel sleepwear. You do need to find out if she prefers nightgowns or pajamas and, if she prefers pajamas, make sure she doesn't mind buttons on pajama tops before going that route.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 am
I can't help with warm sleepwear. For years though I have used a heated mattress pad and love it. Mine has dual controls (queen size) for each side and goes from 1 to 10. It is nice to be able to adjust the heat in just the bed depending on conditions. The heat also comes from below which I much prefer to an electric blanket. Mine also gives more heat at the feet since those tend to be colder than the rest of the body.
+1

We love our heated mattress pad!

I find LLBean pajamas to be the warmest (and the pants usually include pockets, a rarity in women's PJs). On really cold nights, a fleece lined flannel shirt jac is a good addition over a lighter weight top.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am

If you are considering bedding rather than sleepwear, I HIGHLY recommend Cuddle Duds brand fleece (not flannel) sheets from Kohls. I've given them as gifts to family in the north and everyone who has received them loves them.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:26 am

You may want to look into bamboo based fabrics. They are really soft and comfortable.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 am

Toadandfriends wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 pm
silk long underwear is really nice. these are less expensive and I have loved wearing the tops under my pjs, sweaters, etc:
https://www.landsend.com/products/women ... ku_0=::F6H

an electric blanket or throw is really nice to heat the bed if she doesn't have one.
good luck
My 87 yo mom uses these too.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 am

I just sleep under 2 bed spreads during the cold months in Chicago. I keep the thermostat at 63 deg overnight to conserve gas. 2 bedspreads works like layering and traps a lot of insulating air.

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 pm

For years, I have slept in brushed-back satin pajamas in the winter. They are pretty and very warm. The brand I like is Miss Elaine, from Macy's or Dillards.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:12 am

In addition to flannel night gowns or flannel PJs, consider a "bed jacket". If she is still cold wearing flannels, the bed jacket is extra insurance she will be cozy while sleeping or sitting up in bed.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cera-Womens-Butt ... bed+jacket

I put a heated mattress pad on my mom's bed and covered her with a down duvet because she was always cold, especially in her last years.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 pm

A quilted vest over PJs has worked well for my elderly parents. My mother says it keeps her warm without feeling bulky in her sleep. The keys are: up a size for more comfort; buttons/snap front (zippers are uncomfortable in sleep); not puffer/down vest. Something like this:
https://www.landsend.com/products/women ... /id_325904

Good luck OP.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm prone to night sweats. The best sleepwear I've found to date is US military surplus cold weather wear base layers. They're warm even when wet.

They come in three different weights. The lightest works best for me as sleep wear.

I also use them when I'm working outside in the winter such as shoveling snow. Double duty!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Would bed socks be a nice thing to consider? I've never had much circulation in my feet and it's worse the older I get, so I'm a fan of bed socks. I'd go microfiber for price point, cashmere if you want to take up the warmth and luxury.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Vermont Country Store sells old-fashioned flannel nightgowns.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 pm

annielouise wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
+1

We love our heated mattress pad!

I find LLBean pajamas to be the warmest (and the pants usually include pockets, a rarity in women's PJs). On really cold nights, a fleece lined flannel shirt jac is a good addition over a lighter weight top.
Yes, yes, yes! I LOVE my heated mattress pad. In fact, I've thought about buying a back-up in case mine should die so I won't need to go even one winter night without it. I turn my heat down to 66 degrees at night. Cold room, warm bed is the key for me for a good night's sleep.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:13 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Absolutely this--the heated matress pad is one of the great inventions of the modern world. We like to keep the house cool at night, both to save money as well as because it helps us breathe easier. Mine is simple with five levels, and I usually start out at 3, working down to 2 or 1 later on. My wife used to have to have 2 blankets, a comforter and a duvet to be comfortable. Now we're good with a thin blanket and an old thin comforter.

We killed one a few years ago by not following the washing instructions. After spending 15 minutes troubleshooting, I went directly to Sam's Club and bought another.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 am

How about a Snuggie?
https://snuggiestore.com