My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wasp09

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

The official news released by Honda.ca did include the phrase of "over-dilution of oil with fuel" :

http://www.hondanews.ca/en/news/release ... s--UPDATE3

It also mentioned about checking "www.honda.ca/recalls".

It is no longer an unknown issue... in Canada.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm

HONDA CRV - WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE PURCHASE - OIL DILUTION
(Pretty much what I've been living with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrtULlp ... 5pCmGfO2VM

Who knows? -- maybe the 2019 will be OK. :confused

But I wouldn't want to roll the dice....
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Horsefly wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:07 pm
So Colorado is not considered a "cold weather" state? That will come as a shock to some of the ski areas here that have snow from late October through June....
Well, Colorado isn't included because states starting with "C" are specifically excluded. Note Connecticut, which gets slightly more snow than Florida.
I don't know if that is mean to be funny or if you actually think that? :shock: I hope it is the former and not the latter! I assure you Connecticut gets plenty of snow though if you live along Long Island Sound it is much milder than inland. 60" is the average snowfall, I doubt Florida gets 6" on average in the northern most part of the state.
It was a joke. Note that I live in Massachusetts, not far from the Connecticut border and own a "Plow Truck" to clear my driveway of snow. I found it humorous that states NOT included in the campaign included Colorado and Connecticut. Thus my assumption that Honda does not like states beginning with "C".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 am

In the new issue of Consumer Reports (Dec 2018) there is an article about problems with the new turbo engines but there is no mention of CRV problems. Actually CRV is still on their recommended list.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

The "fix" is slowly rolling out and a few people are reporting on the crvownersclub website. Not many yet, but so far the results are not encouraging. No-one has said "voila! it works!", but some are saying "&%^*!". Keeping an eye on it but not especially surprised so far. PT Barnum would be amused.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... re-50.html
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm
The "fix" is slowly rolling out and a few people are reporting on the crvownersclub website. Not many yet, but so far the results are not encouraging. No-one has said "voila! it works!", but some are saying "&%^*!". Keeping an eye on it but not especially surprised so far. PT Barnum would be amused.

Is the fix just a software change, or does it include hardware changes? I fear that the problem relates to the physical design of the engine, so I would be skeptical of a software-only fix.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Authorized Honda dealers performing the free product update will upload new software into vehicle, change the engine oil, and, in certain vehicles, replace the air conditioning control unit.

wasp09

Post by wasp09 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 am

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Fix-here thread got shut down. No need to do that if fix is convincingly working.

I guess if your piston rings are already worn out in diluted oil, a software fix cannot repair them...

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I was following that thread also to see comments from owners who have gotten the "fix." Results seemed mixed so far. I doubt that a software update will help much, as it seems to be intended to heat the engine up more quickly to help in colder climates, and I don't have that problem. Am still interested in other sites where owners are posting their experience before I decide to get it done.

HondaOwner5150

Post by HondaOwner5150 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm

I wanted to add to this forum to report that this problem is more prevalent than claimed. The problem in my honda developed within 2,000 miles. Stalling, lurching, fuel in oil. No fix for Kansas or Missouri currently slated. However, Honda must recognize that this is a real problem. It is widespread. I'm documenting everything with the dealer and will enact the lemon law if this is not repaired within 4 efforts as stipulated under law. As the first occurrence happened within a month of ownership, I would expect that Honda must fix this within the next few months. Advice to all: DON'T BUY A HONDA UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS ADDRESSED.

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

HondaOwner5150 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm
I wanted to add to this forum to report that this problem is more prevalent than claimed. The problem in my honda developed within 2,000 miles. Stalling, lurching, fuel in oil. No fix for Kansas or Missouri currently slated. However, Honda must recognize that this is a real problem. It is widespread. I'm documenting everything with the dealer and will enact the lemon law if this is not repaired within 4 efforts as stipulated under law. As the first occurrence happened within a month of ownership, I would expect that Honda must fix this within the next few months. Advice to all: DON'T BUY A HONDA UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS ADDRESSED.
Thanks and Amen to that. I hope you are successful with a Lemon Law claim. There is a major defect with this engine and until it is replaced with a new engine, this problem will remain. Maybe next Gen CRV, but I won't be interested. Will be looking hard at the 2019 RAV4. Has port as well as direct injection and no turbo. I'd stay away from all small turbo, direct-injection engines, especially the ones in Hondas. Major engineering screwup.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Class action lawsuit - but only in Georgia: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

