Anyone with an Audi A3, Sport hatchback e-tron?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandi_k

Anyone with an Audi A3, Sport hatchback e-tron?

Post by Sandi_k » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 pm

So, I'm beginning my research for the next car. I make a good living, drive 25k miles per year, and want a plug-in/gas hybrid of some sort. I do NOT like sedans.

Current contenders: Lexus NX300h, and now the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron.

Priorities: 30 mpg, comfort, low noise, reliable. I've driven a Lexus RX 350 for the past 9 years and 230k miles. Didn't like the RAV4 hybrid. Didn't like the Lexus 450h. Hate the looks of the Prius. Don't want all-electric, since we drive to see family at 350 miles away somewhat regularly. Volt has low headroom for rear seat, may be hard for my 81 year old mom to get into.

Does anyone have the A3 e-tron? I've searched, and gotten a lot of A3 commentary, notsomuch commentary on the e-tron.

Thoughts? I'll be going tot he LA Auto Show next month, and looking forward to checking it out. Any other suggestions?

TIA.

randomguy

Re: Anyone with an Audi A3, Sport hatchback e-tron?

Post by randomguy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:43 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 pm
So, I'm beginning my research for the next car. I make a good living, drive 25k miles per year, and want a plug-in/gas hybrid of some sort. I do NOT like sedans.

Current contenders: Lexus NX300h, and now the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron.

Priorities: 30 mpg, comfort, low noise, reliable. I've driven a Lexus RX 350 for the past 9 years and 230k miles. Didn't like the RAV4 hybrid. Didn't like the Lexus 450h. Hate the looks of the Prius. Don't want all-electric, since we drive to see family at 350 miles away somewhat regularly. Volt has low headroom for rear seat, may be hard for my 81 year old mom to get into.

Does anyone have the A3 e-tron? I've searched, and gotten a lot of A3 commentary, notsomuch commentary on the e-tron.

Thoughts? I'll be going tot he LA Auto Show next month, and looking forward to checking it out. Any other suggestions?

TIA.
Lexus UX is the other option that should be out pretty soon. Shares a lot of company DNA though with the cars you don't like.:) Mitsubishi has a plug in hybrid SUV. And it is pretty slim pickings after that unless you are looking at 60k+ cars where volvo and MB have some plug in hybrids. If you can wait a bit the 2019 Rav4 is supposed to be much better than the current model and there is a chance the CRV will have hybrid.

I drove an A3 for years and though it was a great comuter car. But that back seat is much smaller than a prius or RX

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 am

I'll chime in as I got the car over the summer although I leased it. So far I've been fairly happy with the car, however I believe the car is really a niche car. Pros: Handles well with nice hatchback design, interior is very nice and has a luxury feeling, qualifies for the cvrp rebate and the latest carpool sticker (this is one of main factors that led me to settling with the car) Cons: Full EV mode is rather weak with real life range of about only 20 miles on a full charge, acceleration is rather lacking, there is a known issue that the car shakes at times when in EV mode with low charge which I doubt it will be fixed as this is more of a compliance car for Audi.

Based on your comments I could see a couple cons that will apply to you: the backseat is kinda of cramp so not sure if it'll be ideal for your mom as especially if you are tall, Audi has announced that they will no longer have the 2019 version of this car so I would be hesitant to get the car unless its heavily discounted as I could see the support suffering for the car in a few years.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 am

There's also the Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid but that may have a few too many compromises. There's also a Mercedes GLC350e which might give you the comfort and lower noise you are looking for.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am

The e-tron was a flop. Don’t buy that car.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:43 am

Lexus UX is the other option that should be out pretty soon. Shares a lot of company DNA though with the cars you don't like.:) Mitsubishi has a plug in hybrid SUV. And it is pretty slim pickings after that unless you are looking at 60k+ cars where volvo and MB have some plug in hybrids. If you can wait a bit the 2019 Rav4 is supposed to be much better than the current model and there is a chance the CRV will have hybrid.

