How many vacations per year is optimal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

How many vacations per year is optimal?

Post by squirm »

I just booked another trip to Hawaii for wife and I. We're averaging a little less than two per year. We love Hawaii. The day before we leave Hawaii my wife literally is crying and gets at depressed (we live in a nice place too, it's not like we're coming back to the dumps).
What is the optional number of vacations per year? Generally our stays are about a week a piece.
munemaker

Re: How many vacations per year is optimal?

Post by munemaker »

squirm wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm I just booked another trip to Hawaii for wife and I. We're averaging a little less than two per year. We love Hawaii. The day before we leave Hawaii my wife literally is crying and gets at depressed (we live in a nice place too, it's not like we're coming back to the dumps).
What is the optional number of vacations per year? Generally our stays are about a week a piece.
This is a very personal decision. Some people like to take many short vacations while others like to take fewer, longer vacations Some people have financial limitations while others do not. Some people can leave their job behind with no problems or take care of business while on vacation...others cannot. Some people like to stay home while others like to travel. There is no optimum number.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Depends on what you consider a vacation. We have numerous weekend getaways throughout the year, mostly 2-3 day family camping/hiking trips. We generally have two week-plus long out-of-state vacations per year. For us, usually after about 3 days, regardless of where we are at, we are ready to get home. I am a creature of routine and habit, regular weekend refreshers are good for me, but after 48 hours or so I am ready to get back home.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Everybody's different. If I take more than 3 trips a year, I feel as if I'm always getting ready or returning from a trip, but I know people who love travel so much that I wonder why they own a house.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

squirm wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm I just booked another trip to Hawaii for wife and I. We're averaging a little less than two per year. We love Hawaii. The day before we leave Hawaii my wife literally is crying and gets at depressed (we live in a nice place too, it's not like we're coming back to the dumps).
How long a flight is it for you, to Hawaii.

Might a longer stay help her feel that she *had* a real vacation, rather than adjust to some jet lag, unpack, and then need to start packing again?

Or maybe you just need to move there? :wink:

Seriously, do you ever take long weekends?
What is it she - and you - might find "better" (if not ideal)?
Are you both constrained by vacation days available? If so, can you do vacation "weeks" that include both weekends?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

My general guideline:
* Once a month, get out of the valley.
* Once a season, get out of the state.
* Once a year, get out of the country.
market timer

Post by market timer »

We typically take several with two kids:

3-week vacation to some place that involves a 10+ hour flight
1-week relaxing vacation at a beach resort
1-week vacation to a large city for food, shopping, and museums
A few short getaways for long weekends

This is pretty nice, but I'd still prefer to add a few more:

A couple 5-day trips a year as a solo traveler
Two more 3-week vacations while the kids are on break from school (maybe just to travel with my son and go camping)

My plan is to ask my employer if I can buy more vacation time next year.
Last edited by market timer on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

a little less than 2 per year would be 1.

Are you taking 1 trip per year since that's a little less than 2?

Or are you saying some years you take 2 trips per year and others you take 1?

I suppose it might depend on the location and what you do on your vacation.

For instance, I've heard (and believe) that a 1 week vacation, especially to a place like Europe is not enough because it takes a day to travel there and back and there's jet lag and you're in a new place taking it all in (stimulation, etc) so by the time you start to decompress, it's time to go back home (and to work :annoyed ). I believe this is true which is why I take 2 week vacations and nothing shorter. That way I can truly decompress from work and come back fresh and relaxed (for a while).

Now if you're just going to the same place and it's just something relaxing like the beach where there's no novelty, it doesn't take time to learn the lay of the land, etc. Then a week might be fine (I can't imagine spending more than 1 week down at the shore for instance. That would be enough).

But if your wife is crying at the end of vacation that's a sign that either the trip was too short and she needed more time to decompress or work/homelife is so unbearable that to think of it causes depression. I don't know which, but hope it's just the former.

