Favorite "free stuff"?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Halfvolley

Re: Favorite "free stuff"?

Post by Halfvolley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 pm
Free water at Starbucks, samples at Costco, Internet at library and where I live free parking/entry at the beaches and free tennis at local parks.
Do you at least crack a fresh can of balls, or do you pick up strays to preserve the freeness?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

destinationnc wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Libraries are not free to get books, you're paying for them with your property taxes. I moved to an unincorporated area where the library is not a line item on the property tax bill. To get access to the local library they would require an annual payment equal to what that tax would be, and in my case it turns out the library costs about $500 a year. I can buy a lot of books for $500. I encourage everyone to go take a look at how much $ you're giving up in taxes to get your free library books.
So far in 2018 I have checked out 82 e-books. I know that because I can still see the downloads in the Adobe folder. Extrapolating through the end of the year should be about 90 total. Now, those are only borrowed of course. It doesn't count the paper books, CDs, and DVDs I have also checked out.

But it's kind of a pointless as you have to pay the taxes regardless of whether you use the services. In my case, that's a small fraction of the total. This year's property tax will be a bit over $2000. Of that, the library is a very small chunk. Most of the money, well over half, goes to schools of one sort or another. The library gets about 3% of the total, or around $60.

Saying the library isn't free is like saying public school isn't free, or fire services aren't free. Technically true in a sense, but not really relevant.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

My monthly gym membership ($39) is free via silversneakers.com.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Library
Costco samples
Local parks
Bike rides
Raking leaves in the fall with my family
Warm nights with my wife
Slow Sundays with a good book
Staying with good friends when we travel
Voting
Hiking with my kids
Campfires
Star gazing
Local nature center classes
Linux
Community parades
Friends
Volunteering
TV (no cable)
Plus much much more :beer
Last edited by Traveller on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Software....

....from the OS on up. Most of what I need I get here
https://www.centos.org/download/
or here
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/

Highfeehater

Post by Highfeehater » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Definitely a +1 on this forum. Thank you all for that. Also, all the wild berries, mushrooms and all the great food I gather from the forest where we live. Fresh, clean air. Dark starlit nights void of any light pollution. Great views of the Milky Way, shooting stars and light shows in the sky!

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Fireworks show on July 4th
Thursday evening free music concerts on the beach at Pat's Hotel
Free wine sample at art walk evenings
Free food samples at Costco
Free food and wine samples at Frys
Free wine tasting for me and friends at my favorite winery and associate wineries.
Free Christmas music concerts at Hyatt hotel
Watching Rose Bowl parade
Watching Phoenix electric lights parade
Tempe electric boat parade
San Francisco fleet week activities and air and boat show

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

money_bunny wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:39 pm
destinationnc wrote:
Libraries are not free to get books, you're paying for them with your property taxes. I moved to an unincorporated area where the library is not a line item on the property tax bill. To get access to the local library they would require an annual payment equal to what that tax would be, and in my case it turns out the library costs about $500 a year. I can buy a lot of books for $500. I encourage everyone to go take a look at how much $ you're giving up in taxes to get your free library books.
Also at the same time giving people who can't afford a computer or wifi access to apply for jobs and stay in contact with others. Providing educational resources for the less fortunate for example ESL classes, and a community space to hold meetings and events. Allowing people who can't afford 500 a year to read books. A study space for the youth. Story time for the kids, and other programming. A repository for local historical and legislative documents.
Excellent points! Our library has free computer classes, tons of children’s and teen programs, knit nights, book clubs, coffees, forums and much, much more. I also notice a lot of seniors that come to the library to read the newspaper the old fashioned way for free. So, lots of good stuff.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Halfvolley wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm
tennisplyr wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 pm
Free water at Starbucks, samples at Costco, Internet at library and where I live free parking/entry at the beaches and free tennis at local parks.
Do you at least crack a fresh can of balls, or do you pick up strays to preserve the freeness?
If your neighbor has a dog, you might get a yard full of free tennis balls whether you like tennis or not. :happy

maroon

Post by maroon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I get free oil changes at the dealership where I bought my certified used car. I take my car in every 3K miles and have gotten about 30 free oil changes so far. I thought the dealership would end the free oil changes once my car hit 100K miles, but nope.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 pm

bligh wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 pm
Google's Search engine & Gmail.

