Too many choices for my next TRUCK

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ad2007

Too many choices for my next TRUCK

Post by ad2007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Ok, so I thought I was done shopping for pick up truck. I narrowed it down to either a 2018 Nissan Titan (SV) or a 2019 Toyota Tundra (SR 5.7L). They were priced in the $30K range. I was going to decide this month and pick one up. Done!

But then I saw that the 2018 Ford F150 (2.7/3.5L Ecoboost) and F250 (6.2L gas) were deeply discounted.

Soo... Should I even go and test drive the Fords? I thought I was already decided on Nissan and Toyota trucks due to reliability. But then Ford sells a lot of trucks - maybe the quality will be acceptable. I intend to keep the truck until it dies. I only need the 1/2 ton, but the F250 gasser is a really good deal (Low $30K - cheaper than the 1/2 tons) and the bigger/longer bed would be nice.

What do you all think? Stick with Nissan or Toyota for reliability? What about the Ecoboost engines or the 6.2L Ford?

I'll put on no more than 8K mi per year. Miles per gal won't be that important. It's a truck, I'm not going crazy on the trims, trying to keep the purchase under mid $30K.

Thank you in advance.

AD

The Wizard

Re: Too many choices for my next TRUCK

Post by The Wizard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm

I've had a 2016 F-150 for almost three years now with no problems. I factory ordered it with my choice of options, a higher trim level Lariat model with 4x4, which I use a lot for logging.

I didn't test drive or research any other brands. I wanted aluminum after previous truck's bed rusted out ten years in...
Attempted new signature...

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I don't know how the ecoboost gimmick works with the Ford trucks, but I'd feel comfortable with the Ford over the Nissan for reliability. The Tundra probably has a leg up in this area, though.

JT

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Well if I had money,
I'd tell you what I'd do,
I go downtown buy a Ford Truck or two.
Crazy bout a Ford Truck,
Lord I'm crazy bout a Ford Truck,
I'm gonna buy me a Ford Truck & cruise it up & down the road.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm

The current Tundra is ancient--twelve years old to be exact. It also gets atrocious gas mileage. Toyota or not, I'd cross it off my list. The F150 was all-new a couple of years ago and is a great truck, the F250 all-new last year.

Also look at the 2018 Ram. Still one of the best in class (and the best-riding truck hands-down), but you should be able to get a fantastic deal because 2019 is a significant refresh.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm

If those are your 3 options, and you truly intend to keep it until it dies, Toyota is a no-brainer. Ford sells a lot of trucks to the builder/construction industries who wear them out and the vast majority never get to 10 years old.

Anecdotally, driving around notice how many 1st generation Tacomas you still see on the road

Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm surprised the 2018 F250 is less expensive than the F150. The F250 is quite a lot more truck than an F150. If you don't need the towing or payload of the F250, I'd go with the F150 2.7L EcoBoost. The F150 will provide better fuel economy and better ride & handling vs the F250.

My 2019 F150 SuperCrew 4x2 2.7L with e-locker rear axle (poor mans 4x4) is scheduled to be built in a few weeks. Can't wait to get it. :sharebeer

ad2007

Post by ad2007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm
The current Tundra is ancient--twelve years old to be exact. It also gets atrocious gas mileage. Toyota or not, I'd cross it off my list. The F150 was all-new a couple of years ago and is a great truck, the F250 all-new last year.

Also look at the 2018 Ram. Still one of the best in class (and the best-riding truck hands-down), but you should be able to get a fantastic deal because 2019 is a significant refresh.
I was OK with the Tundra being low tech, gas hog and dated. I would think after 12 yrs of production, Toyota would have all the kinks worked out by now and the Tundra should be the most reliable of the bunch. No?

