Point and shoot camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wrongfunds

Re: Point and shoot camera

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

As this topic illustrates, very few people are willing to buy expensive P&S. Cheap/moderately priced P&S market is vanishing at accelerated pace. Even if traditional camera manufacturers wanted to, there is no way they can compete with Apple/Samsung of the world. I feel as if we are back in 1998 and debating pros and cons of upcoming digital camera market with sub megapixel range and how they will never replace film cameras.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Exactly! But then you are changing the parameters of the discussion by introducing used equipment in the picture. I am not sure why people are bringing mirror-less or APS-C cameras or bridge cameras in to this discussion. I don't think those are termed as P&S cameras by lay person. My definition (which I suspect is very similar to OP) of P&S means easily pocket-able sub 200 camera. Even after OP said $700 was too much, he was given suggestion to get the latest generation of RX100 which is over $1000 camera!
The base RX100 costs $368 at Amazon right now. The RX100 II costs $548. The RX100 III costs $648. They're all cheaper than all but the very lowest end iphone.

I don't even understand why this thread is a thing. OP asked for a P&S, not any of the other things folks are trying to sell him. He later clarified that he's not interested in spending a ton. 90% of the posts here aren't helpful or responsive.
Last edited by Rupert on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

money_bunny

Post by money_bunny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
money_bunny wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm
Rupert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am

Seriously, look at some of the low light pictures taken by good smartphone and compare that to $200 P&S There is no contest unless you get in to over $500 P&S for low light shooting.

I just realized that I was talking about my 10 year old Lumix Panasonic DMC-ZS6 and NOT 15 year old as I had said previously, although I don't think that invalidates anything I had said before.
The OP also objected to a $700 camera, which is the entry level for anything "interesting" relative to just using a smartphone camera.
This needs to be bolded, underlined, italicized, blinked and put in huge font :-)
I had a 130-140 dollar Canon for 10 years. Took it on long extended trips to Mexico, Alaska, and Newfoundland. I bought another Sony in the 130-140 (Refurbished) range. It had a 20x zoom and the RX100 does not. I had to decide DSLR and then not having it all the time to get big sensors and big glass (fast lenses) but needing a bandolier and the weight, which is one of the things I hated about my Pentax Spotmatic (Going way old school here).

Where I had photos in low light was where the camera suffered. The Rx100 is a compromise, the new ones version V or VI are 1200 dollars. But the refurb used ones are 300. Which makes it painful when I break it but not a disaster. The one problem I have so far is that there are so many settings that I need to watch some more you tube videos.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Modern smartphones have a big leg up on point-and-shoot cameras in software processing. Unless you're going to get at least a one-inch sensor (e.g., Sony RX100, with several models to choose from - the III is still very capable), you're not going to do better than a good smartphone camera.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I will be honest. If it fits in the budget, the answer to which P&S camera should I buy has been RX100 for many years. Only when you look at what you don't get with RX100 I vs say RX100 IV you start doubting your own decision to "settle" on RX100 I.

Let us wait until OP comes back tells us his budget and see if he can make RX100 I make work for him.

agilesheltz

Post by agilesheltz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

+1 on the Sony RX100 for point & shoot. DH and I have a lot of cameras and equipment from most of the manufacturers. The various versions of the RX100 have been his go to for a pocket size point & shoot. Sony just recently came out of the RX100 v6 (VI). It looks like Best Buy has all of the versions and some of them are on sale; I would guess Amazon and B&H may both have all the versions as well. You can research the options and find one that meets your budget.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

I have too many cameras, but accumulating them is kind of a hobby.
Here is one decent point and shoot:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Waterpro ... 73ea7b9899

The cool thing -- water proof. But yeah, $400.
I bought an Olympus TG-4 a few years ago and it is great for travel. It is waterproof and tough. You can shove it in your pocket with no worries. Even if you aren't going to take it in the water, it's still great for travel because it's fine in all kinds of weather and it should survive most drops and reasonably rough handling. Picture quality is very good. The current version, Olympus TG-5, is about $450. You might be able to find my version, TG-4, for $300. Highly recommended.

