VMVFX & low volatility performance

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Portfolio7

VMVFX & low volatility performance

Post by Portfolio7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

VMVFX is Vanguard's Global Minimum Volatility Fund, and intrigues me. I don't have time for a full workup and compare, but have pulled this together:

VMVFX is about 60% US 40% Foreign per the Vanguard composition detail.
It's a World small-midcap fund, per the morningstar category, but the style box puts it in large blend.
The more detailed box puts it right on the line between large cap and mid cap.
For it's relatively short life, the Standard Deviation has been about half of the benchmark, about 6% vs 12%.
Currently it's about 80% Equity, 20% Cash, per Morningstar. I'm not sure I understand that, I would think Equity should be 90-95%.

Theoretically, such a fund should perform pretty close to it's long term benchmark, lagging during good times and outperforming during the worse times. So far it seems to be doing that, but it hasn't been tested by a 30-40% drop in the indexes yet. Still, it seemed to perform well during the recent correction. Since 2014, compared to a slice and dice portfolio 60/40 (1) or a 3 fund portfolio 60/40 (2) using 40% spy and 20% VXUS, the std deviation of a 90/10 VMVFX/VBTLX (3) is comparable. (VBTLX=total bond). As you might expect with a 90/10 composition, the return from portfolio (3) is highest of the three portfolios, and with high return low risk, it has the best Sharpe and Sortino ratios. A US-only 60/40 two fund portfolio has an 8.02% return and 5.8% SD over the same period. Low vol is reportedly usually sensitive to rates, so maybe that provided a tailwind from 2014 to 2017.

Portfolio Initial Final CAGR Stdev Best Year Worst Year Max. Drawdown Sharpe Ratio Sortino Ratio
Portfolio 1 $10,000 $13,079 6.03% 6.09% 15.53% -1.62% -8.16% 0.93 1.51
Portfolio 2 $10,000 $13,382 6.56% 5.87% 15.59% -0.18% -6.18% 1.04 1.82
Portfolio 3 $10,000 $15,399 9.88% 5.66% 14.69% 4.63% -4.07% 1.62 3.06

These kind of numbers are very interesting in context of sequence of returns risk near retirement, not to mention everyday accumulation. This seems like 'have your cake and eat it too' territory... so now to poke holes. I'm not sure I can with this particular fund, but...

Other min vol / low vol funds don't seem to be quite as successful. Consider the SD of Large Cap US min Vol Funds vs Spy 1/16-3/18 which seem to be far less successful:
SPY 8.88
USMV 7.78
SPLV 8.19
AUENX 7.80
LGLV 8.36
The same seems to be true for smaller cap US funds like XMLV, XSLV, SMLV - they beat the benchmark Std Dev, but only marginally.
This level of performance seems unremarkable in general, and I'm not impressed with the data.

ACWV, the ishares large cap global min vol etf, seems to tread territory between the US MV funds and VMVFX, with a SD about 2/3 of benchmark since 2011. That seems like decent performance.

I may be missing big pieces of the puzzle, but I though I'd lay this out for consideration. I should disclose I own 7% VMVFX in my 401K, and some ACWV in my (small) IRAs. Questions I continue to think about:
Is Minimum Volatility the same thing as Low Volatility? I'm not sure if the Vanguard fund may have a different approach?
Or does Vanguard have some secret sauce?
Or is the outperformance Temporary?
Does the global coverage provide better scope for implementation?
If not, what explains the apparent relative outperformance of two Int'l funds relative to several Domestic funds? Or is that just chance?
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

garlandwhizzer

Re: VMVFX & low volatility performance

Post by garlandwhizzer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I believe that VMVFX is a well managed active fund for those who wish a low cost global low volatility approach to investing. How it will perform in the future, like everything else in investing, is not accurately predictable beforehand except to say that it is expected be less volatile both on upside and downside market action. For those looking to have global equity exposure but de-risk it, it's definitely worth a look IMO. I do believe that active manager skill over a long time frame, although extremely rare, does exist (Primecap, Wellington). Low Vol is supposed to outperform long term but as its popularity increases that may not be true in the future. It's not a bad place to hang out if you believe that FANGS and LCG are due for serious setbacks in the near/intermediate term future.