Not sure about the Ram in terms of reliability, it's a Chrysler product after all.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm

ad2007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
I was OK with the Tundra being low tech, gas hog and dated. I would think after 12 yrs of production, Toyota would have all the kinks worked out by now and the Tundra should be the most reliable of the bunch. No?
It should be pretty solid, just significantly overpriced for what you get at this point due to the age. If you settle on the Tundra, I'd buy a 2010-2013 (or thereabouts, nothing particular to these model years) with a ton of miles for 20% of the price of a new one, because the experience won't be that much different.
ad2007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
Not sure about the Ram in terms of reliability, it's a Chrysler product after all.
Not disagreeing with you on the Chrysler thing (I swore off after a mind-bogglingly-bad Sebring that my wife brought into our marriage), and the 2019s are definitely having some teething problems. But the few people I know with the recent-but-not-current one have been quite satisfied thus far.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm
I don't know how the ecoboost gimmick works with the Ford trucks, but I'd feel comfortable with the Ford over the Nissan for reliability. The Tundra probably has a leg up in this area, though.

JT
The gimmick is anything but; it is a twin turbo.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Although I've sometimes suggested a heavier model truck for anyone who needs one, the comment on the bed size was unusual. Bed sizes of all the usual suspect sizes are available on 150/250/350 trucks. But that's a huge choice - bigger is definitely not always better. Combine four full doors and an eight foot bed and you have a very long truck.

UroGuyTn

Post by UroGuyTn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Was in same place a couple years ago. Personally Tundra would be the last I consider. Worst fuel economy and worst towing capacity.

Ford and GM reliability ratings have matched or exceeded Toyota since about 2008 according to most JD Power and Car&Driver reports. That is across the spectrum of vehicles though not specific to trucks.

I personally didn’t like the body style of Rams or interiors but that has changed some with the 2018s.

I am under the impression the Nissan Titan May go the way of the dodo due to poor sales.

I would get a 1-3 year old F150 or Silverado/Sierra Long before I would get a Tundra or Titan. Reliability seems to be the same and better fuel economy, towing, and features in the Ford/GM.

Only advantage I see to Tundra is a slight reduction in the rate of depreciation (resale) but that is much more appreciated in the Tacoma or 4Runner.

I have the 3.5L Ecoboost. 3 years old. Love it. No problems. Other than it is still truck fuel economy, even if it is 3-5 MPG better than my buddies’ Tundras

jimmac9

Post by jimmac9 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm

I just found and bought a 2017 Ram 1500. Brand Spanking new, with the 5.7L hemi, 4x4 quad cab and big horn package. I absolutely love the thing. out of all the trucks on the market, dollar for dollar you get more truck for the money with the ram. And with the 2019 models having a new body style you can get the 2018's for about 10k off, or search for a 2017 and get about 13 to 14k off.

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

ad2007 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Ok, so I thought I was done shopping for pick up truck. I narrowed it down to either a 2018 Nissan Titan (SV) or a 2019 Toyota Tundra (SR 5.7L). They were priced in the $30K range. I was going to decide this month and pick one up. Done!

But then I saw that the 2018 Ford F150 (2.7/3.5L Ecoboost) and F250 (6.2L gas) were deeply discounted.

Soo... Should I even go and test drive the Fords? I thought I was already decided on Nissan and Toyota trucks due to reliability. But then Ford sells a lot of trucks - maybe the quality will be acceptable. I intend to keep the truck until it dies. I only need the 1/2 ton, but the F250 gasser is a really good deal (Low $30K - cheaper than the 1/2 tons) and the bigger/longer bed would be nice.

What do you all think? Stick with Nissan or Toyota for reliability? What about the Ecoboost engines or the 6.2L Ford?

I'll put on no more than 8K mi per year. Miles per gal won't be that important. It's a truck, I'm not going crazy on the trims, trying to keep the purchase under mid $30K.

Thank you in advance.

AD
I am very familiar with 2018 F150s, and, to be honest I don't know enough about what you need to make an real reccomendation. Tell me, during the 10% hardest miles for your truck, what will you be asking it to do?

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

ad2007 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

AD
I don’t own a truck and don’t know a thing about what to look for in a truck so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Ford sells twice as many trucks as its next competitors. I know sales don’t translate to reliability but man the numbers difference is outrageous. Ford sells nearly 900,000 trucks a year in the US. Next closest competitors the silverado sells 585,000 and 3rd place dodge ram sells 500,000.