I also got a Sony RX100V last year and it takes great pictures as discussed above. But it's way more expensive than the Olympus and not nearly as durable. I think the OP would be very happy with the TG-4 or TG-5.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

Exactly! But then you are changing the parameters of the discussion by introducing used equipment in the picture. I am not sure why people are bringing mirror-less or APS-C cameras or bridge cameras in to this discussion. I don't think those are termed as P&S cameras by lay person. My definition (which I suspect is very similar to OP) of P&S means easily pocket-able sub 200 camera. Even after OP said $700 was too much, he was given suggestion to get the latest generation of RX100 which is over $1000 camera!
The base RX100 costs $368 at Amazon right now. The RX100 II costs $548. The RX100 III costs $648. They're all cheaper than all but the very lowest end iphone.

I don't even understand why this thread is a thing. OP asked for a P&S, not any of the other things folks are trying to sell him. He later clarified that he's not interested in spending a ton. 90% of the posts here aren't helpful or responsive.
+1

One of the few responses I understand.

While a budget wasn’t mentioned it’s inferred that OP keeping a Nikon Coolpix for 15 years using free editing software and a negative bias to “extras” is not likely to need or want to spend more $ than necessary.

Most cameras mentioned here including all variations of RX100s, DSLR’s, Olympus are more $ and also have more features than likely will be used / wanted.

OP acknowledged wanting a PS camera as opposed to smartphone so I think the most practical suggestions are inexpensive and reliable models (again, for someone happy retaining an older camera for 15 years).

The various Canon Powershot / Elph models are generally inexpensive and reliable. They’re also available at Best Buy as OP has a short window to buy (and learn how to operate).

I’m sure other manufacturers e.g. Sony, Panasonic, make similar PS cameras and some likely available at Best Buy.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Post #1 was the question, and Post #2 was the responsive answer. Done.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 pm

As others have mentioned, the G9X (newer model is the G9X II) from Canon nicely fits what I need.
The 1" sensor (sensor is actually the Sony RX100) allows for great low light shooting. I bought this a few months before going on vacation to Seattle and Vancouver last month. The images are sharp.

The two main negatives:
I need to carry space batteries (especially if taking a lot of videos) and the other is a limited zoom range. I decided the 1" sensor, VERY small size and excellent picture quality outweighed the negatives.

One added is the price was way less than half of the Sony RX100 IV. The G9X is frequently on sale now
and the main difference I see is the G9X II is mostly on the ability to shoot more rapidly.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:10 pm

PugetSoundguy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm
I have too many cameras, but accumulating them is kind of a hobby.
Here is one decent point and shoot:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Waterpro ... 73ea7b9899

The cool thing -- water proof. But yeah, $400.
I bought an Olympus TG-4 a few years ago and it is great for travel. It is waterproof and tough. You can shove it in your pocket with no worries. Even if you aren't going to take it in the water, it's still great for travel because it's fine in all kinds of weather and it should survive most drops and reasonably rough handling. Picture quality is very good. The current version, Olympus TG-5, is about $450. You might be able to find my version, TG-4, for $300. Highly recommended.

I also got a Sony RX100V last year and it takes great pictures as discussed above. But it's way more expensive than the Olympus and not nearly as durable. I think the OP would be very happy with the TG-4 or TG-5.
I have the TG-4. The TG-5 is similar, the controls are a little better. Do note that you can shove it in your pocket, but I've found the LCD screen is a little prone to being scratched. 4x zoom. Ability to shoot in raw mode and some manual controls. Decent picture quality.

I would take it over most smartphones. Especially if it gets wet :D

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 pm
As others have mentioned, the G9X (newer model is the G9X II) from Canon nicely fits what I need.
The 1" sensor (sensor is actually the Sony RX100) allows for great low light shooting. I bought this a few months before going on vacation to Seattle and Vancouver last month. The images are sharp.