When I traveled out of the country with my girlfriend for the first time together we went to Ireland and before we left she said "Good luck getting me back on that plane, because I'm not gonna want to leave". We did leave (together) two weeks later I think because it was an amazing trip, we saw so much, we got experiences we couldn't get at home, but it was time to go home and one day we'd return and in the meantime she realized she had wanderlust (the travel bug had hit her big). Since then we've gone to many places and seen many things, but we allow ourselves the time to experience and decompress so when we return we enjoy our memories and think about where we want to go next.

Even though in many ways travel has become cheaper than before (you can self travel and don't need tours for many things that people used to commonly use when traveling) and there's airbnb, priceline, etc. we have to remember that travel is still a luxury. Many can not afford to travel. There are many Americans who have never been oustide of the country. So you have to figure out what your budget can afford. If you can't afford more trips per year can you travel for longer time periods? That would be a compromise. And sometimes you can only do what you can do. But if you go to Hawaii (expensive I've heard, never been there) can you go to a part of Hawaii that is cheaper than some other part? That would allow you to stay longer for instance or return sooner. That's another type of compromise.

I find a 2 week trip is more affordable than 2 one week trips. You only pay airfare once not twice and hotels will often give discounts for extended stays and so on. So maybe you can still take your "less than 2 trips per year" but make it 2 weeks instead of 1 and see if that changes things.

Hopefully some of this has helped.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Two per year definitely isn't optimal for me.

So far this year it has been:
  • One month road trip to the north
  • Long weekend to capital city
  • 2 weeks in Australia
  • Long weekend at beach city
  • 1 week at beach resort
  • 2 weeks in Myanmar
The 1 month roadtrip was a bit too long. Probably should have made it 3 weeks instead. Will probably fit in another trip before the end of the year. Maybe Taiwan or Hong Kong for a week. We'll see how I feel in December.

The year before was
  • Beach town for long weekend
  • Hong Kong for a week
  • Philippines for 2 weeks
  • Beach town for long weekend
  • Iceland for 3 weeks
  • Thailand for 1 week
  • Hiking & caving in national park for 1 week
  • Berlin for 1 week
  • Kuala Lumpur for 1 week
  • Beach resort for 1 week
Lots of other people would look at that and dread being away from home or traveling that much.
DorothyB

Post by DorothyB »

Another vote to stay longer than a week. That isn't long enough :)
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

squirm wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm The day before we leave Hawaii my wife literally is crying and gets at depressed.
We'll, that's healthy and not weird.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

With kids, we get in two longer vacations in the summer (one up to two weeks and the other lasting between 6 to 9 days). We then sprinkle in a few 2 day ones. With all the activities and school stuff, plus family commitments over the holidays, it's what we can do.

Before kids, we would travel more frequently plus take a lot of road trips during weekends in the summer and fall. Those were the days.

When we do head out to HI, that will be a two week vacation.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

market timer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:37 pm We typically take several with two kids:

3-week vacation to some place that involves a 10+ hour flight
1-week relaxing vacation at a beach resort
1-week vacation to a large city for food, shopping, and museums
A few short getaways for long weekends

This is pretty nice, but I'd still prefer to add a few more:

A couple 5-day trips a year as a solo traveler
Two more 3-week vacations while the kids are on break from school (maybe just to travel with my son and go camping)

My plan is to ask my employer if I can buy more vacation time next year.
Why not take upaid leave? Same as paying for vaca?
Or are there job restrictions that prevent taking more leave than you have? I’ve never run out of vaca which is why I ask.
market timer

Post by market timer »

helloeveryone wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:24 pmWhy not take upaid leave? Same as paying for vaca?
Or are there job restrictions that prevent taking more leave than you have? I’ve never run out of vaca which is why I ask.
Yes, unpaid leave is the same as paying for vaca. In either case, would need to be negotiated. Can't just take an extra 8 weeks of vacation and assume everyone is going to let it slide.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

The optimal number of vacations per year is one, and it should be 365.24 days in duration.
SoonerD

Post by SoonerD »

I hope your being facetious about you're wife's crying and depression and if not then hopefully you're getting her the professional help she needs.