All three of the top sellers have owners who swear by those trucks reliability. I don’t know that you can go wrong with any of the top 3 brands in sales it seems. Having said that a toyota tacoma has a tremendous following for reliability.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ica-2018-3

edited for typos and mistake
Last edited by helloeveryone on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 pm

You may wish to read these internet articles:

http://blog.dilbert.com/2016/07/13/how- ... evy-truck/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confusopoly

They reflect my own experience as well, and I intend no slight towards Chevrolet or any other brand.

I suggest having a spreadsheet that compares your final choices, noting which features are non-negotiable, and being flexible in your final choice. Gut feel will probably work well until you walk into the purchase venue.
Last edited by tooluser on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness." -- Albert Einstein, just before he won the Nobel Prize.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

UroGuyTn wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm
Was in same place a couple years ago. Personally Tundra would be the last I consider. Worst fuel economy and worst towing capacity.

Ford and GM reliability ratings have matched or exceeded Toyota since about 2008 according to most JD Power and Car&Driver reports. That is across the spectrum of vehicles though not specific to trucks.

I personally didn’t like the body style of Rams or interiors but that has changed some with the 2018s.

I am under the impression the Nissan Titan May go the way of the dodo due to poor sales.

I would get a 1-3 year old F150 or Silverado/Sierra Long before I would get a Tundra or Titan. Reliability seems to be the same and better fuel economy, towing, and features in the Ford/GM.

Only advantage I see to Tundra is a slight reduction in the rate of depreciation (resale) but that is much more appreciated in the Tacoma or 4Runner.

I have the 3.5L Ecoboost. 3 years old. Love it. No problems. Other than it is still truck fuel economy, even if it is 3-5 MPG better than my buddies’ Tundras
Why 1-3 years old? Trucks seem to depreciate very little and with incentives new might not cost more.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Ford first. GM last. All the others in the middle. (And I grew up a GM fan)

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 pm

I have a 2017 GNC 4X4 SLE. I really am happy with it.
Check out this website for reliability: https://www.carcomplaints.com
Best Wishes, | Joe

UroGuyTn

Post by UroGuyTn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm
UroGuyTn wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Why 1-3 years old? Trucks seem to depreciate very little and with incentives new might not cost more.

Just in reference to Tundra and Titan price. When I was buying a new truck the Tundra was $5-10K less. I thought maybe he had a certain max budget in mind in the new Tundra/Titan price point.

I don’t remember the incentives being as good then as they are now either.

At least that’s what it was when I was looking.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Only experience I have with the current EcoBoost is my friend who went through 3 engines before Ford bought it back on lemon law.

The new Chevrolet's have shudder issues that were supposedly fixed. I'm still not confident in their displacement on demand engines. Lots of rear fender and frame rot on the pre-2014's makes me wonder how well the new gen will hold up long term.

I'd go with the Toyota.

Your best bet is to read consumer reviews on Edmunds and check forums for common problems. All vehicles have issues IMO, so pick the one that will cost you the least amount of money and time to remedy.

Also if you're in the rust belt look into oil spray undercoating.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 am

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Although I've sometimes suggested a heavier model truck for anyone who needs one, the comment on the bed size was unusual. Bed sizes of all the usual suspect sizes are available on 150/250/350 trucks. But that's a huge choice - bigger is definitely not always better. Combine four full doors and an eight foot bed and you have a very long truck.
Yep, I have a new crew cab long bed F-250 4x4, used for hauling a recently purchased used trailer... it is looong but does (just) fit into the garage (but I have to take off the stinger to do so :wink: ). I had gotten last years when they were replaced by this model year (same new styling) and with the 6.2 gas, as I really don’t see my needing to haul over 11000 wet so really don’t need the diesel. Tried to see if the F-350’s were available for about the same amount at the time but nope, none but the diesels in the F-350 were available and they cost too much premium (8-10 k more, so not worth it for my needs).

looked at the Chevy’s but they weren’t available at as low a price point (under $40 k for mine) for the required features...4x4, tow package, brake controller, backup camera, etc ... and most of the Chevy’s available were diesel (not as many gas) so the price was at least 10k higher. (Not about to touch a Ram ! )

