iMac + iPad Pro

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Keepcalm

iMac + iPad Pro

Post by Keepcalm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Is this becoming a more minimalistic and useful combo and has anyone adopted this combo versus having a MacBook?

your IPS

Re: iMac + iPad Pro

Post by your IPS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm

That’s exactly my setup, and it works really well for me.
Always do what your IPS says.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm

There is no reason currently to buy a MacBook with the new air and iPad.

People keep just throwing money at AAPL.

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Interesting, do you believe the air is powerful enough for most? Do you think the air could run Lightroom?

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 pm

We've used an iPad for several years now, and been through many iterations. Just got the new iPad Pro 11". I bought the 256GB option because if I'm honest, it's really just a media consumption device for our family. So I've downloaded our digital movies and TV shows, music, audio Bible, and a few apps for consumption. The display and speakers are amazing. The portability is supreme. And the animojis for the kids. :D Our kids like the pencil accessory, but the oldest is only 3 so they wouldn't use it without adult supervision. The folio keyboard is neat, and I like that it finally wraps around the back of the iPad, but it's an accessory more than an integral part of the machine like a laptop is. It's also why I opted for the smaller Pro over the 12.9" - I want a tablet to hold in one hand and leave my other hand free. The touchscreen aspect that Apple has resisted putting into any of it's laptops is really awesome. That brings me to the laptop.

I think of my wife's primary use of our laptop. Kids are in bed, she's finally got a chance to sit down and do some work, so she opens the laptop on her...lap on the couch. She doesn't want to use the iPad with it's flimsy keyboard. She wants a true laptop with trackpad and keyboard. I'll never be able to convince her to switch. And with iOS (some are calling for something called padOS, yikes count me against that), I'm not sure I'll ever switch either. We won't upgrade the laptop again until they put that TrueDepth in the Macbook (Pro) (TouchID does nothing for us, as my wife struggles with skin issues that make it useless), but even then we'll probably still be an iPad, laptop, desktop family. I see a strong use case for all three.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I find that I use a desktop and smartphone more than a tablet or laptop. The tablet and laptop are great on a long flight to watch a movie, but I don't seem to use them other than that scenario.

wibadger

Post by wibadger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm

I use the iMac + iPad. I have been using Apple computers for over 30 years; my primary work is software development.

I stopped using a laptop. If I am working, I use the iMac. I upgraded the ram myself.

If I am reading, etc., I use the iPad. The scroll reading feature for iBooks and Kindle are great - I can read a lot faster this way. I also use the iPad in the kitchen for recipes, music, etc. Also, it is light enough that I don't even notice the weight if I take it on a trip.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm
PFInterest wrote:

Interesting, do you believe the air is powerful enough for most? Do you think the air could run Lightroom?
yes it is.
most people dont use lightroom.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm

I've been in the midst of a tech refresh this last year and have ended up here:

iMac 27" for home office, photo editing etc...
iPad (older one) for travel and sofa reading, due to replace that this year
iPhone just replaced 6 with Xs, huge improvement, but...
iWatch got it last week as a small alert system, on call 24/7 for elderly mother, cardio and fall detection for me, tired of carrying phone everywhere.
I will experiment for a while but I can already see a preference for a combo of watch + pad for most of life, phone may live at house rather like an old landline.
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm

I don’t use a Mac but I do own an older 9.7 iPad with a cracked screen that’s difficult to charge. I have been looking at the Apple refurbished 256 10.5. I wonder if the price will come down this month when the new iPads are released. I use the iPad everyday for reading and the news. The wife uses it on airplanes to watch tv shows that I download for her.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Old Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm
I don’t use a Mac but I do own an older 9.7 iPad with a cracked screen that’s difficult to charge. I have been looking at the Apple refurbished 256 10.5. I wonder if the price will come down this month when the new iPads are released. I use the iPad everyday for reading and the news. The wife uses it on airplanes to watch tv shows that I download for her.
Owned one, it's fantastic; I would get it if I were you. Your experience will be significantly improved by the display (ProMotion, TrueTone, and Wide Color), and the audio is really great for a tablet. The price won't come down anytime soon, as it's already discounted being a refurb. That's another downside of the NEW iPad Pros being more expensive than the previous generation: the previous generation price is the same.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. Ordered it. $679 plus tax. I’m tired of struggling with the charging.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Here's a different take.

I don't use an iMac because the idea of a computer that has to be used in a fixed location seems like something out of the 1980s.

A MacBook Pro overlaps the iMac in performance, -and- you can use it anywhere. I think a much better approach is a high end MacBook Pro (I prefer 13" for portability) and a large external monitor, keyboard and mouse for extended work sessions where the major productivity enhancement is more screen real estate, not more cpu horsepower.

