Are you all staying the course?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Esq123

Are you all staying the course?

Post by Esq123 »

How are you all handling the recent market volatility? Everyone staying the course? I am content for now that I am not 100% equities.
staythecourse

Re: Are you all staying the course?

Post by staythecourse »

I'm 100% equities outside of my 1 year EF and can't say it makes any difference to me if the market was up 20% or down 20% since I don't need that money for about 10- 20 years at a minimum. Since some of that money is going to charity and to my kids after we die I guess the real time horizon for some of those investments become infinite at a maximum and my kid's time horizon at a minimum likely 50+ years since the eldest is only 6 now).

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

<Jack takes a look at his hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of iBonds> Looks good to me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
northtexan

Post by northtexan »

Yes, I have stayed the course plan on adding some more to my holding soon. Recently purchased my IRA contribution for the year and have harvested some of the short term losses I have to cover my short term gains. It is sad to see the decline from the highs earlier this year but being positive for the year is good enough for me. I really wouldn't mind more of a drop so I could pick up some more shares at a discount and harvest more losses.
97trophy

Post by 97trophy »

yes, staying the course.

And will add more cash to our Roth's in January.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Staying the course and making automatic purchases throughout the month. Steady as she goes.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Yes. Staying the course.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
HippoSir

Post by HippoSir »

With the amount of hand-wringing happening here with this minor spike in volatility, I'm fascinated to see how this forum responds if we enter a significant downturn. It feels like a lot of people here have never experienced anything but a bull market.

It's really given me an understanding of why the average investor so significantly underperforms the market.

EDIT: And yes, staying the course obviously. I'm sure someone can predict the markets, but not me.
Last edited by HippoSir on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Yeppers.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Yep. Haven't even looked at my one fund portfolio. All in the balanced index.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Toons

Post by Toons »

Traveling
Haven't paid much attention to the news
Volatility?Wouldn't make any difference anyway.
Staying the course??
For "Life"
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

How I respond to stock market gyrations is likely not helpful to you. My risk tolerance is not yours. You have to set your portfolio for a risk tolerance that lets you weather market volatility without excessive worry. Take a look at the "anchored" post at the top of our investing - theory, news & general section entitled a time to evaluate your jitters. It's there to provide perspective and experiences on reactions to market volatility.

And as always, I hope we can all stay the course.
Regards, | | Guy
asif408

Post by asif408 »

I am. 100% stocks, mostly EM and foreign developed. Rebalanced a few months ago into EM but otherwise no action.
ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender »

I've been market timing and have made additional contributions to my holdings.

Tsk-tsk I know

:mrgreen:
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Staying the course
magicrat

Post by magicrat »

Nothing even remotely unusual has happened in the financial markets in the last few months. If one is not staying the course due to very normal volatility, something is wrong with their plan and/or their understanding of markets.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Yes. Weve been retired for 11 years and we’re staying the course. I’m comfortable with my allocation, and DH is comfortable with his. Although neither of us enjoys seeing market declines.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Yup! :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:59 pm <Jack takes a look at his hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of iBonds> Looks good to me.
+1 :sharebeer
Elena

Post by Elena »

There are beans and lentils in the pantry, so, yes. I will buy cheaper next month, since new money is still coming in.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Yes, staying the course.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

HippoSir wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:15 pm With the amount of hand-wringing happening here with this minor spike in volatility, I'm fascinated to see how this forum responds if we enter a significant downturn. It feels like a lot of people here have never experienced anything but a bull market.

It's really given me an understanding of why the average investor so significantly underperforms the market.

EDIT: And yes, staying the course obviously. I'm sure someone can predict the markets, but not me.

No doubt! I havent been through anything but a bull but I know this stuff happens so not sure why people are concerned.
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

Considering we just went through this in February...

Still buying, still 90/10. Nothing has changed in the real world.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Yep, staying the course. Still adding $ every month. Beyond that, looking opportunities to TLH and checking on whether rebal bands are hit. But otherwise just watching....
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Staying the course and TLH along the way. I intend to re-balance with new money in July. I have not hit my 5% bands at this time.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Retiring in 10 days. Staying the course at 50/50.