I drove an A3 for years and though it was a great comuter car. But that back seat is much smaller than a prius or RX
Thanks for the note! Even though I'm on the Club Lexus forum, no one there mentioned the UXh - that's awesome! And due out in December. Very much like what I'm looking for!

Yeah, the front grill is a tragedy, though. :D

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 pm

boogiehead wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:00 am
I'll chime in as I got the car over the summer although I leased it. So far I've been fairly happy with the car, however I believe the car is really a niche car. Pros: Handles well with nice hatchback design, interior is very nice and has a luxury feeling, qualifies for the cvrp rebate and the latest carpool sticker (this is one of main factors that led me to settling with the car) Cons: Full EV mode is rather weak with real life range of about only 20 miles on a full charge, acceleration is rather lacking, there is a known issue that the car shakes at times when in EV mode with low charge which I doubt it will be fixed as this is more of a compliance car for Audi.

Based on your comments I could see a couple cons that will apply to you: the backseat is kinda of cramp so not sure if it'll be ideal for your mom as especially if you are tall, Audi has announced that they will no longer have the 2019 version of this car so I would be hesitant to get the car unless its heavily discounted as I could see the support suffering for the car in a few years.
Thanks - the Edmunds app had noted (end 6/18) but I wasn't sure if that meant they had discontinued it, or were re-tooling for a different model year. Ugh. I would NOT be happy with the shuddering you describe.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:42 am
There's also the Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid but that may have a few too many compromises. There's also a Mercedes GLC350e which might give you the comfort and lower noise you are looking for.
The Kia is on my "check it out" list, but I was hoping there was something with a bit more refinement, thus the post. Thanks!

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

pennylane wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am
Noted. ;)

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm
pennylane wrote:
Noted. ;)
Remember though that e-tron name refers to a number of different Audi electric models. The upcoming e-tron SUV has not been released yet but there is far more excitement for this model (as a Tesla X alternative) than for the A3 e-tron.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 am

ZinCO wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Sandi_k wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm
pennylane wrote:
Noted. ;)
Remember though that e-tron name refers to a number of different Audi electric models. The upcoming e-tron SUV has not been released yet but there is far more excitement for this model (as a Tesla X alternative) than for the A3 e-tron.
Correct, my connection at the dealer level tells me the new e-tron is an absolute hit and they’re all selling for MSRP. I know first hand that we couldn’t give away the e-tron A3. No one wanted it

crit

Post by crit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am

We have had one for 2.5 years now. ~35k miles. We enjoy it a ton.

Our use-case: 6-mile commute up a big long hill. Regular weekend trips and one-car family, so full electric out. Comfort priority high: my bad back, both of us are sensitive to noise. Must fit bike in back (hate racks).

The top competitor for us was an Accord hybrid (we've been Honda people for a long time). In our experience, the Accord was noisy and whiny, and we hated the all-electronic screen. Hybrids don't really help mileage on the hill up to work. Dealbreaker for me was that the back seat didn't fold down due to battery position. The next competitor was to wait for a Model 3, but the price escalation given our 300-mile weekend trips seemed steep. We also considered the Lexus hybrid and Prius, but mileage just isn't that great (mid-30s? srsly?).

After tax credit and all (we bought a dealer demo for a fair discount), and because the Accord hybrid is only available at the highest trim level, the Accord and the e-tron were roughly equivalent in price for us.

We understand that it is a new-ish model, and likely a compliance car. However, 20 years of hybrids/batteries introduction in the mainstream seem to have gone smoothly, very few lemons or bad experiences noted across all brands. We were willing to take the somewhat higher risk here. I'm not sure what the "flop" comment above is based on; I'm interested to hear, if there is information behind it that goes beyond popularity, which doesn't interest me.

Our experience: strongly positive. Daily use is almost entirely electric, it plugs into our 110-V wall socket (I used a 20A breaker). It's nice to end the week with the same full gas tank I started it with. That said, the gas tank is on the small side, we miss the almost 500-mi range of our older car on longer trips. The electric miles do decrease in winter (under about 40 degrees). No noticeable effect of charging on electricity bill. Electric is so, so nice and quiet; and much, much smoother, and did I say quiet, in traffic or stop/go highway traffic. The shaking mentioned above at very-low speed is negligible - it exists, somewhat, but I'm very sensitive to jostling and it gets a shrug from me. Our use-case doesn't include "zoom mode", but the acceleration is well sufficient for mainstream driving. I really like that it's a small car, as I strongly prefer them; it's the wheelbase of a Golf, basically.