All the iPads suffer from the same difficulty....iOS. It's "based on" macOS, but macOS is a real operating system with a file system (and, yah I know about "files" on iOS 12...not the same). And macOS is not just "based on" Unix, it IS Unix, and that is all available if you want it. Also, the tablets don't do multi-windowing...only sort of, (nor multitasking) and the kinda-sorta "two apps at once" is (IMHO) kludgy and half-baked. Windowing operating systems were invented for a good reason, and I think the tablets are a step backwards, except in the simplest usage cases.

And, it pains me to say it, but Microsoft got right on the Surface what Apple got wrong on the iPad; the Surface can use a mouse or trackpad, the iPad cannot.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 am

Old Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm
Thanks for the advice. Ordered it. $679 plus tax. I’m tired of struggling with the charging.
Excellent choice. It's a steep price but with 4G RAM, that storage, and the processor you'll be set for many years to come. :beer

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I view the iPad as, you're buying a computer that teleported from 2045 in 2018, so it's a reasonable price to pay. I use mine more and more as time goes by.

Also, and this is something I don't see discussed enough here, I never buy Apple products myself. My company buys them for me. So I am quite flexible in what tech I need to get my work done.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

I consider myself a creative professional and don't feel that the iMac and iPad Pro is a good fit for me quite yet.

My current setup:

Mac Pro (circa 2014) Fully maxed everything, 3 screens, 2 2TB external Seagates attached at any given time.
Primary use: Video and motion graphics.

MacBook Pro (circa 2015) Mid-range model with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.
Primary use: Personal laptop, web, creative freelance and take-home work. Offloading photos and footage during shoots.

I've owned iPads in the past (my daughter appropriated them as she got older) and mostly just used them for note taking and for low-end color matching of video (If video and animation encoded in H.264 output looked good on an iPad, it would probably look ok everywhere else). They're nice for showing demo reels and portfolio samples in a person to person meeting or interview.

I think Apple is getting closer but these are the following deal breakers with me regarding the iPad Pro as a MacBook replacement.

1) iOS is unable or unwilling to recognize external storage or volumes with the exception of SD and CF cards. If you are a content creator, you will need access to flash drives, external bus powered hard drives, or RAID arrays at some point.

2) Import of images from an SD/CF card can only occur via Camera Roll. You can't import straight to Lightroom CC. Also if you shoot RAW+Jpeg, you have to pick one or the other. You can't import both.

3) I might be wrong but it appears that the iPad Pro still loads and displays only the mobile versions of websites. This is a machine that claims to have desktop hardware and processing power but still limits itself to the kiddie version of the web pool. They should offer a version of Safari that is indistinguishable from the desktop version.

Maybe overtime the iPad pro will function more like a MacBook Pro but it's a few iterations short of that currently.

If I were to upgrade TODAY, I would opt for the following hardware.

1) Mac Mini 3.2 GHz 6-core, 8 GB RAM (will max out with aftermarket brand), 1 TB SSD
$1,899 + 200 for 3rd party RAM.

2) Toss up between the newly updated MacBook Air, and the soon to be refreshed (graphics card only) MacBook Pro. Usually the sweet spot for me there is closer to the mid-range. I might be interested in seeing how light I can travel.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm

I have a MacBook Pro laptop but am struggling with paying that again in the future. It is the best laptop I have ever used however. And I bought the Pro for the 15" screen as I refuse to use these little screens. Hard to see!

That said I am thinking about for the future, buying a Mac Desktop - 21 or 27. I already have a iPad and that is a good combination. Besides, I really never unhook or take the laptop anywhere. The Mac will be much cheaper, bigger screen, and no difference in how I use.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 pm

My issue with the iMac; I bought one in 2004 (24 inch G5 version) and it was dead by 2007. The display went bad not too long after the 3-year warranty ran out. By then Apple had switched over to Intel so all of the Motorola CPU's didn't have much runway left in terms of software or OS support. I was able to hook it up to an external display or access the HD via Target Drive mode the few times I needed something off of it but it was a bit of a rigmarole.

Usually with other Apple products I'm able to eke out 5-7 years of useful life out of their devices so decided from then on to avoid all-in-one systems.

Calsaver

Post by Calsaver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 pm
PFInterest wrote:

I run lightroom on a minimum spec 12" MacBook, much less powerful than the new air, and it works fine. So I'd say yes, the new MBAir can run lightroom no problem. As fast as a MBPro? No. But I cataloged 7000 26mb images from a Sony A7III and edited a couple hundred of those pics on the minimum spec MacBook and and it worked fine. The digital photography world seems to believe that you need a zillion gigs of RAM and separate graphics card to process photos and it just isn't the case. Is it faster and nice, yes. Necessary, no.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I’ve got a 2018 MacBook Pro and an iPhone Xs. Most of the time my MacBook Pro is connected to an external display and keyboard.