OP
the real question is what are you gonna need it for?
heavy hauling? (8-12 k loads??). RV trailers? ( if so, get one more than just adequate... you don’t want to find yourself on 8-10% grades with a truck not made for the load. I’ve been on those hills with my setup with the trailer... the F-250 handled it no problem, I wouldn’t want to try it with just the older underpowered F-150 or some of the old Tundras, which were also underpowered ). Check the torque for the trucks and powertrain you are considering and determine the tongue weight of your load- - that will tell you the minimum requirements that you should have.
I will say that we made sure we got the crew cab... it really increases the flexibility...allows passengers or lots of space for more sheltered cargo with ease of access.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 am

Ford makes some "real" trucks meaning heavy duty models, but those don't make very nice daily drivers. The F-150 is really nice even as a daily driver. Don't buy more or less truck than you need. Since it's a large purchase and I'm picky, I might order one to get exactly my specifications. That's what I did when I bought my Mustang.

As for me, I get the itch to buy a truck now and then, but I don't really need one. From having owned trucks in the past I can tell you the maintenance costs more, and the best truck doesn't drive as well as the worst mid-sized car. So I go without and rent a truck for the occasions I need one. It's pretty easy and cheap to access a truck these days. But I do not frequently use a truck for anything a car cannot do.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am

We purchased a truck a little over one month ago. When I did some internet research, the Ford F150s were outside of our budget even with the deep sales pricing and rebates, so we crossed that off our list. I strongly believe that Ford makes a great truck!

That left us with three to look at--the Chevrolet Colorado, the GMC Canyon, and the Toyota Tacoma. I should add that we already own a 2005 Tacoma----very dependable. We looked at the Colorado and the Canyon, but my husband doesn't care for the shorter box pickups. The local Toyota dealer had one longer box Tacoma available; we test drove it and purchased. My husband likes all the newer features on it--more of the new technology. With the sales price and us trading in another very old pickup we have, it kept the price at the mid $30s. I think that Tundra you were looking at is probably priced in the $40s, but with a sales discount and if they are offering a cash rebate, might put it in the $30s. Also, they are huge trucks!! If you just take a look inside, it's as if the cab of a Tundra looks like a sedan space-wise. I would have no problem buying a Tundra either, it's just that it was out of range for what we were looking to spend.

We passed along our old Tacoma to our college-age son. :happy Believe it or not, we now own 5 Toyotas and are happy with all of them.

I think for this large of a purchase, you should go test drive a few of them, Tundra, F150, and Nissan, and see which one you like the best and what is affordable. Also, we made sure to purchase a 4x4 as it's what was needed for winter driving where we live. I have a feeling that any pickup truck that is selling in the low $30s is a 2-wheel drive, and you probably wouldn't be happy with that in the winter if you get snow and ice. Let us know what you decided upon!!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:09 am

MindBogler wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm
bottlecap wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

JT
The gimmick is anything but; it is a twin turbo.
Correct.
It has a bit of turbo lag when you punch it in a passing situation, but then it MOVES...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:13 am

If you're really using this as a truck and not just a passenger car where a Camry could do the job, I'd go with the F-250 for sure. You're talking real truck there, where the rest are more main stream cars to bring the little ones to the soccer field.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

...I am very familiar with 2018 F150s, and, to be honest I don't know enough about what you need to make an real reccomendation. Tell me, during the 10% hardest miles for your truck, what will you be asking it to do?
This is a fun question.
For me, with my F-150, it's when I get about 2500 lbs of 3/4" stone dumped in the bed, then drive down to the GF's place and use the extra traction to pull out boulders (up to 2000 lbs or so) on the logging road, before unloading the crushed stone by hand...

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am

This is coming from a person who has bought 90% Asian vehicles.

Skip the Nissan and Toyota and pick one from the Big 3. The domestic brands know that this is their bread and butter and can't afford to make a bad truck. All 3 are good so I would drive all 3 and see what you like and buy it.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 am

I had a great discount through our buying program and ended up with a 2014 dodge ram 1500.
My friend has a Ford raptor, but because we live in the rust belt. His is starting to rust.
He is hoping with the aluminum that ford is now using that it will keep it rust free so he put a deposit
down on a new raptor. IF you live in the rust belt it might be a good selling/resale point.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

My son recently bought a slighty used (5k miles) 2017 GMC Sierra 1500, SLE, ext cab, 8 cyl. He needs a work truck but prefers a little better appointment which the SLE provides. I helped him with research. Research and my son both say that Toyota and Tundra trucks are inferior as work trucks. I am a Toyota fan and love their reliability but apparently they are not as good for work trucks. My son got more than 400k miles out of his last GMC Sierra. I doubt the Tundra would have done as well considering what he had haul and do with his truck.

