retirement travel: RVs vs fly/drive/hotel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
visualguy

Re: retirement travel: RVs vs fly/drive/hotel

Post by visualguy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 am

shell921 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am
Trism wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am
We are dramatically more intrigued by the destination than the journey, and find driving monotonous.

I would take an airplane to the grocery store if there weren't so many logistical issues.
LOL - I hate road trips. And nowadays there are so many crazy drugged, distracted drivers and speeding jackasses on the roads!
No thanks.
+1

The more you are on the road, the higher the risks of some kind of trouble, and these risks become significant with extensive travel. Don't roll these dice more times than you have to... It doesn't take much - someone getting distracted can be enough for catastrophe to happen. Not to mention people falling asleep, DUI, etc.

Flying is much safer!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am

visualguy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 am
shell921 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am
Trism wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am
We are dramatically more intrigued by the destination than the journey, and find driving monotonous.

I would take an airplane to the grocery store if there weren't so many logistical issues.
LOL - I hate road trips. And nowadays there are so many crazy drugged, distracted drivers and speeding jackasses on the roads!
No thanks.
+1

The more you are on the road, the higher the risks of some kind of trouble, and these risks become significant with extensive travel. Don't roll these dice more times than you have to... It doesn't take much - someone getting distracted can be enough for catastrophe to happen. Not to mention people falling asleep, DUI, etc.

Flying is much safer!
Flying is safer and faster if the goal is simply to get to the endpoint, yes.

I've done three round trips from Boston area to New Mexico in retirement, 3-1/2 to 4 weeks and 6000 miles or so each.
This was in my Mustang convertible with the top down much of the way.
There was some tent camping aside from the endpoint stay, but mostly motels along the way.

I drove various indirect routes on these road trips focusing on doing/seeing something interesting every day.
I took indirect routes often, such as through the upper peninsula of Michigan.

I had zero problems driving on any of these trip, but I'm an excellent driver (from Lake Woebegone) and had very few really long days behind the wheel...
Attempted new signature...

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:58 am
If you want to keep it really simple and less expensive:

How about an SUV, remove a row of seats (or both rows). Add a nice futon, or air mattress if you want less bulk. Put up some curtains to block windows. Have a small tent if you want to use that at times. Perhaps tow a small trailer if you want more stuff. Consider some sort of compact portable potty along these lines: from REI, Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Portable Toilet Seat.

You could use camp stoves, or cook over fires, or just stop at grocery stores and not do much cooking. Some places have microwaves available these days.

Occasionally rent a hotel room. Sometimes stay at camp sites or RV sites with showers.

Overall, much less money than even purchasing a used camper to tow (assuming you have a truck that can tow it).
2 words. Rainy days.

That sounds like how I traveled when I was 25, only it was a minivan, not a SUV. Now that I’m not 25, I’ll stick with the real bed, kitchen, and bathroom of my motorhome. My bed is comfortable, I can cook and take showers when and where I want. On a cold, rainy day, I don’t want to be running around in the rain in order to feed myself. I want to snuggle up inside with the heat on, watching TV.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am
mariezzz wrote:

How about an SUV, remove a row of seats (or both rows). Add a nice futon, or air mattress if you want less bulk. Put up some curtains to block windows. Have a small tent if you want to use that at times. Perhaps tow a small trailer if you want more stuff. Consider some sort of compact portable potty along these lines: from REI, Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Portable Toilet Seat.

You could use camp stoves, or cook over fires, or just stop at grocery stores and not do much cooking. Some places have microwaves available these days.

Occasionally rent a hotel room. Sometimes stay at camp sites or RV sites with showers.

Overall, much less money than even purchasing a used camper to tow (assuming you have a truck that can tow it).
2 words. Rainy days.

That sounds like how I traveled when I was 25, only it was a minivan, not a SUV. Now that I’m not 25, I’ll stick with the real bed, kitchen, and bathroom of my motorhome. My bed is comfortable, I can cook and take showers when and where I want. On a cold, rainy day, I don’t want to be running around in the rain in order to feed myself. I want to snuggle up inside with the heat on, watching TV.
That might be a night for renting a hotel room.
Hotel rooms, Air BnB are worrisome due to bedbugs. All the hotels - expensive to cheap - battle them. Bedbugs don't care if you're rich or poor. The expensive hotels might watch for them a little more, but if the guest (a few) before you brought in bedbugs, chances are, the hotel hasn't caught them yet. I minimize my exposure to rented rooms, and thus, to bedbugs. I haven't completely eliminated them, and I always check the mattress, etc. upon entering a rented room. They're a nightmare to get rid of (expensive & lengthy process) - I'd get rid of my mattress if that ever happened, and possibly some other upholstered furniture.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I have heard some analysis that you could actually travel by car, stay at medium level hotels such as Holiday Express, Springhill Suites, etc and still come out well ahead on an annual basis over an RV, but that would depend on whether taking a two week vacation vs months for sure.

The idea of VRBO or Air BNB is appealing and merits some research.
I'm not retired. But I ran these numbers and it was most definitely cheaper and more convenient for us to just do AirBnB and drive the car compared to owning a trailer and camping. In our experience:

1. Was spending $120/mo. to store the trailer in a secure RV storage so nearly $1500/year. We live in a hilly subdivision with no adequate RV parking on our sloped lot so storage is our only option.

