Moving to NYC without a job

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
sizzlinkola
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am

Moving to NYC without a job

Post by sizzlinkola » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:30 am

I have 6-12 months of living expenses (depends on my spending) and will be living with my SO in NYC. I've been looking for 7 months and applying online hasn't worked despite all the resume critiques I've gotten from PM hiring managers.

I have a non-tech background trying to break into a health tech startup in PM. I feel that my resume isn't competitive enough against tech and formal PM candidates. On top of that, I feel there is more supply than demand for PMs. I have 5 years of experience in engineering/PM in the life sciences industry which I believe is relevant for a health tech role and makes me qualified.

Moving to NYC will allow me to build my network and find a job through connections. I've only gotten one job applying online, the rest I leveraged my network. I'm building my NYC network remotely through e-mails and phone calls. I believe the next step is to relocate, meet these people in-person and attend tech events to meet more people to get my name/resume out there.

I'd love to hear that this is a dumb idea. Yet, I don't foresee anything else I could do to get a job at this point other than waiting for more job postings. I'm open to suggestions. My job isn't aligned with my values and would rather spend the 40 hr/wk dedicating to finding a job I love as well as being with my SO.

setancre
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by setancre » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 am

Assuming you mean "product manager" rather than "project manager", I would say you have a much better chance of making this type of career transition after moving to NYC rather than beforehand, and yes, networking will be critical.

That being said, without a tech background, your plan is a very, very low probability venture. Kind of like sayIng I am planning to go to Harvard Law school or I am planning to get a Masters degree in computer science at MIT. You may make your best effort, but it still might not be possible. I would think about what intermediary steps you can take that would make you a better candidate for that role. You are trying to go from A -> D and skipping over B/C. Sure, it might happen, but what B and C jobs and/or school might make your end goal more reasonable?

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7970
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 am

Start in the mail room. Work your way up.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Balefire
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Balefire » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:56 am

Easier to get a new job if you have a job.
And I don't mean working for Uber or Starbucks.

quantAndHold
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am

What I found when trying to go into a job as a techie in the healthcare industry without having experience in that industry is that understanding the regulatory environment is a significant part of that industry. It makes it a hard industry to get into from the outside. So you’re both trying to get a job from out of town, and trying to get into an industry with a high barrier to entry.

If it were me, I would look at PM jobs in every field, then once I had my feet on the ground, if I still wanted to get into healthcare, start trying to make the move. Also oook into whether or not a local college or extended studies program has a professional certificate program in that field. That might help with both understanding the industry and networking.

alfaspider
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by alfaspider » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am

I'd caution against this. Getting an apartment in NYC is expensive. It is typical for landlords to demand first month's, last month's rent, one month's rent deposit, AND a broker commission. An (relatively cheap) apartment that costs $2,000 a month can cost $8,000 to move into, and that's not including moving expenses. You may also have trouble finding an apartment if you don't already have a job lined up- some landlords require proof of current employment before they will rent to you (and typically require 50x monthly rent salary to avoid a co-signer, and 80x monthly rent to be one). If you have a reasonable chance of finding an employer who will pay relocation, you may get things like broker fees paid for (my employer did).

On top of this, if you don't have a lot of experience in NYC, I'd advise a longer visit there where you get to know the city (not a tourist trip where you visit the statue of liberty and go to a few Broadway shows). Living there is not for everyone. Personally, I'm glad I had the experience of living there for a few years, but I can't imagine moving back. There are a lot of opportunities there, but it's a much more difficult existence in a lot of ways compared to the majority of the country. NYC is FILLED with struggling people trying to network their way into jobs- plenty leave much poorer without having gotten the job they seek.

Good Listener
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Good Listener » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I dont like it. You will be dependent on the significant other until you get a job. And relationships do end and do you want this dependency regardless?