The two main negatives:
I need to carry space batteries (especially if taking a lot of videos) and the other is a limited zoom range. I decided the 1" sensor, VERY small size and excellent picture quality outweighed the negatives.

One added is the price was way less than half of the Sony RX100 IV. The G9X is frequently on sale now
and the main difference I see is the G9X II is mostly on the ability to shoot more rapidly.
The G9X II doesn't have a viewfinder, so don't forget to order the tripod and Ansel Adams signature edition focusing cloth.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am
Rob5TCP wrote:

The two main negatives:

The G9X II doesn't have a viewfinder, so don't forget to order the tripod and Ansel Adams signature edition focusing cloth.
It doesn't have a viewfinder, but then again I bought the G9X, on sale, for $236. For lowlight I don't need the viewfinder.
For bright light, auto-focus for 95+% of my photos is fine.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 am
tibbitts wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am
Rob5TCP wrote:

The two main negatives:

It doesn't have a viewfinder, but then again I bought the G9X, on sale, for $236. For lowlight I don't need the viewfinder.
For bright light, auto-focus for 95+% of my photos is fine.
The advantage of the viewfinder is partly for visibility in bright light, but equally for stability in low light. Three points of support always beat two - and that third one is more stable for most of us than the other two. "Focusing cloth" is just the term for the cloth you use to view a camera's ground-glass screen - you need it in bright light just to see the screen, not just to focus.

Of course everybody is different, but I just wouldn't buy a camera without a viewfinder (well, okay, view cameras excepted): there's just not enough added advantage over a phone without one.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:12 am

I bought a Sony RX100 V for $600 used on ebay. This camera takes phenomenal photos and does well in low light, I previously owned the I, II, & III. It is the best camera to take mountain climbing, dslr quality without the weight.

I bought a Canon PowerShot SX730HS used on ebay for $120. I use this primarily for wildlife images or things I want to zoom in on. It has a telephoto like lens and 1" sensor, but is just a point in shoot.

I previously owned sony interchangable lens setups, but found them to be too bulky to carry while traveling/climbing.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 am

Cycle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:12 am
I bought a Sony RX100 V for $600 used on ebay. This camera takes phenomenal photos and does well in low light, I previously owned the I, II, & III. It is the best camera to take mountain climbing, dslr quality without the weight.

I bought a Canon PowerShot SX730HS used on ebay for $120. I use this primarily for wildlife images or things I want to zoom in on. It has a telephoto like lens and 1" sensor, but is just a point in shoot.

I previously owned sony interchangable lens setups, but found them to be too bulky to carry while traveling/climbing.
There are so many RX100s that it's important to differentiate so maybe someone who is more familiar with them can explain.

I seem to recall that every one after the first model had a viewfinder. The the next huge difference I know of is that the newest VI has a much larger zoom range, but slightly slower lens (roughly 1/2 stop less light over the range that compare to the older models.) So although the numbering would suggest minor differences, in fact there are huge differences in the appeal of different versions.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:16 am

Cycle wrote:

The PowerShot SX730HS only has 1/2.3 inch sensor. Most 1" sensor point and shoots don't have a large zoom range.
There are compromises.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... t-sx730-hs

Type 20.3 Megapixel*, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
* Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
Total Pixels

Approx. 21.1 Megapixels
Effective Pixels Approx. 20.3 Megapixels

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 pm

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am
My old Nikon CoolPix just died, aged about 15 years. I need a new camera - yes, I know my phone takes pictures and it's gotten me some surprisingly good ones, but I want a camera. I am no photographer so a point and shoot will do just fine.

Did a scan of the offerings on eBay and Amazon and don't understand half of it. Most of the sellers sound like they are just repeating the package inserts. would appreciate suggestions - smallish point and shoot that I can carry in a waist pouch or pocket, nothing fancy, software that will work with Win10 to just dump it to the computer where I will do whatever editing is needed with Gimp.

I was thinking of going to BestBuy to pick up a Sony they have, but then the extras came up on the screen and suddenly it's not such a good buy . . .