My wife and I jointly make decisions on the quantity, length and location/type of vacations during our annual budgeting discussions near the beginning of each year. Of course during the year one of us will say something like "I'd really like to take a quick trip to..." and the other either agrees or offers an alternative (or sometimes a reason why the original idea is a non-starter). We discuss and come to an agreement. No input from BH or other online community will influence how we spend our time or money.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

One permanent vacation sounds good enough for me :sharebeer
tulsuduke

Post by tulsuduke »

My family have generally been taking one long (7-10 days) vacation a year, with long weekend getaways mixed in whenever a federal holiday falls on a Monday. With the older kids in school, the long vacations are limited to major holidays and the summer for us. We have two kids under the age of 4 so flying isn't a desirable option as we'd have to lug a bunch of stuff with us to the airport. We did a 16 hour roadtrip broken up over two days to get to DC (4 adults and 4 kids in a manvan🤯)...we all held up well and had an amazing time.

I find myself wanting to at least plan for a getaway once a month to give me something to look forward to.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Are you sure your wife just doesn't want to go back to work or other stresses of day to day life?

Try a two to three week trip to have time to get acclimated and realize what you miss about home.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DW and I are retired.
Every day feels like we're on vacation.
:D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If wife is crying and depressed, my first reaction would be to figure out what is so bad about her daily life that it’s making her depressed, and fix that. Optimizing your quality of life during the 50 weeks a year you’re not on vacation is more important than optimizing the amount time you’re not living daily life.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

I could live with a 1 week vacation after every 6 weeks. For me, that would be optimal. 52 is not divisible by 7 (6+1), but 49 is. So, 7 vacations per year. The remaining 52-49, would be stacation. So a total of 10 weeks of vacation would be necessary to maintain that lifestyle.

Alas, I don't get that much vacation per year. Not even close.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am DW and I are retired.
Especially the ones when we wake up on a Viking Ocean or River Cruise ship. The morning chores, put a Nespresso cup in the room's machine and get presentable for breakfast.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Calli114 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:21 pm Everybody's different. If I take more than 3 trips a year, I feel as if I'm always getting ready or returning from a trip, but I know people who love travel so much that I wonder why they own a house.
I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I have no clue what I will do in retirement, but sure won't be traveling. I hate it.

Now having 3-4 day weekends is great for a staycation or short road trip which doesn't require much planning.

To answer the OP, the answer is how many do you need to 1. Feel recharged and 2. Afford.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

If your kids are in school, 3. One for Winter break, one for spring break, and one encompassing the entire summer.

Right now we only get 5 weeks of vacation so may need to quit our jobs to make the summer vacation one a reality.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

I think there's something to be said for spacing out vacations, for me at least. I've done multiple weekend getaways followed by a week long trip and it felt exhausting going back and forth so much. I think too much can reduce the special, rewarding feeling to it. A week long vacation every 3 months or so feels about right. Maybe mixing in a weekend getaway here and there. I'm talking about travel, but if we're talking about just time off where I don't go anywhere, maybe more frequency is fine. I usually find 7-10 day trip pretty good for domestic travel. 2wks for international while visiting multiple cities, though by the end of 2wks I start to feel ready to go back home.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

AerialWombat wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:11 am The optimal number of vacations per year is one, and it should be 365.24 days in duration.
I have a radically different point of view on this. I think about 12 month-long vacations per year would be ideal.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Flobes wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:29 pm My general guideline:
* Once a month, get out of the valley.
* Once a season, get out of the state.
* Once a year, get out of the country.
+1. And the further you go, the longer you stay.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Maybe you and your wife should go for a longer time. One week isn't really enough to get tired of a place and wish to come home. Maybe at the end of two weeks, she'd be ready to return.