Garland Whizzer

Steadfast

Post by Steadfast » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm

I have watched this fund since its inception. What really appealed to me was prospectively was: (1) low cost, (2) global equity coverage, and (3) the potential diversification benefits.

Mostly, it does what it says. What it says is:

"It is reasonable for investors to expect, on average, for a minimum volatility fund to outperform the overall global market in sharp downturns and trail the market in strong bull markets."

and importantly:

"...we caution against expecting any low or minimum volatility investment to outperform, or even match, the global equity market over the long term."

I'm totally OK with these as expectations and limitations, given our personal financial situation.

Today, about 25% of our equities are in this fund. The rest of equities are in low cost index funds, and we have bonds as well.

Looking at past performance, yeah, the sharpe and sortino ratios have been off the charts relative to reasonable benchmarks. That's not a reason to buy it in my opinion, but, there it is.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

hdas

Post by hdas » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm

This is a good resource to explore the low vol issue: https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Alpha-Se ... ding+alpha

Cheers :greedy
Stay the course and buy some more.

PlateVoltage

Post by PlateVoltage » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:21 pm

hdas wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm
This is a good resource to explore the low vol issue: https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Alpha-Se ... ding+alpha

Cheers :greedy
The author makes this book freely available on his website:
http://falkenblog.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... a-pdf.html

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Portfolio7 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm
I may be missing big pieces of the puzzle, but I thought I'd lay this out for consideration. I should disclose I own 7% VMVFX in my 401K, and some ACWV in my (small) IRAs. Questions I continue to think about:

1) Is Minimum Volatility the same thing as Low Volatility? I'm not sure if the Vanguard fund may have a different approach?
2) Or does Vanguard have some secret sauce?
3) Or is the outperformance Temporary?
4) Does the global coverage provide better scope for implementation?
5) If not, what explains the apparent relative outperformance of two Int'l funds relative to several Domestic funds? Or is that just chance?
I've been studying Vanguard Global Min Vol and iShares MSCI Global Min Vol (ACWV) the last few weeks and I, too, am very impressed with both of these funds and the whole Min Vol factor itself. Most likely I am going to buy one or the other at the beginning of next year (leaning to the Vanguard fund). (I already own iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Min Vol ETF (EEMV) and it has had very good performance over the years.)

1. Minimum Volatility or Low Volatility or Minimum Variance or Low Beta all mean the same thing. Some may quibble saying that there are some differences to each definition, but when these words are used in a fund's name or description, they are all describing a fund with the same desired outcome - low beta.

2. I read an interview with one of the Vanguard bigwigs (can't remember who) a while back and they said not to expect the same outperformance in the future as the fund is not designed for that. They were surprised it had done so well. Since passively indexed ACWV has also outperformed, I would say the outperformance has been luck. (However, I think there is a good chance both funds do outperform over 10+ years, except if there is a high inflation environment - that is min vol's Achilles Heel.)

3. However, I do think that the more volatile a market segment a min vol fund covers, the greater the potential for outperformance. That is why the emerging markets segment probably has the most upside potential using a min vol strategy. I would say long-term (greater than 10 years), a US min vol strategy has the least chance of outperforming.

4. The Vanguard fund is always partly to mostly hedged to the US dollar. This further reduces volatility, but it is unclear if it gives it a performance edge. Both funds have beaten the hedged and unhedged Global indexes.

5. If iShares is correct, the daily standard deviation of the market has been going up over the decades. See the bottom of page 2: https://www.ishares.com/us/literature/i ... -us-en.pdf I am only guessing, but I think that has to do with programmed buying & selling where financial computers buy and sell on their own and magnify the natural ups & downs of the market. If that is so, then this is good for min vol strategies!!