Suggestions? Thanks.
Either Canon Powershot or Elph will be good. Canon has mad great cameras. My last difital camera of 10-15 years ago,madegood pictures (for me).

IPhone 7 takes great pictures but I find it awkward. If I were buying now, I would get a camera with a viewfinder. LCD screens are hard to use in the sun.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:01 pm

The suggestions for a DSLR and mirrorless are on topic. A point and shoot is simply not worth it. That's why you never see them anymore. You're better off buying the latest smartphone or a real camera. As far as budget, a used or refurbished older camera is perfectly fine.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:09 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 am
Cycle wrote:

There are so many RX100s that it's important to differentiate so maybe someone who is more familiar with them can explain.

I seem to recall that every one after the first model had a viewfinder. The the next huge difference I know of is that the newest VI has a much larger zoom range, but slightly slower lens (roughly 1/2 stop less light over the range that compare to the older models.) So although the numbering would suggest minor differences, in fact there are huge differences in the appeal of different versions.
They all take excellent images. I like the III to V because the screen flips for selphies. I never use the viewfinder. I think the V has the best autofocus, we got it to replace my III for taking pictures of our kid moving around a lot. The VI is trying to be a do-everthing camera, and so there are big compromises for low light as a result.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:01 pm
The suggestions for a DSLR and mirrorless are on topic. A point and shoot is simply not worth it. That's why you never see them anymore. You're better off buying the latest smartphone or a real camera. As far as budget, a used or refurbished older camera is perfectly fine.
Weird, i see point and shoots with travelers all the time. good luck on that jungle trek or safari getting pictures of wildlife with a cell phone.

I was in kruger national park earlier this year and everyone was taking pictures of a lion next to our jeep. Someone next to me with an iphone couldn't get a single usable picture, despite having a flashlight aimed near the lion. most people had dslrs in our jeep. i got excellent images with my rx100 (close by animals) and canon sx730 (daytime only, telephoto, terrible in low light)

dslrs are weight and size prohibative for non-photography enthusiasts.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 pm

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am
My old Nikon CoolPix just died, aged about 15 years. I need a new camera - yes, I know my phone takes pictures and it's gotten me some surprisingly good ones, but I want a camera. I am no photographer so a point and shoot will do just fine.

Did a scan of the offerings on eBay and Amazon and don't understand half of it. Most of the sellers sound like they are just repeating the package inserts. would appreciate suggestions - smallish point and shoot that I can carry in a waist pouch or pocket, nothing fancy, software that will work with Win10 to just dump it to the computer where I will do whatever editing is needed with Gimp.

I was thinking of going to BestBuy to pick up a Sony they have, but then the extras came up on the screen and suddenly it's not such a good buy . . .

Suggestions? Thanks.

You might find this article of interest in figuring out which features to key in on when picking your camera. Unless you plan to do serious enlargements, any of the point and shoots give you enough megapixels these days. But some of the other features may make a big difference.

Any reason not to consider another Coolpix? I have a Coolpix S8200 that I purchased a few years ago. It has 14X optical zoom. (It looks like the latest Coolpix is up to 20X optical zoom). This is main reason IMO to go with a point and shoot camera over just using your cell phone. On a group tour to the Scottish Highlands this summer, there were 2 guys with serious DSLR cameras (and the hefty camera bags to go with them), me with my point-and-shoot, and the rest of the group with only their cell phone cameras. The 2 guys and I were the only ones who didn't have any issues with castle turrets and church spires being cut off by the camera.

I had a Coolpix (probably the age of yours) which I replaced with a Panasonic Lumix. When that one was accidentally dropped, I went back to a Coolpix. The camera takes great pictures - in fact most people who see my vacation pix are surprised to hear they were taken with a compact point and shoot camera. I also like Nikon's preset scenic options. I toggle a lot between automatic for people pictures and landscape mode for the scenery. But some of the other scenic options can come in handy too.

My only gripe with the camera is using the viewfinder when photographing in bright light. But I think this an issue for many cameras and I compensate by taking multiple photos of the same view at different zooms and then do considerable culling when I pull them up on my laptop at home.