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Moving to one of the highest cost of living places in the US with no job makes no sense at all. Be prepared to end up seriously broke and moving back where you originated from with your tail between your legs. Find and get the job you want first in a place you can afford, then work a few years to gain the experience, contacts and cred in that industry. Then you can try to make a move to your desired area to live. Just like there are no reliable get rich quick schemes, there are no reliable get a great career quick in an ideal place schemes. Real lasting success in career and life almost always takes both hard work and patience. Absolutely nothing wrong with having high or difficult to achieve goals but without a realistic workable plan high end goals are just a pipe-dream.

sizzlinkola
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by sizzlinkola » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 pm

setancre wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 am
Assuming you mean "product manager" rather than "project manager", I would say you have a much better chance of making this type of career transition after moving to NYC rather than beforehand, and yes, networking will be critical.

That being said, without a tech background, your plan is a very, very low probability venture. Kind of like sayIng I am planning to go to Harvard Law school or I am planning to get a Masters degree in computer science at MIT. You may make your best effort, but it still might not be possible. I would think about what intermediary steps you can take that would make you a better candidate for that role. You are trying to go from A -> D and skipping over B/C. Sure, it might happen, but what B and C jobs and/or school might make your end goal more reasonable?
I disagree about the probability. I believe my probability would increase if I'm there networking. Yes, I'm not the most ideal candidate but the feedback I got from PM hiring managers is that I don't need intermediary steps. I have PM experience, just not in tech and not as many years or fully developed as other candidates. To your A -> D example, I'm already at C. If I take up other intermediary steps, I'm already at diminishing returns.
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 am
Start in the mail room. Work your way up.
I'm way past the mail room.
Balefire wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:56 am
Easier to get a new job if you have a job.
And I don't mean working for Uber or Starbucks.
Yes, if it's in the same location.
quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am
What I found when trying to go into a job as a techie in the healthcare industry without having experience in that industry is that understanding the regulatory environment is a significant part of that industry. It makes it a hard industry to get into from the outside. So you’re both trying to get a job from out of town, and trying to get into an industry with a high barrier to entry.

If it were me, I would look at PM jobs in every field, then once I had my feet on the ground, if I still wanted to get into healthcare, start trying to make the move. Also oook into whether or not a local college or extended studies program has a professional certificate program in that field. That might help with both understanding the industry and networking.
I work in the medical device industry, which is in the healthcare industry, so I know all about the regulatory environment. I've asked other PMs on the certifications and they don't really help unless you have absolutely no experience. In my case, I do which a certificate won't provide much.
alfaspider wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am
I'd caution against this. Getting an apartment in NYC is expensive. It is typical for landlords to demand first month's, last month's rent, one month's rent deposit, AND a broker commission. An (relatively cheap) apartment that costs $2,000 a month can cost $8,000 to move into, and that's not including moving expenses. You may also have trouble finding an apartment if you don't already have a job lined up- some landlords require proof of current employment before they will rent to you (and typically require 50x monthly rent salary to avoid a co-signer, and 80x monthly rent to be one). If you have a reasonable chance of finding an employer who will pay relocation, you may get things like broker fees paid for (my employer did).

On top of this, if you don't have a lot of experience in NYC, I'd advise a longer visit there where you get to know the city (not a tourist trip where you visit the statue of liberty and go to a few Broadway shows). Living there is not for everyone. Personally, I'm glad I had the experience of living there for a few years, but I can't imagine moving back. There are a lot of opportunities there, but it's a much more difficult existence in a lot of ways compared to the majority of the country. NYC is FILLED with struggling people trying to network their way into jobs- plenty leave much poorer without having gotten the job they seek.


You raise very good points about renting an apartment. Luckily, my SO shares an apartment with roommates so I may not have worry about all of that if they agree to let me stay until I get a job. At which, my SO and I will get our own apartment.

