TurboTax on TaxMarkDown.com

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
You Know What I Mean

TurboTax on TaxMarkDown.com

Post by You Know What I Mean » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am

TurboTax Premiere 2018 (download) for $50.99 seems like a good deal. Has anyone had experience with this vendor? Thanks!

https://taxmarkdown.com/product/turbota ... FdEALw_wcB

IMhooked

Re: TurboTax on TaxMarkDown.com

Post by IMhooked » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am

Following this thread. Good question, seemingly good deal!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:24 am

Their identity seems to be a secret. I wonder if their TT products are legit.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am

I just gave it a try and it processed the order seemingly legit. There is also an additional 15%off coupon code <15offtm>. Says I will get an email on NOV 12 when it is released. Make sure to use a credit card with strong fraudulent charge benefits. I will post my experience after the 12th.
"In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable." - Robert Arnott

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Also following this thread with interest.
Is there any benefit to the CD version vs the download version (presumably the same version).
For example, if your hard drive crashes, can you re-download the download version?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

You don't need a computer crash in order to download TT again.

I always download it to two computers because I need to have access from both computers. In addition, you can go back to previous year's software and download it again when your old computer is out of service.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 pm

duplicate
Last edited by mrc on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm
Is there any benefit to the CD version vs the download version (presumably the same version).
For example, if your hard drive crashes, can you re-download the download version?
Practically speaking, the install image you download rapidly becomes obsolete given the number of updates TT requires over time. A decent backup plan seems prudent anyway, because in the event of a disk crash you wouldn't want to loose the highly modified (over baseline) TT application files, nor tax return data files.

I keep the install image around for a while as well. OK, a long while, until it becomes uninstallable (think when Mac went to Intel CPUs, and then dropped support for emulation). I purchased last year from Amazon, and the software download link is present today. Before that, I always bought directly from Intuit. Those links back to 2007 remain as well.

Last, my new PC and both laptops don't have CD drives. :wink:
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am

The company is legit. I received my download link today and installed the software. Works fine.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 am

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm
No they are the same. It's the online version that is different.

You can re download for example Amazon will hold your links indefinitely.

tfb

Post by tfb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:22 pm

VA_Gent wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am
The company is legit. I received my download link today and installed the software. Works fine.
Receiving the download and the company being legit are two different things. These websites pop up every year and they never operate at the same web address for more than one year. Next year they will have a different domain name. Chances are they are selling pirated software.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:41 pm

VA_Gent wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am
I just gave it a try and it processed the order seemingly legit. There is also an additional 15%off coupon code <15offtm>. Says I will get an email on NOV 12 when it is released. Make sure to use a credit card with strong fraudulent charge benefits. I will post my experience after the 12th.
VA_Gent wrote:
Well, I just ordered, used the same discount code (they show it right at the bottom of the page); but no downloads available yet. It says downloads not available until Nov 12th (which is 4 days in the future).
How long did it take between your order and being able to download it? Thanks.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Not all of the versions are available yet. I ordered Deluxe and Business on NOV 6th and at that time it said it would be available on the 12th. But today I got an email that had a link to the Deluxe version saying it had been released today. The Business version is yet to be released.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm

tfb wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:22 pm
VA_Gent wrote:
Receiving the download and the company being legit are two different things. These websites pop up every year and they never operate at the same web address for more than one year. Next year they will have a different domain name. Chances are they are selling pirated software.
I have ordered from these discount sites before and have had no problems. I doubt the software would update properly and allow you to file through Intuit's servers if it was pirated. Your call.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm

tfb wrote:
+1

It appears the domain was registered on Oct 31, 2018, for one year.

That might answer the OP’s question:
You Know What I Mean wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am
Has anyone had experience with this vendor?

Last year I looked into a similar offer. There was a thread about the “vendor” on the Intuit/TT forums indicating that it wasn’t an authorized seller.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I think it is a good idea to be careful when buying tax software from an unauthorized vendor. Considering all the sensitive data you put in the software and there is a lot of uncertainty as to where all the personal data may end up.