Still, might get Honda's attention.
Honda fuel dilution problems have caused a lawsuit that alleges 2015-2018 Honda Civics, CR-Vs and Honda Accords have 1.5-liter direct injection turbocharged engine defects that cause engine oil to dilute with gasoline.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Class action lawsuit - but only in Georgia: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

Still, might get Honda's attention.
Honda fuel dilution problems have caused a lawsuit that alleges 2015-2018 Honda Civics, CR-Vs and Honda Accords have 1.5-liter direct injection turbocharged engine defects that cause engine oil to dilute with gasoline.
We need one of those lawsuits to be certified by a judge as a class action suit. That will get Honda's attention.

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm

2019s are out. Almost zero changes.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 pm

steadyhand wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm
2019s are out. Almost zero changes.
They're supposed to have the software update. One way to tell if it is doing anything is to track owner complaints about the 2019 on CarComplaints.com. If oil dilution is still happening, complaints ought to start showing up in about January.

CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm

So, Honda revised the Owner's Manual for the 2017 and 2018 CRV and it now includes the following:
NOTICE:

Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark. If you have a concern, consult a dealer for details.
This is wrong on so many levels. This is probably the only actual "fix" that is coming -- a fix to the Owner's Manual. And the advice to consult a dealer is completely worthless, as I've found repeatedly. Should change the wording to "if you have a concern, good luck to you sucker!"

wasp09

Post by wasp09 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am

I heard that the first recall attempt in China also included a new dipstick with a higher upper marking. That was rejected back in Feb. I wonder if the 2019 CRV would have that "fix".

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

wasp09 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am
I heard that the first recall attempt in China also included a new dipstick with a higher upper marking. That was rejected back in Feb. I wonder if the 2019 CRV would have that "fix".
That would not surprise me. Honda seems to be taking the position that fuel dilution is "normal" in their 1.5T engine and that the only problem is that a small number of owners are irrationally upset by it. So, they post a youtube propaganda video, edit their owner's manual, and make public statements to publications like CR that trivialize the issue, and promise a "fix" that is being trickled out and probably won't fix anything. So, it would be perfectly consistent with this approach to change the dipstick. Or better yet, be like Audi and don't even have a dipstick. Problem solved. Think I might go into the Honda parts department and buy another one in January or so just to see if it is different. Who knows? Maybe we're in the age of the New Normal for turbo, direct injection engines and Not To Worry. One benefit -- you never have to add oil between oil changes anymore.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 am

Oh, that's good. So when the rod bearings stock knocking, will the approved factory solution be to turn up the radio?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

2017HatchCivic

Post by 2017HatchCivic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am

Just came back from a Honda dealer in Ontario, you can no longer buy the thermostat for a 1.5t civic. Part is not available with a side note to call Tech Support. Clearly an issue with these thermostats also, witch I believe is my problem. I’ve done a few little tests when I had some free time. With 50-60% of the radiator blocked off i still only can only get coolant temp up to 179f. I can finally feel heat on the radiator and coolant hoses after a 110km trip of highway driving.

wasp09

Post by wasp09 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am
...One benefit -- you never have to add oil between oil changes anymore.
Correct. It still auto increases after the fix.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... ost1510161

Heating is marginally improved though.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Image of the redesigned Honda CRV dipstick on the top, compared to the existing CRV dipstick below. That should take care of the overfill issue. Rolling this out to 5 Northern states and perhaps to the other ones soon. Check with your dealer if you have concerns. :D

BTW, the significance of the 30 mm on the image is that Honda has stated that an overfill up to 30 mm above the full mark on the dipstick is acceptable based on research they said they conducted on Chinese CRVs when they were forced to recall over 350,000 vehicles. Chinese regulators didn't buy it. You be the judge.