Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Silk McCue

Re: Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 am

I just received Allan Roth’s Wealth Logic Newsletter for the month. It includes an article he recently wrote that references the book. He also included a link in the email to Amazon so that subscribers could get directly to the book.

Here is a link to the article itself.

https://www.aarp.org/money/investing/in ... sting.html

Cheers

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The White Coat Investor reviews "The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Bogleheads:

Jim Dahle, editor of "The White Coat Investor," has written a lengthy review of The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio:

Review of Bogleheads Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Thank you, Doctor Dahle!

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"The Coffeehouse Investor" writes an endorsement.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Bogleheads:

Bill Schultheis, author, advisor and editor of The Coffeehouse Investor, wrote a kind endorsement titled "A MUST READ" for The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio in his August newsletter. This is part of Bill's message: "If you are searching for a straightforward approach to portfolio management, this book is for you."

Thank you, Bill!

Best wishes
Taylor

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 pm

My dear wife has never found an investing resource that didn't make her eyes glaze over.
Until now.

She read The Boglehead's Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio. She now understands why and how our retirement funds are invested.

This is such a relief. Thank you so much.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 pm

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 pm
My dear wife has never found an investing resource that didn't make her eyes glaze over.
Until now.

She read The Boglehead's Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio. She now understands why and how our retirement funds are invested.

This is such a relief. Thank you so much.
Michael:

I appreciate your post.

Over the 68 years I have been investing, I have accumulated 33 binders bulging with information about personal investing. It was a temptation in fill my latest book with what is in my binders plus what I've learned from my own experience. Much of this background information is in my two co-authored books: The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing (2 U.S. and 2 Chinese editions) and The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.

I decided that what was needed was a book with a short and simple message for ordinary investors about how to invest successfully (it is not difficult). The book seems to have succeeded as evidenced by these Amazon reviews for which I am very grateful:

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide ... ll_reviews

If you buy the book you should know that all my royalties go directly from the publisher to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy which helps support this forum and our wiki.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Taylor -

This book is both a great accomplishment and resource. I thank you! Will there continue to be additional books in the Bogleheads series?

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:32 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:40 pm
Hi Taylor -

This book is both a great accomplishment and resource. I thank you! Will there continue to be additional books in the Bogleheads series?

Best.
Stay tuned! I do have some ideas. Now I just need the time.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm

Bogleheads -

I just finished Taylor’s book “The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio” and it is very well written and educational. I definitely gained investing knowledge!

Thanks Taylor!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

KESP

Post by KESP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:09 am

Just bought 2 more copies to donate to the school library I work in. I was extra motivated when a young teacher was talking to me about how a representative from AXA hunted her down in her classroom, gave the impression she was working with the district, and got her to sign up for a very expensive annuity! This was undone, but it is scary. I have tried to educate people about expenses when they are investing, and will now direct them to this book in the library. Even though they are busy, it won't take long to get through this informative book. We do have access to a company where people can build a 3 fund portfolio using Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, or many others. They can also just go with a target date fund as well. I'm uncomfortable giving financial advice, but can direct them to this book and this site, tell them expenses do matter, and they can make their own decisions. Funny story, a representative from Horace Mann had a information sheet that he gave to all teachers that talked specifically about how expenses matter. The low expense example from his company was 1.4%!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Don't forget to post your positive reviews on Amazon since that helps other readers decide if Taylor's book is right for them.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm
Don't forget to post your positive reviews on Amazon since that helps other readers decide if Taylor's book is right for them.
Bogleheads:

Every sale results in a donation to The John C. Bogle Center For Financial Literacy which helps support this forum.

Taylor

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:33 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Bogleheads:

Every sale results in a donation to The John C. Bogle Center For Financial Literacy which helps support this forum.

Taylor
As President of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, Taylor asked me to update and thank all of you who purchased his new book.

As a result of your purchases (and Taylor's generosity), I'm pleased to inform everyone that royalties for the period ending Oct. 31, 2018 resulted in a contribution of $5,890.08 to The Bogle Center.

Taylor thanks you and I thank you on behalf of The Bogle Center.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
I posted a positive review!

Thanks again for the great book Taylor.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:39 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Abuss:

I thank you and others for your "Reviews." A good review means more sales and therefore more royalties will go to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, which helps support this forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:39 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Abuss:

I thank you and others for your "Reviews." A good review means more sales and therefore more royalties will go to the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, which helps support this forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor
:sharebeer

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Gave it 5 stars and commented that I would give it 6 stars if the selection was available. This book is the 'home run' of investing simplicity. Thank you Taylor for this great read. :thumbsup
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them.

Freshdo

Post by Freshdo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am

Just purchased my copy. Decided to try the 3 fund portfolio rather than balanced funds and target date funds for better control of my investments!

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm

In the foreword, Bogle states the following:
Jack Bogle wrote:For U.S. investors, Taylor suggests that 20% of the equity allocation should be placed in a Total International Stock Index Fund. That suggested 20% is essentially a compromise between my suggested maximum of 20% and the minimum 20% recommended by a Vanguard study.
Can someone translate this? Is he saying this because he thinks it's a good compromise and he's okay with it? Or, is he simply mentioning it to make it clear that this is Taylor's recommendation, not his, because he doesn't totally agree with it?

