New Treadmill - Proposition 65 Warning Label

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Darth Xanadu

New Treadmill - Proposition 65 Warning Label

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am

My wife and I just purchased a treadmill to have at home. Nothing fancy. It arrived yesterday, and as I was catching my breath after lugging the box up 3 flights of stairs, I saw the Proposition 65 Warning sticker on the box. The listed chemicals were Acrylamide and Toluene.

Now, I appreciate the fact that a) my family and I need to make our own decision about whether to keep and use this product, and b) there are likely many products that come with similar warnings. But, I'm curious about BH members' own experiences along these line? What did you ultimately decide and on what basis did you make your decision?

Perhaps relevant to all of this is that my wife is approx 3 months pregnant.

Thank you,
DX
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

badger42

Re: New Treadmill - Proposition 65 Warning Label

Post by badger42 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am

Starbucks has a Prop 65 warning. The jetway at the local airports has a Prop 65 warning. The beer aisle at the grocery store has a Prop 65 warning. I completely totally 100% ignore Prop 65 warnings, because they are meaningless due to the lack of a lower threshold.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am

Those chemicals are used to make plastics. Unless you plan on eating the treadmill you should be fine.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am

Nothing is safe anymore evidently.

Cheers

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm

In California Proposition 65 warning labels seem to be all over the place. I don't particularly concern myself with them most of the time. The warnings are probably beneficial in the long run but some product compounds, like plastics, are so pervasively used in consumer products that it would be difficult to find certain products without them. If you walk or run outside in lieu of a treadmill you'll still be exposed to automotive and diesel fumes or their residue. When gas still I lead in it I had a biology class where we tested soil samples students gathered from around an interstate interchange and lead was very easy to detect. Living in a metropolitan area has all kinds of risks. The poisons in the treadmill may pose less of a risk than the poisons in your carpeting, laminate flooring, upholstery, and lots of other household items where the warning was removed before you were exposed to the product.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I would not make any personal decisions based on Prop 65 - it is a complete joke of a regulation and the poster child for bad government regulation. 900 chemicals, including some base elements, that "might" cause cancer are on the list, with zero threshold of exposure.

Starbucks was sued and lost a Prop 65 lawsuit because of trace chemicals in the coffee roasting process. They lost and now every coffee shop in CA must post a Prop 65 warning or risk being sued.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/starbucks- ... crylamide/

I've even seen Prop 65 warnings in the jetway at CA airports because jet exhaust contains chemicals on the list. Will you stop traveling because you might breath basically kerosene fumes for five seconds as you board the plane?

I got sucked into this at work. We make parts out of steel, some of it is stainless steel. All stainless steel contains the element Nickel which is on the list. Even our non stainless product might contain a trace, since steel is all recycled and the stainless frying pan you threw in the recycling bin last year got melted down and recycled into our last shipment of strip steel that is making a bracket that holds your car seat to the floor. You cook with stainless steel pots, eat with stainless spoons and if you break your leg your doctor will mend the bones with stainless screws, but we must label that bracket as potentially hazardous.

The warning is on your treadmill to avoid lawsuits because somewhere in the manufacturing process one part per trillion of one of those 900 chemicals is on a list. It does nothing to protect you, but can make some lawyers rich if they find a company who failed to protect themselves with a proper warning.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:24 pm

If you had to purchase the air you breathed in California, it would have to come with a Prop 65 warning.

It is a meaningless sticker to be ignored.

JT

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 pm

I remember when prop. 65 was passed. It sounded like a good idea at the time, at least the way it was promoted sounded good.

It turned out to be poorly thought through. A Prop. 65 warning has become all but meaningless. Everything now has a Prop. 65 warning.

It was the equivalent of "Hey, hold my beer and watch me enact these here regulations!"
Semper Augustus

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

"Happiest place on earth"
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 pm

arf30 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am
Those chemicals are used to make plastics. Unless you plan on eating the treadmill you should be fine.
Wife is pregnant, so you never know what the cravings will be...

OP - ignore it.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Don't lick the treadmill.

sciliz

Post by sciliz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Darth Xanadu wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am
My wife and I just purchased a treadmill to have at home. Nothing fancy. It arrived yesterday, and as I was catching my breath after lugging the box up 3 flights of stairs, I saw the Proposition 65 Warning sticker on the box. The listed chemicals were Acrylamide and Toluene.

