Vanguard has switched to brokerage only accounts

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Mike14

Re: Vanguard has switched to brokerage only accounts

Post by Mike14 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am
The "year-to-date" refers to the totals. The "transaction" section is only for the current quarter.

I think on the old platform the reports might have had year-to-date transactions.
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:57 pm
Yes, the old platform was actually a REAL YTD because it showed all transactions YTD. Therefore, you only had to retain one statement to have all YTD transactions and then the December statement to have all of the transactions for the year.
How are you guys generating YTD statements?
I'm on the old platform, and I get quarterly statements, which only contain transactions for that quarter. Once a year, there is the annual statement that contains all transactions for that year.

But it sounds like on the Brokerage platform, quarterly statements are still generated (showing transactions for the quarter), but no annual statements containing all transactions?

Has anybody tried to downgrade back to the old platform?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:17 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:01 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 pm
My Vanguard brokerage statements are "Year to Date". Not sure why others seem to be having problems getting their statements that way.

Call Vanguard and tell them your preference.
Mel -

Your "year to date statement" at year end (i.e. December statement) will show the transactions for all 12 months?
No. Wish it did, but it doesn't. The only thing that seems to actually be year-to-date for the entire year is any Variable Annuity transactions. That's probably because it's using the old annuity system software? Therefore, you need to save all twelve monthly statements to have a complete record of that year's transactions. And there is no quarter-to-date as there was previously; just monthly statements.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Mike14 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 pm
Doc wrote:
The "year-to-date" refers to the totals. The "transaction" section is only for the current quarter.

I think on the old platform the reports might have had year-to-date transactions.
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Yes, the old platform was actually a REAL YTD because it showed all transactions YTD. Therefore, you only had to retain one statement to have all YTD transactions and then the December statement to have all of the transactions for the year.
I'm on the old platform, and I get quarterly statements, which only contain transactions for that quarter. Once a year, there is the annual statement that contains all transactions for that year.

But it sounds like on the Brokerage platform, quarterly statements are still generated (showing transactions for the quarter), but no annual statements containing all transactions?

No, there are no quarterly year-to-date statements under the new system; only monthly statements and they don't contain year-to-date transactions except for Variable Annuity transactions. I did see one YTD report for a fund that I sold, but nothing else except the VA.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 am

Mike14 wrote:
I use Quicken to download all 7 of our accounts at three different brokers, 2 checking accounts at two different banks and 3 credit card accounts at one bank. I only download the end of year statements and most times stick them in the tax file without even looking at them. Everything is in one file with a single format. I can create any report that I need in a consistent way for each account or one report with all or any group of accounts I choose. When I download transaction data the account balance also downloads and reconciliation is very simple.

With the "added complexity" of the new Vanguard platform we've gone from six Vanguard accounts to only three. That's a simplification.

(There are other software packages available like Quicken.)
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 am

We are still on the old platform. The mutual fund portion of the quarterly statement is a real YTD. The brokerage account is only the last quarter. As long as Vanguard is preparing a statement, I cannot understand why they do not include the YTD info for the brokerage account. Certainly they have that info, so why not provide it?

Similarly, when I receive transaction confirmations, the new format shows the transaction, but not the balance in the account after the purchase or sale. Apparently, someone at Vanguard has decided that less information is better than complete information. It just does not make any sense to me.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Mike14 wrote:
Doc wrote:

Mel Lindauer wrote:

I called Vanguard years ago and made each statement (i.e. quarter and year end) and true year to date statement. This was reflected in the statement name in the upper left hand corner.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mike14

Post by Mike14 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:34 am

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm
I called Vanguard years ago and made each statement (i.e. quarter and year end) and true year to date statement. This was reflected in the statement name in the upper left hand corner.
Are you on the brokerage platform or mutual fund only platform?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 am

Mike14 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:34 am
abuss368 wrote:
Mutual fund platform.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 am
Mike14 wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Mutual fund platform.
The mutual fund platform statements did report year-to-date transactions. That's no longer the case with the brokerage "upgrade". What a shame that we no longer get that information, since that means we have to keep an entire year of statements in order to have a record of all of our transactions for the year. Under the old system, you only had to retain the December statement to have a complete record of that entire year's transactions.