We are gradually moving toward fewer, longer vacations. Since we usually fly about 5-10 hours to get to our destination, anything less than 10 days is too exhausting to be worth it. This year we skipped our usual one week spring and thanksgiving trips and instead we spent 4 weeks away in the summer and it was our best vacation yet -- enough time to stop feeling like a tourist and really get into the rhythm of a new place.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

First world problems.... you realize most folks can only dream of one trip to Hawaii, let alone multiple per year.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I can’t believe this is a thread. Balance how many you want with what you can afford.

JT
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the input.

We are extremely grateful of the things we have and places we can go. I understand this is first world problem, as most things on this forum probably are. My wife grew up dirt dirt dirt poor with divorced parents. Lived in a trailer in a poor community. She never thought she would be in the position she is now and have the things and a great family we have. We both worked hard for what we both have achieved over the years, as I'm sure most of us here have gone through and appreciate.

Yes, she cries on the day before, this has everything to do with having to leave such a beautiful place and the water is so awesome. We're at the beach everyday in Hawaii and go in the water. We love everything about Hawaii, so the amount of days off and staying longer I don't think would work out any better, however I booked an extra couple days this time. Wife doesn't like to plan and that is left to me. She enjoys being with the family and me so that is all good. We do the weekend get-aways too usually those are just with the two of us. As was suggested, I understand it's a personal thing regarding the frequency and place to go.

She would love to visit Europe, the problem I have with Europe is the flight. Five hours on a plane and I'm done....I want out...I'm 6'4" and get uncomfortable quickly. The thought of a 11-12 hour flight is bad enough...I'm not sure how anyone can do such a flight. I don't sleep on planes, never have been able to either....Any suggestions on what to do for a potential flight to Europe from the US for someone like me?
Last edited by squirm on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

Cycle wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:52 am If your kids are in school, 3. One for Winter break, one for spring break, and one encompassing the entire summer.

Right now we only get 5 weeks of vacation so may need to quit our jobs to make the summer vacation one a reality.
We take our kids our of school for vacation trips.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

tulsuduke wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:38 am My family have generally been taking one long (7-10 days) vacation a year, with long weekend getaways mixed in whenever a federal holiday falls on a Monday. With the older kids in school, the long vacations are limited to major holidays and the summer for us. We have two kids under the age of 4 so flying isn't a desirable option as we'd have to lug a bunch of stuff with us to the airport. We did a 16 hour roadtrip broken up over two days to get to DC (4 adults and 4 kids in a manvan🤯)...we all held up well and had an amazing time.

I find myself wanting to at least plan for a getaway once a month to give me something to look forward to.
Yes, the planning ahead is important for us as you said, it gives us something to look forward to.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

SoonerD wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:42 am
I hope your being facetious about you're wife's crying and depression and if not then hopefully you're getting her the professional help she needs.

My wife and I jointly make decisions on the quantity, length and location/type of vacations during our annual budgeting discussions near the beginning of each year. Of course during the year one of us will say something like "I'd really like to take a quick trip to..." and the other either agrees or offers an alternative (or sometimes a reason why the original idea is a non-starter). We discuss and come to an agreement. No input from BH or other online community will influence how we spend our time or money.
Nope, not being facetious. She cries when it gets close to leaving time.

Generally I like to surprise her with a vacation. Sometimes I'll put the plane itinerary in an envelope and say "guess where we're going in three months". That always brings a huge smile to her face.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

squirm wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:00 pm Hi Folks,
Thanks for the input.

We are extremely grateful of the things we have and places we can go. I understand this is first world problem, as most things on this forum probably are. My wife grew up dirt dirt dirt poor with divorced parents. Lived in a trailer in a poor community. She never thought she would be in the position she is now and have the things and a great family we have. We both worked hard for what we both have achieved over the years, as I'm sure most of us here have gone through and appreciate.

