Gurgling noise from sink

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AAA

Gurgling noise from sink

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 am

In researching this, I've seen various explanations and remedies but am still not sure about my particular situation so I will outline it here and would appreciate any suggestions. Several seconds after emptying our upstairs bathroom sink, there is a slight gurgling noise and I can feel a slight vibration if I touch the P-trap.

This only appears to be happening at this one sink - no other plumbing fixture in the house is doing it, including the toilet and tub in the same bathroom as this sink. Also, if I fill the sink and then release the stopper, the water drains very quickly. While I could take out and inspect the P-trap - the limit of my plumbing abilities - this indicates to me that the P-trap is not clogged. On the other hand, if it's a clogged vent pipe, don't several fixtures share the same vent so that they would be affected also? Other things I read point to a clogged drain pipe but pouring anything down the drain to unclog it appears not to be recommended.

So what do you think is happening and is it something that needs urgent attention? If so, and unless there's a simple remedy that someone could recommend I guess I will call our plumber.

barnaclebob

Re: Gurgling noise from sink

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am

I think that means the stack isn't properly vented because the water that is going down the pipes is pulling more air after it. When the stack is vented it pulls that air from elsewhere. Its not really a problem unless too much water gets sucked out of the trap and you get odors coming back into the room.

Other fixtures may not have as much vertical fall for the water or it may drain in a way that allows the air in the pipe to move around the flowing water.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

I had something similar a few years ago. Check for hair and scum from the bowl to the p trap, clean. Then run a snake after the p trap as far as possible. When I did this everything was fine. Amazing the garbage that was restricting things.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am
I think that means the stack isn't properly vented because the water that is going down the pipes is pulling more air after it.
Thanks. To my knowledge this is a fairly recent issue in an older house, so by not properly vented I assume that means there's some clogging in the vent pipe and not a strucural issue in how the piping was installed. How is this addressed?

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

Duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by AAA on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

If wasps have built a home in the vent pipe, go on roof and snake it out.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:25 am

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am
I had something similar a few years ago. Check for hair and scum from the bowl to the p trap, clean. Then run a snake after the p trap as far as possible. When I did this everything was fine. Amazing the garbage that was restricting things.
I had an issue like that a few years ago, but the sink was draining very slowly. That's not happening now - the full bowl drains in a few seconds. Doesn't that indicate that the issue is not local to the sink or P-trap?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am
I think that means the stack isn't properly vented because the water that is going down the pipes is pulling more air after it.
Thanks. To my knowledge this is a fairly recent issue in an older house, so by not properly vented I assume that means there's some clogging in the vent pipe and not a strucural issue in how the piping was installed. How is this addressed?
You can go on the roof and run a snake down the vent. Or maybe you are lucky and there is a clean out somewhere in the house.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 am

I don't think this is really likely, but it could be double trapped. There's the p-trap immediately under the fixture, and if that drains into a stack or standpipe below that also has a p-trap (like in a basement floor), that can also cause gurgling. I think this would also cause slow draining, and like I said, I'm not sure this is real likely, but something to explore.

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 am
In researching this, I've seen various explanations and remedies but am still not sure about my particular situation so I will outline it here and would appreciate any suggestions. Several seconds after emptying our upstairs bathroom sink, there is a slight gurgling noise and I can feel a slight vibration if I touch the P-trap.

This only appears to be happening at this one sink - no other plumbing fixture in the house is doing it, including the toilet and tub in the same bathroom as this sink. Also, if I fill the sink and then release the stopper, the water drains very quickly. While I could take out and inspect the P-trap - the limit of my plumbing abilities - this indicates to me that the P-trap is not clogged. On the other hand, if it's a clogged vent pipe, don't several fixtures share the same vent so that they would be affected also? Other things I read point to a clogged drain pipe but pouring anything down the drain to unclog it appears not to be recommended.

So what do you think is happening and is it something that needs urgent attention? If so, and unless there's a simple remedy that someone could recommend I guess I will call our plumber.
if the water is going down slower and gurgling then you have a semi-blockage near the P-trap
if the water is going down normal and gurgling then you have a vent blockage semi or full. Some vents do share same piping but you are assuming that the blockage is after the multiple pipes are joined to the main one out of the roof. It could be blocked for the piping immediately before it joins the other vent piping from the toilet in the same room.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:14 pm

See if you have an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) under the sink. You'll recognize it right away since it branches off from the P trap, goes up a bit and stops. And has a funky top. The funky top is the AAV. It allows air into the sink pipe to allow venting. I've been told that eventually they can stick and/or go bad. Another thing you could do (even though you say it drains quickly) is to get one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U ... UTF8&psc=1), fill the sink and plunge it a bit. Maybe there's a slight blockage further down the line. I had a similar problem (although the drain was noticeably slow) with a few little gurgles after it emptied, and plunging helped. And I was bored last winter so I went ahead and proactively replaced all four AAV's in the house (kitchen sink, bathroom sinks).

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Yooper wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:14 pm
See if you have an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) under the sink...
There is no AAV there.
Yooper wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:14 pm
Another thing you could do (even though you say it drains quickly) is to get one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U ... UTF8&psc=1), fill the sink and plunge it a bit.
I can do that !

