NYT Article: The Myth of Steady Retirement Spending

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Irisheyes

Re: NYT Article: The Myth of Steady Retirement Spending

Post by Irisheyes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:29 am
AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:50 pm
Irisheyes wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:39 pm
I'm a homebody who is also a globe trotter, and I'm a foodie. I may or may not become a healthcare spender,.
Since you didn't perform cluster analysis on yourself using the proprietary JP Morgan dataset we know your claims are without basis. I don't understand why you are so upset with this study that you haven't even read.
Or that he/she doesn’t even understand
How hard can it be to understand a technique for identifying and grouping things and taking action (whether marketing or investing ) based on those groupings?

I did take a look at the J P Morgan site, and was amused to see that they had one more category that I didn't see laid out in the NY Times article, the category of, "SnowFlake."

A fifth profile, snowflake, includes people whose spending did not look very similar to any particular profile. (No two snowflakes are alike.) Of the households in the Chase database, about 75% fit comfortably into one of the four spending profiles, while the remainder, the snowflakes, have distinct spending patterns that are not similar to others.

Fully 24% of their customers fall into this unclassifiable rubric. I usually would take exception at being called a snowflake. In this instance, however, I don't.