I did buy extra rechargeable batteries and a separate high speed battery charger on Amazon.

EDITED to ADD: It looks like my model camera (and many other obsolete models) is still available from KEH which bills itself as a "pre-owned camera store". For items graded "new" to "bargain" (the top 6 of their 8 grades) they are currently offering a 1-year warranty and free shipping over $49. It might be worthwhile to check them out since you don't want to pay a lot of money.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:20 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Weird, i see point and shoots with travelers all the time. good luck on that jungle trek or safari getting pictures of wildlife with a cell phone.

I was in kruger national park earlier this year and everyone was taking pictures of a lion next to our jeep. Someone next to me with an iphone couldn't get a single usable picture, despite having a flashlight aimed near the lion. most people had dslrs in our jeep. i got excellent images with my rx100 (close by animals) and canon sx730 (daytime only, telephoto, terrible in low light)

dslrs are weight and size prohibative for non-photography enthusiasts.
+1

It sounds like Alexa9 has no experience with any point and shoots that have been on the market in the last 15-20 years or else is only looking at the super cheap ones you would buy for your kids.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 pm

I have a Canon ELPH Power Shot 300 HS. It’s a really compact camera and has great low light capability. I usually carry it in one of my front pants pockets on vacation. Takes great video too. I have a 32 gig card in it and it holds a ton of pics and video...

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am
There is absolutely zero point in buying a camera unless it has a viewfinder, which will knock out 95% of P&S camera, so you can narrow your search down from there. It can be an optical or electronic viewfinder, and doesn't even have to be the most awesome viewfinder ever, it just has to be there.
For a casual shooter, I disagree. I won't give up the viewfinder on my SLR, but the LCD on my P&S is generally sufficient for how I use that camera. If the OP is looking for a pocket-size camera, which I suspect they are, optical viewfinders tend to be so small they're nearly useless.
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am
It's absolutely critical to get at least a 24mm equivalent on the wide end - not a 28mm
The OP's existing point of reference is probably 35mm equivalent. While 24mm would be preferable, most casual users these days seem satisfied with 28mm. Even the latest generation or two of the top end smart phones are at 26mm.

Mirrorless has made huge advancements but from what you describe anything with an interchangeable lens is not something you want to deal with, and that's understandable. A 24 (vs. 28) to 200mm-ish lens on a mirrorless will be expensive, large/heavy, and hard to come by.
[/quote]

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

badger42 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Seriously, if you were happy with the results from a 15 year old coolpix, you will be happy with the results from any higher end smartphone.
They already expressed a preference for a 15 year old Coolpix over whatever phone it is they have. The problem is the Coolpix died.

Everyone should keep in mind 1 in 5 Americans does not own a smart phone, much less a high end one. It's also not just older people. Even in my age group (30-49), it's 1 in 10.

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 am

cherijoh wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 pm

You might find this article of interest in figuring out which features to key in on when picking your camera. Unless you plan to do serious enlargements, any of the point and shoots give you enough megapixels these days. But some of the other features may make a big difference.

Any reason not to consider another Coolpix? I have a Coolpix S8200 that I purchased a few years ago. It has 14X optical zoom. (It looks like the latest Coolpix is up to 20X optical zoom). This is main reason IMO to go with a point and shoot camera over just using your cell phone. On a group tour to the Scottish Highlands this summer, there were 2 guys with serious DSLR cameras (and the hefty camera bags to go with them), me with my point-and-shoot, and the rest of the group with only their cell phone cameras. The 2 guys and I were the only ones who didn't have any issues with castle turrets and church spires being cut off by the camera.

I had a Coolpix (probably the age of yours) which I replaced with a Panasonic Lumix. When that one was accidentally dropped, I went back to a Coolpix. The camera takes great pictures - in fact most people who see my vacation pix are surprised to hear they were taken with a compact point and shoot camera. I also like Nikon's preset scenic options. I toggle a lot between automatic for people pictures and landscape mode for the scenery. But some of the other scenic options can come in handy too.