If you just prefer a truck and will do limited hauling, etc., your choices are probably fine. But if you need a work truck, I advise you to look at US manufacturers.

One caution with Ford F150 is that they use turbo charged engines to get additional power. That introduces another layer of complexity. A lot of truck guys are leery of that and prefer to just get the horsepower needed without turbo charging. My 2 cents worth.

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 am

I have an '18 RAM Express with the Hemi. Value wise it is hard to beat.

Also getting on the highway I smile, I am amazed at how far trucks have come power wise from the factory. I looked up the specs to get exact ratings and the '18 RAM Hemi has 395HP and 400 LB torque. I do not believe any other truck in class matches that. The chrome clad rims have alway been a nice dress up on these trucks as well.

Even if you are not a Dodge guy, find me a better value package for < or = 32k.
Last edited by Keepcalm on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am

For the 30th response I'll throw a tangent...

Honda Ridgeline.

I drove Ford F250's and F350's for 30 years at work. Was given the F350 Supercab I was driving when I retired. Occasionally the wife would have to drive the truck, usually when I was going to the city and took her Audi to avoid parking the behemoth. She did not like driving the truck.

Time came time to replace the truck. We researched and found out the Ridgeline is unibody vs. the typical body on frame truck. Went to the autoshow, checked them all out and liked the Ridgeline. Test drove one at a dealer and placed our order. Funny thing was the manager that handled our purchase was the salesman that sold us the Audi 3 years earlier!

Wife loves driving the Ridgeline and this August's annual 9 hour trips to and from the Outer Banks was the first I could stand upright after getting out of the truck! It's nice not feeling every road bump in my lower back.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am

ad2007 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

AD

While I would buy any quality brand that fit the need I would stay with Ford/Chevy/Dodge if you require a full sized pickup.
We have had F250's and F350's but I woudl never suggest you buy those unless you really need the towing and hauling capability.
There are many reasons you want to stay with a 1/2 ton unless you need the larger capacities.
Pricing - you can get all of the 3 brands less expesnive if you stay with singlke cabs and long beds - changing configurations can alter the price greatly so choose what you want wisely.
All of the brands Ford/Chevy/Dodge currently discount many of their full sized truck configuartions whether it is adverstised or not is another story but you can get discounts on them all at the dealers.
In the past 10 years we have had all of brands Ford/Chevy/Dodge and for much of that time we had more than one brand at a time.
With the lack of a real 'requirement' for this truck in your description I could not recommend one make over the other.
FWIW - we have a 2016 Chevy 1500 crew now that has been really good to us, similar to the past 2013 and 2008 Chevy 1500's we owned.
Also had no probems at all with our 2014 Ford F150.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 am

user5027 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am
For the 30th response I'll throw a tangent...

Honda Ridgeline.

I drove Ford F250's and F350's for 30 years at work. Was given the F350 Supercab I was driving when I retired. Occasionally the wife would have to drive the truck, usually when I was going to the city and took her Audi to avoid parking the behemoth. She did not like driving the truck.

Time came time to replace the truck. We researched and found out the Ridgeline is unibody vs. the typical body on frame truck. Went to the autoshow, checked them all out and liked the Ridgeline. Test drove one at a dealer and placed our order. Funny thing was the manager that handled our purchase was the salesman that sold us the Audi 3 years earlier!

Wife loves driving the Ridgeline and this August's annual 9 hour trips to and from the Outer Banks was the first I could stand upright after getting out of the truck! It's nice not feeling every road bump in my lower back.
We had both of those Ford trucks ourselves - they ride much harder than their 1/2 ton counterparts. I see you are below the typical snow line so snow related weather would not affect your Honda choice.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:17 am

ad2007 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

AD
Why do you need a truck? Will you be working it hard and need an HD or will a 1/2 ton be ok? I have a 2015 GMC 2500 truck and it has been perfectly reliable and a very nice truck. It is in work truck basic trim but has all the options I need. But it is big and the size difference, especially for parking is significant compared to a 1/2 ton. So I would not make the choice litely.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 am

Do the F-250, but don't sit on your hands over analyzing. This is the "blow them out the doors with discounts" time for truck dealers. Choice is going to go away because everyone knows that US makers do this every single year.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 am

I would not buy the F-250 unless you specifically need its capabilities. As mentioned, it will ride much harder than the F-150 when unloaded which is likely to be most of the time from what you describe.