2. Here in the Northwest, most of the prime state park campgrounds get booked up very long in advance on peak summer weekends. Some of them get snatched up nearly the same hour the reservation system goes live for that date. So unless you are very meticulous about advance vacation planning (I'm not) you end up needing to stay at much more expensive private campgrounds in prime locations such as the beach, or going mid-week which our jobs won't permit. Camping at some of the private beachfront camprounds on the Pacific Coast is almost as expensive as some AirBnB rentals.

3. Gas mileage drops in half when we are towing the trailer with the Highlander.

4. Maintenance/cleaning is a major chore if you have the RV stored offsite. Especially if power and water are not available or difficult. I couldn't push out the slide-outs when it was in the storage spot so that made things much more complicated to clean and pack.

5. We often chose to take vacations that are either (1) beyond driving distance such as to Costa Rica, or (2) outside of camping season such as fall/winter/early spring vacations to mountain resorts. So the camper didn't get as much us as we thought and kind of ties you into making trips that might not be exactly what you want.

Sold the camper last year and don't miss it one bit. When we retire I might consider something small and light like a Casita for the occasional budget vacation around here. But I don't really see us doing the 15,000 miles 9 months on the road thing. Finding a nice AirBnB or VRBO and then flying or driving depending on distance has turned out to be more our style.
Appreciate the wisdom of your experience, you have actually been there, done that! I will have to see over the next couple of years of this new retirement whether I tend to take fly trips more than regional park trips, and I suspect based upon my pre-retirement, that I am more likely to just leave my home for a week or so, flying to a warm weather destination away from NW rain, get a good rental car deal on Costco for a week, stay at one of my "loyalty" chains like Marriott Courtyard or Holiday Inn Express. See how that goes first. Maybe drive my Avalanche, and , in response to Mariezzz, yes, with the Avalanche, the back bed is secure, you can keep it locked, open the midgate inside, have a bed for an overnight if needed, and have a camp stove to cook outside on a picnic table. Maybe a power inverter and solar panel on the roof for a small fridge. Something I will explore on the internet to see if others have modified an Avalanche or cab pickup for brief campovers.

Stlll, I will probably visit one of the big RV shows, maybe I have to get that Airstream Bambi experience out of my system at some point, or a small fifth wheel!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Speaking of big RV shows, they seem to come to my area every three or four months, but the local RV/trailer dealers (there are several large ones) all seem to have a huge inventory of new vehicles on their lots. I often wonder how much of capital is tied up in that inventory and how many they can possibly sell...

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 pm
Speaking of big RV shows, they seem to come to my area every three or four months, but the local RV/trailer dealers (there are several large ones) all seem to have a huge inventory of new vehicles on their lots. I often wonder how much of capital is tied up in that inventory and how many they can possibly sell...
I'm not sure how the RV business actually works but I would not be surprised if the manufacturers are actually advancing the money or have arrangements with the dealers such that it is more of a consignment type of arrangement where the RV lots are actually functioning as storage depots for the manufacturers and they get paid when the unit sells. And they move them around when another dealer want's a particular unit.

Anyone know how this works? The RV dealers I've come into contact with are often pretty small scale type operators and I can't see how they would have the capital to own their entire stock outright.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm
texasdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I have heard some analysis that you could actually travel by car, stay at medium level hotels such as Holiday Express, Springhill Suites, etc and still come out well ahead on an annual basis over an RV, but that would depend on whether taking a two week vacation vs months for sure.

The idea of VRBO or Air BNB is appealing and merits some research.
I'm not retired. But I ran these numbers and it was most definitely cheaper and more convenient for us to just do AirBnB and drive the car compared to owning a trailer and camping. In our experience:

1. Was spending $120/mo. to store the trailer in a secure RV storage so nearly $1500/year. We live in a hilly subdivision with no adequate RV parking on our sloped lot so storage is our only option.

2. Here in the Northwest, most of the prime state park campgrounds get booked up very long in advance on peak summer weekends. Some of them get snatched up nearly the same hour the reservation system goes live for that date. So unless you are very meticulous about advance vacation planning (I'm not) you end up needing to stay at much more expensive private campgrounds in prime locations such as the beach, or going mid-week which our jobs won't permit. Camping at some of the private beachfront camprounds on the Pacific Coast is almost as expensive as some AirBnB rentals.

3. Gas mileage drops in half when we are towing the trailer with the Highlander.

4. Maintenance/cleaning is a major chore if you have the RV stored offsite. Especially if power and water are not available or difficult. I couldn't push out the slide-outs when it was in the storage spot so that made things much more complicated to clean and pack.

5. We often chose to take vacations that are either (1) beyond driving distance such as to Costa Rica, or (2) outside of camping season such as fall/winter/early spring vacations to mountain resorts. So the camper didn't get as much us as we thought and kind of ties you into making trips that might not be exactly what you want.