My only gripe with the camera is using the viewfinder when photographing in bright light. But I think this an issue for many cameras and I compensate by taking multiple photos of the same view at different zooms and then do considerable culling when I pull them up on my laptop at home.

I did buy extra rechargeable batteries and a separate high speed battery charger on Amazon.

EDITED to ADD: It looks like my model camera (and many other obsolete models) is still available from KEH which bills itself as a "pre-owned camera store". For items graded "new" to "bargain" (the top 6 of their 8 grades) they are currently offering a 1-year warranty and free shipping over $49. It might be worthwhile to check them out since you don't want to pay a lot of money.
Hey, thanks. Sounds like we shoot some of the same stuff. I really need the zoom since it's not always possible to get closer to what I need. It will be nice to have a camera I can just charge like a phone; will definitely look at the extra batteries and charger. Going to B&H tomorrow or the next day, but will spend some time on the KEH site before then.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 am

One thing smartphones don't give you is optical zoom.
If you liked you Nikon coolpix why not just buy another that fits your budget? It will feel more familiar versus flipping to a cannon or panssonic.
Depending upon your budget you can get the A10 for around $100 (5x optical zoom) or the A900 (35x optical zoom) for around $400. Based on what you stated above other models would be above price range.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 am

GoldStar wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 am
If you liked you Nikon coolpix why not just buy another that fits your budget? It will feel more familiar versus flipping to a cannon or panssonic.
Depending upon your budget you can get the A10 for around $100 (5x optical zoom) or the A900 (35x optical zoom) for around $400. Based on what you stated above other models would be above price range.
Back in the day some Nikon compacts, including some inexpensive ones, had viewfinders, comparable to the Canon A-series compacts of that era. I looked at the A900 just recently and it's disappointing that a $400 camera doesn't have a viewfinder.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 am

A little costly but I purchased a fixed focal Leica Q three years ago and I absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:34 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Sorry Alexa, that's just not accurate information. A DSLR and a bunch of lenses just don't make a travel companion and are a PIA to carry around all day, that's why you don't see them on many travelers. While a smartphone is OK for casual photography on a street corner or in a bar or club its just not a producer of quality images unless you plan to view what you take only on your phone, and if you plan to put them on a computer they take too much post processing for most people, and most don't have the skills or equipment to do that. There are many point and shoots that fit the range of the OP and don't cost a fortune, and they certainly are lots of them out there in travelers pockets and bags.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

legio XX wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 am
Going to B&H tomorrow or the next day, but will spend some time on the KEH site before then.
If you are in NYC that is a great choice. Be sure to check that they will be open since they close often for religious holidays.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am

midareff wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:34 am
Sorry Alexa, that's just not accurate information. A DSLR and a bunch of lenses just don't make a travel companion and are a PIA to carry around all day, that's why you don't see them on many travelers. While a smartphone is OK for casual photography on a street corner or in a bar or club its just not a producer of quality images unless you plan to view what you take only on your phone, and if you plan to put them on a computer they take too much post processing for most people, and most don't have the skills or equipment to do that. There are many point and shoots that fit the range of the OP and don't cost a fortune, and they certainly are lots of them out there in travelers pockets and bags.
+1
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am

Watty wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am
legio XX wrote:
Going to B&H tomorrow or the next day, but will spend some time on the KEH site before then.
If you are in NYC that is a great choice. Be sure to check that they will be open since they close often for religious holidays.
Well... I used to shop for camera equipment somewhat often in NYC, and I don't think it's the best place to browse for equipment unless the item you want isn't available locally. Admittedly I haven't been to B&H in years and most of the other photography stores I purchased from are gone now, but to me it was just too fast-paced an environment for shopping vs. buying. I do buy from B&H and Adorama now regularly, but not in person now that I don't live close enough.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:06 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am
Watty wrote:
legio XX wrote:
Well... I used to shop for camera equipment somewhat often in NYC, and I don't think it's the best place to browse for equipment unless the item you want isn't available locally. Admittedly I haven't been to B&H in years and most of the other photography stores I purchased from are gone now, but to me it was just too fast-paced an environment for shopping vs. buying. I do buy from B&H and Adorama now regularly, but not in person now that I don't live close enough.
I find Best Buy's selection of cameras relatively limited; I'd love to be near B&H where I could physically handle a wider variety of cameras and equipment.

