Looking for a nice travel watch... recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
midareff

Looking for a nice travel watch... recommendations?

Post by midareff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:43 pm

A little background.. I have a nice dress watch home, a Rolex I bought 20 years ago and I don't travel outside the US with it. We cruise and do mostly foreign travel and I have a new $9 Black Plastic Casio I purchased recently when my last travel watch died. While this is adequate for ground excursions (IMHO) I would like something a bit nicer for dinners and other shipboard activities. Stop watch, chrono or alarm not needed. Leather bands are out as my body acids eat them in no time. Rubber, synthetic or stainless band. I have seen a few nice Movado's on eBay but don't really want to go $400 - $600 on a "previously owned" one.

Sandi_k

Re: Looking for a nice travel watch... recommendations?

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Hamiltons are nice - not too blingy, not too expensive. And they come with straps or bracelets.

My DH has a Hamilton, and also has a Raymond Weil watch that was ~ $1k, and is lovely.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

i get compliments on my MVMT watch regularly, all around $100 with multiple designs and color schemes to choose from.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Seiko SKX007

Steinhart Ocean One

Love both if them.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:08 pm

+1 for skx007. I have one that I put on a strapcode solid link bracelet (endmill/president style) for 90 bucks so I have under $300 in it. My friends think I paid thousands for it because the case, bezel, and bracelet are gorgeous.

seiko sarb033 or sarb035 for a dressy/sporty option

seiko sarb017 another option if you like the green and gold

I have all three

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I stopped wearing a watch when I (recently) started carrying a cell phone.

Before that I had a Fossil which impressed people because it looked expensive. It wasn't, and I would tell them so. I suppose that is the opposite of wanting to impress people. I wanted them to know that I wasn't the kind of person who would spend much on a watch.

I inherited a gold watch. Forget the brand. I never take it out of the drawer.
Last edited by adamthesmythe on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Why not just wear your Rolex if you're only talking about wearing it while you're on the ship?

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Another one I really like is Helson watch,
https://helsonwatches.com/

Have two of these and received complements on them.

Good luck

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Samsung GearFit2 Pro

Give your fitness a kick in the pants and look good doing it. :wink:
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Clamshell

Post by Clamshell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Times Ironman. Three time zones. Indigo light up. Got mine with Velcro band. $32.
Sweet

Clamshell

Post by Clamshell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Timex not Times. And when the battery dies I will order another.

ClassySDLivin

Post by ClassySDLivin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I have a Lumox steelcase that cost around $100 15 years ago - it is my "daily driver" and is very durable (before that watch I broke a series of Ironman, G-shock, etc. watches about once every 3 months due to an active fitness regime). I'd recommend the brand as an entry level durable watch.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm
Hamiltons are nice - not too blingy, not too expensive. And they come with straps or bracelets.

My DH has a Hamilton, and also has a Raymond Weil watch that was ~ $1k, and is lovely.
+1, I also have a Hamilton which I like quite well. I got it from my employer for my 35th anniversary with the company. I chose it from a catalog of perhaps 100 different items. Here it is. https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/hamilton ... 19363.html

A couple of times I almost lost this watch when it fell to the earth when one of the pins popped out while I was doing some sort of work. Both times it fell onto something soft so no damage. But to prevent loss I then replaced the watch strap with a NATO-strap. So even if one pin pops out the watch is still secured by the other one.

I’d like to have another Hamilton. I’ve been eyeing a Jazzmaster. But I don’t really need it and since its price is $500 I can’t justify buying one. But these watches are beautiful and high quality.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:45 pm

What a quandary this is?

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Never been a watch person in particular, but Mrs Ob gave me a nice watch recently for our 50th. I wear it every day now. Nowhere near a Rolex, but too nice to wear on cruise excursions.
We leave for a month-long cruise in the New Year. My plan is to get a walmart watch for under $15 for the cruise. If it dies, I'll get another from some local guy in a straw hut just outside the cruise port!
Cruise ships all have loads of overpriced watches, though I've never seen anyone buy one there!