Sold the camper last year and don't miss it one bit. When we retire I might consider something small and light like a Casita for the occasional budget vacation around here. But I don't really see us doing the 15,000 miles 9 months on the road thing. Finding a nice AirBnB or VRBO and then flying or driving depending on distance has turned out to be more our style.
Appreciate the wisdom of your experience, you have actually been there, done that! I will have to see over the next couple of years of this new retirement whether I tend to take fly trips more than regional park trips, and I suspect based upon my pre-retirement, that I am more likely to just leave my home for a week or so, flying to a warm weather destination away from NW rain, get a good rental car deal on Costco for a week, stay at one of my "loyalty" chains like Marriott Courtyard or Holiday Inn Express. See how that goes first. Maybe drive my Avalanche, and , in response to Mariezzz, yes, with the Avalanche, the back bed is secure, you can keep it locked, open the midgate inside, have a bed for an overnight if needed, and have a camp stove to cook outside on a picnic table. Maybe a power inverter and solar panel on the roof for a small fridge. Something I will explore on the internet to see if others have modified an Avalanche or cab pickup for brief campovers.

Stlll, I will probably visit one of the big RV shows, maybe I have to get that Airstream Bambi experience out of my system at some point, or a small fifth wheel!
I think the calculation would be different if we lived someplace like Arkansas where there are a ton of nice state parks around that don't get overly crowded. The Oregon Coast in summer is an entirely different animal as driving down the coast and camping on 101 seems to be everyone's dream and there are just a bazillion retired RVers competing for all the best spots at all the nice state parks. Even the state parks up in the mountains fill up really quickly, at least the ones with pull-through sites and full hookups. There are a ton of self serve forest service campgrounds scattered all over the national forests that are basically dry campsites with pit toilets and maybe a hand pump for water but they are all first come first served and mostly unattended so you are rolling the dice on peak weekends and these days at the closer-in forest service campgrounds you often run into permanent looking homeless types camping out in trashed trailers that can feel fairly sketchy.

The last couple of times we went summer camping before I sold the trailer we ended up at KOA type campgrounds that were more or less just paved parking areas way off the beach and aren't much fun if you are in a popup tent camper in a sea of wall to wall big RVs and 5th wheels. So I said screw it this isn't worth the hassle when AirBnB is so easy and there are so many decent rentals on the coast for about the same money when all is said and done.

camden

Post by camden » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 am

I have no interest in RVing for travel, for many of the reasons listed above. I have a particular dislike of them for another reason; people in my neighborhood who, in violation of the covenants (enforcement of which is nearly nonexistent with our HOA, but that’s another story) store the miserable eyesores in their driveways where they sit most of the year. Nothing looks worse for a neighborhood than a few of those ugly-as-sin monstrosities; if you have one, please be considerate to others and store it elsewhere.

wcshaff

Post by wcshaff » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:48 pm

We opted for the all-aluminum Alto trailer by Safari Condo. While they have several models, one of their unique offerings is an aerodynamic unit that moves up and down electrically. When down it parks fine in our standard garage and is efficient on the highway. When up it has plenty of headroom for me (I am 6' 5"). Lightweight and towable with Suburu-class vehicles (we have a Highlander). Made by a Quebec firm and in very, very high demand. Little or no depreciation - you basically sell them for what you paid for them. Plus, wonderful online community. We had a issue on the road, tapped in the problem, and had the resolution within minutes. This model does not have a dry bath but they recently added a larger model that might be of interest to you.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:04 pm
We have traveled extensively been to all 50 states and 10 Canadian Provinces always staying in hotels. We retired in 2015 and spend 3-4 months on the road. We entertained the travel trailer idea and can not get over the following road blocks....

1. Every trailer park we have driven past the trailers are very close to each other and offer no privacy. What happens when the folks on either side of you are up until 1am having a party?
2. Wife says she would have to still cook and clean no vacation for her.
3. The low mpg on anything you tow or drive seems very expensive to deal with.
4. The parks in the south west are gravel or blacktop very little grass or green space.

So do not see this form of travel in our future....
What vehicle do you use when you are on the road for several months of the year?

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 am

wcshaff wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:48 pm
We opted for the all-aluminum Alto trailer by Safari Condo. While they have several models, one of their unique offerings is an aerodynamic unit that moves up and down electrically. When down it parks fine in our standard garage and is efficient on the highway. When up it has plenty of headroom for me (I am 6' 5"). Lightweight and towable with Suburu-class vehicles (we have a Highlander). Made by a Quebec firm and in very, very high demand. Little or no depreciation - you basically sell them for what you paid for them. Plus, wonderful online community. We had a issue on the road, tapped in the problem, and had the resolution within minutes. This model does not have a dry bath but they recently added a larger model that might be of interest to you.
I like the aerodynamic idea and also being able to park inside the garage. For some reason, companies in Canada have been innovative in Class B conversions and small trailers for years. I don't think the dry bath is such a big issue worth paying for unless you are on the road for months.Most private RV parks have showers/toilets. You are paying for the hot water in the fee, so might as well use it.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 am

catalina355 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
We have traveled extensively been to all 50 states and 10 Canadian Provinces always staying in hotels. We retired in 2015 and spend 3-4 months on the road. We entertained the travel trailer idea and can not get over the following road blocks....

1. Every trailer park we have driven past the trailers are very close to each other and offer no privacy. What happens when the folks on either side of you are up until 1am having a party?
4. The parks in the south west are gravel or blacktop very little grass or green space.

What vehicle do you use when you are on the road for several months of the year?
2017 Honda CRV Touring drove to Scottsdale,AZ stayed 2 months drove 3K miles while in AZ exploring, took a week going out and week coming back and Newfoundland 5 weeks including Prince Edward Island in 2018. Hawaii via San Francisco we flew in 2017 6 weeks on the road.

