Thinking about downsizing car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MotoTrojan

Thinking about downsizing car

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

4 year old German sports car fully paid off. I have had it for 2 years and approaching 60k miles. Bought before I really figured out personal finance...

My gas bill is averaging >$200/month ($300+ if I have a trip of any kind). Insurance is $3200/yr (should come down soon as record cleans) and I figure I can still get some value for it right now before the mileage gets too high. I also have an aftermarket warranty good for something like 3 years and another 90K miles to help attract interest.

Any reason not to? I have a lot of 0% APR CC's right now so figure I may even build up the $15-$20K needed to buy something fun and more reasonable cash and then take my time to sell this car on Craigslist for top $.

Love the car and may just be itching to buy some equities with the delta... but I've been cleaning up my financial life quite nicely and this seems like the next step.

FWIW I bought the car for ~$48K OTD (don't recall specifics), make ~$120K/yr, and $100K networth (started really saving/investing in 2017).

Just checked out KBB and looks like I would expect around $25K (mid-point for private/trade-in). Much lower than I expected so the cash gain may be smaller but longterm cost would be much more reasonable. Makes me nervous to get anything older/higher-mileage though.

bloom2708

Re: Thinking about downsizing car

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I would keep and drive your current car through the warranty period.

0% CC to buy the next car sounds like a bad idea. 0% usually is not on cash withdrawals.

If you say you can sell the German car for $25k and you are going to buy an $18k Toyota Corolla LE and buy stocks with the other $6k, I really can't argue with that.

The Corolla LE is a great little car. Coming from a $50k German sports car there may be a bit of a let down.

Repair and maintenance costs would be lower. Gas too. Insurance probably too.

You already ate through the big depreciation and have a warranty in place and no loan. Seems the best course is to keep driving it and save up a "car fund" for the next car. Then make a better decision. Get another German car when your net worth tops $1 million. Even then it isn't a great financial move.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm

I would consider keeping your car for a few more years and enjoy it. You lose a lot of money in the transactions of selling it and buying a new one and it's a good habit to keep your car for as long as possible. You're in the best years of ownership right now. Just don't get another one if that's your new plan.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I would target a specific replacement car and determine how much you’d actually save on gas and insurance with it. And whether you could buy one for less than $25K.

But drive the replacement before you decide anything.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Found a Mazda Miata Grand Touring 2016 w/ 11k miles that would probably net me $1-3K after tax. Way less miles, cost of driving should be low, still a very fun car.

Hmm...

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 pm
I would keep and drive your current car through the warranty period.

0% CC to buy the next car sounds like a bad idea. 0% usually is not on cash withdrawals.

If you say you can sell the German car for $25k and you are going to buy an $18k Toyota Corolla LE and buy stocks with the other $6k, I really can't argue with that.

The Corolla LE is a great little car. Coming from a $50k German sports car there may be a bit of a let down.

Repair and maintenance costs would be lower. Gas too. Insurance probably too.

You already ate through the big depreciation and have a warranty in place and no loan. Seems the best course is to keep driving it and save up a "car fund" for the next car. Then make a better decision. Get another German car when your net worth tops $1 million. Even then it isn't a great financial move.
To be clear on the CC, I would build up cash with my usual monthly expenses. I’m already doing this for some risk free bank bonuses.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 pm
To be clear on the CC, I would build up cash when my usual monthly expenses. I’m already doing this for some risk free bank bonuses.
I just wasn't clear how using a 0% CC builds cash. You still have to pay the CC bill each month. You could use a Debit card and pay no fees. I don't think the cash rewards would be enough to put a dent in money for a new car. Maybe it was just how you wrote the statement about CC. Never mind my advice on 0% CC.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Unless you are downgrading to a Honda Fit or Hyuandai Elantra/Civic/Corolla, etc… you might be better off keeping the current car till the warranty ends. Wait till the depreciation curve flattens out a bit more.

Right now you are just dealing with gas and insurance in terms of outgoing costs.

Have you priced out the insurance quotes for the next car you are going to get? Sometimes the delta isn’t as great as one might initially think esp if you have prior accidents on record.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
To be clear on the CC, I would build up cash when my usual monthly expenses. I’m already doing this for some risk free bank bonuses.
I just wasn't clear how using a 0% CC builds cash. You still have to pay the CC bill each month. You could use a Debit card and pay no fees. I don't think the cash rewards would be enough to put a dent in money for a new car. Maybe it was just how you wrote the statement about CC. Never mind my advice on 0% CC.
I don’t have to pay for 12 months. Gives margin to sell current car.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Unless you are downgrading to a Honda Fit or Hyuandai Elantra/Civic/Corolla, etc… you might be better off keeping the current car till the warranty ends. Wait till the depreciation curve flattens out a bit more.

Right now you are just dealing with gas and insurance in terms of outgoing costs.

