Quicken 2019 for Mac

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
RooseveltG

Quicken 2019 for Mac

Post by RooseveltG »

Quicken 2019 for Mac is now available for $75/year (discounted to $67 for the first year). I am currently using Q 2017 on a Mac.

Has anyone tried the new Mac version?

Does it do automatic reconciliation?

Is it easy to import the Windows file into the Mac version?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
Longdog

Re: Quicken 2019 for Mac

Post by Longdog »

I switched from the Windows version to the Mac version a couple of years ago. It is functional, but a vastly inferior product to the Windows version. Many bugs. In some cases the screen flows and organization of the data is different and more cumbersome (less intuitive) to navigate. They are not the same program, simply adapted for different platforms. Perhaps Quick 2019 is different. But yes, you can import data from one version into the other.
Steve
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I was using Quicken 2018 and called to receive a refund. I was only using for the investment portfolio and nothing else. Different than Windows version and I thought the reporting was not even close to Windows version.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Will Quicken to transitioning to an online web portal product?
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

The last reply to this thread was a month ago. Anyone have any experience with Quicken 2019 for Mac since then? I'm especially interested since I'm still using Classic YNAB (no desire to use nYNAB) on my Mac but that will stop working with the next major macOS release, so I need to find an alternative. I do have a Windows PC but my MacBook Pro is my primary platform and I'd prefer to stay on it and I really would prefer a native tool (ideally web but not many options there) rather than jumping through any virtualization hoops, either.

It'd be nice to have one tool and not rely on a combination of Classic YNAB and Personal Capital for easy expense and investment tracking. Along those lines, anyone using Banktivity 7? Worth paying the monthly fee for its direct download service?
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Calygos wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:38 am Along those lines, anyone using Banktivity 7? Worth paying the monthly fee for its direct download service?
I use Banktivity, though havent upgraded to the 7 version. I have used them for 5 or 6 years and have been quite satisfied. I do use the download service, which is worthwhile to me. I have not used it to monitor investments, as I have a google spreadsheet that functions well for me.
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

Calygos wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:38 am It'd be nice to have one tool and not rely on a combination of Classic YNAB and Personal Capital for easy expense and investment tracking. Along those lines, anyone using Banktivity 7? Worth paying the monthly fee for its direct download service?
I have used Banktivity for about three years now. I switched from Quicken for Windows. The Quicken product kept getting worse each year. I use the direct access service. It's worth it for me since some banks like Target Red Card only have support for it instead of the quicken downloads. It also is good if you use the iPad product since it does not support the quicken downloads. It absolutely does not work for banks like USAA who make you enter your password every so often.

It does everything for the most part that quicken does except for the auto-reconcile after a download. They added a calendar view to match that feature. Previously you had to create a forecast report to project your checking balance throughout the month. The conversion was painful. I'm not sure if that is Quicken export and / or Banktivity import issue. There were a lot of transfers that got unlinked. They have a free trial and a money back period (or used to have) if you buy it through them vs the Mac App Store.
Last edited by dallasjava on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Calygos wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:38 am The last reply to this thread was a month ago. Anyone have any experience with Quicken 2019 for Mac since then? I'm especially interested since I'm still using Classic YNAB (no desire to use nYNAB) on my Mac but that will stop working with the next major macOS release, so I need to find an alternative. I do have a Windows PC but my MacBook Pro is my primary platform and I'd prefer to stay on it and I really would prefer a native tool (ideally web but not many options there) rather than jumping through any virtualization hoops, either.

It'd be nice to have one tool and not rely on a combination of Classic YNAB and Personal Capital for easy expense and investment tracking. Along those lines, anyone using Banktivity 7? Worth paying the monthly fee for its direct download service?
No change in reporting. In my opinion still vastly inferior to Windows version.
brookwright

Post by brookwright »

I decided I was uncomfortable with Quicken owning my info, so bought SEE Financial and Banktivity 7 last week. I imported the QIF file for both. It worked perfectly for SEE Financial, but was way off for Banktivity (my net worth was 150% of actual). I think the primary difference was stock splits, and I have some RSAs. It didn't inspire confidence that one software got it exactly right, and the more expensive one really whiffed.

I liked what I have seen of Banktivity, but they have no real manual, or "Getting Started" help. I got on a chat with them, and they confirmed that they don't have the manual yet, which I find incredible. I want to use it, but if they can't do that, how great is the program?
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

brookwright wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm I liked what I have seen of Banktivity, but they have no real manual, or "Getting Started" help. I got on a chat with them, and they confirmed that they don't have the manual yet, which I find incredible. I want to use it, but if they can't do that, how great is the program?
Here is version 6 manual: https://www.iggsoft.com/manuals/Banktivity_6_Manual.pdf. There is not a ton of difference between 6 and 7.
brookwright

Post by brookwright »

Great - that is very helpful! Are you happy with Banktivity, and did you use Quicken prior to that? Did you have issues with the conversion?
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

brookwright wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm Great - that is very helpful! Are you happy with Banktivity, and did you use Quicken prior to that? Did you have issues with the conversion?
You're welcome. Yes and yes. Yes. I described my conversion issues earlier in the thread.
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

My biggest issue with switching away from Quicken is that it's not possible to import the investment transactions into another program (e.g. See finance or Banktivity). Has anyone figured out a way to get investment transactions out of Quicken Mac?
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

G-Force wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 am My biggest issue with switching away from Quicken is that it's not possible to import the investment transactions into another program (e.g. See finance or Banktivity). Has anyone figured out a way to get investment transactions out of Quicken Mac?
I went from Quicken for windows to Banktivity (actually iBank at the time) and all of the investment transactions came across in the conversion.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Have there been any upgrades to Quicken for Mac for 2020?
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 pm Have there been any upgrades to Quicken for Mac for 2020?
Yes, they released an update in January (15.4), with a few follow-on patch releases. The changes mainly had to do with auto-categorization of downloaded transactions & auto-completion of manually entered transactions. There was also a 15.3 update last fall, that one had more to do with reporting changes.

You can read the release notes here.
Markwhy

Post by Markwhy »

Regarding the earlier question about exporting data from Quicken to other programs. I exported about 20 years of Quicken data into SEE Finance very easily and it only took about 5 minutes of tweaking to get 100% of my exported data to be all there and correct. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked as well as it did. I've been using SEE Finance daily now for 2 years for both downloading and tracking expenses and also bank and investment accounts and I do not miss anything about Quicken. I like the reports in Quicken slightly better, but everything else about SEE Finance is better.