Verizon FIOS and TV Combo

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Prudence

Verizon FIOS and TV Combo

Post by Prudence »

I used to have a 2008 flatscreen TV with a blu ray hooked up to Comcast cable and had no trouble watching movies via download or disk from Redbox, Netflix etc. Then I got FIOS and a new 4K smart TV and tossed out my blu ray. (FIOS provides much better internet service and reliability than Comcast). Now, when I watch movies from Netflix etc. the picture gets blurry; this comes and goes and seems to settle down as the movie goes on. I want to resolve this issue. I think the smart TV can't handle the load. If that is the problem, I will be happy to get another blu ray and hook that up. Has anyone had the same issue?
bloom2708

Re: Verizon FIOS and TV Combo

Post by bloom2708 »

Is your TV connecting via a wired connection to your router or wireless to the router?

What type of router do you have? How old is it? Where is it located compared to your TV location? What does the signal strength look like?

If your connection speed from your laptop or phone is good, then the router is likely the issue.

Does Verizon give you a combo modem/router with your deal or do you own your own router?
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Yes, Verizon installed a combination modem router. It is in the basement (approximately less than 20 feet from the DVR and TV, measured directly through the floor). We are wireless.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you do a speedtest.net check, what are you getting for download speed?

Netflix will attempt to play at the highest possible speed (High = HD or Super HD) if you do not adjust.

You log into your netflix account from your computer. Go into Account settings. In Playback Settings you can set the Max speed/download. You could try to set Medium (Not High) as the best and see if that helps. This would just be to test if the stream is too much for the system as it currently is. Probably not a good solution as you want your 4K TV to have the best signal.

I know people in general are not thrilled with the modem/router combo units. We use a 3 unit Google Wifi router mesh system (with a basic Hitron cable modem). Easy to set up and maintain and very steady. No more rebooting the router mutliple times per week.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Prudence wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:14 am I used to have a 2008 flatscreen TV with a blu ray hooked up to Comcast cable and had no trouble watching movies via download or disk from Redbox, Netflix etc. Then I got FIOS and a new 4K smart TV and tossed out my blu ray. (FIOS provides much better internet service and reliability than Comcast). Now, when I watch movies from Netflix etc. the picture gets blurry; this comes and goes and seems to settle down as the movie goes on. I want to resolve this issue. I think the smart TV can't handle the load. If that is the problem, I will be happy to get another blu ray and hook that up. Has anyone had the same issue?
Since you just switched from Comcast which I have, can you tell me what new equipment you have to buy?

With Comcast I have a cable modem. Do you have to buy a modem from FIOS? How does it work?

Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

I have a FIOS Quantum Gateway Router rented for $10.00 per month. It was installed when they installed the boxes and stuff.