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

If you happen to get to Istanbul on your travels recommend the Grand Bazaar for travel watch. I got a fake Rolex Submariner, looked like the real thing, for $80. Figured it would be great travel watch. It said was good to depth of 100 meters, silly me wore it scuba diving in Santorini, though only went 30’ down it got water in bezel. But still worked fine. Then when got to Heathrow threw it on top of luggage going through scanner, by time luggage tray got to me was gone. So someone now wearing Rolex travel watch with water sloshing in bezel. Moral of story is don’t wear travel watch scuba diving. Good luck.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:30 pm

jdb wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm
If you happen to get to Istanbul on your travels recommend the Grand Bazaar for travel watch. I got a fake Rolex Submariner, looked like the real thing, for $80. Figured it would be great travel watch. It said was good to depth of 100 meters, silly me wore it scuba diving in Santorini, though only went 30’ down it got water in bezel. But still worked fine. Then when got to Heathrow threw it on top of luggage going through scanner, by time luggage tray got to me was gone. So someone now wearing Rolex travel watch with water sloshing in bezel. Moral of story is don’t wear travel watch scuba diving. Good luck.
I bought a fake Rolex Submariner in South America for $20. It was too realistic-looking however as it was ripped off my wrist by a thief who snuck up behind me. I didn’t chase after him. These things can be dangerous,
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Lessig was sitting to my immediate left, and he started to laugh as he looked at my wrist. What he saw is below, photographed just now after I took it off. (Not that easy, I discover, to take an acceptable picture of a watch while you're wearing it.)
Yes, it's my beloved $25 Timex Indiglo watch, model T20041, the kind I have sworn by for years. It's known by its big black numbers, its faux silvery case, its red second-hand, and its elegant brown pleather strap. I love this watch because it's easy to read in the day; because it lights up (gently) at night, if you push the stem button; and because I can buy backups in bulk, so that I never have to worry if I lose a watch or leave it in the car or in the pocket of my other coat or on my desk. I have an inventory of three or four in various places and reorder when the stock runs low.
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/ar ... en/241176/

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

midareff wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:43 pm
A little background.. I have a nice dress watch home, a Rolex I bought 20 years ago and I don't travel outside the US with it. We cruise and do mostly foreign travel and I have a new $9 Black Plastic Casio I purchased recently when my last travel watch died. While this is adequate for ground excursions (IMHO) I would like something a bit nicer for dinners and other shipboard activities. Stop watch, chrono or alarm not needed. Leather bands are out as my body acids eat them in no time. Rubber, synthetic or stainless band. I have seen a few nice Movado's on eBay but don't really want to go $400 - $600 on a "previously owned" one.
Nordstrom is currently offering several Movado styles at 50% off.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Getcha two - one for the boat, one for the water. I got mine for $60 and $45, respectively. Canvas and synthetic bands.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-Aut ... B002SSUQFG

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-1AV ... B009KYJAJY

Happy cruising!

JT

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Orient-Japanese- ... 01AK5TQE0/

Orient is owned by Seiko's parent. Very nice inexpensive automatic watch that looks good in the pool or out to dinner.
Last edited by Traveller on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Seiko, Hamilton, Shinola, Oris are all nice entry to mid range automatics worth checking out.

If going the vintage route I would look at Omega or Tudor, maybe Tag Heuer.

For straps, check out NATO straps as a good travel option.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am

Rolex or omega is the perfect travel watch, so you’re already covere.

They look good with everything, they’re durable, and they hold value. If for whatever reason you run out of cash or your credit cards are frozen and you have no access to money, you can sell a Rolex in nearly any country for a decent amount of cash.

canon_shooter

Post by canon_shooter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 am

I travel a lot and would never wear an expensive watch. I've heard too many horror stories about theft. Why would you want to risk yourself and/or others getting hurt in a robbery? I recommend keeping your purchase less than $200 so if you lose it you won't cry. I like my Timex Ironman and wear it everywhere. I'm an active person so I don't want a watch I have to think about when swimming or if it's raining. The Ironman has features I use such as 3 timezones, alarms, and timers (chrono and countdown). Has everything I want including a great pricepoint.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 am

Depending on where you are traveling it may be safer to have no visible jewelry including watch. This includes many parts of central and South America and Africa.

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 am

Edox Chronoffshore. Awesome watch!

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 am

Jomashop.com

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 am

My "travel watch" for years has been a Seiko Titanium. I can't find my exact model, but this and this are somewhat similar. Looks fairly nice, and most of the time I could get away without taking it off when going through the metal detectors.

Most variants are under $300, and many are under $200.

But I've stopped worrying and now mostly wear my Tag all the time.

William Million

Post by William Million » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 am

https://www.amazon.com/CUCOL-Watches-Co ... mens+watch

This is an unconventional choice. My travel watch, and it gets compliments. On a recent trip, a woman in Vermont came to me in a restaurant to tell me she liked my watch - total stranger. Ridiculously light.wooden watch, don't know you're wearing it. About $22. If leather band annoys you, you can get a.wooden band.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am

I wear a Seiko Diver when I travel. You must buy online as they are 50%-70% cheaper than store msrp.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am

I wear a Rolex GMT Master while travelling. It tracks the time in both your home and current time zones. Other brands and even other Rolexes offer GMT-type movements as well but the GMT Master is the archetype for that sort of travel watch. It also holds its value to a degree unmatched by alternatives.