Caveat emptor!

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks, everyone! I am going to stick with ordering from a known source like Amazon or Intuit. I don't want pirated software!

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 pm

I pre-ordered directly from Intuit a month ago. Their website says it will be available on Nov 7th, but it still doesn't show up to be downloaded. I called Intuit and they said they were having problems making the downloads available - or something like that. I'll try again tomorrow.

Post by 2015 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm
tfb wrote:
+1

It appears the domain was registered on Oct 31, 2018, for one year.

That might answer the OP’s question:
You Know What I Mean wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am
Has anyone had experience with this vendor?

Last year I looked into a similar offer. There was a thread about the “vendor” on the Intuit/TT forums indicating that it wasn’t an authorized seller.
All kinds of nasty things coming out of China (and other parts of the world) these days. I'm not about to risk downloading something to my computer off the internet when I know nothing of the origins of the site offering it.

As Charlie Munger says "invert, always invert." First evaluate the risk in the action, then evaluate the gain.

justme1

Post by justme1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:43 am

I tried doing something like this last year, for the same type of site which had only been registered less than a month as well. I should have thought about it more, because I didn't buy it right away and followed it for a couple of weeks and before I bought it the site went up in smoke, and I guess another one opened. I figured the risk wasn't high as I used paypal (so no direct credit card info to them) and paypal is typically pro-buyer, and it wasn't a tremendous amount of money anyway. The first red flag was the download link wasn't to any service I recognized. I downloaded it, but before I opened it I of course scanned for viruses and found one. I notified the vendor who just immediately refunded my order. I suspect it is the same thing here.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:41 pm
VA_Gent wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am
VA_Gent wrote:

Well, I just ordered, used the same discount code (they show it right at the bottom of the page); but no downloads available yet. It says downloads not available until Nov 12th (which is 4 days in the future).
How long did it take between your order and being able to download it? Thanks.
Well, I just cancelled my order. At least I attempted to cancel it. Form on the website for sending them a message. I also called my credit card company and put a hold on the purchase. We'll see how that goes.
I just checked TT's site: $99 for Premier download PC
Or at Amazon: $89.

Any reason NOT to get it from Amazon (for $10 less)?

goonie

Post by goonie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

I was wondering this as well.

deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:21 am

goonie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

I was wondering this as well.
Trying to decide the same thing. The only thing that makes me potentially skeptical in getting it from Amazon is if I would have to go through their support and for some reason they would give me a hard time because I didn't purchase it through them (e.g. if I needed a license reactivation, or if I needed to download the Windows version after having bought/downloaded the Mac version).

But I'm probably going to purchase it from Amazon, I happen to have a $400 Amazon gift card that I have been carrying forward for a few months now, so I'll put some of that to a good use :sharebeer .

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 am

If TT products are "Sold by Amazon," I will be comfortable with the authenticity of the products.

But the products can also be "Fulfilled by Amazon" or "Shipped from and Sold by XYZ." They can still be legit, but the uncertainty is greater.

For something like a tax software in that I input so much of my personal, financial and tax data, I am willing to pay more to satisfy my comfort level. YMMV because my comfort level is not yours and vice versa.

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 am

We've bought Turbotax from Costco for years now, there's usually a sale as we head into tax filing season.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am

Yes for Costco.

One advantage of buying a CD is that it comes with both PC and Mac versions and that helps for those with both PC and Mac.

And for those whose computer does not have a CD drive, one can always install an external CD drive.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:05 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am

And for those whose computer does not have a CD drive, one can always install an external CD drive.
Yup. It had been a tradition for years to dig out the external DVD drive from the “auxiliary” hardware storage box in the garage once a year to install TurboTax on my MacBook Pro. Until I switched to free downloads from Vanguard/Fidelity.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:46 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:05 am

Yup. It had been a tradition for years to dig out the external DVD drive from the “auxiliary” hardware storage box in the garage once a year to install TurboTax on my MacBook Pro. Until I switched to free downloads from Vanguard/Fidelity.
Are there still "free downloads from Vanguard/Fidelity"? Is this every year or just some years? All versions? When is this usually made available?
- - Thanks.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Vanguard discontinued that offer a few years ago.

