EFTPS® vs. Direct Pay what's difference? Which one should I use for Roth conversion tax payment?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
seekzz

EFTPS® vs. Direct Pay what's difference? Which one should I use for Roth conversion tax payment?

Post by seekzz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm new retiree and thinking of doing partial Roth conversion for a few (8-10) yrs till RMD hits. I'd really appreciate your advices on the best ways to handle the related tax issues.
Thanks in advance.
seekzz :happy

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: EFTPS® vs. Direct Pay what's difference? Which one should I use for Roth conversion tax payment?

Post by nisiprius » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm

I think ETFPS is an older system that is being superseded by Direct Pay. I can tell you from personal experience that they don't have access to the same records, Direct Pay only knows about payments you've made through Direct Pay and ETFPS only knows about payments made through ETFPS, which can be a nuisance.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

b4real

Re: EFTPS® vs. Direct Pay what's difference? Which one should I use for Roth conversion tax payment?

Post by b4real » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Since retiring a few years ago, I've used EFTPS to schedule the year's estimated tax payments after filing taxes in April. When I looked into using Direct Pay or EFTPs, Direct Pay did not allow scheduling future payments. I don't know if that's still the case. EFTPS has worked well for me.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

According to Direct Pay Help | Internal Revenue Service,
Yes. While you can use either [Direct Pay or EFTPS] to make individual tax payments online, IRS Direct Pay doesn't require a registration process.
We actually prefer EFTPS because it has our bank account information so we don't have to re-enter it each time, but that's a matter of taste.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm

If your credit is frozen, you won't be able to use the Direct Pay. So, it will be a pain to have to unfreeze and refreeze every time.

nbseer

Post by nbseer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Have been using EFTPS.. so far working well in scheduling future tax payments.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm
If your credit is frozen, you won't be able to use the Direct Pay. So, it will be a pain to have to unfreeze and refreeze every time.
I have my credit frozen and I've had no issue with Direct Pay.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:03 am

southerndoc wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm
I have my credit frozen and I've had no issue with Direct Pay.
You are right, Doc. I confused Direct Pay with online tax transcript.

Let me restate myself: if your credit is frozen, you cannot pull a tax transcript online.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am

nbseer wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm
Have been using EFTPS.. so far working well in scheduling future tax payments.
+1
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 am

EFTPS is good for recurring payments

DIrect Pay is good for occasional payments.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 am

I love EFTPS to schedule out the entire year, AND give me the ability to cancel / change future payments.

I hate how my state's system is apparently like Direct Pay, can't schedule anything. I have to put on my calendar to log in and make payments.