Wish Vanguard would bring that great feature back to the brokerage platform (hint, hint).

sport

Post by sport » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 am
The mutual fund platform statements did report year-to-date transactions.
They still do, if you are still on the old platform.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:43 am
Mike14 wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Mutual fund platform.
The mutual fund platform statements did report year-to-date transactions. That's no longer the case with the brokerage "upgrade". What a shame that we no longer get that information, since that means we have to keep an entire year of statements in order to have a record of all of our transactions for the year. Under the old system, you only had to retain the December statement to have a complete record of that entire year's transactions.

Wish Vanguard would bring that great feature back to the brokerage platform (hint, hint).
Exactly!

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
<My Accounts> <Transaction History> (choose Account) (choose YTD) <Update Table> <Right Click> <Print>

All done. No hint needed. :D
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
<My Accounts> <Transaction History> (choose Account) (choose YTD) <Update Table> <Right Click> <Print>

We're talking about the printed statements that Vanguard sends out monthly that are clearly marked as "YTD", Doc. They're really not YTD and that's what we're saying here. The printed statements used to really be YTD (showed all transactions for all of your accounts up to that point in time) prior to the "upgrade". However, that's no longer the case, despite claiming to be YTD.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Doc wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Thank you. I was not aware of the feature.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am
Doc wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

We're talking about the printed statements that Vanguard sends out monthly that are clearly marked as "YTD", Doc. They're really not YTD and that's what we're saying here. The printed statements used to really be YTD (showed all transactions for all of your accounts up to that point in time) prior to the "upgrade". However, that's no longer the case, despite claiming to be YTD.
I know that Mel. I was just trying to give people a workaround to get their yearly transactions printed so they have a copy for their records if that's what they want.

The probability of Vanguard changing part of their new system to the old arcane system is iffy despite some people's wishes.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:51 pm
The probability of Vanguard changing part of their new system to the old arcane system is iffy despite some people's wishes.
It just seems very strange to print a statement that says YTD when the data is not YTD. Certainly they have the data, so why not print it. It is even more strange if you have the old platform with a brokerage account. The quarterly statements show the entire year's data for the mutual funds, while the brokerage account shows only the last quarter, all on the same printed statement.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm

sport wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 pm
Doc wrote:
It just seems very strange to print a statement that says YTD when the data is not YTD. Certainly they have the data, so why not print it. It is even more strange if you have the old platform with a brokerage account. The quarterly statements show the entire year's data for the mutual funds, while the brokerage account shows only the last quarter, all on the same printed statement.
That's my (and lots of other folks') point, Doc. Why call something a YTD statement when it really isn't? And why drop a useful feature that they previously provided and call it an "upgrade"? Even if they only do it in December so you only have to keep one statement for the entire year, that would be fine.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm
sport wrote:
Doc wrote:
That's my (and lots of other folks') point, Doc. Why call something a YTD statement when it really isn't? And why drop a useful feature that they previously provided and call it an "upgrade"? Even if they only do it in December so you only have to keep one statement for the entire year, that would be fine.
The upgrade had little to do with "statements". The upgrade eliminated the problem of having your settlement fund in a different legal entity from your brokerage holdings which could cause several days delay in making trades.