Seats are very, very comfortable, as are all VW products. Interior "comfort" is certainly in line with entry-level Audi, and the modern safety features seem in line with most. We like the option to hide the info screen when not in use. All the knobs in the center console seemed overdone at first, but are actually well-done and useful. The backup camera has superb optics, it really beats others I've seen hands-down. We don't use the backseat often, and I wouldn't say it's roomy, but it's sufficient, and also not as difficult to enter/exit as many compact cars are. It fits the bikes in back with the seats folded.

Our purchase of it was almost an accident -- our local dealer had sent their stock to CA, as I guess local interest wasn't high? and it was hard to find one at other dealers ('hard' also includes basic communication issues with sales people, as usual). One sales person at a dealer an hour away drove one out to us to test; she really won that sale, eventually. So depending on where you are, you might be the only person in your radius to have one. But it's a great little car, if it fits your use case; if you can get one of the last ones, I'd do it.

crit

Post by crit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 am

Pennylane, since you seem to have an inside track: do you think it might be possible eventually to swap in a bigger battery, as they become available, to the A3 etron? I read some speculation about that somewhere.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

Not seeing much advantage of this hybrid. Only a 20 mile electric range between charges, but you drive 25k miles per year, so you'll be on gas the vast majority of time....

Imbros

Post by Imbros » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am

Sandi_k wrote:

Priorities: 30 mpg, comfort, low noise, reliable.
Not a plug-in but hybrid, but some Volvos would check your checkboxes. Have you considered a new XC40 or a Certified Pre-owned V60?
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am

Imbros wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am
Sandi_k wrote:

Not a plug-in but hybrid, but some Volvos would check your checkboxes. Have you considered a new XC40 or a Certified Pre-owned V60?
He did have reliable on the list:) If you are willing to relax the gas mileage (i.e. the volvos are above 30 on the highway but well below on combined) there are a bunch of other compace SUVs to look at. Mazda CX5 was the quietest of the ones I test, CRV supposedly gets the best gas mileage.

One car I forgot about is the crosstrek hybrid. It is an A3 sized car. It isn't remotely as well refined. It is supposed to have a plug in version next year.

If you are willing to goused Lexus CT200h is sort of luxury prius though it is a bit smaller. Definitely not a drivers car though.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:56 am

crit wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 am
Pennylane, since you seem to have an inside track: do you think it might be possible eventually to swap in a bigger battery, as they become available, to the A3 etron? I read some speculation about that somewhere.
I doubt this will ever happen for any of the mainline EVs or plug in hybrids. A lot easier to sell you a new car.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:58 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Yeah, the front grill is a tragedy, though. :D
Maybe it looks better in person:) Lexus has very polarizing styling (you either love it or hate it) which seems odd for a car sold to old people who don't care about cars:)

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Since OP is in CA, I'd strongly recommend a plug-in hybrid or even all-electric. The ability to get the HOV sticker is (literally) priceless. And since OP's looking for quiet - an EV (or plug-in hybrid operating on battery) is much quieter than even the quietest gasoline car.

The Volt can be had with all the luxury goodies in its Premier trim and would be a great choice. It looks like a sedan but is actually a hatchback.

The (pure EV) Hyundai Kona Electric has enough range to eliminate range anxiety and has gotten great reviews. It goes on sale early next year I believe.

Imbros

Post by Imbros » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:53 am
Imbros wrote:
Sandi_k wrote:

He did have reliable on the list:) If you are willing to relax the gas mileage (i.e. the volvos are above 30 on the highway but well below on combined) there are a bunch of other compace SUVs to look at. Mazda CX5 was the quietest of the ones I test, CRV supposedly gets the best gas mileage.

One car I forgot about is the crosstrek hybrid. It is an A3 sized car. It isn't remotely as well refined. It is supposed to have a plug in version next year.