Retirednomad

Post by Retirednomad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Have owned an Aliner trailer, then a Hi-lo trailer (both popped up with hard sides). Had each about 5 years and sold each easily. Bought an old conversion van we outfitted at Van Specialties in Portland, Or. Loved that van but wanted to upgrade to a Pleasure-way Traverse (pop up van on a Ford chassis). This was our early retirement gift to each other about 4 years ago.

We have done a lot of travel by air in the past for work. A lot of international travel for fun. And after all that we are ok flying by air if we have to.

We justified buying the van by saying it would be our second vehicle and the bonus is it tows a new to us fishing boat.

Have traveled many miles in comfy seats listening to audio books as we head off to a new destination. Been through a lot of the western national parks, Canadian Rockies and yes, to Vancouver island. Because it's on a regular van chassis, we are charged auto rates on the ferries. Even made our spoiled rat terrier a ramp that doubles as a carpeted floor in the van.

On long rainy days and nights it can get a little small. But for us, we are generally outside cooking, riding our folding bikes, hiking, grilling, or walking the dog. We even take it to the coast and have had naps at the beach or spent time reading our kindles and drinking a cup of coffee listening to the ocean in good weather and as the fog rolled in. It's been one of the best purchases for us because we do these kinds of things and love the flexibility. Our next trip is the desert southwest....probably a good 4-6 week trip in January. 8-)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 pm

TLC1957 wrote:

To each their own. RVing is not for everyone.

1) you’re looking at the wrong parks. The best parks tend to not be right on the highway. As far as people having parties at 1 am, I’ve actually had more problems with that in hotels than campgrounds or RV parks. The demographic at RV parks tends to be a mix of seniors and, when school is out, families with kids.

2) is a legitimate concern. We prefer cooking for ourselves most of the time. It saves money and allows us to eat healthier. But we still go out once or twice a week. Staying in an RV doesn’t mean that you have to cook. It means that you can cook.

3) we get a consistent 15 mpg. Not great, but not a budget buster, either. In RVing, there are two main expenses. Fuel and camping. Both of which can be controlled by choosing how far you drive and where you camp. You can drive every day, or drive once every week or two. And you can camp in a place that’s $75/night, or a place that’s free. Some of the best places are on the cheaper end of the range.

4) again, you’re looking at the wrong parks. Also, I could say the same about many of the motels and hotels in that area as well. We live in Southern California. The main reason we got the motorhome was because we wanted to go places in the desert where the hotel/motel options were suboptimal. Camping options in those places are much better.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 pm
TLC1957 wrote:

To each their own. RVing is not for everyone.

1) you’re looking at the wrong parks. The best parks tend to not be right on the highway. As far as people having parties at 1 am, I’ve actually had more problems with that in hotels than campgrounds or RV parks. The demographic at RV parks tends to be a mix of seniors and, when school is out, families with kids.

2) is a legitimate concern. We prefer cooking for ourselves most of the time. It saves money and allows us to eat healthier. But we still go out once or twice a week. Staying in an RV doesn’t mean that you have to cook. It means that you can cook.

3) we get a consistent 15 mpg. Not great, but not a budget buster, either. In RVing, there are two main expenses. Fuel and camping. Both of which can be controlled by choosing how far you drive and where you camp. You can drive every day, or drive once every week or two. And you can camp in a place that’s $75/night, or a place that’s free. Some of the best places are on the cheaper end of the range.

4) again, you’re looking at the wrong parks. Also, I could say the same about many of the motels and hotels in that area as well. We live in Southern California. The main reason we got the motorhome was because we wanted to go places in the desert where the hotel/motel options were suboptimal. Camping options in those places are much better.
Our thinking is the $50-100K to buy a RV, maintain, low mpg, store it, etc we can stay in nice hotels every night on the road and be ahead of the game. We typically stay at Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Resident Inn, Embassy Suits, etc. We have looked at RV several times and just do not see the attraction....we are just weird I guess :sharebeer

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:43 am

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am
quantAndHold wrote:
mariezzz wrote:

2 words. Rainy days.

Hotel rooms, Air BnB are worrisome due to bedbugs. All the hotels - expensive to cheap - battle them. Bedbugs don't care if you're rich or poor. The expensive hotels might watch for them a little more, but if the guest (a few) before you brought in bedbugs, chances are, the hotel hasn't caught them yet. I minimize my exposure to rented rooms, and thus, to bedbugs. I haven't completely eliminated them, and I always check the mattress, etc. upon entering a rented room. They're a nightmare to get rid of (expensive & lengthy process) - I'd get rid of my mattress if that ever happened, and possibly some other upholstered furniture.

I've spent hundreds of nights in hotels and airbnbs. Never had any issue. Never heard anybody having this issue.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 am

If you are dragging your RV only 300 miles a day, you need it because you will be on the road for that many more days. Think twice as much time to go somewhere. Twice as many nights.
Plus, you have to stop sooner, drag that thing into the campground, hook it up, jack it up, level it, set up the remote generator, string your Chinese lanterns and put out the chairs on your AstroTurf. Me, I've driven twice as far and am already checked into hotel, gone out to dinner, spent no more than your extra time on the road, extra gas, campground/trailer park cost. Plus, out west I can pass that long line of trucks and RVs and get safe. Not stuck in he flow with all of them.
Just stay to the right. Because I am coming by and I will be at Yellowstone four days before you arrive.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:43 am
mariezzz wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:
mariezzz wrote:

2 words. Rainy days.