Fido offered that last year for customers of their choosing. The criteria for getting free TT were never published. However, if you have at least 7 figure investments with Fido and have generated enough revenues for them, you may have received the offer.

Nobody knows what Fido is going to do this year as the company has lowered its commissions and ER so much that it may become even choosier this year in offering free tax software, if any.

But the big picture is: the vast majority of us can afford to buy our own tax software.

doneat53

Post by doneat53 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Is there some way to check a product code or otherwise to determine if the download from taxmarkdown.com is legit?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:47 pm

From Intuit.com:

“I purchased a copy of Turbotax from a questionable source. How can I tell if it is legitimate before using it? Is there a checksum I can use to validate it?

Click on in the top black border, "online" and then in the drop-down, click on "Check for Updates"

If this works you are good to go.“

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/43868 ... load-legit

I have not done the above because I only purchase tax software from well known reliable sources.

doneat53

Post by doneat53 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 pm

I make it a point to get the absolute cheapest deal on TT software each year. Kind of a game. :sharebeer

deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Ended up buying the Premier on Amazon today, the download version. Download link appeared immediately.

Coming from almost a decade of TT online, I'm pleasantly surprised, the workflow of the desktop edition is so much better, in particular:

- Being able to create multiple profiles and comparing them is very valuable (to me at least)
- The ability to jump back and forth between forms and interview mode makes it very easy to understand the process

This afternoon I was able to check how Turbotax adjusts a big long term capital gain I'll have this year when doing schedule D AMT vs regular schedule D (since there's an AMT adjustment due to ISO), and being able to see their calculations on the form match my manually calculated ones gave me a peace of mind. I'm pretty sure the online version wouldn't show those details until the very very end, if at all.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

For those looking to get this from Amazon, I'd hold off just a bit. The software won't be very usable for several weeks, as stuff gets updated. And as we head into the holiday season Amazon will run promos on TurboTax. I bought TT 2017 Premier last December for around $50 from Amazon (digital download) and would expect to see the same promo pricing around Black Friday, instead of the $90 regular price.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm
I think it is a good idea to be careful when buying tax software from an unauthorized vendor. Considering all the sensitive data you put in the software and there is a lot of uncertainty as to where all the personal data may end up.

Caveat emptor!
And what else may end up on your computer. Those risks are not worth $10 or $20 to me.

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 am

I use TurboTax Trusts and Estates. I believe it was $110 last year. Great product with great customer support. I have been quoted at minimum $500 to have an attorney or accountant do a trust return. I was happy to pay $110.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

joeka1

Post by joeka1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 am

Stay away. This is not a reputable vendor!!! I tried to download about 10 times with download speeds of a snail and never could get beyond 20%. Either their equipment(server) is totally inadequate or this is just a ripoff. Don't waster your time. This was my experience 11/11/2018.

veloce55

Post by veloce55 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:41 pm

So last Thursday, before many of the subsequent posts here, I ordered the Home & Business version, and upon completion of the order the down link was immediately available. I downloaded the zip file, which took less than a minute, and immediately ran it through my anti-virus program - no issues were found. I extracted and loaded the software without issues. Upon first starting the program it presented a registration screen as it has always done in prior years. I am a long-time TTax user, and the initial load, registration, and prior year file conversion was exactly the same, and all looks Ok so far.

Upon reading the subsequent posts here, I got a bit nervous, so I immediately ran the anti-virus again and found no issues. I also "checked for updates" as suggested here (and from intuit.com) and it worked fine.

This has been my experience so far, but I'm still a bit nervous, and hoping to hear more comments and experiences here.