NYC is definitely not for everyone. My SO has been there for 2+ years now and I go once a month since. I personally love the city but can't imagine myself staying there long-term.
Good Listener wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:08 pm
I dont like it. You will be dependent on the significant other until you get a job. And relationships do end and do you want this dependency regardless?
I won't be. I have 6-12 months of liquid expenses. The only dependence would be living situation but worst case, I have close friends in town as well to couchsurf. It's not ideal but you gotta do what you gotta do.
jabberwockOG wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm
Moving to one of the highest cost of living places in the US with no job makes no sense at all. Be prepared to end up seriously broke and moving back where you originated from with your tail between your legs. Find and get the job you want first then work a few years to gain the experience, contacts and cred in that industry. Then you can try to make a move to your desired area to live. Just like there are no reliable get rich quick schemes, there are no reliable get a great career quick in an ideal place schemes. Real lasting success in career and life almost always takes both hard work and patience.
If you can mitigate the financial and career risks and if you are willing to take said risks, then the move makes sense. I don't think my case is analogous to a get rick quick scheme. I have the PM experience but I lack the tech industry contacts and cred. I need to get my foot in the door and that can only happen if I build a network, which is difficult to do remotely. I see my situation as the college student who has all this internship experience and now he's trying to get a real job out-of-school. Except my experience isn't internship-level.

Nonetheless, I agree with your last point of real lasting success. I just don't think my situation is a get rick quick scheme.

MisterMister
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by MisterMister » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 am

My guess is you will be forced to take employment other than that which you seek.

Online applications/resumes are pretty much how things are done these days so if you're having trouble with that where you are you'll have trouble where you're going. Keep in mind the job market in general is better than it's been in a very long time so this should work in your favor but there's no guarantee how much longer that will last.

Networking may work best but don't underestimate how difficult that will be or how much time that would take to do in a new environment where you don't know anyone, maybe especially NYC. I'd imagine startups don't favor NYC that much, the burn rate to set up shop there has to be astronomical.

On the plus side you have marketable skills but you'll probably need to be more open to the kinds of jobs you're willing to consider.

allones
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by allones » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am

I moved to NYC from Seattle last year. I thankfully I had job in Seattle that allowed me to work remotely. Don't move here without a job. Without a job you cannot rent an apartment unless you're planning on some sort of sublet/couchsurfing situation via Craigslist. I'm sure you've done your research and know that there is a 40x income requirement relative to your monthly rent (rent = annual gross income/40). The place we wanted to rent was $100 over and I had to show major cash reserves to get the building to rent to us. Without a job you might be able to convince a non-corporate landlord to prepay 6-months of rent, but they are few and far between and I wouldn't count on it.

Regarding job hunting, I'm looking for new work here as well (analyst, tech industry) and have found it very difficult to get responses compared to my past search. I've had some success, but nothing that's panned out. My partner had the same experience in her line of work (public librarian). There are a lot of people here competing for jobs. A real shocker is that salaries here for both of us are about 20% less than they were in Seattle. I've had some kind recruiters let me know that my previous salary that I requested when applying eliminated me from the candidate pool.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by leeks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am

allones wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am
Don't move here without a job. Without a job you cannot rent an apartment unless you're planning on some sort of sublet/couchsurfing situation via Craigslist.
OP will be coming to live with a partner. So I would assume initial housing is covered, and that certainly makes moving without a job possible (although it will obviously be better for your relationship if you can contribute your half of living expenses from the start).

My husband (then-boyfriend) and I moved to NYC over a decade ago with no jobs and just a few thousand in savings to set up an apartment. It worked fine. I signed up with several temp agencies and was able to get some income within a few weeks while I searched for something longer term. He found a great position within two months. We had to be extra frugal in the beginning, and cook bare-bones meals at home for the first month, but it was our first time living together and it was actually a very fun time in our relationship.

You will be fine as long as you are able to accept any kind of work temporarily while you keep searching for a good long-term position.