If I were buying a truck for regular, heavy duty hauling I might look at Ford and Chevy over Toyota, but if it's more of a car with occasional normal truck duty, I'd take the Toyota all day every day. After decades of driving work trucks, a mix of all 3 brands, the Toyotas are the most comfortable to drive every time. Better ride. Better seats. Better ergonomics. And better reliability (with a company that generally stands behind their products even when they screw up - see how they handled the rusting frame issue).

Overall, Toyota gets a lot of the details right more often than the American brands. Simple example that says it all to me - on one of our Silverados, the exterior mirrors were designed in such a way that they hold water on the glass any time it rains even a moderate amount. The mirrors become completely useless. How this ever passed QA I can't even fathom, and it's that kind of lack of attention to detail that is pervasive.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am

jimmac9 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm
I just found and bought a 2017 Ram 1500. Brand Spanking new, with the 5.7L hemi, 4x4 quad cab and big horn package. I absolutely love the thing. out of all the trucks on the market, dollar for dollar you get more truck for the money with the ram. And with the 2019 models having a new body style you can get the 2018's for about 10k off, or search for a 2017 and get about 13 to 14k off.
I bought a six month old used 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 6,000 miles on it. Got a good deal, and I love this truck. It rides better than my car and is fun to drive. Doesn't get such great gas mileage, but I don't drive it a whole lot so I don't care. I also recommend the Ram.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am
One caution with Ford F150 is that they use turbo charged engines to get additional power. That introduces another layer of complexity. A lot of truck guys are leery of that and prefer to just get the horsepower needed without turbo charging. My 2 cents worth.
Though I don't agree with the sentiment--and I think the EcoBoost has proven exceptionally reliable thus far--I certainly understand where it comes from. If this is a concern though, remember that the F150 is still available with the wonderful Coyote 5.0 V8. I would choose it over the GM 5.3 all day long, though the LS3 6.2L available in the top trims is better still.

Also note that the GM trucks are now available with a turbocharged four-cylinder, so it's not just Ford. All 3 now offer a turbodiesel option for lots of torque combined with great fuel economy.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:54 am

F150 with 2.7 ecoboost.

Port injection in addition to direct injection is the main reason (the DI only engines get carbon buildup on the intake valves)

GM a close second. Love the small block V8, but wish it had port injection in addition to DI.

Then ram.

Don't buy a toyota or nissan, they are archaic compared to ford and gm when it comes to the engineering and development they put into their trucks.

LBTRS

Post by LBTRS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm a Ford guy and drive a 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew. However, if I was going to replace it I would be doing so with the new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. That is a nice truck.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm

LBTRS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm
I'm a Ford guy and drive a 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew. However, if I was going to replace it I would be doing so with the new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. That is a nice truck.
Are you in a southern state, by any chance? I ask because although I have no interest in buying a truck, I do observe them. Here in New England, Rams rust to nothing in only a few years. I've continued to wonder how Dodge still doesn't know how to properly prevent rust on their trucks when the rest of the world has it figured out.

For that reason alone, I'd never consider a Ram, no matter how nice it is.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm
LBTRS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm
Are you in a southern state, by any chance? I ask because although I have no interest in buying a truck, I do observe them. Here in New England, Rams rust to nothing in only a few years. I've continued to wonder how Dodge still doesn't know how to properly prevent rust on their trucks when the rest of the world has it figured out.