Now, I appreciate the fact that a) my family and I need to make our own decision about whether to keep and use this product, and b) there are likely many products that come with similar warnings. But, I'm curious about BH members' own experiences along these line? What did you ultimately decide and on what basis did you make your decision?

Perhaps relevant to all of this is that my wife is approx 3 months pregnant.

Thank you,
DX

I have been a pregnant woman and I am a biomedical researcher very familiar with the effects of toluene and acrylamide. They are Bad Things, BUT they are not particularly potent Bad Things, and the "dose makes the poison" has a lot of truth to it. Again, "do not eat the treadmill" is sound advice ;-)

A non-trivial amount of the volatile compounds that get released with these kinds of products dissipate quite quickly. If you are worried about it, take it out of the box and let it air out in a well ventilated area before use for a day or two (I do this with new shower curtains sometimes, they are very plastic-y smelling and it's an easy precaution).

The health *benefits* from exercising on a treadmill while pregnant almost certainly vastly exceed the health *risks* of exposure to these compounds at the doses you would get.

That said, by 8 months I personally needed an eliptical machine because treadmills were "too bouncy". All else being equal, I would suggest to bogleheads in a similar position that a treadmill is a wise investment for some people, but if you don't *know* what will work for you, it may be worth paying a premium for a nice health club that has a warm swimming pool and elipticals, because these things are really great when you are pregnant.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm

A long time ago, prop 65 was useful in regards to lead paint, some kinds of resins for storage, older building materials used in insulation. These days it is a Joke. This is what happens when a decent enough legislation does not draw the line and there by becomes useless. The bigger problem is people no long read as they have no way to know if it is just coffee or something worse. Furthermore there is no indication of what types of exposure to the element in question causes cancer.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm
That's awesome. Only thing that would have made it better is if the sign were in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I can't even remember how long it's been since I've seen a product of any kind that is not "known to the state of California to cause cancer, etc". It is literally the most meaningless warning in existence.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 pm

MJW wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm
JoMoney wrote:
That's awesome. Only thing that would have made it better is if the sign were in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head.
With three ears :D
Semper Augustus

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Prop 65 is the poster child for bad citizen initiatives. The entrance to Whole Foods has a prop 65 warning.

As long as you use the treadmill as directed and don’t try to eat out or snort it or anything, you should be fine.

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Teague wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 pm
MJW wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm
JoMoney wrote:
With three ears :D
Perfect.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Just stepping into California will get you cancer. Stay out of CA if you ever want to stay away from cancer, especially if you are pregnant.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 pm

It’s a joke

We have a label for prop 65 that basically says “everything in this product could kill you”

Leave it at that.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Darth Xanadu wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am
The listed chemicals were Acrylamide and Toluene.
Chemicals also naturally present in baked goods and perfumes.

Ignore the warning label. Proposition 65 has absolutely nothing to do with safety.

The chemicals on the list are scientifically verified to be linked to cancer, but Proposition 65 is not allowed to provide consideration for whether there is actually any hazard at the levels listed chemicals are present, and if I remember right, even whether you are likely to be exposed to them. If a listed substance is known to be present, you have to issue the warning.
123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm
The warnings are probably beneficial in the long run
I very strongly disagree. Legislating misleading information about risks ingrains opposing tendencies towards complacency or paranoia in different audiences. It will undoubtedly in the long run dilute the recognition of actual risks in the former group, while harming the livelihoods of people who may produce perfectly safe products, but whose jobs are affected by fear in the latter group.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 am

Saliva causes throat cancer. But only when taken in small doses over long periods of time.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm

You are safe unless you live in California where everything causes cancer.

Prop 65 is a great example of the actual effect being completely different than the intent. It was supposed to help consumers make wise choices about safe vs unsafe products. Instead, every single product has the warning label so you end up with no useful information.

The owners manual for my car has the same problem. There are over 70 pages of warnings about safety information. By trying to cover every possible scenario, instead of just the high risk items, they are making it so that nobody even bothers to read that section.