Yes, she cries on the day before, this has everything to do with having to leave such a beautiful place and the water is so awesome. We're at the beach everyday in Hawaii and go in the water. We love everything about Hawaii, so the amount of days off and staying longer I don't think would work out any better, however I booked an extra couple days this time. Wife doesn't like to plan and that is left to me. She enjoys being with the family and me so that is all good. We do the weekend get-aways too usually those are just with the two of us. As was suggested, I understand it's a personal thing regarding the frequency and place to go.

She would love to visit Europe, the problem I have with Europe is the flight. Five hours on a plane and I'm done....I want out...I'm 6'4" and get uncomfortable quickly. The thought of a 11-12 hour flight is bad enough...I'm not sure how anyone can do such a flight. I don't sleep on planes, never have been able to either....Any suggestions on what to do for a potential flight to Europe from the US for someone like me?
Have you ever tried an international airline's business class?
Flying is... *different*.

Cost can be high, no surprise.
We hoard all charge card points and use them exclusively on international premium air travel. We've done some First Class, and... on JAL and *especially* Cathay Pacific, it's amazing. I truly did not want to get off Cathay, after a 15 hour flight. If time (and cost) were not an issue, I would have just gone back and forth again! Total relaxation, bed the size of a twin. Luxury.

And American points can be purchased (with annual limits), and when used for international premium (on their partner international airlines, NOT on American), the "cost" of business (or first) would have been a few times what is paid for the points.
(We've ripped through a lot of points in the past 3 years, so we may finally need to add by purchasing, which is just under 2 cents per point.)

You might want to consider a "good" business class trip, and see if that makes a difference.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've only managed to take a one week vacation each year, for the past 30+ years. Occasionally a 3-4 day weekend as well, say maybe every third year.

My wife's family lives in another state, so a visit there usually burns up a week or so. That is not a vacation.....

I only get 3 weeks a vacation per year, with no possibility of buying more. My wife gets 5 weeks, so she gets out a bit more often.

This is one reason I'm retiring early.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Post by 808 »

squirm wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:00 pm She would love to visit Europe, the problem I have with Europe is the flight. Five hours on a plane and I'm done....I want out...I'm 6'4" and get uncomfortable quickly. The thought of a 11-12 hour flight is bad enough...I'm not sure how anyone can do such a flight. I don't sleep on planes, never have been able to either....Any suggestions on what to do for a potential flight to Europe from the US for someone like me?
Since you fly to Hawaii and your limit is 5 hours, I assume you're on the west coast. For Europe, you might consider breaking up the trip. Fly to an east coast hub, stay overnight there so you can sleep in a real bed. Then, take a flight out the next day. You're still looking at over 5 hours, though.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:16 am
One permanent vacation sounds good enough for me :sharebeer
Upvote!
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

808 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Since you fly to Hawaii and your limit is 5 hours, I assume you're on the west coast. For Europe, you might consider breaking up the trip. Fly to an east coast hub, stay overnight there so you can sleep in a real bed. Then, take a flight out the next day. You're still looking at over 5 hours, though.
We've done that once since we go quite a bit to Europe from the West Coast.

Didn't work for us as the extra night within reach of the airport just seemed to add to the hassle and tired factor rather than alleviate it.

We have been reconsidering it lately though since that way we would avoid going to Europe via the arctic circle route -- which adds considerably to the radiation exposure. I know that sounds kooky, but we go often enough some years that I feel it is a factor we should consider.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

808 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm Since you fly to Hawaii and your limit is 5 hours, I assume you're on the west coast. For Europe, you might consider breaking up the trip. Fly to an east coast hub, stay overnight there so you can sleep in a real bed. Then, take a flight out the next day. You're still looking at over 5 hours, though.
You could meet the 5 hour requirement by flying Icelandair. Leg 1 from West Coast to Boston, second leg from Boston to Rejkjavik, third leg from Rejkyavik to Europe. Best part is that all three legs can be done without overnight red-eyes.
Watty

Post by Watty »

squirm wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm What is the optional number of vacations per year? Generally our stays are about a week a piece.
Fewer longer vacations might work better.

