Recommendations for Home Printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ashagru

Recommendations for Home Printer

Post by ashagru » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am

hi All: Do you have some suggestions for small home printer to buy on a thanksgiving sale? Our needs are:

1. Light printing (10-15 pages a week)
2. Wi-fi enabled
3. Scanner for documents

Thanks!

Carson

Re: Recommendations for Home Printer

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am

Love our Brother HL-L2340DW - wifi printing is life-changing and the laser quality is good. I got a lot of life out of the starter toner cartrige as well.

It does NOT have a scanner, but I use Docuscan app on my iphone and am pleased with it for light scanning.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am

I like the printers/copiers/scanners that I've had from Brother. They are relatively inexpensive, quality is acceptable, customer service is okay, cartridges affordable and if it breaks, throw it out and buy a new one.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am

brother. end of list.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:42 am

Thumbs up on Brother. If you only need B&W printouts then don't buy a color printer. Even if you don't use color the cartridges will eventually get consumed over time and the printer won't print B&W when color is empty. If you buy a B&W there are inexpensive Laser B&W printers that will be more cost efficient.

As most people know, its not the cost of the printer that matters most, but the cost of the ink that really costs over the lifetime of the device.

Cheers

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 am

PFInterest wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am
brother. end of list.
+1.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:49 am

HP's Instant Ink program is good for your use case. You pay per month for a number of pages, e.g. $2.99/month for 50 pages, and they send you the cartridges before you run out. Doesn't matter whether you print black, color, or a mix. Unused pages rollover (up to 50, if you go for the $2.99 plan).

I've found that for occasional printing (which is what most people get inkjets for) inkjet costs end up much higher than the manufacturer's specs, because a lot of ink gets used up in the regular cleaning cycles that the printer needs to keep the nozzles clear. The Instant Ink plan gets around that problem.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:57 am

I'm another person who will suggest Brother (and specifically the L2340DW). Wifi on a printer is very nice.

sparksfly

Post by sparksfly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 am

PFInterest wrote:
brother. end of list.
+2

I have Brother MFC-J825DW...using for 4 years now. It has wifi printing, scanner (you can scan a stack of pages using the tray), it can also upload your scans directly to dropbox, send you in email or just store directly on your computer over wifi. I don't remember how much I paid for it but it was not more than 60 bucks

What I like most about it is that is is one of the very few brands that accept unbranded ink cartridges. A box of aftermarket cartridges (4 black, 2 of each color - total 10) would cost you anywhere between 10 to 20 dollars. That carries me through entire year (or more).

magicbunny

Post by magicbunny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am

This printer [Canon ImageClass MF634Cdw Wireless Multifunction Color Laser Printer $200-ish] looks like a pretty good deal right now, according to the comments from the forum slickdeals. It's color, tho, which you may not need. But laserprinter toner is not expensive compared with ink, and it has a duplex one-pass scanner and wifi.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12282778-canon ... SiteSearch

I actually bought this printer myself :happy , but have not opened it.

True confessions: I'm so bad, I buy lots of things that I don't really need. Avoid slickdeals, or you might end up like me! Seriously. :oops:

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am

ashagru wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am
hi All: Do you have some suggestions for small home printer to buy on a thanksgiving sale?
Some past recommendations that might help in your search.

Personally I've had a Canon MF4150 for many years and highly recommend the product line. Newer versions have WiFi capability that you seek.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:52 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm not a fan of multi-function printers. Some of them won't let you scan, if your ink is low (you can cheat and put a piece of non-clear tape over the sensor).

As others mentioned:
Laser B&W printers are the way to go unless you are printing a ton of color stuff. For the occasional color photo take it somewhere to get printed, much cheaper in the long run.
Inkjet printers are expensive due to the cost of the cartridges. There are some workarounds but IMO not worth the hassle in most cases. Also if you don't use it often, the ink cartridges can clog/dry out.
If you need a scanner buy one separately.

I got a Brothers LaserPrinter about 10 years ago and it has worked fine and have only replaced the toner once. Often you can get a decent one for about $100.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:04 pm

My printer is a Canon MFC4890dw. Bought more than five years ago (Jul 2013) and have not had any issues. I get generic toner cartridges for it on Amazon.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Am I the only one who *wont* recommend Brother? I bought an inexpensive Brother laser printer about 6 years ago and now it paper jams every single time I use it.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Anything but an inkjet. You will spend hundreds, if not thousands, in ink costs and be running to Office Max every time you need to use it, because the ink constantly dries out if you're not using it every day.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:38 pm

investor997 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm
Am I the only one who *wont* recommend Brother? I bought an inexpensive Brother laser printer about 6 years ago and now it paper jams every single time I use it.
The problem may very well be your paper. Humidity over time can be a problem and causes the paper to stick. I would try to fan out the pages before loading and see if that helps.

You also may need to open up the printer and clean the rollers. Nothing works forever without a little bit of TLC.