For that reason alone, I'd never consider a Ram, no matter how nice it is.
Not sure why our experiences differ but I have run 2 Rams (1500's) on LI New York for 10 seasons combined (5 on each) with no noticeable problems.
Both crew cab 4 wd which were used to tow and haul at times. Always out in the winter snows and salt with one of them doing towing service launching and retrieving a boat in salt water maybe 20 times in and 20 out each season.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:15 pm

OnTrack2020 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am
Also, we made sure to purchase a 4x4 as it's what was needed for winter driving where we live. I have a feeling that any pickup truck that is selling in the low $30s is a 2-wheel drive, and you probably wouldn't be happy with that in the winter if you get snow and ice. Let us know what you decided upon!!
I owned two Tacomas in the snow belt that were both rear wheel drive. All I did was buy snow tires. No issues.

IMhooked

Post by IMhooked » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Just went through this past year researching the same to the point of driving my wife nuts!

After my due diligence and having 2 brothers with F-150's, a brother-in-law with his 3rd GMC, and after driving a Tahoe myself for the last 11 years I went with the 2017 Toyota Tundra 4wd with 21,000 miles and snagged it for $29,750 (I have 3 dealerships that probably never want to see me again :). Always be willing to walk away especially now that 2019's are out and it's Q4. Spent another $700 on rust proofing it (I live in WI). It was a Pensacola, FL truck and already came with tow mirrors, bedliner, Westin side steps, and lift/level. Paid cash and plan to drive it the next 11 years and pass it to my 7 yr old. I'm a fishing guide so routinely tow a fiberglass boat and 16' enclosed trailer depending on time of the year.

Haven't second guessed my decision after owning it for 2 months now. Glad I went slightly used versus new. Even though I could've the biggest piece of mind is knowing I can invest the difference and feel good about that as well.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know your decision and rationale!

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

dsmclone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am
This is coming from a person who has bought 90% Asian vehicles.

Skip the Nissan and Toyota and pick one from the Big 3. The domestic brands know that this is their bread and butter and can't afford to make a bad truck. All 3 are good so I would drive all 3 and see what you like and buy it.
This. The domestic 3 have invested in trucks the way Honda/Toyota invest in the Camry/Corolla and Accord/Civic, in fact often at the expense of their car line which is why they lagged the Asian makes for so many years. These trucks also see a lot of harsh duty usage in fleets so they have to be built fairly stout.

The Titan and Tundra are both quite aged at this point, and the V8 models get notably worse gas mileage than the domestic counterparts.

Be aware also that virtually no one pays sticker for a domestic truck, its accepted you're going to get 5-10k less. They sell so many that there's a lot of wiggle room. Also GM right now has some crazy incentives ($10K+) on '18 model year trucks. https://www.chevrolet.com/current-deals ... erado-1500&

ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:44 pm

From what I have been told by friends that have them, you cannot go wrong with either the Toyota, Nissan, Ford, or GM. The Dodge- I have 3 friends that have them- all have problems. One guy will tell you its the greatest truck he ever owned and that its the greatest ever made, but his brother told me that he fails to tell everyone that it spends more time getting fixed than it is on the road. He has had to loan his 2014 Ford to his brother on a number of occasions while the Dodge is being fixed. Both other friends traded their Dodges on Fords. I own a Toyota and Nissan car and both are trouble free so I have no horse in this race. The domestics do sell a lot and mostly hold their value.

Just my 2 cents

Bob

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:54 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:54 am
F150 with 2.7 ecoboost.

Port injection in addition to direct injection is the main reason (the DI only engines get carbon buildup on the intake valves)

GM a close second. Love the small block V8, but wish it had port injection in addition to DI.

Then ram.

Don't buy a toyota or nissan, they are archaic compared to ford and gm when it comes to the engineering and development they put into their trucks.
Ford 3.5s also have port injection / DI dual systems. It was added in the 2017 model year.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am
I would say it is fear of the unknown more than anything else. Big semi-trucks and even airplanes use turbochargers and have for decades. And I should point out there is also the added side-effect that forced induction engines have consistent power output at various altitudes. The big block V8 that was spec'd out at sea level HP/TQ rating fell on its face at 8500' because the air is less dense, whereas forced induction just pumps more air to achieve the same pressure in the intake.

capjak

Post by capjak » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:14 pm

The New 2019 Ram 1500 with the big glass screen informat looks Awesome and the interior is again Awesome.....

That would be my choice 2019 NOT 2018 with the larger screen 11.5 inch I believe reminds me of the Tesla....