Not having twice as many 1099s then than I do now was certainly an improvement. I never even looked at a YTD statement on the old platform. I only keep the last statement a year and that's only for the purpose of confirming ending balances in case of an IRS audit. It was of no use to me. All the data from six Vanguard accounts (now only three) and our four accounts at other brokers are all consolidated into one data file that I can sort, summarize, combine, separate, compute asset allocations, etc in any way I chose rather than having different formats from each of those three brokers and two or three different (his/hers/ours) year end statements from each of them.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:13 pm
... The upgrade eliminated the problem of having your settlement fund in a different legal entity from your brokerage holdings which could cause several days delay in making trades ...
:confused The old mutual fund accounts didn't have / require a "settlement fund" ... did they?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

sport

Post by sport » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:42 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Doc wrote:
... The upgrade eliminated the problem of having your settlement fund in a different legal entity from your brokerage holdings which could cause several days delay in making trades ...
:confused The old mutual fund accounts didn't have / require a "settlement fund" ... did they?
We used the Prime MM fund as the settlement fund, and it was in the mutual fund portfolio. However, when the new laws concerning MM funds went into effect, Vanguard added Federal MM fund to the brokerage account for use as a settlement fund, even though we already had a Federal MM fund in the mutual fund account. In the process, the problem of having the settlement fund in a different legal entity disappeared.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:43 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Doc wrote:
Yes it was the money market fund just as it is now.

If you bought something the money came from your MM fund and if you sold something the money went into the same fund. If you bought and sold mutual funds the same day only the difference if any went into that MM fund. But if you sold an ETF you couldn't have access to the proceeds in your mutual fund account for three (now two) days.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Doc wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm
sport wrote:
Doc wrote:
The upgrade had little to do with "statements". The upgrade eliminated the problem of having your settlement fund in a different legal entity from your brokerage holdings which could cause several days delay in making trades.

Not having twice as many 1099s then than I do now was certainly an improvement. I never even looked at a YTD statement on the old platform. I only keep the last statement a year and that's only for the purpose of confirming ending balances in case of an IRS audit. It was of no use to me. All the data from six Vanguard accounts (now only three) and our four accounts at other brokers are all consolidated into one data file that I can sort, summarize, combine, separate, compute asset allocations, etc in any way I chose rather than having different formats from each of those three brokers and two or three different (his/hers/ours) year end statements from each of them.
I'm glad that it worked out well for you, Doc. However, that's not the case for the vast majority of folks I've talked to and who've posted here with their complaints.

I've provided Vanguard with a list of a dozen things that are really a step backwards as opposed to an "upgrade" for those of us who were only on the mutual fund platform. One of the things that disappeared with the "upgrade" was the ability to deposit checks by taking a picture with your phone. Fortunately, that was just recently reinstated. However, there are still a large number of unresolved issues. Hopefully Vanguard will get some of those issues resolved, too.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 pm
I'm glad that it worked out well for you, Doc. However, that's not the case for the vast majority of folks I've talked to and who've posted here with their complaints.
Maybe those that like the new platform don't complain so they don't post.

You sample is biased. :D

For those people who only had Vangaurd mutual funds I can see how they would not want to learn something new.
Mel Lindauer wrote:
However, there are still a large number of unresolved issues. Hopefully Vanguard will get some of those issues resolved, too.
Hopefully? Vanguard is suppose to be the low cost leader. Maintaining two separate systems for mutual funds and brokerage products has to have higher costs both in IT and training costs for their CSRs.
Jack Bogle wrote:Whether Markets are More Efficient or Less Efficient, Costs Matter
https://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/sp2 ... Mrkts.html

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:19 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Maybe those that like the new platform don't complain so they don't post.

