Should I demand a refund from a dentist who installed a bad crown?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CobraKai

Should I demand a refund from a dentist who installed a bad crown?

Post by CobraKai » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 am

This is a continuation of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=263097

I went to the dentist a few months back and he installed an ill fitting crown (after two attempts with two different crowns), which was confirmed by another dentist after I sought a second opinion. He stated that there is enough of an opening for food particles to get inside.

The dentist who installed this crown announced his retirement recently and is turning/has turned his business over to a new dentist (who had recommended pulling the tooth after I saw him a couple weeks ago).

The "second opinion" dentist said he saw no reason to pull the tooth. He referred me to an endodontist to determine whether there is damage to the nerve which would need a root canal. In either case, a new crown would be needed if I were to choose to save the tooth.

With that being said, I did make an appointment for the extraction a couple weeks ago when I saw the new dentist (the one replacing the retired dentist). Now that I'm having second thoughts about extracting the tooth, I plan to cancel the appointment. Should I also complain and insist on speaking to the retiring dentist who installed the crown (assuming he is still available) and request a refund? If I complain, whether I am able to speak to the retired dentist or not, there could be resentment from the new dentist that I did not choose to follow his advice to extract the truth. I am not convinced that his advice to extract the tooth isn't reluctance to admit/fix the previous dentist's mistake.

Please do not provide medical advice in this thread. This is strictly about finance and paying for a service that was not delivered.

CedarWaxWing

Re: Should I demand a refund from a dentist who installed a bad crown?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:46 pm

You need to find a dentist you trust to give you good advice and follow that advice. If your crown is ill fitting because the work was not properly done that is a different situation than the tooth not being appropriate for a crown before you had that work done, or after the work was done due to the dentist's work on it, or a poor quality crown being made.

Ask a dentist you trust to give you the straight talk about whether the work was done properly or not and make your own decision... no one here can tell you what is right and just... a good dentist who sees you and who has no conflicts of interest should be your trusted source. Your first goal should be to get your tooth properly treated, a refund for prior work may be possible or not, and may be appropriate or not, but that should be a secondary issue.

voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 am
This is a continuation of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=263097

I went to the dentist a few months back and he installed an ill fitting crown (after two attempts with two different crowns), which was confirmed by another dentist after I sought a second opinion. He stated that there is enough of an opening for food particles to get inside.

The dentist who installed this crown announced his retirement recently and is turning/has turned his business over to a new dentist (who had recommended pulling the tooth after I saw him a couple weeks ago).

The "second opinion" dentist said he saw no reason to pull the tooth. He referred me to an endodontist to determine whether there is damage to the nerve which would need a root canal. In either case, a new crown would be needed if I were to choose to save the tooth.

With that being said, I did make an appointment for the extraction a couple weeks ago when I saw the new dentist (the one replacing the retired dentist). Now that I'm having second thoughts about extracting the tooth, I plan to cancel the appointment. Should I also complain and insist on speaking to the retiring dentist who installed the crown (assuming he is still available) and request a refund? If I complain, whether I am able to speak to the retired dentist or not, there could be resentment from the new dentist that I did not choose to follow his advice to extract the truth. I am not convinced that his advice to extract the tooth isn't reluctance to admit/fix the previous dentist's mistake.

Please do not provide medical advice in this thread. This is strictly about finance and paying for a service that was not delivered.
I think you should go with the second dentist, you appear to trust his medical advice more than the first dentist. You should have your records forwarded to this dentist and move on. You could ask to speak to the retired dentist to address this, but considering it had been 3 years I believe since your crown was placed, he probably wont budge. The new dentist cant be held responsible for the previous dentist treatment. Good luck.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Prior thread was locked. This may not end well for you.

I had similar instance where crown had to be replaced in 2 years and insurance wouldn't cover. After extensive hades raising and multiple attempts I finally got them to do the replacement for a very discounted rate (or free I do t remember). I did first go to another dentist to confirm it needed to be done.

There is actually a thread in here on it.

viewtopic.php?t=227918

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Thread locked for moderator review.

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:04 pm

As a reminder, restarting a locked discussion is not permitted. See: Locked Topics
if a topic is locked, please do not start up another thread to continue the discussion,
A similar discussion will eventually result in the thread being locked again, which is why we don't permit continuation of the topic.

In this case, the OP is focused solely on the financial aspects. After a PM exchange with the OP, this thread is now unlocked to continue the discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Obtaining a refund is probably going to be harder to pursue than you think. The first dentist may simply say that it is a difference of professional opinion. In that case you'll need another dentist to say the first guy screwed up (and should give you a refund) - good luck with getting another dentist to say that outside of formal litigation.

You could try writing a letter to your original dentist asking for a refund in which case you'll consider the matter closed, good luck in retirement, etc. You could also say that if he won't give you a refund that you'll seek a lawyer about pursuing a lawsuit.