I've spent hundreds of nights in hotels and airbnbs. Never had any issue. Never heard anybody having this issue.
You can use google and come across a couple hundred articles and threads about people facing this problem with hotels and AirBNB. it is at the level where you don't expect it to happen but hearing about it isn't exactly shocking.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Our thinking is the $50-100K to buy a RV, maintain, low mpg, store it, etc we can stay in nice hotels every night on the road and be ahead of the game. We typically stay at Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Resident Inn, Embassy Suits, etc. We have looked at RV several times and just do not see the attraction....we are just weird I guess :sharebeer
How many HI express, Resident Inn, Embassy Suite, and so on are there in say Yellowstone national park? I haven't actually looked (and I bet there are cabins for rent in the park) but I don't think anyone should be buying an RV because they think it is cheaper than a hotel room. Unless you on the road for like 180+ days, odds are it isn't. But it gives you a different experience than staying in a hotel room. If you like that experience is up to you. I know several people that loved camping in their 20s-50s who love RVing in their 60s+ as they like the slight upgrade in comfort level. The hotel just doesn't give the same experience.

It is the type of thing I would definitely rent for a week or two before buying. I vote for the hotel but I can understand why some people prefer the RV.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 am
If you are dragging your RV only 300 miles a day, you need it because you will be on the road for that many more days. Think twice as much time to go somewhere. Twice as many nights.
Plus, you have to stop sooner, drag that thing into the campground, hook it up, jack it up, level it, set up the remote generator, string your Chinese lanterns and put out the chairs on your AstroTurf. Me, I've driven twice as far and am already checked into hotel, gone out to dinner, spent no more than your extra time on the road, extra gas, campground/trailer park cost. Plus, out west I can pass that long line of trucks and RVs and get safe. Not stuck in he flow with all of them.
Just stay to the right. Because I am coming by and I will be at Yellowstone four days before you arrive.
having just been at Yellowstone a couple of months ago...you probably spent more for your lodging than we did for the 1 1-2 weeks there (and in the Tetons/Jackson)
But we travel more than 300 miles a day... but also purchased a used RV trailer (24 ft) which we found to be adequate while still allowing access to more sites. Agreed, new just didn’t seem sensible given the very high depreciation trailers have in the first years, hence buying a good two, three, or four year old one makes sense...let the previous owner take the hit, but do your due diligence on the trailer to make sure it’s up to specs. (caution: there are some private parks that don’t accept any RV’s older than ten years, even if in pristine condition)

{edit: and as noted above, there’s not any chain hotels in Yellowstone or Yosemite or even Grand Canyon}

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm

I camped in my tent.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm
You can use google and come across a couple hundred articles and threads about people facing this problem with hotels and AirBNB. it is at the level where you don't expect it to happen but hearing about it isn't exactly shocking.
I do not disagree with you, but my feeling is that bedbugs are not frequent enough to influence my decisions.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 am

Starfish wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am
randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm
I do not disagree with you, but my feeling is that bedbugs are not frequent enough to influence my decisions.

I care enough to search the reviews before checking in. Not enough to avoid hotels.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 am

randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 pm
How many HI express, Resident Inn, Embassy Suite, and so on are there in say Yellowstone national park? I haven't actually looked (and I bet there are cabins for rent in the park)
Last I checked, there are no chain hotels in the park. But there are some just outside in West Yellowstone. Not exactly the same as staying right in the park, but certainly doable, The park itself has lodges, cabins and camp grounds. Book early. My plan is to rent an RV for some trips through the National Parks of the West.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:54 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 am
randomguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 pm
How many HI express, Resident Inn, Embassy Suite, and so on are there in say Yellowstone national park? I haven't actually looked (and I bet there are cabins for rent in the park)
Last I checked, there are no chain hotels in the park. But there are some just outside in West Yellowstone. Not exactly the same as staying right in the park, but certainly doable, The park itself has lodges, cabins and camp grounds. Book early. My plan is to rent an RV for some trips through the National Parks of the West.
Yellowstone exemplifies the differences better RV camping, tent camping, and hoteling.

We spent nine days in summer high season in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Five of us spent 3 days driving from home, and six nights in the two parks.

It was our first big trip in the trailer so I kept a spreadsheet of costs. We spent $1350 camping instead of $3400 if we had taken the car and stayed in cabins. The biggest savings are in lodging ($50-$75 per night for camp sites compared to $250-$300 per night in cabins in the park) and food (cooking all of our meals instead of eating out every meal, $300 instead of $1200). The biggest additional costs are for fuel, but even considering the slightly higher price of diesel the difference was only $500. Outside of the parks en route to and returning from the parks a decent motel would have been $100-$150 but our camp sites were only $25.

Obviously the wear and tear has to be considered as well and that will add up, perhaps halving the savings.

For us the trailer was even more compelling because we had a party of five. There are few motels or cabins which permit more than four occupants. As a result, we would have had to get two rooms everywhere we went. That would have added another $1500 to our costs.