Yes I realize I am the product with those.. but it isn't like there is a good paid alternative that is equal in quality.
Gmail is not free, you are the product 😀

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 pm

On my list of things to check out... once you turn 62, you can audit classes at the state universities for free as long as they have room in the class. If you want credit, it's $10 per credit. I'm sure that some other states have similar programs. Information on the Minnesota program can be found here: Senior Citizen Education Program
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

engin33r

Post by engin33r » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

2% cash back from my Citi Double Cash card, which is dutifully paid in full each month.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Companion pass with southwest airlines. I've used it for approximately $2k worth of travel this year and will try to top that in 2019.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 pm

destinationnc wrote:
In my county taxes are rolled in, I can not pick and choose what I want to pay
Just looked it up Library = $86, it is worth every penny
State & local school tax comes to $1100 and I do not have school age family that live in my state
And as great as they are, I have no intention of anyone of them coming to live with us because of the school tax!
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm

I get free bagpipe concerts about once a week at my library. The librarian is a piper and goes out and marches and plays at lunch all summer. I also get 2 or so free author lectures and readings at our branch library most summers.

I used to give the library my old used paper books. But now I read mostly e-books and never buy a book so no donations. Does anyone give ebooks to the library? How do you give away e-books?

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Ged wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm
destinationnc wrote:
In my county the library system is a line item in the budget. It works out to about $25 per county resident per year.

Of course the downside of this approach is that it is not a voluntary contribution and many people who do not use the library are contributors.
But this is major upside for those of us that do use the library.
One could say the same of the school tax which we all must pay whether we have children or not.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 pm

destinationnc wrote:
If I had to start giving up stuff because it costs tax money, I would keep, in order:
fire dept
police
water
sewage
library

If my town were really spending $500 per capita in taxes on the library that would be $30,000,000 a year. Somehow, I think that is not happening.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 am

Trader Joe's samples are good, especially when they leave out cookies close to closing and nobody's manning the sample counter to see how many I take :).

Since November 11 is coming up, I enjoy the plethora of free meals offered by restaurants to veterans. Although now that I drive Uber and Lyft, I'll probably just earn the price of a free meal by a few trips, and pay full price when the restaurants aren't packed with vets (in effect also thanking them for their service to vets). I'll still get the free Great Clips haircut coupon, though.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:29 am

I think the only thing we get for free is the cash back rewards on our credit card.
We do use the local library a bit.
Our favorite free thing is getting a kitten fix at the local pet adoption events! :D The resident lady cat would not appreciate kitten siblings, so we can only cuddle them for a bit and hope they find great homes. We freely make a donation for the privilege of kitten cuddles.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 am

tommy85 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 am
Advice here at boglehead forum:)
+1

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am

mouses wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 pm
destinationnc wrote:
If I had to start giving up stuff because it costs tax money, I would keep, in order:
fire dept
police
water
sewage
library

If my town were really spending $500 per capita in taxes on the library that would be $30,000,000 a year. Somehow, I think that is not happening.
My library collected $15.1 million via property taxes last year, total revenue was $16.1 million, and they spent $15.5 million of which $8.3 million was employment costs. Materials were $1.9 million (I assume that is books and DVDs), and purchased services (Ebooks?) were $1.26 million.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

I too will say this site!

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm
Ged wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm
destinationnc wrote:
In my county the library system is a line item in the budget. It works out to about $25 per county resident per year.

Of course the downside of this approach is that it is not a voluntary contribution and many people who do not use the library are contributors.
But this is major upside for those of us that do use the library.
One could say the same of the school tax which we all must pay whether we have children or not.
Don't get me wrong. I am a huge supporter of public libraries. My family has made heavy use of libraries for generations.

Calico

Post by Calico » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:47 am

There is a lot of free stuff I like, but in terms of measurable ways of saving me the most money, I would have to say the free gym at work is my favorite. I use it 5 times a week, it's never crowded, and it has everything I could want.

Next might be when I dropped cable and got an antenna and Hulu and started buying the one TV show I watch a la carte from the Apple Store. Come to think of it, this might be an equal savings to not having a gym membership. But it's not exactly free (just the TV over the airwaves is free).