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Fclevz wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Jack Bogle wrote:For U.S. investors, Taylor suggests that 20% of the equity allocation should be placed in a Total International Stock Index Fund. That suggested 20% is essentially a compromise between my suggested maximum of 20% and the minimum 20% recommended by a Vanguard study.
Can someone translate this? Is he saying this because he thinks it's a good compromise and he's okay with it? Or, is he simply mentioning it to make it clear that this is Taylor's recommendation, not his, because he doesn't totally agree with it?
I haven't read the book, but just based on this quote it appears he's saying both. :)

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:33 pm

MJW wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Fclevz wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm
I haven't read the book, but just based on this quote it appears he's saying both. :)
BJW:

No one can forecast the stock markets. We are all guessing. Nevertheless, I wanted my book to give specific advice for ordinary investors who are not interested in delving into mind numbing academic studies and past performance which seldom repeats. My co-authored Bogleheads Guide to Investing I wrote:
"I suggest that for U.S. investors, 20% your equity (stocks) should be placed in a total international stock index fund like the Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index Fund (VTIAX). My suggestion of 20% is a compromise between the maximum 20% suggested by Jack Bogel and the minimum 20% recommended by a Vanguard study."
In answer to your question, I discussed this, and other parts of the book, with Mr. Bogle before printing. We are in agreement that international allocation of 20% (for U.S. investors) is acceptable although Mr. Bogle doubts that ANY international allocation is necessary.

It is important to note that since writing his first book in 1993, he has been right.

Best wishes.
Taylor

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:33 pm
In answer to your question, I discussed this, and other parts of the book, with Mr. Bogle before printing. We are in agreement that international allocation of 20% (for U.S. investors) is acceptable although Mr. Bogle doubts that ANY international allocation is necessary.

It is important to note that since writing his first book in 1993, he has been right.
Ah, the Japan issue. Japan has been a fiscal black hole for decades now, largely responsible for dragging down international returns. Will the next 25 years be a repeat of the last quarter century? I don't know. Do you? If you don't know what stocks will win & lose, doesn't that mean it makes sense to buy them all regardless of a line on a map? Today most stocks are outside the US and I would not ignore them. They have lower valuations which suggests higher future returns.

Does Bogle think everyone in the world should buy US stocks (foreign investing to them), since US stocks are all you need to own (along with bonds)?

If one went by that logic they would not have touched long-term bonds with a 10-foot pole in 1981, though such bonds would have been the best investment they could have made over the next quarter century.

Come back in 25 years when I'm 70 and Taylor is, well, um... and we can see who was right. Of course even I'm not certain of being alive in 25 years.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Review of Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Bogleheads:

I am pleased to learn that the well-regarded website, BeNetWorthy, wrote a favorable review of my latest book. This is the link:

Review of Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio

Thank you, Jon.

Best wishes.
Taylor

JonSharpe

Re: "Review of Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio"

Post by JonSharpe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 pm
Bogleheads:

I am pleased to learn that the well-regarded website, BeNetWorthy, wrote a favorable review of my latest book. This is the link:

Review of Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio

Thank you, Jon.

Best wishes.
Taylor
It was my pleasure Taylor - I really enjoyed it!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Jon:

I hope that your favorable review will encourage Bogleheads that the book will make an enduring Christmas Present. This is the Amazon link:

The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

All royalties go to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Best wishes.
Tayor

LorieBH

Post by LorieBH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks Taylor!

Just purchased it and am looking forward to reading it.

I have followed your 3 Fund Portfolio advice given here on the forums as best as possible given the investment choices I have available to me in my Deferred Compensation program's plan. It's been a wonderful learning and growth experience. I believe your new book will help solidify what I have learned and offer new information that will be of great benefit.

Staying the course,
Lorie
:^)

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 pm

LorieBH wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm
Thanks Taylor!

Just purchased it and am looking forward to reading it.

I have followed your 3 Fund Portfolio advice given here on the forums as best as possible given the investment choices I have available to me in my Deferred Compensation program's plan. It's been a wonderful learning and growth experience. I believe your new book will help solidify what I have learned and offer new information that will be of great benefit.

Staying the course,
Lorie
:^)
LorieBH:

After reading the book, if you have any questions, post them here. I will be happy to try and answer.

Best wishes
Taylor

Benjamin Buffett

Post by Benjamin Buffett » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I just recently read this book and it is truly amazing and easy to read. I love the work, love the message, and think its guidance is essential for anyone planning a retirement or long term investment strategy. I think the Bogleheads' Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio should be included in economics and finance classes. The tables and data were awesome. Great book! :sharebeer

I tip my hat to the books author and contributors.

Brit

Post by Brit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 am

Well that just made my Christmas list easy!

Many thanks Taylor for writing this, SUPER excited and blessed to be a Boglehead!