The travel style is different. You can't pull over at any old Town or shop with a trailer. Parking can be difficult. You have to think more carefully about road width, curves, and grades. Weather is something to be considered more seriously. Hooking up takes a bit but that's just a one or two person job while the others can play and relax. On the other hand, my truck is much nicer to drive than our Prius. For five people it's oodles more comfortable and spacious. It's far quieter and much softer to ride in. A better highway car would be worthwhile for those planning to road trip but the mileage would suffer a little.

Staying in the heart of the parks was worth it to us. Closer to attractions. Able to stay out later and avoid the worst traffic coming in and out of the main exits every morning and evening.

To each his own. Definitely rent first if you're not sure. I had researched for years and we were very experienced car campers so we bought new and don't regret it at all

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:15 am

I go back and fourth on which method of travel I want to do when I retire. I love the state and national parks, and want to do more of this when retired and for longer periods of time. I currently do a combination of tent camping, cheap camper cabins within or right next to parks, and motels.

Now that I'm in my 50's tents are losing their appeal. I'm debating between class B, small class C (under 25 feet) or small trailer. Two intangibles for me are the ability to travel with pets, and there is also something very appealing for me to be right in the forest with the sights, smells, sounds, camp fire, grilling, etc., and yet being able to step right into the comfort of an RV/trailer. There isn't much less fun than packing up a tent and campsite when it's cold and rainy.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:29 am

RVing is not for everyone. I have friends and family who have very happily lived and traveled in RVs for years at a time with occaisonal stops at home when they are passing through. Others buy RVs which get parked in the driveway until they rot away. They are a lot like expensive boats where some get a lot of happines and others not so much. I used to prefer rough camping but these days I prefer motels/hotels with a decent bed and the convenience not hauling everything around. To me, an RV combines the worst of all choices for traveling.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:49 am

I'd like to buy one of these, or similar
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class ... l/overview
But that would be about 10% of what we have saved up.
We could fly and hotel many times for the cost of it.
But some places we want to go there are no hotels.
And flying is not much fun these days.
The ideal would be able to do both, or all three. But I'm tired of working

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:20 pm

I am a long time car trip person. Started going on car trips with my dad as a kid. Loved riding and seeing stuff and talking about the sights as we drove along. In those days we mostly stayed with relatives. Now that I am retired and older I stay in my second home or with relatives and friends a lot. We take long vacations and do long multi-week road trips. And yes sometimes we stay in hotels and Airbnb places for weeks as well. I estimate we have driven 200K miles or more on various road trips over the last 15 years. We have driven across the country from San Francisco to Maine and Boston and back once and from Phoenix to Key West and back twice. Plus we drive back and forth between two homes multiple times a year. We travel a lot.

But I also tried out the RV thing a few times when my kids were young. We rented a class C rig and went skiing one winter and found out RVs do not handle the cold well. And another time we went to the Rose parade. That time was great but nerve racking to drive and park with big traffic and close city streets. We also went RVing with friends to a few football games as well. I really liked the RV for football games and tail gating and since I did not have to drive the thing it was great. But we just found RVing had real limits for long distance travel. The big boxes are hard to drive and hard to park and complicated to set up. They are expensive to own and store and operate. You have to be a detail trip planner who sticks to a rigid schedules for them to be usable. But they are fun in certain situations.

And when we retired we did a lot of soul searching about buying a RV for long trips. We decided we could drive and stay in hotels and with friends and relatives for way less money and more fun without the RV. The key was we were at peoples houses all day and night for more talking and goofing off. And even if we stayed at a hotel it was close by. But if we had a RV we could not do that because we would be camped across town miles away as some RV park and cooking alone in our RV instead of talking to friends or seeing stuff. And in our case we only liked to travel for 6 weeks or so and then we want to go home. So no long winters/summers in the RV....

Just my thoughts. Everyone has their own lifestyle. Good Luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Oh I forgot. We also tried Van camping or class B camping (as it is now know) when my kids were little. I had a hippy van that had a bed in back and center area for kid sleeping and a camp stove and so forth. It was fun but challenging in lots of ways. We had to sleep in paid campgrounds and use the camp showers which all cost money. We were broke young people.
We tried to use it for a base while boating but without power we had no AC so it was too hot. And too small for two kids and tow adults. And challenging for boon docking. I was kicked out of Yosemite national park while asleep at 4AM by a park ranger. You cannot sleep in your camper in parking lots even if parked next to your rented tent space. So think carefully about that big expensive Class B RV. You may not find it as user friendly as you envision.

Good Luck.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:45 pm

GCD wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:16 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Hope this will stimulate some discussion and thoughts that will help more than just myself. :sharebeer
So in the mode of stimulating discussion...

Have you thought about a boat? My wife and I are taking boating lessons in anticipation of doing the Great Loop. This is a trip that takes you on a full loop from Florida up the East Coast and Intercoastal Waterway to New York, then up the Hudson River to some Great Lake, across 3 Great Lakes to Chicago then through canals to the Mississippi river down to the Gulf of Mexico and then over to Florida. It's about a 6,000 mile trip and a lot of people do it over the course of a year. If you do that you avoid hurricane season in the south and avoid severe winter weather in the north.

There's all kinds of spurs too. I plan on visiting friends in Kentucky, Tennessee, South Dakota and Oklahoma.

