Is an MBA worth it these days?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Livehard1234

Re: Is an MBA worth it these days?

Post by Livehard1234 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Went to a borderline top-10 school. Salary jumped immediately from ~$70k pre-MBA to $135k post (a job in the tech sector I could not have gotten w/o the MBA). It has since increased 28% per year on average to $750k 8 years post. Obviously, I had to perform, but the MBA opened doors that were quite simply unavailable to me otherwise.

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm

You obviously have the analytical skills. Before spending time on an MBA, I would network via LinkedIn with people in your area who are in management positions with real estate development or equity firms. I would also explore a CCIM certification which is quite rigorous but a lot cheaper than an MBA. Finally if you determine that an MBA is the way to go then only go to a top tier school with a concentration in RE, like Penn or MIT.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 am

You should not get an MBA because apparently having one is not even important enough to list following your name on your resume, business cards, etc., according to some authors. Seriously, there is actually a school of thought that MBA should not be listed because they are too generic and does not really state what it qualifies you to do, whereas certifications can be listed after your name because they show what you are qualified to do. Interestingly, if you have a doctorate, it is apparently okay to list that after your name supposedly because that is more unique. All of this came as a recent surprise to me when I researched what should be included following your name.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am

Like someone upthread mentioned, look at the resumes of people who are already in the position you want to be in. What is their educational and work background? What’s the most cost and time effective way to get where you want?

MBA, MRED, or similar might be what you need. I seriously doubt you need a “top 10” MBA to go into real estate. Those are more for people wanting to be I-bankers and such. My guess is you need a degree from a regional school that gives you the basics in finance that you’ll need to be successful, the local networking opportunities, and shows potential employers that you’re serious about the career path.

I would look into part time and executive programs. They’re meant for people already in the workforce, and you won’t need to pay the opportunity cost of not working for two years while you’re in school. The people you’re networking with in these programs already have jobs, which is a plus.