Mike Piper's Social Security Made Simple, oblivious investor blog and open social security mentioned on cnbc today

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
arcticpineapplecorp.

Mike Piper's Social Security Made Simple, oblivious investor blog and open social security mentioned on cnbc today

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:47 pm

thought I'd give a nod to Mike Piper. His blog, book and new(ish) open social security calculator was mentioned on cnbc today in recommendations to double check any advice received from social security since a recent report found:
A recent report from the agency's Office of the Inspector General found that bad Social Security advice cost claimants$131 million.

The Social Security Administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/23/here-ar ... tions.html
Books: There are also a number of books that explain the program and its benefits, including "Social Security Made Simple" by Mike Piper, author of the Oblivious Investor blog, and "Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security" by Kotlikoff.

• Calculators: A number of online or software-based calculators can help you figure out when you should claim.

"You basically have one chance to get it right." -Ed Slott, an expert on retirement planning

Piper's calculator, Open Social Security, is free but doesn't account for child benefits. (When you file for the checks, some people in your family might also qualify for benefits.)
congratulations on the nice mention Mike! (even though it is cnbc :oops:)
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

PFInterest

Re: Mike Piper's Social Security Made Simple, oblivious investor blog and open social security mentioned on cnbc today

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 pm

thats awesome.
mikes stuff is legit.

ObliviousInvestor

Re: Mike Piper's Social Security Made Simple, oblivious investor blog and open social security mentioned on cnbc today

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for posting this, arcticpineapplecorp! I haven't been spending much time on the forum lately (busy working on the last major piece of functionality for the calculator), so this was a neat surprise.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I always refer anyone I know with social security questions to Mike. Very helpful and easy to understand.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:02 pm

How nice!

Congratulations, Mike!

Kinnie

Post by Kinnie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am

a little late to the thread, but wanted to add this SS neophyte's hearty recommendation for Mike Piper's book. I am also in the process of reading Kotlikoff's book and the Dummies book on Social Security at the same time. It is "Social Security Made Simple" by Mike Piper that really stands out for its straightforward approach and no nonsense explanations. It is an excellent resource that I will be encouraging all my SS claiming friends to read. And I found out about it by researching on this forum. Thanks to all who mentioned it.

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks, Kinnie! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the book. :)
Mike Piper, author/blogger

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the calculator and have made use of it. It tells me pretty much what I expected on a gut level (which I find reassuring).

Direct link: https://opensocialsecurity.com/

Anyone trying it out for the first time, pay attention to the mortality table options.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:26 pm

another kudos to Mike, for his work as an author of a book and blog, and for the time he spends sharing his knowledge on BH.