We have talked for 17 years about doing the RV thing across America. We are still going to do some form of that, but the Great Loop lets you see urban areas like New York City and Chicago that you would never go near in a 5th wheel. There's quite a community of boaters too.

https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?sl=1019537446
I became aware of the Great Loop last year. It is definitely something I'm interested in. I've done a lot of reading and boat research. My problem is my last boat owning experience was 20 years ago and limited to a 20 foot ski boat on a freshwater lake. The logistics of getting a boat in a coastal area and gaining the experience to do the loop are a little daunting, to be honest. I love the idea of the inland rivers trip as well. I'm not saying we will or won't do the loop, but I'm certainly interested.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 pm

I got really enchanted with the concept of the Class B motorhome after reading Live Your Road Trip Dream several years ago. I highly recommend the book for the huge amount of practical detail the authors include, including a detailed budget vs. actual for their year on the road.

Enchantment met reality when DH and I went to an RV show. The Class B motorhomes were slightly claustrophobic for me, at 5'4", and tremendously so for DH at 6'3". By the time we got to something we could imagine living comfortably in, we were up to the $100K range. Yes, I know we would have looked for gently-used RVs if we'd purchased, but still...

Oh, and there was one other thing peculiar to us. DH and adult son and I shared a cousin's RV as their guest room the following summer. DS was born here in SoCal, and DH and I have lived most of our lives here. We found that any time one of us moved, we all woke up in alarm, because the vibration was just like an earthquake. Yes, we'd probably get over it in time, but still...

So we decided on a Toyota Sienna and hotels. Buying a Sienna as a retired couple is pretty funny; the sales people seem to think this model is only for soccer moms! The Sienna drives like a dream, and makes it extremely comfortable to do 500 miles in a day when needed. It's big enough to carry six adults and their luggage for two weeks in the summer, as we demonstrated when we took DS, his GF (now wife as of last weekend!), and two friends on a tour of the western National Parks. Mileage is in the mid 20s on the highway.

We stay in Choice Hotels (Econolodge, Comfort, Quality) or Marriotts, and pay for them with the branded credit card for each. Points accumulate pretty fast, so we are often staying in an Econolodge for 6000 points plus $15. There's another economy that isn't obvious; when you pay with points plus $, the $ are to buy additional points, so there are no hotel taxes. Since hotel taxes are often over 10%, that's a noticeable saving over time. Also, breakfast is always included.

And of course you can cook in a hotel! Hotel rooms usually include a fridge and microwave, so it's possible to make a real meal or buy ready-made at the nearest grocery store. We often get microwaveable frozen food like lasagna or spinach souffle and eat right in the room. Also, I've found that most restaurant meals are at least double what I need, so I get at least one extra night out of the leftovers. We carry a small cooler for drinks and any food that needs to stay chilled.

We often stay with friends, so that's a few free nights, when the only expense is taking them out to dinner to say thank you.

RCL

Post by RCL » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Nobody seems to mention the cost of the tow vehicle for a trailer or 5th wheel, replacement of tires, replacement batteries, vehicle registration, etc.
Not to mention storage costs, repairs of just about everything inside the RV, and the occasional oops moment when you run into something you couldn't see or someone didn't see you.
Don't get me wrong there can be many pleasant memories from the trips that go well...but for those trips that don't go well :(
I know, I've been there, done that with just about every kind of camping available.
Best day was when we decided it just wasn't worth it.
Full disclosure, we were never ones who would head out for months at a time.

Different strokes, different folks, for sure :beer
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Mike Scott wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:29 am
RVing is not for everyone. I have friends and family who have very happily lived and traveled in RVs for years at a time with occaisonal stops at home when they are passing through. Others buy RVs which get parked in the driveway until they rot away. They are a lot like expensive boats where some get a lot of happines and others not so much. I used to prefer rough camping but these days I prefer motels/hotels with a decent bed and the convenience not hauling everything around. To me, an RV combines the worst of all choices for traveling.
Nah the worst would be traveling on greyhound buses and then hiking to a camp site. Granted I might have just had 1 too many bad bus experiences:) I bet a lot of the differences come down to how you imagine your vacation. Are we talking a leisurely 4 months up and down all the national parks of the west or short 4 day jaunts. One is more of vacation as a lifestyle while the other is the vacation as working people do it:).

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 am
Very bizarre post.

Why do you assume the OP would be in such an extreme rush to get from Point A to Point B? They are considering an RV for retirement travel and presumably not concerned with blowing past RV travelers as they rush to their next hotel stop.

You also assume the OP wishes to drive hundreds/thousands of miles, directly from Point A to Point B, without stopping along the way to explore/sight see/vacation. They likely don't care that you got to "Yellowstone four days before they arrived" because they were visiting the many wonderful cities, national forests, monuments, ect that you rushed past.

And maybe the OP doesn't want to spent their retirement travel in a hotel. Maybe they don't want to share the same bed with thousands of other guests, sleep in a room that is only marginally cleaned, live out of a suitcase that gets schlepped in/out of their car every day, or eat at restaurants every meal.

There are pluses and minuses to every mode of travel. And while and RV might not be the fastest as you point out, there are many unique positive benefits and experiences that can't be replicated by other forms.

wander

Post by wander » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

We will get a B Class RV in retirement but don't mind to stay at a hotel either.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Starfish wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:
mariezzz wrote:

2 words. Rainy days.