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 am

Deleted - duplicate
Last edited by munemaker on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am

maroon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 pm
I get free oil changes at the dealership where I bought my certified used car. I take my car in every 3K miles and have gotten about 30 free oil changes so far. I thought the dealership would end the free oil changes once my car hit 100K miles, but nope.
I suggest these oil changes are not free. They were included in the price of the car your purchased. Having the oil changed every 3,000 miles is a waste of resources.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:21 am

blueblock wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm
My monthly gym membership ($39) is free via silversneakers.com.
This membership is not free. It is part of your health plan that you are paying a fee for.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am

Kroger ClickList is "free" for my wife, as they have never failed to send a coupon for such. I guess eventually we'll have to pay for it, but we'd just go in the store at that point.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:28 am

Calico wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:47 am
There is a lot of free stuff I like, but in terms of measurable ways of saving me the most money, I would have to say the free gym at work is my favorite. I use it 5 times a week, it's never crowded, and it has everything I could want.
We have quite an extensive corporate gym on site...unfortunately I already had a $15k+ garage gym prior to working here. I have very much enjoyed working out in the middle of the day MWF instead of either waking up <5am or getting my training in after work. It's a great way to break up my work day and our on-site gym it has been a great way for me to network and get to know other employees.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am

Free streaming media (movies and documentaries) and free ebooks from local library

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 am

I love it when people give my daughter things for free when they see how much she loves something or just wants to get a kid involved in their hobby. We were at the coin shop not too long ago and they gave her a foreign coin for free even though she was going to pay for it with her own money. Another guy gave her a few lures for free at his garage sale and told her that his neighbor gave him his first fishing pole when he was her age and wanted to pass on the tradition. Another gave her a giant fossil for free after she answered a few questions about dinosaurs. She was so proud of herself for "winning" this thing. I try to do this myself whenever possible.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 am

Giving our used but still functional items to friends, relatives, and acquaintances who can use them rather than us trying to sell them for a few bucks on Craigslist, eBay, etc.

Even more enjoyable is putting out items that nobody we know wants on the street the night before garbage pick-up day and seeing how quickly they get picked up by passersby. Some of those folks are genuinely thrilled to get something that we would otherwise be throwing away. I think those are my favorite free items even though they are traveling in the opposite direction.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am

goodlifer wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 am
I love it when people give my daughter things for free when they see how much she loves something or just wants to get a kid involved in their hobby. We were at the coin shop not too long ago and they gave her a foreign coin for free even though she was going to pay for it with her own money. Another guy gave her a few lures for free at his garage sale and told her that his neighbor gave him his first fishing pole when he was her age and wanted to pass on the tradition. Another gave her a giant fossil for free after she answered a few questions about dinosaurs. She was so proud of herself for "winning" this thing. I try to do this myself whenever possible.
Wonderful story, when I was a kid a bank gave me a free piggy bank. That's when I got into the habit of saving. You never know just with a small gesture how you can motivate others.

maroon

Post by maroon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm

munemaker wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am
maroon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 pm
I suggest these oil changes are not free. They were included in the price of the car your purchased. Having the oil changed every 3,000 miles is a waste of resources.
That may be, but I didn't know about this perk when I bought the car. So I consider it free.
Also, my car is older and the owner's manual says to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Bananas from Amazon.

For some reason, Amazon gives away bananas every morning outside one of their office buildings that I walk past on my way to work. You don't have to be an Amazon employee (I'm not).

I'm very suspicious and am still looking for the catch. Maybe an implanted mircrochip to monitor my digestive habits? :wink:

I still take a banana every morning. 8-)

deikel

Post by deikel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 pm

destinationnc wrote:
I am a big fan of libraries and simply love books - so this felt very wrong....

My property tax portion for the local library system is a bit more than 50 USD and I live in high tax state. They keep a tally of value that I have checked out over the last 12 months and it is in the 12k range....even if it were your 500 USD I would be happy to pay, heck I would happily pay double that. My local library offers so many community services (meeting space, tools kits, interview kits, yoga ect.) I would argue the place defines my small community.

Divert a little of the current federal military budget and make the US library system free to access for everyone and the world would be a better place...
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Wow, for once I get to be the one who humbrags (after lurking in the threads about massive inheritances and huge salaries).

My favorite free stuff is all the free perks I get at work :)
Free gourmet coffee drinks, milk, juice, soda 24x7
Free fruit daily
Free breakfast buffet once a week
Free newspapers
Nearly free onsite gym with free grooming products in the locker room
Free first aid stations all over campus with any otc meds (i.e. tylenol, allergy pills, etc) i might ever need during work hours
Free all expenses paid weekend getaway for the whole family every summer
Free admission to a number of local museums
Plus lots of discounts to local businesses and various onsite services

And of course we use many of the other "free" things other have mentioned like the library, etc.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 pm

1. Las year, the brokerage firm who administrates our 401K provided TurboTax free of charge.
2. My family enjoys the free Smithsonian Museums very much.
3. DC Metro area has many cultural exhibits, events, parades, and fiesta - free admission.
4. My employer provides cellphone, mobile plan, and laptop - personal use permitted. I know, I know! I'll have to factor all these expenses into our retirement needs.