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I found a small sink plunger at our local home center and tried it but it didn't make any difference.

TLB

Post by TLB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 pm

You don’t have a condensation line from your HVAC unit draining into your waste. It would be a 7/8 rubber hose above the trap run into a y-branch tail piece.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 pm
I found a small sink plunger at our local home center and tried it but it didn't make any difference.
Be sure to seal the overflow drain in the sink when using a plunger. Otherwise, the air just goes out the overflow drain and there is no pressure. A wet rag can be used to seal the drain.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 pm

sport wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm
AAA wrote:
Be sure to seal the overflow drain in the sink when using a plunger. Otherwise, the air just goes out the overflow drain and there is no pressure. A wet rag can be used to seal the drain.
Sure, but what’s the point? AAA’s originally said that the sink drained rapidly. What would the plunger clear from the already open drain?

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 pm
sport wrote:
AAA wrote:
Sure, but what’s the point? AAA’s originally said that the sink drained rapidly. What would the plunger clear from the already open drain?
The menacing and tentacled B-movie creature lurking in the pipe that's the real cause of the problem. :wink:
Semper Augustus

luv737s

Post by luv737s » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Is your Evap/blower in the attic? Our HVAC drains into the master bath sink and when it gets clogged it gurgles.

Newtothis

Post by Newtothis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 pm

I had this issue after we replaced our AC unit. It took me a while to figure this out, the gurgling noise was coming because the AC installer put a cap on the condensate vent pipe in the attic. The air was getting trapped and making the gurgling noise under the sink.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 pm

neilpilot wrote:
sport wrote:
AAA wrote:
Perhaps the blockage is further down, and the pipe will take the sink full of water. If more water is put down the drain, it might back up into the sink. In any case, since the OP already has the plunger, it does not cost anything to try it.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:40 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:05 am

A hair clog will cause your symptom. Try the simple causes first.

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:58 am

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:40 am
A hair clog will cause your symptom. Try the simple causes first.
Where? If local to the sink, either leading to the P-trap or in the P-trap itself, wouldn't that cause the sink to empty slowly (an issue that I've had before)? That is not happening now. The sink empties rapidly.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 am

Try posting your question on a plumbing forum. This one has been helpful to us:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php

Atom

Post by Atom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 am

Use this, women shed a lot of hair...

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Drain-Sna ... aning+tool

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:08 am

sport wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 pm
neilpilot wrote:

Perhaps the blockage is further down, and the pipe will take the sink full of water. If more water is put down the drain, it might back up into the sink. In any case, since the OP already has the plunger, it does not cost anything to try it.
Have you read this thread? The OP didn’t have the plunger. It was apparently purchased based on advice in this thread that the OP should try using a plunger to clear a sink drain that way clearly already draining unrestricted.

AAA

Post by AAA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 am

TLB wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 pm
You don’t have a condensation line from your HVAC unit draining into your waste. It would be a 7/8 rubber hose above the trap run into a y-branch tail piece.
Newtothis wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 pm
I had this issue after we replaced our AC unit. It took me a while to figure this out, the gurgling noise was coming because the AC installer put a cap on the condensate vent pipe in the attic. The air was getting trapped and making the gurgling noise under the sink.
Our AC unit was installed about 10 years ago. The gurgling is fairly recent so I think if it was a issue of incorrect installation it would have shown up earlier.
sport wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 pm
I ran the water for a while and there was no back up into the sink so probably no blockage further down.
Atom wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 am
Use this, women shed a lot of hair...

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Drain-Sna ... aning+tool
I have one of those and it's the first thing I tried. It brought up some things but made no difference as far as the gurgling issue.
A440 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 am
Try posting your question on a plumbing forum. This one has been helpful to us:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php
Thanks for the suggestion.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:37 pm

In case anyone is still following this thread, here is an update. The issue is that a few seconds after the sink empties, there is a gurgling noise ("blip, blip, blip...").

o plumber snaked line - nothing changed

o someone went up on roof with a hose to flush the vent stack - no blockage there, suggesting an obstruction between the sink and the stack.

o I ran a strong flow of hot water down the sink drain for a few minutes - nothing changed.

o plumber re-snaked the sink line - nothing changed

Despite the gurgling noise, the sink drains quickly and there is no backup - a continuing mystery.

pfrank

Post by pfrank » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 pm

It could be the fixture is just too far away from the vent stack. You could add an air admittance valve after the trap. Simple to install if you are handy. Good luck.

AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 pm

pfrank wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 pm
It could be the fixture is just too far away from the vent stack. You could add an air admittance valve after the trap. Simple to install if you are handy. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions, but we've lived in the house many years and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed this noise a long time ago if it was a result of the configuration of the pipes and stack. Anyhow, the stack is just a few feet away.

I read about AAV's and that would be useful just to eliminate the gurgling noise, if it ever gets too annoying, although of course would not remediate the cause of the gurgling. I'll just try to get used to it and maybe at some point it will not be very noticeable.