If the dentist tells you to go pound sand, then your problem will be in finding a lawyer who thinks your case is worth vast amounts of $$$ to make it worth pursuing - at first blush I'd say you won't find such a lawyer. The costs of litigation alone won't begin to make this worth it.

Your best bet is probably to accept what has happened and go forth with your life and follow your new dentist's advice.

IANAL.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm

If you paid with credit card file a dispute. You probably will not prevail but it at least gives you a tiny bit of negotiating power in the meantime.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:35 am

CedarWaxWing wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:46 pm
You need to find a dentist you trust to give you good advice and follow that advice.
That is the trick, finding a dentist that I trust. I trusted this dentist for over ten years. He never had to do any work for me (outside of teeth cleanings which are handled by his assistants) until this crown replacement procedure. He seemed to know what he was talking about and what I liked about him is that he would not push for something that one doesn't need. It was my luck that this procedure was done just before he retired.
CedarWaxWing wrote:
If your crown is ill fitting because the work was not properly done that is a different situation than the tooth not being appropriate for a crown before you had that work done, or after the work was done due to the dentist's work on it, or a poor quality crown being made.
Honestly it could have been any or a combination of the above. I have a family member who had a bad experience with this same dentist when he had a crown put in. Perhaps I should have learned from his experience.
CedarWaxWing wrote:
Ask a dentist you trust to give you the straight talk about whether the work was done properly or not and make your own decision... no one here can tell you what is right and just... a good dentist who sees you and who has no conflicts of interest should be your trusted source. Your first goal should be to get your tooth properly treated, a refund for prior work may be possible or not, and may be appropriate or not, but that should be a secondary issue.
That makes sense although I am a bit frustrated after spending hundreds of dollars on a service that was not delivered. I have had a couple of similar instances with auto repair shops over the last couple years and was able to get refunds. It helped that one was paid with a credit card. With me paying by check (bad move in hindsight) and paying in full within a month of the procedure (another bad move in hindsight), perhaps I need be more mindful on how and when I pay for these type of services in the future.
Last edited by CobraKai on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am

voodoo72 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm
I think you should go with the second dentist, you appear to trust his medical advice more than the first dentist. You should have your records forwarded to this dentist and move on. You could ask to speak to the retired dentist to address this, but considering it had been 3 years I believe since your crown was placed, he probably wont budge.
Actually the crown was replaced only a few months ago.

I really wanted to keep going to the same place I have been going since it is so close to home, the staff is friendly, and they do a good job on the teeth cleanings. But yes, after his recommendation, it's probably best to cut ties and take my business elsewhere. There are things that I didn't like about the new dentist's office (i.e. longer wait, staff wasn't as polite) but the dentist himself did seem pretty straightforward. I've notice some mixed reviews online but I should probably give him a chance until he give me a reason not to.
voodoo72 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm
The new dentist cant be held responsible for the previous dentist treatment.
That is understandable. He inherited a messy situation and that may be why he proposed the solution that he did.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:47 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm
I had similar instance where crown had to be replaced in 2 years and insurance wouldn't cover. After extensive hades raising and multiple attempts I finally got them to do the replacement for a very discounted rate (or free I do t remember). I did first go to another dentist to confirm it needed to be done.

There is actually a thread in here on it.

viewtopic.php?t=227918
Thanks for sharing!
Something tells me there is a good possibility that I will run into the same thing if I get this crown replaced after only a few months.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm
Obtaining a refund is probably going to be harder to pursue than you think. The first dentist may simply say that it is a difference of professional opinion. In that case you'll need another dentist to say the first guy screwed up (and should give you a refund) - good luck with getting another dentist to say that outside of formal litigation.
The dentist that I went to for the second opinion did pretty much say that the previous dentist screwed up with the ill fitting crown.
BolderBoy wrote:
You could try writing a letter to your original dentist asking for a refund in which case you'll consider the matter closed, good luck in retirement, etc. You could also say that if he won't give you a refund that you'll seek a lawyer about pursuing a lawsuit.
I guess that's pretty much all I can do.
BolderBoy wrote:
If the dentist tells you to go pound sand, then your problem will be in finding a lawyer who thinks your case is worth vast amounts of $$$ to make it worth pursuing - at first blush I'd say you won't find such a lawyer. The costs of litigation alone won't begin to make this worth it.
True. The other thought I had was small claims court but probably not worth it either.
BolderBoy wrote:
Your best bet is probably to accept what has happened and go forth with your life and follow your new dentist's advice.
Yes although I just hate spending so much on a service that clearly was not done right.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm
If you paid with credit card file a dispute. You probably will not prevail but it at least gives you a tiny bit of negotiating power in the meantime.
I wish I would have paid with a credit card or took my time to pay the bill. I guess this is what I get for paying on time and being an honest consumer. I delivered my end of the deal but the other side did not deliver.

This is the third or fourth time I have been ripped off in the past couple of years (twice due to issues with my car). I was able to get refunds in those instances.