Cheers

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm

ashagru wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am
Our needs are:

1. Light printing (10-15 pages a week)
2. Wi-fi enabled
3. Scanner for documents
I've owned several different multi-function printers over the years. All consumer machines will eventually break and designed to be disposable i.e. not worth repairing - this is especially true of cheap inkjets. Ink costs can add up over time. OEM ink is more expensive, but there is higher risk of cheap aftermarket ink breaking the printer.

Be more specific in your requirements:

- Do you need to print photos or color? If you print photos get an inkjet. Color laser is more pricey and not good for printing on photo paper. BW lasers are generally great for documents and are generally faster, more durable, and cheaper to run.
- Do you need an automatic document feeder (ADF)? Manually scanning more than 10 pages starts to get tedious.
- If you get an ADF, do you need auto duplexing i.e. the ADF automatically scans both sides of a document?
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:09 pm

For a “stay away,” we have an Epson WF-3620 that has been problematic.

Any document that is printed or scanned has at least one line that is blurry. This started about 18 months after we got it. I guess we’ve had it about 3 years now.

I’ve tried all the troubleshooting recommendations and nothing helps.

It gets light use. For most household purposes, I can live with the blurriness but I wouldn’t recommend it.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

go to national office supply store, buy what the clerk says.

They are so good and so cheap it is not worth it to find the best.
Pale Blue Dot

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry. I would never follow this advice.

Cheers

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Brother laser. I luv mine. Black and white. I don’t miss the color. Sharp printing.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Silk wrote:

If you only need B&W printouts then don't buy a color printer. Even if you don't use color the cartridges will eventually get consumed over time and the printer won't print B&W when color is empty. If you buy a B&W there are inexpensive Laser B&W printers that will be more cost efficient.
This is not necessarily true. We very rarely use color but did not want to give up on that feature entirely. I did some research and found a couple Epson Workforce Pro's that will allow black and white printing when the color is out.

neoptolemus412

Post by neoptolemus412 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Not a great printer, but Canon PIXMA inkjets are usually marked down very cheaply this time of year. Wifi, scanner, color printer. I've seen some as low as $20 for black friday. If you google it, you should be able to find a good deal. I've gotten for family and it's always worked great.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:40 pm

You can commonly find Dell color laser wireless printers for < $100. Sometimes < $75. The toner is more expensive than inkjet ink, but for the occasional use, the toner lasts much longer since it doesn't dry up. Not to mention a color laser looks worlds better than inkjet, and you can find 3P toner on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Adding the scanner, making it all-in-one, locks you into a small niche of SOHO offerings. I'm not a big fan of Epson or Canon printers. Brother is OK, but at what cost for a color, laser, wireless all-in-one? If you really need the scanner, I'd just buy a separate HP scanner or whatever. Depends on what and how often you'll use the scanner function - cell phone pictures go a long way unless you need something professionally scanned, etc.

spitty

Post by spitty » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:47 pm

If you get the HL-L2380DW it has a wifi scanner too--been superb over almost 2 years for me.

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 pm

I’ve been happy with the Canon printers I’ve owned - currently have an MX922 multi-function.

My experience isn’t recent, but the Epson and HP printers that I’ve owned always had some niggling problems that made them frustrating to own.

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm

This laser model. Brother HL-L2390DW

This ink jet model. Brother MFC-J4420DW

Both have single page scan/copy function. There are smaller printers. Watch for $100 sale price; laser is on sale now.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Another vote for Brother Laser printer. I've had a MFCL2740DW for a year now and couldn't be happier. I used to have a canon photo-printer, and a Brother inkjet before that. I'll never go back to ink-printers. I don't use my printers much...but It's nice not having wonder if evaporated ink or another clogged nozzle is going to prevent me from printing something when I need to. I also love the fact that the scanner function will automatically drop it into my Dropbox. That enables me to access my scanned files from almost any device without any complicated setup.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm
4nursebee wrote:

Cheers
This is a link to one of the two available HP all in ones in my local store. At $60, I am not going to waste a lot of time shopping for the best product.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... or-Inkjet/
Pale Blue Dot

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
4nursebee wrote:

Cheers
This is a link to one of the two available HP all in ones in my local store. At $60, I am not going to waste a lot of time shopping for the best product.
It doesn’t take very long to do a little bit of research and make an informed decision on a product that you will hopefully be used for years. Finding a listing for a $60 printer is not an indication that buying it it’s a good use of your time, now or in the future, today or in the future.

I would certainly never rely on a clerk in a office supply store to have superior knowledge to me once I do a bit of research.

Cheers

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm
4nursebee wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
4nursebee wrote:

Cheers
It doesn’t take very long to do a little bit of research and make an informed decision on a product that you will hopefully be used for years. Finding a listing for a $60 printer is not an indication that buying it it’s a good use of your time, now or in the future, today or in the future.

I would certainly never rely on a clerk in a office supply store to have superior knowledge to me once I do a bit of research.

Cheers
Is the same true for other things we buy?