You sample is biased. :D

For those people who only had Vangaurd mutual funds I can see how they would not want to learn something new.
Mel Lindauer wrote:
However, there are still a large number of unresolved issues. Hopefully Vanguard will get some of those issues resolved, too.
Hopefully? Vanguard is suppose to be the low cost leader. Maintaining two separate systems for mutual funds and brokerage products has to have higher costs both in IT and training costs for their CSRs.
Jack Bogle wrote:Whether Markets are More Efficient or Less Efficient, Costs Matter
https://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/sp2 ... Mrkts.html
There's no need to maintain two systems, Doc. All they have to do is incorporate the best features of both into one system. A bit of merging the existing programming from the two systems one time and it's done. That's the way things are normally done in the business world in a merger of two companies or two divisions, etc. This isn't rocket science; it's just good business practice.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:26 pm
All they have to do is incorporate the best features of both into one system. A bit of merging the existing programming from the two systems one time and it's done. That's the way things are normally done in the business world in a merger of two companies or two divisions, etc. This isn't rocket science; it's just good business practice.
I imagine they know the shortcomings of the new system, which is why they continue to allow people to stick with the old system. Once they get all the bugs worked out, they will force everyone over or make it very difficult to stay on the new system. Kind of how Apple and Microsoft eventually force most people to upgrade.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:26 pm
There's no need to maintain two systems, Doc. All they have to do is incorporate the best features of both into one system. A bit of merging the existing programming from the two systems one time and it's done. That's the way things are normally done in the business world in a merger of two companies or two divisions, etc. This isn't rocket science; it's just good business practice.
That's a good point, Mel.

A lot of the posts on this topic are like "I don't want to go to the brokerage account because it doesn't give me xyz". They don't as often say I wish the brokerage platform would give me xyz.

Earlier you posted that you had provided Vanguard with several suggestions for improvements. Some may have have implemented and others have not. How about publishing that list here so we can all see them. Maybe if we all pull together we can get improvement faster.

I have no objection to Vanguard Brokerage being improved. I do object to maintaining two platforms forever which will undoubtedly lead to added cost and maybe poorer service for all of us.

William Harvey

Post by William Harvey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

New here.
But I've been a Vanguard client for 27 years. Never had a problem, customer service was seamless.
On rare occasions that I had to talk to a service representative, things were taken care of quickly and accurately.
Until now.
Since switching to brokerage account, nothing but trouble. And it takes multiple calls, forms, and online access to fix.
Some certainly my fault, but I'm the same idiot I've always been.
I suspect less investment, prioritizing of customer service under latest management at Vanguard.

Anyone else notice a change over past few months?

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm
I have no objection to Vanguard Brokerage being improved. I do object to maintaining two platforms forever which will undoubtedly lead to added cost and maybe poorer service for all of us.
Can you document that maintaining two platforms will increase costs and lead to poorer service. It's the 21st century. A couple of clicks on the computer should be all that's needed to handle 2 platforms. Most of the gamers who play games on the web could handle the 2 platforms. Innovative programming based on customer service is all that is needed. The old cliche "The customer is always right" applies here.

DMW

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm
Can you document that maintaining two platforms will increase costs and lead to poorer service. It's the 21st century. A couple of clicks on the computer should be all that's needed to handle 2 platforms. Most of the gamers who play games on the web could handle the 2 platforms. Innovative programming based on customer service is all that is needed. The old cliche "The customer is always right" applies here.

DMW
No. I can't quantify the effect. I rely the economic concept of economy of scale. If you have two IT platforms and have to train CSR reps for two different platforms it is less efficient than just having one.

The two IT platforms might not be that significant. It would depend on how often outside factors would dictate that changes need to be made on the programs. The CSR training cost can always be reduced by less training. Logically less training would lead to poorer service.

Your IT comments may apply to you gamers but for us senile retirees not so much. And you gamers have to pay a part of our higher costs. Thanks. :D

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 pm

I would suspect that absent some big issue, now that Vanguard only opens brokerage accounts (no exception scenarios still?), they are likely to "functionally stabilize" the mutual fund platform and let the owners of these accounts age out. Having visited their campus during the Bogleheads campuses, the current talent familiar with it are likely to still be around long after those of us with such accounts aren't.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 am
Your IT comments may apply to you gamers but for us senile retirees not so much. And you gamers have to pay a part of our higher costs. Thanks. :D
Doc,

For your information, I am a retired septuagenarian who is frequently told by younger folks that I don't understand the power of computers. When I ask them about the Vanguard two platform dilemma, they ask who designed their system. They usually make a reference to Mickey Mouse.
:sharebeer

DMW