There are fairly frequent articles about this in newspapers, etc.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... otels.html
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nfestation
https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-tips ... dbugs.html
https://www.consumerreports.org/hotels- ... ugs-hotel/
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-to ... hotel-room

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Gretchen wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 pm

And of course you can cook in a hotel! ...We often get microwaveable frozen food like lasagna or spinach souffle and eat right in the room.
I think my idea of cooking and yours are different. :wink:

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 pm
Starfish wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:
mariezzz wrote:

2 words. Rainy days.

I looked at a couple of the above links and can't find any statistics on how prevalent the problem is. One of the above articles states that sightings have gone up by 70% but what does this mean? From a 0.001% chance to a 0.0017% chance?
I stay in hotels on business and leisure 100 or so nights a year and have never had a problem with them myself. I work on a team of 150 folks who also travel extensively for work - not a single problem with anyone's hotel room in many years with this number of folks. I believe the threat is greatly exaggerated by the media but would love some real data. Personally I prefer airline/hotel travel to RV travel. With RV travel you are using either public restrooms or having to worry about where you will empty your "holding tank". And the pricing of an RV and rental spots doesn't seem to have much of a financial advantage anymore.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm
mariezzz wrote:
Starfish wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:

2 words. Rainy days.

I looked at a couple of the above links and can't find any statistics on how prevalent the problem is. One of the above articles states that sightings have gone up by 70% but what does this mean? From a 0.001% chance to a 0.0017% chance?
I stay in hotels on business and leisure 100 or so nights a year and have never had a problem with them myself. I work on a team of 150 folks who also travel extensively for work - not a single problem with anyone's hotel room in many years with this number of folks. I believe the threat is greatly exaggerated by the media but would love some real data. Personally I prefer airline/hotel travel to RV travel. With RV travel you are using either public restrooms or having to worry about where you will empty your "holding tank". And the pricing of an RV and rental spots doesn't seem to have much of a financial advantage anymore.
You should definitely make whatever choice you feel comfortable with. Bedbugs are also a problem in college dorms, and most libraries keep freezers to put books in, if they have bedbugs, upon return.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm
GoldStar wrote:
mariezzz wrote:
Starfish wrote:
mariezzz wrote:

You should definitely make whatever choice you feel comfortable with. Bedbugs are also a problem in college dorms, and most libraries keep freezers to put books in, if they have bedbugs, upon return.
I'm not saying they aren't a problem - I'm just saying the chance of them impacting you at any hotel or AirBnB you stay at is likely very very small.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Personally I prefer airline/hotel travel to RV travel.
How many RV trips have you taken?

What types of places did you visit during these trips?

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm
I'm not saying they aren't a problem - I'm just saying the chance of them impacting you at any hotel or AirBnB you stay at is likely very very small.
I'd suggest doing your own research. You may have a different risk tolerance than I do. :sharebeer

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm
GoldStar wrote:
I'd suggest doing your own research. You may have a different risk tolerance than I do. :sharebeer
I've tried - can't find any good data - that's why I asked the question as to whether any real data exists.
All I can do is conclude that the numbers are very very low based upon what I've been able to gather.
You have a much better chance of dying or suffering serious injury in a car crash while driving your RV than getting a bed-bug (and you, of course, have a much better chance of an auto-accident than an airplane one).

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Started Out at Emerald Isle Nc
2 weeks ago
Slowly working our way along down the coast
Vilano Beach Florida now.
Have not spent one night in a campground.
Parking lots,Boat Ramps by the Ocean.
Publix Lots,Lowes,National Forests.etc
Preferred way of travel for us,,
Roll On :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

csm

Post by csm » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Toons,

Looks like a ProMaster-based Roadtrek - a Zion? Nice rig.

We bought a Winnebago Travato 59K (also ProMaster-based) this summer and love it (also looked at the Zion, PleasureWay and others). Traveled much like you on our virgin trip - only one night in a campground with hook-ups (in the Redwoods because the state parks were full) on an 8,000 mile trip across South Dakota, Badlands, Yellowstone, Tetons, Idaho, the Oregon Coast and northern CA coast before driving back to Florida. Spent nights in state parks, city parks, rest areas (where legal), WalMart (in a pinch), Cracker Barrel, etc.

I did not know Publix lots and Lowes were options. Does it depend on the state or individual location? Did you check with management for permission?

Would also love some suggestions for boat ramps by the ocean. Florida to NC would be a perfect route for us. Where is the photo taken?

Thank you!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 am

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 pm
mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 pm
GoldStar wrote:
I've tried - can't find any good data - that's why I asked the question as to whether any real data exists.
All I can do is conclude that the numbers are very very low based upon what I've been able to gather.
You have a much better chance of dying or suffering serious injury in a car crash while driving your RV than getting a bed-bug (and you, of course, have a much better chance of an auto-accident than an airplane one).
How the heck to you get that conclusion? How do you go from not having data to concluding that your odds of dying are much lower than getting bed bugs? From the limited data I have seen (many from urban centers) I would place your odds of getting bed bugs at an order of magnitude more than dying in crash. Still don't expect either to happen in my life:)

Staying home is far safer than either flying or driving. But if you have to drive, RVs have a fraction of the death rate of cars. Flying is also pretty environmental irresponsible compared to driving. Though the RV will be close depending on how many people are in it:) But I doubt anyone thinks about any of that when picking what to do.

westie

Post by westie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm

this is an easy one.

Stay in motels, why waste money on "owning/storing/maintaining a trailer"