Have you priced out the insurance quotes for the next car you are going to get? Sometimes the delta isn’t as great as one might initially think esp if you have prior accidents on record.
It’s an after market warranty. Pain to use I’m sure and i can sell for >1/2 cost right now. I’ll price our costs and project 2-3 year savings.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:54 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
So you would buy your new car first and charge it on a series of 0% credit cards? Some dealers will let you charge up to $X (say $3,000 or $5,000) on a CC. I don't think any will let you charge the full car. Not that I've heard.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
So you would buy your new car first and charge it on a series of 0% credit cards? Some dealers will let you charge up to $X (say $3,000 or $5,000) on a CC. I don't think any will let you charge the full car. Not that I've heard.
I have the cash and don’t have to pay it back for months. Currently churning bank bonuses and building more cash every month. Let’s just assume I can trade in directly.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm

A highly optimized life has a chauffeur driving one around, and if not that, perhaps an Uber/Lyft driver, and if not that walking or biking where you need to go... In no particular order.

You mention how cars make you nervous in your post, this is what needs to be optimized.
Last edited by Cycle on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:06 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
I have the cash and don’t have to pay it back for months. Currently churning bank bonuses and building more cash every month. Let’s just assume I can trade in directly.
I hear you now. You have cash in hand and owe 0% on several CC and are carrying the balance. Free money. :wink:

If you decide to sell, I would sell first. I usually seem to get not quite what I thought for my car and pay just a bit more than I thought for the new one. Rarely works the opposite. Especially selling Private Party on Craigslist.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm

"I also have an aftermarket warranty good for something like 3 years and another 90K miles to help attract interest."

VIP questions:

Have you filed any claims yet on this aftermarket mechanical breakdown insurance contract (MBIC) ?

Can you claim a refund on the un-used value of this MBIC?

Do you have any other add-on's that could provide a refund, return of premium, maybe a GAP policy ?

Make sure you are looking at the total financial expenses of keeping this vehicle. German made parts are expensive typically and with that A/M MBIC you are typically surrendering your repair choices and decisions to an adjuster 6 states away. They will send you A/M parts or LKQ (used) parts to your repair facility and make you wait while the parts are shipped. Does this contract have a rental reimbursement while repairing and waiting?

I will respond again once you have more answers.

In the mean time if you are going thrifty car shopping price the headlights and tailights and a mirror in the parts department, some Miata headlights were $1500 each a few years back. Now you know why the full coverage insurance is so expensive. Good luck.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Depending on what type of German care you are talking about, the savings you will face by going to a Mazda probably isn't worth it.

If you have a Merc, trading it in may be a wise idea because reliability is relatively poor.

On the other hand, if you're talking BMW or Audi or Porsche, you're in good shape based on those brands long term reliability in Consumer Reports over the last few years. In fact, they are higher than Mazda and Honda for long term reliability.

Given that you said German sports car, I'm going to assume BMW 2,3, or 4 series since Porsche is the only other German sports car and you're not getting one for 48K unless its used. Merc is a nice comfortable luxury car, and Audis are just overpriced Jettas with nicer leather, but neither are sports or even sporty cars

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 pm
Depending on what type of German care you are talking about, the savings you will face by going to a Mazda probably isn't worth it.

If you have a Merc, trading it in may be a wise idea because reliability is relatively poor.

On the other hand, if you're talking BMW or Audi or Porsche, you're in good shape based on those brands long term reliability in Consumer Reports over the last few years. In fact, they are higher than Mazda and Honda for long term reliability.

Given that you said German sports car, I'm going to assume BMW 2,3, or 4 series since Porsche is the only other German sports car and you're not getting one for 48K unless its used. Merc is a nice comfortable luxury car, and Audis are just overpriced Jettas with nicer leather, but neither are sports or even sporty cars
I bought it used w/ 32k miles. Electronics sports differential if that helps you narrow it down :).

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm
"I also have an aftermarket warranty good for something like 3 years and another 90K miles to help attract interest."

VIP questions:

Have you filed any claims yet on this aftermarket mechanical breakdown insurance contract (MBIC) ?

Do you have any other add-on's that could provide a refund, return of premium, maybe a GAP policy ?

Make sure you are looking at the total financial expenses of keeping this vehicle. German made parts are expensive typically and with that A/M MBIC you are typically surrendering your repair choices and decisions to an adjuster 6 states away. They will send you A/M parts or LKQ (used) parts to your repair facility and make you wait while the parts are shipped. Does this contract have a rental reimbursement while repairing and waiting?

In the mean time if you are going thrifty car shopping price the headlights and tailights and a mirror in the parts department, some Miata headlights were $1500 each a few years back. Now you know why the full coverage insurance is so expensive. Good luck.
No claims and no add-ons but I can get a refund on the un-used value of the insurance, minus a $25 fee.

I am planning to make a spreadsheet now for true cost of ownership. Repairs will be a tricky one so I will probably focus on the nominal case of insurance, gas, transaction costs, and standard maintenance.