As a side note, someone in another thread was touting the "free meal" seminars. I am surprised that no one has brought it up here.

sigmadave_2000

Post by sigmadave_2000 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Free Stock This new website offers a customer loyalty program that gives you free shares in companies where you shop. It's a good deal for the merchants because people are likely to shop at a place where they have an ownership stake; and it's probably a cheaper way to build customer loyalty than sending coupons or giving away promotional items. I am on their waiting list. It's called bumped.com | Bloomberg Video Some merchants are paying as much as 2% in stock. Downside is that you have to give your personal info CC#, SSN, address... so they can set up a brokerage account.

Free Cash with Fidelity Rewards. It's 2% cash back
Last edited by sigmadave_2000 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJS

Post by MJS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am
... Materials were $1.9 million (I assume that is books and DVDs), and purchased services (Ebooks?) were $1.26 million.
Materials include databases and subscriptions: recipes, ancestry, business data, census, grants, worldwide newspaper texts, paper newspapers, paper journals, magazine & journal search, legal, images, medical, biographies, Consumer Reports, lots of homework tools, and on.

praxis

Post by praxis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm
Definitely e-books from the public library. It's true, as was pointed out, that you pay for the service with taxes. But it's the same cost whether you use the library or not, so it's free in that sense.

I have downloaded some free books from Amazon as well. These are generally the first in a series to try to hook you.
http://www.weberbooks.com/kindle/

I get a 24-hour shot at downloading free and discounted Kindle books from Amazon using this site (called Kindle Buffet). They are not all first in a series. I'm enjoying Rhodes' 1917 Pulitzer Prize winning, "The History of the Civil War", that I got free last weekend.

I have 176 "free" books in my Kindle today. I delete them when I finish, or return them to the library, if borrowed through Overdrive or their app called Libby.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

Also, Project Gutenberg has over 57,000 free ebooks for which copyrights have expired. Thousands of volunteers digitized and proofread these free ebooks.

I used to say that I preferred "real" printed books, but my Kindle is the basic "Paperwhite" model and I find the advantages outweigh my love of holding a book. The Kindle has adjustable font and lighting and the technology allows reading in full sun or even at night without a lamp, when my DW is sleeping. It is easy on my eyes. Mostly, I like the access to free content and the ability to carry hundreds of books in my pocket .

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm

btenny wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm
I get free bagpipe concerts about once a week at my library. The librarian is a piper and goes out and marches and plays at lunch all summer. /quote]

Please put me in touch, I need a word with him. His playing for free is bound to have an impact on other pipers' side-hustles. :D

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Hugs and kisses.

dgm

Post by dgm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:32 pm

praxis wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I have 176 "free" books in my Kindle today. I delete them when I finish, or return them to the library, if borrowed through Overdrive or their app called Libby.
Libby and Overdrive are awesome for checking out ebooks / audiobbooks from the library. You can do it from your sofa and it'll automatically check it out for you if you are waiting in line to reserve it. My favorite new additions since rediscovering the library after decades of ignoring it.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Finding near-new Titleist ProV1 golf balls in the woods alongside the golf hole I am playing.
Once those balls have gotten a taste of freedom, they can no longer be relied upon to stay in the fairway. :happy
That's kinda funny...
Attempted new signature...

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:03 pm

"free" library use
"free" trails around the city
"free" youtube and podcasts (especially free classes from MIT, Stanford, Yale and others)
Free meals on Veteran's Day
"free" internet searching
Wikipedia
Free time (when I don't have work obligations)

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Finding near-new Titleist ProV1 golf balls in the woods alongside the golf hole I am playing.
Those were mine. But enjoy, just remember that any golf ball once in the woods wants to return to the woods. Good luck.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm

The Bogleheads forum!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 am

Didn't even think of it till someone mentioned: Project Gutenberg. Compliment it with a purchased kindle and you are set.

But does this mean that there is indeed a free lunch? Maybe the people who put up the website and the content there already paid for the lunch that I am having for free.