Jelloanddon
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Jelloanddon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am

You’re hoping your SO’s roommates won’t mind you staying there until you get a job?? What if it takes a few months? Unless it’s a huge penthouse and everyone has their own bathroom, there’s no way I would be happy to divide up my bathroom time with another person, especially of the opposite sex. There’s a huge difference between staying a weekend once a month and living there for a couple of months.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by leeks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am
You’re hoping your SO’s roommates won’t mind you staying there until you get a job?? What if it takes a few months? Unless it’s a huge penthouse and everyone has their own bathroom, there’s no way I would be happy to divide up my bathroom time with another person, especially of the opposite sex. There’s a huge difference between staying a weekend once a month and living there for a couple of months.
In these kinds of situations, there is often a rent adjustment (and maybe a defined timeline - ie no more than three months) that allows everyone to be happy. The couple might need to pay a bit more than the the SO was paying alone. It can be negotiated and it is quite common in NYC for couples to live with roommates (other couple(s) or single(s)).
Last edited by leeks on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57
Posts: 4655
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am

Creds do matter to many companies. The last company I worked for would not hire without creds.

Jelloanddon
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Jelloanddon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 pm

leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am
Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am
You’re hoping your SO’s roommates won’t mind you staying there until you get a job?? What if it takes a few months? Unless it’s a huge penthouse and everyone has their own bathroom, there’s no way I would be happy to divide up my bathroom time with another person, especially of the opposite sex. There’s a huge difference between staying a weekend once a month and living there for a couple of months.
In these kinds of situations, there is often a rent adjustment (and maybe a defined timeline - ie no more than three months) that allows everyone to be happy. The couple might need to pay a bit more than the the SO was paying alone. It can be negotiated and it is quite common in NYC for couples to live with roommates (other couple(s) or single(s)).
True, but if I originally roomed with just 2 roommates and got sprung with another one I would not care if there was a rent adjustment. I signed up for certain number of roommates; in my case, money wouldn’t be an issue; the reduced amount of privacy, bathroom time and common space would be.

LawyersGunsAndMoney
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm

As a NYC resident (transplant) for the past 11 years the advice that I give people is not to move here unless you have ample savings and at least 1 of the following 3 things:

1. A job lined up
2. A below-market deal on an apartment lined up
3. A really strong network of friends and family in NYC

Dottie57
Posts: 4655
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 pm
leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am
Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am
You’re hoping your SO’s roommates won’t mind you staying there until you get a job?? What if it takes a few months? Unless it’s a huge penthouse and everyone has their own bathroom, there’s no way I would be happy to divide up my bathroom time with another person, especially of the opposite sex. There’s a huge difference between staying a weekend once a month and living there for a couple of months.
In these kinds of situations, there is often a rent adjustment (and maybe a defined timeline - ie no more than three months) that allows everyone to be happy. The couple might need to pay a bit more than the the SO was paying alone. It can be negotiated and it is quite common in NYC for couples to live with roommates (other couple(s) or single(s)).
True, but if I originally roomed with just 2 roommates and got sprung with another one I would not care if there was a rent adjustment. I signed up for certain number of roommates; in my case, money wouldn’t be an issue; the reduced amount of privacy, bathroom time and common space would be.
+1

sizzlinkola
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by sizzlinkola » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm
Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 pm
leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am
Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am
You’re hoping your SO’s roommates won’t mind you staying there until you get a job?? What if it takes a few months? Unless it’s a huge penthouse and everyone has their own bathroom, there’s no way I would be happy to divide up my bathroom time with another person, especially of the opposite sex. There’s a huge difference between staying a weekend once a month and living there for a couple of months.
In these kinds of situations, there is often a rent adjustment (and maybe a defined timeline - ie no more than three months) that allows everyone to be happy. The couple might need to pay a bit more than the the SO was paying alone. It can be negotiated and it is quite common in NYC for couples to live with roommates (other couple(s) or single(s)).
True, but if I originally roomed with just 2 roommates and got sprung with another one I would not care if there was a rent adjustment. I signed up for certain number of roommates; in my case, money wouldn’t be an issue; the reduced amount of privacy, bathroom time and common space would be.
+1
Those are all good points. Luckily, my SO's roommates are good friends with her and myself so that'll help. Still though out of respect, I would give them an expected timeline. And you are right, some people don't care about the rent adjustment and care about the space the other person will take up.

sizzlinkola
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by sizzlinkola » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm
As a NYC resident (transplant) for the past 11 years the advice that I give people is not to move here unless you have ample savings and at least 1 of the following 3 things:

1. A job lined up
2. A below-market deal on an apartment lined up
3. A really strong network of friends and family in NYC
Good criteria. I fit #2 loosely since I'd be living with my SO and her roommates.
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am
Creds do matter to many companies. The last company I worked for would not hire without creds.
leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am

Not in my experience. To be honest, I found that a PM cred doesn't really help unless you have no experience or it was your stepping stone into PM.
allones wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am
Don't move here without a job. Without a job you cannot rent an apartment unless you're planning on some sort of sublet/couchsurfing situation via Craigslist.
OP will be coming to live with a partner. So I would assume initial housing is covered, and that certainly makes moving without a job possible (although it will obviously be better for your relationship if you can contribute your half of living expenses from the start).

My husband (then-boyfriend) and I moved to NYC over a decade ago with no jobs and just a few thousand in savings to set up an apartment. It worked fine. I signed up with several temp agencies and was able to get some income within a few weeks while I searched for something longer term. He found a great position within two months. We had to be extra frugal in the beginning, and cook bare-bones meals at home for the first month, but it was our first time living together and it was actually a very fun time in our relationship.

You will be fine as long as you are able to accept any kind of work temporarily while you keep searching for a good long-term position.
Good to hear a success story, but I'm sure a decade ago was very different then. And of course, we're splitting the expenses.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by leeks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am

sizzlinkola wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 pm
LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:09 pm
As a NYC resident (transplant) for the past 11 years the advice that I give people is not to move here unless you have ample savings and at least 1 of the following 3 things:

1. A job lined up
2. A below-market deal on an apartment lined up
3. A really strong network of friends and family in NYC
Good criteria. I fit #2 loosely since I'd be living with my SO and her roommates.
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am
Creds do matter to many companies. The last company I worked for would not hire without creds.
leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am

Not in my experience. To be honest, I found that a PM cred doesn't really help unless you have no experience or it was your stepping stone into PM.
allones wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am
Don't move here without a job. Without a job you cannot rent an apartment unless you're planning on some sort of sublet/couchsurfing situation via Craigslist.
OP will be coming to live with a partner. So I would assume initial housing is covered, and that certainly makes moving without a job possible (although it will obviously be better for your relationship if you can contribute your half of living expenses from the start).

My husband (then-boyfriend) and I moved to NYC over a decade ago with no jobs and just a few thousand in savings to set up an apartment. It worked fine. I signed up with several temp agencies and was able to get some income within a few weeks while I searched for something longer term. He found a great position within two months. We had to be extra frugal in the beginning, and cook bare-bones meals at home for the first month, but it was our first time living together and it was actually a very fun time in our relationship.

You will be fine as long as you are able to accept any kind of work temporarily while you keep searching for a good long-term position.
Good to hear a success story, but I'm sure a decade ago was very different then. And of course, we're splitting the expenses.
Rent in NYC was already really expensive a decade ago and there were lots of jobs of all kinds. Some individual neighborhoods have changed a lot. But overall, the city is not "very different."

maroon
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by maroon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi OP - I have a non-tech background and worked as a product manger for a tech company. I was hired in a sales capacity, then promoted to product manager a year or two later. My suggestion is to broaden your job search to include a wider variety of positions in your desired industry. I don't know that I'd move to NYC without a job or job prospects.

blevine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: New York

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 pm

[quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

I have lived in or worked in NYC most of my life.
It was a terribly dirty, crime ridden place decades ago.
But that has not been the case for many years.
It has become a super expensive place to live, so expensive that it is driving many companies and individuals to leave. But other companies like Google and Amazon are already or considering expanding in NYC due to the incredible draw it is for highly educated people. NY is the only state with 2 Ivy League schools, has some of the best deals in public higher ed, and a nonstop influx of immigrants.

That said, I would not relocate to find a job anywhere.
Interviews by phone/skype etc will suffice for 1st interviews. Come to NYC when/if something pans out. I find that fixing yourself to a specific city is not good for most careers today, unless you will be a retail lawyer/doctor and need to develop a client base locally. Most other professional jobs, you need to be more mobile/flexible.