This combo works for me and I could see myself doing an iMac and iPhone if I didn’t have to frequently work from client sites.

I used to have an iPad but never found a use case for it. I could do simple things on my phone and use my laptop for more advanced things. The niche the iPad fills does not fill a void in my workflow.

Notsobad

Post by Notsobad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:05 pm

I have a 5 year old Mac Air that can run capture one pro and Photoshop, though it is starting to slow down now. I am sure the new ones are up to speed. I am getting an iPad Pro as it will meet my needs.

Clearly it will be able to do more than I need, but I will use it for Lightroom and photoshop, and is easier to travel with than a full laptop. As an amateur, I recognize this is a luxury purchase.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 pm

This is actually my mid-term plan. I just bought the new iPad Pro 12.9” with the Smart Keyboard fully intending it to be my main laptop and will eventually (probably when the next iMac refresh and/or spec bump happens) purchase an iMac to replace my MacBook Pro for heavy duty tasks that you just need a Mac for.

I’ve barely used the MacBook Pro since my iPad Pro arrived. The iPad is a fantastic device now and is only going to get better as a computer replacement with each iOS iteration.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:40 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm
3) I might be wrong but it appears that the iPad Pro still loads and displays only the mobile versions of websites. This is a machine that claims to have desktop hardware and processing power but still limits itself to the kiddie version of the web pool. They should offer a version of Safari that is indistinguishable from the desktop version.
Some websites do default to mobile versions of the app based on the browser, Twitter being the main culprit. You can hold down the reload button for 2 seconds to create a "request desktop version" of a site.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:40 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm
Some websites do default to mobile versions of the app based on the browser, Twitter being the main culprit. You can hold down the reload button for 2 seconds to create a "request desktop version" of a site.
Woah, that's a super cool tip. Thanks!

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am

I was wondering- has anyone made purchases based on the above recommendations, and how did it work out? This is a big controversy.

gasdoc

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:38 am

chuckb84 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 pm
And, it pains me to say it, but Microsoft got right on the Surface what Apple got wrong on the iPad; the Surface can use a mouse or trackpad, the iPad cannot.
I can’t imagine wanting a mouse or trackpad on a tablet. ( writing on an iPad now)

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am

Old Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm
Got a link?

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Personally haven't found a use for the iPad or iPad Pro.

Love the iMac and MacBook Pro - the latter for it's portability. Should there be an issue with one, the other is there in a pinch. Desktops computer's can be very handy depending on the type of work you do.

iPad's simply won't work for me. I may not be a typical user as I also have my own business.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 pm

I use all of the major operating systems for home and work. I was very late to Apple computers (2003). For me, I'd much rather use an Apple computer over other systems simply because they work and they work time after time with few issues.

Currently I have:
1. iPhone
2. iPad
3. Dual bootable Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu desktop
4. old 2008 iMac 27" computer (I actually took that one apart a few years ago and did a CPU upgrade, not for the faint of heart)
5. 2018 iMac 27" (got this when there was a good sale and will upgrade the memory myself from 8 GB to 40 GB shortly, been waiting for RAM to drop in price, so far about $55).

In my case I don't travel for work and don't need a laptop. I generally prefer avoiding laptops since they cost more and are more likely to break (due to traveling with them, sometimes not as good with heat dissipation, etc.). So I spend most of my time at my desk on my iMac and watching tv in the background. The iPad I use every night to read blogs, email, visit web pages, play games and (when traveling) watch tv/movies via Netflix.

I also do a lot of stuff in virtual machines on both the dual bootable machine and the iMac. I could probably get away with the just Apple iMac instead of the dual bootable machine (not to mention how much I detest Windows and the endless patches and other issues) but since I do security work in my job I thought it was useful to have.

Depending on your needs/jobs you may be forced into certain directions. For me there is no way I could survive without a real computer since I do a lot of excel stuff and other things that need a large screen and a real keyboard/mouse that a table could never give me.

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I think it really really depends on what your main usage is going to be.

For the majority of people, an iMac+iPad Pro is probably overkill. If all your'e doing is surfing the internet, social media, consuming videos/photos/music, an iPad is going to be just fine. If you're using your computer for excessive amounts of typing/paperwork, maybe a macbook would do.

Personally, I have an original 27 inch iMac (from 2009, a true original), a 5 year old macbook Air, and iPad Air, iPhone XS Max, and an Apple Watch. My 3 year old uses the iPad, I use my phone, my wife uses the Macbook, and no one uses the iMac.