As others have noted, wearing an expensive watch is foolish where crime is a concern, but I don't travel to such places.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 am

I got the cheapest stainless self-winding watch I could find, like this one. Looks great (from a distance) and no harm done if it gets stolen or I forget it in a hotel room somewhere. https://www.amazon.com/JARAGAR-Stainles ... less+watch

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm

I had a Raymond Weil also..... also about 20 years + old which a new battery did not bring to life. It's somewhere in Mount Trashmore now.

Giving this concept more thought I ordered a watch band for a nice ultra thin Seiko I got 30 + years ago and I have a Bulova Caravelle they gave me for my retirement which I would like lots more if they would have gone for the one without the fake diamonds. Both of these got new batteries last February when wife went to visit family in Bangkok. A new battery here for the Bulova was near what they spent on the watch, I was going to send it to Mount Trashmore but wife insisted on getting it done in Bangkok for a few Baht. If I can get the new band on the Seiko (not a conventional mount) I'll take that + the new $9 Casio. Rolex stays home, with cells and tablets and cameras to keep track of one more expensive item to remember to lock up is not a plus.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated.
Last edited by midareff on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm

canon_shooter wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 am
I travel a lot and would never wear an expensive watch. I've heard too many horror stories about theft. Why would you want to risk yourself and/or others getting hurt in a robbery? I recommend keeping your purchase less than $200 so if you lose it you won't cry. I like my Timex Ironman and wear it everywhere. I'm an active person so I don't want a watch I have to think about when swimming or if it's raining. The Ironman has features I use such as 3 timezones, alarms, and timers (chrono and countdown). Has everything I want including a great pricepoint.
Depends where you’re going. Traveling to London wearing a Rolex shouldn’t be a concern unless you’re going to a rough neighborhood. South Africa on the other hand would be another story

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm

My travel watch is a Casio solar. Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV
accurate and doesn't need batteries.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm
canon_shooter wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 am
Depends where you’re going. Traveling to London wearing a Rolex shouldn’t be a concern unless you’re going to a rough neighborhood. South Africa on the other hand would be another story
Brazil.....

wander

Post by wander » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am
I would think twice to wear any luxury brand while travelling to developing countries. I don't want to become a target for thieves.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

wander wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
I would think twice to wear any luxury brand while travelling to developing countries. I don't want to become a target for thieves.
Aren't you a target for thieves simply by being a tourist or obvious foreigner though?

wander

Post by wander » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm
wander wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
Aren't you a target for thieves simply by being a tourist or obvious foreigner though?
A round ten years ago, I traveled to a developing country. I witnessed a case when a local girl's earrings were ripped by a robber around noon at a crowded supermarket. I only heard her scream (due to pain), both hands tried to stop the bleeding. The robber was long gone in a few seconds. Bystanders walked by and everything was back to normal. Police didn't do anything.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm
wander wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
Not as much as you would think.... but there always is a possibility of something nasty. I think the possibility of someone trying to snatch a camera is much greater than a very cheap watch. We don't, and I don't recall anyone really dressing for ground excursions as no one wants to attract attention. I've seen a camera grabbed in South Africa, a pick pocketed tourist in Moscow, and other miscellaneous happenings. I use slacks with zipper pockets or shorts with Velcro pockets for ground excursions. If I must use regular slacks I use an under knee wallet for a few bucks of US or local currency and
a credit card. Most ground excursions are to well known attractions and such and as expected have lots oif tourists anyway. Generally, if they see you are wearing brass knuckles they leave you alone.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I stop wearing other watches after I got my Apple watch. It changes time automatically as you go from one time zone to another, it's waterproof, and you can change the band in 30 seconds.

TravelforFun

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 pm
I stop wearing other watches after I got my Apple watch. It changes time automatically as you go from one time zone to another, it's waterproof, and you can change the band in 30 seconds.

TravelforFun
My elegant but frugal Vietnamese neighbor took a look at my Apple watch the other day when we were having dinner together and she said "it's kind of large, isn't it?" I smiled and said "yes, its a computer on my wrist and I do agree that's what it looks like".

I'll wear my Apple watch when I travel now that I have one. I'm not an early adopter and skipped versions 1 to 3 but I now have a 4 and enjoy wearing it. Otherwise I'd get an inexpensive $50 watch that keeps accurate time, looks acceptable, and leave anything I'd be upset about losing or damaging at home.