If you are willing to goused Lexus CT200h is sort of luxury prius though it is a bit smaller. Definitely not a drivers car though.
For what it is worth, I consider Volvo to be as reliable as Subaru, and I know many other car guys who think the same way.

I don't have any data to back it up, but my gut feeling says a hybrid Subaru would not be nearly as reliable or as refined as a hybrid Lexus or Acura.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:56 pm

My friend has one. I rode in it for about 15 minutes in the passenger seat. I got severe dizziness looking out the windshield from the passenger side. There's something amiss in how the glass is shaped/curved. My friend gets it too, but is OK on driver's side. Her husband does not notice anything.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Imbros wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm

For what it is worth, I consider Volvo to be as reliable as Subaru, and I know many other car guys who think the same way.

I don't have any data to back it up, but my gut feeling says a hybrid Subaru would not be nearly as reliable or as refined as a hybrid Lexus or Acura.
Volvo is in the bottom 3rd of every long term reliability survey for the past half dozen years. Subaru tends to flucate right around the average. Audi reliability has been pretty good decent recently (early 00s was a different story) but obviously you have to look at the specific model. I wouldn't be shocked to learn their hybrids aren't as reliable as everything else they make. Pretty sure Subaru licensed Toyota tech but I have no clue what that mean for reliability. And yes Lexus/Toyota are off in a world by themselves reliability wise. Honda/Accura have had a bunch of recent misteps.

That being said all cars these days are pretty reliable. We are talking about 1 dealer trip versus 3 over 7 years between the top cars and the bottom ones on the list. I would have zero problem owning a Volvo and would be willing to make an extra dealer trip for really nice seats:)

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am
Not seeing much advantage of this hybrid. Only a 20 mile electric range between charges, but you drive 25k miles per year, so you'll be on gas the vast majority of time....
Yep, but note that my current ride gets 21 mpg. So my gas use would still be drastically decreased if I got something that averaged 30 mpg. But I *also* want range for the long weekend trips we have, which means an all-EV won't work.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Imbros wrote:
Sandi_k wrote:

Not willing to buy Volvo now that it's owned by Geeli, a-wholly owned Chinese company.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Sandi_k wrote:

Imbros wrote:
randomguy wrote:
He did have reliable on the list:)
He's a she. ;)
randomguy wrote:
If you are willing to relax the gas mileage (i.e. the volvos are above 30 on the highway but well below on combined) there are a bunch of other compace SUVs to look at. Mazda CX5 was the quietest of the ones I test, CRV supposedly gets the best gas mileage.
The CX-5 is rated at 25/31 - and I encouraged my sister (and then my mom) to buy one 3 years ago. So it doesn't meet my mileage needs, AND my mom drives one. ;)

The CR-V is rated at 26/32. The HR-V is rated at 28/34, so closer.
randomguy wrote:
My previous car was a Legacy wagon. AWD on Subaru really drives down the mileage. Currently, the Crosstrek is rated at 23/29, so it doesn't meet my mileage threshold.
randomguy wrote:
The CT200h is smaller, and low to the ground - not good for my 81 year old mother to get in and out of...So nope. That's why I am excited at the suggestion of the Lexus UX-h. I prefer something that has a higher ground clearance.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Since OP is in CA, I'd strongly recommend a plug-in hybrid or even all-electric. The ability to get the HOV sticker is (literally) priceless. And since OP's looking for quiet - an EV (or plug-in hybrid operating on battery) is much quieter than even the quietest gasoline car.
My husband has a Bolt. I don't want all-electric, I need to have a range that will allow for a 6 hour drive weekend trip to see family, which we do regularly. Note that I already said I'd looked at the Volt - it's back seat is compromised, and the headroom is insufficient. Both of those comments were in the OP - so why you'd recommend a car I'd already explicitly said I didn't want is a little...weird.
02nz wrote:
The Volt can be had with all the luxury goodies in its Premier trim and would be a great choice. It looks like a sedan but is actually a hatchback.
Yes, it is, but a badly-designed one. ;)
02nz wrote:
The (pure EV) Hyundai Kona Electric has enough range to eliminate range anxiety and has gotten great reviews. It goes on sale early next year I believe.
Again, I do not want an EV.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Sandi_k wrote:

Imbros wrote:
randomguy wrote:
He did have reliable on the list:)
He's a she. ;)
randomguy wrote:
If you are willing to relax the gas mileage (i.e. the volvos are above 30 on the highway but well below on combined) there are a bunch of other compace SUVs to look at. Mazda CX5 was the quietest of the ones I test, CRV supposedly gets the best gas mileage.
The CX-5 is rated at 25/31 - and I encouraged my sister (and then my mom) to buy one 3 years ago. So it doesn't meet my mileage needs, AND my mom drives one. ;)

The CR-V is rated at 26/32. The HR-V is rated at 28/34, so closer.
randomguy wrote:
My previous car was a Legacy wagon. AWD on Subaru really drives down the mileage. Currently, the Crosstrek is rated at 23/29, so it doesn't meet my mileage threshold.
randomguy wrote:
If you are willing to go used Lexus CT200h is sort of luxury prius though it is a bit smaller. Definitely not a drivers car though.
The CT200h is smaller, and low to the ground - not good for my 81 year old mother to get in and out of...So nope. That's why I am excited at the suggestion of the Lexus UX-h. I prefer something that has a higher ground clearance.
Actually looks like the Crosstrek hybrid (30/34) was discontinued a couple years back. If you can wait a couple months: https://insideevs.com/2019-subaru-cross ... hev-range/ . Again I doubt this car is going to be very luxurious.

I mentioned it before but the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is one of the few actually shipping CUVs. Depending where you live (I think it might only be sold in compliance states. Needs dealer to me is about 45 miles so I never really considered it), that might be an interesting choice. Mitsubishi is sort of an odd car company in the US with relatively small sales

It is amazing there aren't more hybrid and Plug ins for the compact SUV market (i.e. the hottest segment in the market right now). There are a ton on the coming soon list but actually shipping is a very small list.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:19 pm
Imbros wrote:
Sandi_k wrote:

Not willing to buy Volvo now that it's owned by Geeli, a-wholly owned Chinese company.
Volvo is more Swedish now, than when Ford owned them. Geely has been nothing but great for Volvo.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am

But I *also* want range for the long weekend trips we have, which means an all-EV won't work.
Tesla fits that bill (with supercharging).

But you've made clear that you don't want an EV. My question is really, why do you want a hybrid, unless you get a car pool sticker? The savings in gas is minuscule relative to the increased purchase price.

Imbros

Post by Imbros » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

RootSki wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 am
Sandi_k wrote:
Imbros wrote:
Sandi_k wrote:

Volvo is more Swedish now, than when Ford owned them. Geely has been nothing but great for Volvo.
I agree with this statement. Ford and GM did nothing good for the Swedish brands they owned back then. Volvo is starting the new S60 sedan production in the U.S this year (South Carolina I believe).

Also, I personally would not take any surveys seriously (including CR) that puts Audi and/or VW above Volvo.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Imbros wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

I agree with this statement. Ford and GM did nothing good for the Swedish brands they owned back then. Volvo is starting the new S60 sedan production in the U.S this year (South Carolina I believe).

Also, I personally would not take any surveys seriously (including CR) that puts Audi and/or VW above Volvo.
Any reason other than audi quality was piss poor in the early 00s and volvo reliability in the 80s was pretty good? Granted the data is far from ideal and often the differences are minor that ordinal ranking makes seem big (difference between 5th and 15h seems huge. Difference between a 70 and a 65, not so muhc).

On topic wise. if things like the Lexus CT200 are too low slung, I think you will find the A3 to be similarly close to the ground. It is a pretty low slung wagon.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am
But I *also* want range for the long weekend trips we have, which means an all-EV won't work.