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 pm

I've lived in NYC since 1971. There is no place like it in the world.

Come, experience it and see if you can hack it. If you don't try it, you'll always regret not having done it.

My opinion only of course. I grew up in the suburbs. Got taken into "The City" once a year and simply couldn't fathom why anyone wouldn't rather live there, rather than the leafy, boring "paradise" that was Westchester.

Not for everyone, to be sure. But give it a shot, man.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48632
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 pm

I removed several off-topic posts regarding living conditions NYC. The discussion is getting derailed.

Please stay focused on helping the OP decide (or not) to move to NYC.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
randybobandy
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by randybobandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm

I would not be comfortable going with this plan. Good luck if you do.

Randy Bo Bandy

pejp
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by pejp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 pm
I removed several off-topic posts regarding living conditions NYC. The discussion is getting derailed.

Please stay focused on helping the OP decide (or not) to move to NYC.

Got it, no more challenging of very obviously racially charged comments.

Sagefemme
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Sagefemme » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:01 am

I recommend fleshing out in your head all the steps involved if you were to move to New York, not find work, and end up moving back to Seattle. If that would be disastrous for you, emotionally, financially, or logistically, then don't go until you have a job secured. If your evaluation of the worst case scenario (move there then have to move back) is that it wouldn't be the end of the world, then do it. Especially if you love New York and can picture living there. I love New York (my sister lives there) but I'm very clear that I love it for visiting only. I agree with the posters who said, get any job you can then look for your dream job. Having no income at all and watching your emergency funds disappear seems too stressful.

I keep hearing ads for Zip Recruiter. The ads make it sound like this the way job candidates and employers get connected these days. I assume you're signed up?

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 am

Born in Brooklyn, NY many, many years ago and lived in NY most all of my life. There's no place like it in the world! There's lots of opportunities and salaries are probably higher than many parts of the country but there's also lots of competition. If you like a challenge, are flexible and willing to take a risk, give it a try.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Nissanzx1
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am

Just use caution, and have deep, deep savings if you do this. I personally wouldn't move anywhere I didn't have at least some type of basic work lined up unless I had 12 months+ cash in hand.

To be 100% honest, I would never move to an HCOL/ High Tax area either. Nothing against NY at all, fact is it's expensive.

Good luck with the move and greater luck finding something that pays enough to keep your head above water. I think you can do it, just use caution.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6764
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 pm

What do you mean by PM? It can mean Product Manager, Program Manager, or Project Manager. You’d probably have a much easier time getting a tech job in Seattle or Austin than in NYC. If I were trying to break into tech I wouldn’t limit myself to just a handful of potential companies. Get actual tech experience and then try to move into healthcare after a few years.

ArmchairArchitect
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm

I grew up in NYC. Would not recommend living there unless you work in an industry that only exists in NYC, otherwise your slightly higher salary will be nowhere near what your astronimcal cost of living will be.

I would recommend a MCOL city such as Philadelphia which is a still a huge city with all the big city lifestyle offerings, at a much more reasonable cost of living. Even with our top 1-2% income level, there's no way we could replicate our home/lifestyle if we lived in NYC. And NYC attractions are too spread out, its quite inconvenient due to a lack of urban planning back in the day.

3feetpete
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by 3feetpete » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Go for it! Fortune favors the brave.

3feetpete
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Moving to NYC without a job

Post by 3feetpete » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 am

Further to my advice to just do it; you can jump start your search right now. Change your current location on Linkden and job search sites to New York City. You will get calls right away. My daughter did that when she wanted to move from the Midwest back to the East Coast for similar reasons. It worked out very, very well for her. There was no issue about the white lie regarding the current location. Employers understood the reasoning. She was flown out for interviews and got the job she wanted in the city she wanted and they even paid her moving. This is the best time ever for job hunters and you should have little trouble finding a job. From your post it sounds like you are looking for something that is a bit of a stretch from what you are currently doing. In todays job market, you will probably be given a chance provided you interview well. And then of course you have to perform. Good Luck!

Post Reply