Lived through '87 and everything since.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Rebalanced a few weeks back to 60/40; stocks/bonds.
Light weight baby!
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

Still waiting to hit my rebalance band, staying the course until then.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I stay the course but I dial down equity exposure quite bit. Late economical cycle, no need to take too much risk.
FinancialRookie

Post by FinancialRookie »

My last paycheck still cleared, so all good! Long investing horizons are a beautiful thing, DCA into volatility is pretty boring, but effective.
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

I'm still sticking to my plan. Sold USSC and EMSC rebalance into EMLC and change to a cheaper fund respectively.
car733

Post by car733 »

Staying the course but tax loss harvesting.
Tempted to increase my international %.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Yep, still investing four times per month - two Roth IRA contributions and two 401k contributions - at 90/10. Keep on keepin' on.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I am maintaining my asset allocation with periodic investments into my 401k. I did switch from using my savings account to buying 3 and 6 month treasury bills at auction through Schwab.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Retired for almost 3 years, 60/40 and not even looking for the last few months while invested in a 3 fund portfolio. I planned out withdrawals for the next 4 years in early 2018, including tax liability, which will be revised shortly. We are fortunate to have a 120k+ windfall coming our way which means zero withdrawals for the next several years. That makes tinkering with allocations or selling stocks/bonds unnecessary other than rebalancing if we exceed bands.

Having three sources of income in retirement makes staying the course much easier. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't know enough about market fluctuations to allow emotion to make my decisions for me.
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

Staying the course. Went from 100% equities to 70% 8 years ago, then to 65% a year ago in preparation for retirement in the near future (and moved bonds to TRAD/TREA). Non-equities $ in TIAA Trad/SRA, TIAA real estate (TREA), Int'l bonds (VTABX), and cash. (I think of TRAD/TREA that way; YMMV.) Enough for several years of a bear market.
BG
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Staying the course, of course, of course.

This ain't nuttin'! If the past few weeks worry you, you had better get to work planning a course you can stick to.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Esq123 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm How are you all handling the recent market volatility? Everyone staying the course? I am content for now that I am not 100% equities.
What volatility?
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

midareff wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:25 pm
Esq123 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm How are you all handling the recent market volatility? Everyone staying the course? I am content for now that I am not 100% equities.
What volatility?
+1

The easiest way is to not pay attention in the first place. Do you really mean "volatility" or do you mean "prices fell"? I'm guessing it's the scale (and particularly the direction) that concerns you. If the recent minor variations are enough to make you ask this question, you may want to revisit your AA choices.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

Absolutely.

I realized I don't mind the 'volatility', which I find to be very minimal. However, I'm also in accumulation phase. I imagine as I get nearer to retirement my risk tolerance will change, but for now it's full steam ahead. Or, perhaps not. Who knows. Long way to go.

Stay the course.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Staying the course. Keeping an eye on discretionary expenses and building up my EF since I feel a heightened risk of layoffs within my specific sector this quarter.

You never know.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

Yes, my 401K is on autopilot and rebalances itself. My taxable account I rebalance once a year when I get my bonus to 60/40. The only thing I do is buy T Bills when they mature.

Somewhere in there are dollars I am going to spend in 30 years, no need to worry about today's market gyrations. :D
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I am retired, and risk-averse by temperament, and at much less than 100% stocks.

I am staying the course.

In particular, I am not taking any actions in response to losses in the market value of my bond funds, either. Vanguard calculates my personal rate of return to be 4% for the last three years, 0.2% for the last year. I have lost a little money year-to-date.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Of course I am staying the course. What about you, Esq123? Tell us what you are doing.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

What do you mean you are content "for now"? Could something happen that would change it?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Steady as she goes, the value ebbs and flows much like the waves at the beach. Looking like this will be a flat to slightly up year. Can’t wait to see who wins this years S&P 500 prediction.

Did buy some international today.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Taj_Mahalo

Post by Taj_Mahalo »

97trophy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:06 pm yes, staying the course.

And will add more cash to our Roth's in January.
Likewise!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I went to Kroger and saw the price of instant noodles is still $1 for a half dozen pack, so I decided to stay the course.
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

I confess I have watched the market moves with little amusement. Not overly concerned at this time. It could drop another 20%. If you think it would ruin you then you are more risk averse than you think. Investing over 40years gives me the ability to withstand gyrations. Still got more than I retired with. Know where the next few years of withdrawals are coming from. All is good.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."