But you've made clear that you don't want an EV. My question is really, why do you want a hybrid, unless you get a car pool sticker? The savings in gas is minuscule relative to the increased purchase price.
It isn't a huge saving but most hybrids pencil out as saving you 2-3k dollars (including higher purchase price) over 230k miles (i.e. what the OP drove her last car).
Simple example. A Rav4 gets gets 26. The hybrid gets 32.
Rav4 gas: 25 mpg: 230k/25= 9200 gallons of gas*3/gallon = 27.65k
Rave4 hybrid: 230/32= 7187*3= 21.5k

6k of savings for a 3.5k more expensive model. Works out about the same at lower mileage when the gas saving is slower but the resale price is higher. Now we aren't talking huge chunks of money but if all things are equal, I like having 2k more:) Obivously if gas drops back from a bit over 3 to 2 bucks the math changes. Or if it goes to 4.:)

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:32 pm

randomguy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Big Dog wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am

It isn't a huge saving but most hybrids pencil out as saving you 2-3k dollars (including higher purchase price) over 230k miles (i.e. what the OP drove her last car).
Simple example. A Rav4 gets gets 26. The hybrid gets 32.
Rav4 gas: 25 mpg: 230k/25= 9200 gallons of gas*3/gallon = 27.65k
Rave4 hybrid: 230/32= 7187*3= 21.5k

6k of savings for a 3.5k more expensive model. Works out about the same at lower mileage when the gas saving is slower but the resale price is higher. Now we aren't talking huge chunks of money but if all things are equal, I like having 2k more:) Obivously if gas drops back from a bit over 3 to 2 bucks the math changes. Or if it goes to 4.:)
A Tesla Model 3 is $50k with the bigger battery. A Lexus 300h is $42k, and I don't have to stop in Coalinga to charge up while I eat an overpriced lunch.

And note that in California, gas is very close to (or over) $4 per gallon, depending on grade. My current car gets 21 mpg, with supreme gas. The UXh is rated at 36 mpg, and uses regular unleaded, 87 octane.

25,000/21 mpg = 1190 gallons purchased, at $4 per gallon for premium. That's $4762 per year.
25,000/36 mpg = 695 gallons purchased, at $3.60 per gallon for regular. That's $2500 per year.

So I'd save $2300 per year, for 9 years. Total saved is $20,700 over 9 years.

I'm OK with a standard hybrid.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm

RootSki wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 am
Sandi_k wrote:
Imbros wrote:
Sandi_k wrote:

I'm avoiding the political details here, per forum policy. Let's just leave it at I'm fine with supporting the US and Sweden. I'm not fine with supporting China and Sweden.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

And note that in California, gas is very close to (or over) $4 per gallon, depending on grade. My current car gets 21 mpg, with supreme gas. The UXh is rated at 36 mpg, and uses regular unleaded, 87 octane.

25,000/21 mpg = 1190 gallons purchased, at $4 per gallon for premium. That's $4762 per year.
25,000/36 mpg = 695 gallons purchased, at $3.60 per gallon for regular. That's $2500 per year.
Not trying to argue, but just recommend that you check the math against your driving needs. You posted that you drive 25k miles per year, but what does comprise? A bunch of short daily trips where you could charge frequently (and save even more $ when you top off electrons), or several long trips each month, say for business where you have to drive 200 miles in a day (mostly with gas).

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

deleting dupe post, sry

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Not trying to argue, but just recommend that you check the math against your driving needs. You posted that you drive 25k miles per year, but what does comprise? A bunch of short daily trips where you could charge frequently (and save even more $ when you top off electrons), or several long trips each month, say for business where you have to drive 200 miles in a day (mostly with gas).
My commute is a minimum of 100 miles per day, round trip.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

The fair comparison isn't between what you have and the hybrid. Your comparison is between what else you can buy. For example buy the gas UX powered version and assume you get EPA average miles

25000/33= 757*3.60 = 2727

Note the Lexus numbers have the UXH at 38
25k/38=657*3.60 =2368

Thats a 350/year savings and they hybrid has a 2k higher MSRP. Your breakeven is in about 6 years. It should be pointed out that the hybrid sounds like a nicer car also being .5s faster (I find that 9s 0-60 feels slow while 8 is ok for my driving habits so th UX is right on the edge) and type of AWD.