It is a bit different now that I am retired but when I was working I found vacations to be something like;

Week one: Decompression from work and the hassle of getting packed and ready for travel.
Week two: Enjoy actively doing things like sightseeing.
Week three: Relaxing and enjoying the destination at a slow pace.
Week four: ready to return home.

I figured this out fairly young and would rarely take less than two weeks off at a time. Usually I would schedule three weeks off about six months ahead of time to make sure I could schedule it OK. Once I was retired I could take trips of four or more weeks but at least of me after a while I was ready to go home.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Hi squirm,

I understand exactly what you're saying here. My wife and I spent 10 yrs traveling predominantly to Hawaii on vacation...and both of us feeling utter sadness when it was time to leave. The rest of the year was planning when we'd get back there. I had a really good thing going on the mainland and it was not an easy decision, but ultimately, we pulled the trigger and made the move.

For us, it was the best decision we've ever made. The only thing better than vacation is a permanent stay-cation.

Good luck!
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I am retired. I have been going to Europe for two weeks twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. That seems about optimal to me. I go in the spring and the fall to avoid the summer heat, the winter cold, the the summer crowds of tourists. (I live on the east coast, so Europe is much closer than Hawaii, and I think it is more interesting, but that's a personal preference.)
shell921

Post by shell921 »

Calli114 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:21 pm Everybody's different. If I take more than 3 trips a year, I feel as if I'm always getting ready or returning from a trip, but I know people who love travel so much that I wonder why they own a house.
This is what I wonder too - about some relatives of mine-always
going someplace. Traveling as a 'distraction'.

For the first 20 years we were married, my husband and I usually took perhaps
TWO 2 week vacations + FOUR or FIVE long weekend vacations a year. Living in
San Diego as we did we did not feel the need to "escape" our environment as
we often went to the beaches and spent lots of 'off' days outside - all year long

The longer vacations we took were to places like Hong Kong, Tahiti, Hawaii, Cancun,
Mazatlan, Sedona, Oregon,
Vancouver & Carmel & the wine country of Northern california.

Shorter ones were to nearby resorts in Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Balboa Island,
Palm Springs, Coronado Island, Las Vegas & Lake Arrowhead.

As we got older we took some 10 & 7 day cruises- maybe 1-2 a year. And 3 shorter trips per year.

But no matter how much fun we had or how great the vacation was, we were
always happy & excited to get back to our HOME-!!!! In fact we often said the best part of going away was
coming HOME. :happy
Ged

Post by Ged »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am DW and I are retired.
Exactly. One vacation per year is optimal.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Once a year to somewhere spectacular. 5 days is the perfect length.
A few short road trips in the summer though.
Soup Nazi

Post by Soup Nazi »

My wife and I work seasonal jobs at a ski resort in Montana and get five weeks off in the spring (last week of April and all of May) plus six weeks off in the fall (All of October and the first half of November). We use this time off to go on extended road trips. We've been to 48 states together on these trips (only missing Hawaii and West Virginia) plus a big chunk of the western half of Canada. We also try to get three days in a row off at least a few times every summer in order to go on backpacking trips in places like Glacier National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Beartooth Mountains, Sawtooth Wilderness and the Wind River Range. I feel we've struck a good balance; we work about 3200 hours per year between the two of us. Neither of us could imagine working 8-5, M-F and having only two weeks of vacation per year. That sounds like prison!
Trism

Post by Trism »

Four.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

staythecourse wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 am
I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I have no clue what I will do in retirement, but sure won't be traveling. I hate it.

Now having 3-4 day weekends is great for a staycation or short road trip which doesn't require much planning.
You aren't alone. I really dislike traveling. Generally the hassle of getting somewhere pretty much cancels out the enjoyment of long vacations for me. Also, I am a creature of habit, I need my routines to stay sane. I'd much rather do a 2-3 day camping/hiking trip semi-locally then spend a week or two at some exotic location.