What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Nicolas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah (2016). I enjoyed this book! It’s the interesting account of the trials, tribulations, joys, and sorrows, of growing up as mixed-race under apartheid, and afterward under democracy with the repeal of apartheid, in South Africa. Being of mixed race his parents’ union was illegal, thus the title. I recommend this book.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Two books I highly recommend:

_The Confidence Game, by Maria Konnikova. One of the best I’ve read on the subject. Explains stages of the con (the put-up, the play, the rope, the tale, etc.) and why so many of us make it easy for cons: “the basic, irresistible, universal human need to believe in something that gives life meaning, something that reaffirms our view of ourselves, the world, and our place in it.” Includes an almost hilarious but ultimately sad example of investors continuing to invest with (if they can find them) cons after they disappear, even after they are caught, charged, jailed, and confess.

_Less Medicine, More Health: 7 Assumptions That Drive Too Much Medical Care, by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch. The “Assumptions” include: “All Risks Can Be Lowered,” “It’s Always Better to Fix The Problem,” and “Action is always Better Than Inaction.” The last one was a pleasant surprise when it referred to Jack Bogle’s famous quote: “Don’t just do something. Sit there.”
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 pm

The Living Great Lakes by Jerry Dennis.

The author tells of his life and travels on the Great Lakes, and includes stories from the history of the lakes. I enjoyed this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I just finished two new ones from a couple of my favorite authors.

Dark Sacred Night, by Michael Connelly, and Past Tense, by Lee Child.

Both are good.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I am currently reading "A Hard Rain" by Frye Gaillard. It is subtitled "America in the 1960s, Our Decade of Hope, Possibility, and Innocence Lost".

This is a series of 72 essays, or short examinations of issues which are in chronological order (beginning in 1960 and progressing thru the decade). It is a pretty heavy look at the decade. I am finding it very informative and educational.

Not surprisingly, the book evolves around key issues of the decade - civil rights, Viet Nam, Kennedys, Martin Luther King,LBJ (not Labron) womens rights, etc. But there are cultural glimpses, such as a chapter on two female singers - Janis Joplin and Linda Ronstadt or a chapter on Normal Rockwell. Typically a chapter will feature an issue or person, but then slide into an adjacent issue or person.

This is a very good book. The author leans to the left with a adoration of both John and Robert Kennedy and an obvious dislike of Ronald Reagan, but the book reads well and is informative. I grew up in the 60s, yet we didnt have nearly the communication or news network of today. Many of the names are familiar, but their stories and lives are that familiar to me. This books helps.

Ed

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:03 pm

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde.

Besides being a classic story, Wilde’s writing is amazing. His descriptions of the people are alive and vibrant. I can’t believe I waited so long to read this one.

hdas

Post by hdas » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Destined for War: can America and China escape Thucydides's Trap? by Graham T Allison

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:39 pm

The Odyssey, by Homer, Fagles translation.

I’ve been trying to read this book since the 6th grade, when the powers that be forced me into a Great Books reading group. The Great Books reading group ultimately failed, because my 6th grade self and 6th grade friends didn’t have the maturity to persist through what I now know was a pretty bad translation. Similarly, my adult self was never able to get more than about 50 pages through the book because I had neither the background knowledge or the reading ability to understand what I was reading.

The combination of the Fagles translation, in well written modern English, and the Kindle’s ability to look up names and words with a single click have made all the difference. It’s a classic adventure story.

dewey

Post by dewey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 pm

"Professor at Large" by John Cleese. A smart and witty work. Interesting storyline of how he was invited to teach at Cornell. Great read.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”