And there is basically nothing else near me other than best buy (and no I don't live in a rural area) that stocks any variety of camera. Cellphones may not have killed cameras yet, but they have sure killed camera shops! I was able to touch the dSLR I bought at Costco, though I didn't buy their bundle.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:11 am

legio XX wrote:

Most stuff deleted ...

I really need the zoom since it's not always possible to get closer to what I need.
I am continually baffled at the number of "just use your cellphone" posters who do not understand this simple fact.

Enjoy your camera buying -- I"m sure you can find a decent point and shoot that will work for you. More importantly, enjoy your vacation!

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:33 am

I've had three Canon point and shoots over the years (in addition to other cameras :beer ) and have been very happy with them. Above I suggested the super tough and waterproof Olympus point and shoots for travel. I have the TG-4. But those are $400+ and that might be more than you want to spend.

I was just browsing Canon's current line and am amazed at the values available.

For budget cameras, while you're at B&H I would take a look at the Canon SX 620 (about $229 new or $185 refurbished on Amazon), or, with less zoom capability but super small, the Canon Elph 360 ($179). Canon simply does not make bad cameras so I am sure you would be happy. The other major manufacturers are similar.

I have bought more than I care to admit at B&H (and Adorama) and both are highly reputable as you probably know. I have never visited their physical stores but would like to some day. Have a great trip!

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:58 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am
Watty wrote:
legio XX wrote:
B&H is still a nightmare, at least on a Sunday afternoon. Probably less frenetic on a weekday. They do have everything available to pick up and try out, so that is a great advantage, and if you can track down a salesperson, someone who can answer your questions. But steel yourself for the activity level.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 pm

JUST A WARNING:

If some former residents are going to look at some of the camera stores that were once a major
source for equipment, one is back (but not what they were).

When I was growing up and Willoughby's was the largest camera store in the country (for almost 100 years).
Well, the name is back and from several radio ads I decided to try them. A spare battery for my camera was almost
twice what I paid earlier at B&H. I walked out and a couple of days later went to Adorama (which is about
10 blocks from where I live).

I read online that Willoughby's has been bought/sold a number of times and no relation to the company I knew
and loved as a kid.

Their help reviews are horrible;

https://www.yelp.com/biz/willoughbys-camera-new-york-2

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Freefun wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am
Canon powershot 180
https://smile.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho ... B019UDHOMO

I have Sony rx100 and Fuji cameras but I think those are overkill for you. I’ve had various powershot cameras and enjoyed them all.
I suggest this one. I have an older version of this camera - mine is 30x.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 am

an_asker wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Freefun wrote:
Canon powershot 180

I have Sony rx100 and Fuji cameras but I think those are overkill for you. I’ve had various powershot cameras and enjoyed them all.
The Canon Elph in his first link will work just fine for you and fit in your pocket at a reasonable price for a casual travel user.. The camera in the second link won't fit in a pocket and will be cumbersome to carry around if pocketable is among your criteria..

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

Malinois000 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 am
A little costly but I purchased a fixed focal Leica Q three years ago and I absolutely love it. Highly recommended.
A "little" costly? That is like saying a Maybach is little costly compared to Corolla :-) Extremely clever humble brag, I have to grant you that!

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:26 am

midareff wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 am
an_asker wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Freefun wrote:
Canon powershot 180

The Canon Elph in his first link will work just fine for you and fit in your pocket at a reasonable price for a casual travel user.. The camera in the second link won't fit in a pocket and will be cumbersome to carry around if pocketable is among your criteria..
I hear you. Didn't realize OP had stated a condition that the phone fits inside his/her pocket. But I do recall seeing somewhere that a good zoom was one of the criteria, and the 50x optical zoom definitely beats the 8x optical zoom on the first link.

