Spouse Diagnosed Non-curable Cancer -- what now?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nuvoletta

Re: Spouse Diagnosed Non-curable Cancer -- what now?

Post by Nuvoletta » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 pm

TRC wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm
So sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure your heads are spinning, but I'd encourage you to check out https://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/
Thanks!

Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:29 pm
Very sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.
May the force be with you as you fight this unfortunate illness.

If you kids are older and mature, perhaps it makes sense to tell them sooner or later.
If you tell them with 6 months left, and your husband has very little quality time left with them, they will be resentful.
Thank you! I concur and definitely don't see myself supporting waiting that long. Lots of good advice here in this thread to avoid that outcome. I truly appreciate all the input.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Nuvoletta;

I'm hoping that you've had time to digest lots of information and will come back, at least periodically and let us know how things are going. Take care of YOU and know that we are here with you on this journey!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

allna

Post by allna » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 pm

To echo what others have said: I have a parent (late 60s) who was diagnosed with WM almost 20 years ago, has now responded to treatment three times and still has a reasonably good prognosis.

Hopefully it doesn't stray too much into medical advice to say two things about insurance/Medicare:

1) The trend is toward daily oral medication rather traditional chemo infusions. That's of course wonderful in terms of quality of life, but can be incredibly expensive - one of the newer drugs typically costs $148,000 yearly. So the details of your drug benefit matter a lot, at least until 2020 when the Medicare donut hole is supposed to be phase out.

2) Be careful about enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan. As compared to traditional Medicare, MA plans typically have narrower networks of providers to choose from - and once you're in an MA plan you typically can't go change to traditional Medicare. Obviously an issue when you have a rare disease and want care from an experienced provider, the opportunity to pursue a second opinion, etc.

jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Gotta tell the kids as soon as you can. Imagine how upset or resentful they may be the rest of their lives not knowing they could have spent a LOT more time with him, but didn’t know until 6 month before hand. That’s time to make a lot more memories.