S2000 is another avenue I have considered. Have always loved that car.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm
I bought it used w/ 32k miles. Electronics sports differential if that helps you narrow it down :).
ESD you say? Some kinda of Audi. I know the yesteryear RS5 doesn't have the ESD, so I'm guessing S4 or S5.
Anyways, I vote for the S2000. 987 Cayman if you want to keep it german.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 am

crystalbank wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
ESD you say? Some kinda of Audi. I know the yesteryear RS5 doesn't have the ESD, so I'm guessing S4 or S5.
I miss having the top down but have always loved the Cayman. S2000 prices for low mileage seem to have come up since I last looked a few years back.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 am
crystalbank wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
I miss having the top down but have always loved the Cayman. S2000 prices for low mileage seem to have come up since I last looked a few years back.
If you like the Cayman and are seriously thinking of moving away from German cars, give the BRZ a shot....yes the engine sucks...sounds like marbles and its sort of slow. The interior is cheap too. But it is also one of the most fun cars I've driven and I absolutely loved that. I daily drove that thing in LA traffic without a problem and when I got to the canyons, it was the best feeling ever. Its dirt cheap as well.

Cayman basically takes everything that's wrong with the BRZ and improves it, they have a similar feel. There's no mistaking the mid engine placement in the Cayman, but the way the BRZ and the Cayman turn in initially and bite mid corner is similar. The cayman just has a better interior and a much more satisfying engine (assuming you get a flat 6 instead of the garbage 4-banger they cripled the 718 with...idk why they didn't use the 5 cylinder from the TT RS).

I have driven the Cayman, but never owned one. It's at the top of my list right next to an E39 M5 for my next purchase. If I had the space for it I'd get it right away, but I can't bring myself to let go of my E36 M3 to make room.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Us enthusiasts have figured out that it's an Audi. That was easy. I'm at a loss for "sports car" and $48k new. I'd only consider an R8 to be an Audi sports car (I've owned an S4 and it's not even close to being a sports car).

In any case, trading from an Audi to a Miata will cost you less going forward. Insurance, gas and maintenance will be reduced and since very few cars depreciate as fast as an Audi, you'll notice less loss due to depreciation. Miata has the hard top convertible if you want that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm
The cayman just has a better interior and a much more satisfying engine (assuming you get a flat 6 instead of the garbage 4-banger they cripled the 718 with...idk why they didn't use the 5 cylinder from the TT RS).

I have driven the Cayman, but never owned one. It's at the top of my list right next to an E39 M5 for my next purchase. If I had the space for it I'd get it right away, but I can't bring myself to let go of my E36 M3 to make room.
The BRZ/86 is indeed very close to base Cayman (the NA H-6 one). The new iteration 718, once you get over the sound it's a great driving car as well (I'd stick with the base one).
The reason why 718 didn't come with the Audi Inline-5 is because of the small engine bay in the Caymans. That thing is designed for boxers. I'd be surprised if they can even fit an Inline-4 in it.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:39 pm
Us enthusiasts have figured out that it's an Audi. That was easy. I'm at a loss for "sports car" and $48k new. I'd only consider an R8 to be an Audi sports car (I've owned an S4 and it's not even close to being a sports car).

In any case, trading from an Audi to a Miata will cost you less going forward. Insurance, gas and maintenance will be reduced and since very few cars depreciate as fast as an Audi, you'll notice less loss due to depreciation. Miata has the hard top convertible if you want that.
$48K used with 32K miles. It was a CPO 2014 S4.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:31 pm

VIP questions:

No claims and no add-ons but I can get a refund on the un-used value of the insurance, minus a $25 fee.

I am planning to make a spreadsheet now for true cost of ownership. Repairs will be a tricky one so I will probably focus on the nominal case of insurance, gas, transaction costs, and standard maintenance.

S2000 is another avenue I have considered. Have always loved that car.
Good deal on a refund if you leap, the parts I mentioned when totaled for all models considered are a good indicator of parts expenses. Add a fuel tank meter or starter if you want to drill down more.

If you buy new some states only tax the difference, YMMV.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

Know you bought it 2 years ago when it was 2 years old but that seems steep since they’re only like $55k new I was thinking it was an M3/4 until you said it’s 4 years old and dropped to 25k in value that’s what gave away that it’s an Audi and not an M3. Same year M3 with same mileage would currently be in the 40k range

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

crystalbank wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm
The cayman just has a better interior and a much more satisfying engine (assuming you get a flat 6 instead of the garbage 4-banger they cripled the 718 with...idk why they didn't use the 5 cylinder from the TT RS).

The BRZ/86 is indeed very close to base Cayman (the NA H-6 one). The new iteration 718, once you get over the sound it's a great driving car as well (I'd stick with the base one).
The reason why 718 didn't come with the Audi Inline-5 is because of the small engine bay in the Caymans. That thing is designed for boxers. I'd be surprised if they can even fit an Inline-4 in it.
That makes sense. And you’re right it’s really just the sound that’s off in the 718, but that’s part of the experience for me, I’m not chasing track times

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

Know you bought it 2 years ago when it was 2 years old but that seems steep since they’re only like $55k new I was thinking it was an M3/4 until you said it’s 4 years old and dropped to 25k in value that’s what gave away that it’s an Audi and not an M3. Same year M3 with same mileage would currently be in the 40k range
That is tax, maintainance, etc and just off memory. Also bought from dealer. Didn’t shop well.

Renting a brand new MX-5 RF Club this weekend to tide my over and see what it’s like. Given that I took more depreciation than I thought I’ll probably ride it out another 1-2 years.