Either way, you are right, the camera I am suggesting won't fit in pocket.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:45 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am
wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 am
I think it has been said enough times. What you are looking for no longer exist. To take better pictures than your smartphone is capable of taking, you have to pay even more than the cost of your smartphone. That ship has sailed.
Respectfully I beg to differ. My iPhone SE cannot hold a candle to much of the functionality of something like a DMC-ZS60 Point & Shoot - Panasonic Canada which costs CAD $499.

Smartphone cameras are good and getting better all the time, but they still lack many important features found in inexpensive point and shoot cameras such as the DMC-ZS60 (or equivalent). For travelling, optical zoom and focus controls are the biggest in my mind.
First Google Hit gives me
the new iPhone SE, which starts at $399 for the 16GB model and then jumps to $499 for the 64GB version.Mar 24, 2016
I think you are agreeing with me :-) Your camera was more expensive than your smartphone.
I can spin this both ways.

a) CAD $499 is just about USD 375 right now ;-)
b) I paid $200 for my iPhone SE a few months ago (off Swappa) and recently got one more for a family member (also off Swappa) for $105 :-)

But there is no way I (this is just me being me) would purchase a used - or refurbished - camera.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 am

Rupert wrote:

There are many threads where someone asks for advice and the responses question the premise. Someone may ask for the best allocation in an SEP IRA, and it turns out that they would be better off with a Solo 401k. Sometimes that can be helpful, sometimes not. It is up to OP to take the advice. Nobody is trying to sell, they are giving their honest response to the question.

Regarding iPhone, nobody disputes that they are expensive. The idea is that it would be cheaper to have one expensive phone with a good camera than a point and shoot combined with budget phone.
Last edited by aristotelian on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm

https://www.adorama.com/isodschx99.html ... irect=true If this is witin your bedget it would be a good choice, or certainly one to consider. Great zoom range and pocketable. New release from Sony.

BTW, https://login.dpreview.com/ap/signin?op ... th_age=600 is an excellent photographer and camera site. You can research by brand, visit forums with those who own and shoot that camera to ask questions and so forth.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:31 pm

I bought a Canon Powershot G-15 five years ago, and have found it to be a good choice. Image stabilization, zoom, great battery life, etc. Cost is ~ $500.

DH purchased an Olympus TG-5, water-resistant for our beachy holidays. He loves it. Cost was ~ $450.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:06 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 am
GoldStar wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 am
Back in the day some Nikon compacts, including some inexpensive ones, had viewfinders, comparable to the Canon A-series compacts of that era. I looked at the A900 just recently and it's disappointing that a $400 camera doesn't have a viewfinder.
I suspect they dumped viewfinders because folks using these cameras don't use them. Last coolpix I used was the P7100 - lots of manual control + flash mount + view finder. It is unfortunate Nikon seems to have discontinued that series.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 am

aristotelian wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 am
Rupert wrote:

There are many threads where someone asks for advice and the responses question the premise. Someone may ask for the best allocation in an SEP IRA, and it turns out that they would be better off with a Solo 401k. Sometimes that can be helpful, sometimes not. It is up to OP to take the advice. Nobody is trying to sell, they are giving their honest response to the question.

Regarding iPhone, nobody disputes that they are expensive. The idea is that it would be cheaper to have one expensive phone with a good camera than a point and shoot combined with budget phone.
Perhaps true on the expense front, but hopefully the OP's clarification that optical zoom was a requirement will narrow down the responses.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 am

Bought the original RX100 a few months ago on B&H. $368. It's very nice. One thing it lacks is any kind of wifi or connection to view pictures on a larger screen, like an iPad or laptop. I like to do this when traveling to get a better idea of how the photos turned out (vs the tiny camera screen) after a day of taking a lot of photos. I ended up buying an adapter that allows me to plug the memory card into an iPad. Works great.