I eat bananas but am unwilling to do research into the best banana, the best supplier, the best grower, etc...I am willing to just go in a store and choose a banana. I am not willing to size up each of the bananas on offer in my town, online, or even on one stores shelves. They cost pennies per pound. I am sure I could learn more about bananas than the people selling them, learn the best nutritive value, etc...but it is not needed.

I find the same thing to be true for a $60 electronic product. I think taking a lot of time to read and interpret BH advice, weigh it against what could be read from CR, my friends, and other sources, could only lead to analysis by paralysis. For a $60 product using technology that has been on the market for years one can do the right thing by trusting another human being to do the right thing and suggest the right product. It is kind of like asking the produce man how to tell a good banana!
Pale Blue Dot

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:43 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
4nursebee wrote:

Cheers
Agreed that the cash investment up front is small, but if you don't take enough care in selecting the product, you may find 1) it doesn't suit your needs, or 2) it doesn't work very well, which can lead to lots of wasted time and frustration. :oops:

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:47 pm

magicbunny wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am
This printer [Canon ImageClass MF634Cdw Wireless Multifunction Color Laser Printer $200-ish] looks like a pretty good deal right now, according to the comments from the forum slickdeals. It's color, tho, which you may not need. But laserprinter toner is not expensive compared with ink, and it has a duplex one-pass scanner and wifi.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12282778-canon ... SiteSearch

I actually bought this printer myself :happy , but have not opened it.

True confessions: I'm so bad, I buy lots of things that I don't really need. Avoid slickdeals, or you might end up like me! Seriously. :oops:
Yep, my printing needs drastically decreased and I got sick of replacing ink cartridges that seemed to go bad at the same rate as when I printed more. So I went laser and got the Canon unit above. So far so good. Love it! Only downside is you're not going to be printing nice pictures on photo paper like with inkjet from what I can tell. Haven't tried doing that yet.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:04 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm
4nursebee wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
4nursebee wrote:

Cheers

Cheers
Is the same true for other things we buy?

I eat bananas but am unwilling to do research into the best banana, the best supplier, the best grower, etc...I am willing to just go in a store and choose a banana. I am not willing to size up each of the bananas on offer in my town, online, or even on one stores shelves. They cost pennies per pound. I am sure I could learn more about bananas than the people selling them, learn the best nutritive value, etc...but it is not needed.

I find the same thing to be true for a $60 electronic product. I think taking a lot of time to read and interpret BH advice, weigh it against what could be read from CR, my friends, and other sources, could only lead to analysis by paralysis. For a $60 product using technology that has been on the market for years one can do the right thing by trusting another human being to do the right thing and suggest the right product. It is kind of like asking the produce man how to tell a good banana!
Your comparison is apples and oranges. I would trust the advice of the Produce man on how to pick out produce, not a random clerk in an office supply store.

Cheers

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I dumped my Canon and HP ink jet printers 3 or 4 years ago for a Brother B&W Multi-function Laser (bullet proof reliability and very reasonably priced toner with a 3000 or 7000 page life depending on what you desire to purchase - so far I've used the original 3k and about 1/3 of a 7k OEM). Have not looked back. For the few photos my wife and I want to print - the local Costco or Walgreens. We could not be happier.

Update: I just looked up the purchase date for my Brother laser printer - April 2013, 5 1/2 years ago, not 3 or 4.
Ordered it from Costco, Brother MFC-8810DW. My how time flies.........

FWIW, I never use the fax function, almost never use the scan function as I use Readdle's Scanner Pro app on my iPhone, sometimes use the copy function, and almost always use the two-sided printing option. The iPhone app for the printer is handy, it shows the toner level among other things. I print exclusively wirelessly from my iPhone and MacBook.
Last edited by Fletch on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Very happy with my Brother MFC-7360N multi-function B&W laser printer. Have had it for 7 years now, so the specific model is probably no longer relevant. To save money I opted for the model that did not offer automatic duplex printing, but doing double-sided printing manually is very simple by following the prompts. (I don't think mine is wifi-enabled, but the newer model no doubt is.)

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 pm

PFInterest wrote:
brother. end of list.
+whatever next number is.

Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm

This forum lead me to the "Brother" following...I bought the HL-L2395DW Laser Printer model. Prints and scans flawlessly. It also has the wi-fi printing option.

I have found the text started to print in a very small font size from our household galaxy phone. No issues from the iPhone yet. Not sure the cause, but I'm sure its my user error :oops:
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Another brother lover here.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:39 pm

There's a canon laser printer w/ scanner that's going for $75 or less (https://slickdeals.net/f/12296857-74-99 ... =frontpage).

Sounds like it will take inexpensive generic toner.

We print infrequently, and have gone over 5 years on our printer's starter toner. Inkjets were awful for us since they dried up well before we could use up the ink. I think laser printers are absolutely the way to go, unless you need to print photos.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:36 pm

After several HP's over the years, and a Canon or two, I vote for Brother. Because of reliability, and easier on ink costs too.
Semper Augustus