Where can I go to print a very high-quality book?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

Where can I go to print a very high-quality book?

Post by Caduceus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Two libraries have asked me to make copies of some genealogical research I've done for them, which I will have to print out in book form. I'd like it to be on archival quality paper, with bindings/glue/materials that will last for as long as possible within a library setting. I am also giving them a digital version of it, but I think paper copies are superior in some ways.

Do you have any recommendations?

4nursebee

Re: Where can I go to print a very high-quality book?

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Yes, it seems the library staff would be a good place to start.

Across the street from The Alamo was a rare book or book restoration place.

Search in larger cities near you for bookbinders

Fedex/Kinkos
Last edited by 4nursebee on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4nursebee

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm
They don't have any recommendations actually. They accept books but don't print out any stuff. People rarely print and bind books except on a large-scale commercial basis, I am guessing. And some of these places aren't conservation/archival focused.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm
4nursebee wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm
They don't have any recommendations actually. They accept books but don't print out any stuff. People rarely print and bind books except on a large-scale commercial basis, I am guessing. And some of these places aren't conservation/archival focused.
The idea for a library comes from rare book collections that periodically have to be repaired, restored. Perhaps try a larger library, perhaps at university?
4nursebee

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm

4nursebee

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:23 pm

A google search yielded numerous local selections, but I’m sure that online services exist for this type of project. If you live near a relatively urban area, it is likely that you will find one. Otherwise, you should investigate online services.

Did you want anecdotal recounts on services rendered or a referral for a specific company?
Frugality, indexing, time.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Google search. - printing a few copies of a book

Gives quite a few interesting links. Take a look. At least one review.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:34 pm

A friend publishes art books. For DIY jobs, she recommends these guys: https://artisancraftsmanbooks.com

Not cheap, but probably what you’re looking for. Maybe more than you’re looking for.

MJS

Post by MJS » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Bookmobile does archival printing and binding. https://www.bookmobile.com/book-product ... l-quality/

Art quality printing and binding - hand tooled leather, rag paper - tend to be done by different craftspeople. Talk to the binders first, to see if they have particular size issues and for printer recommendations.

money_bunny

Post by money_bunny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:04 pm

My friends doctoral thesis for CUNY needed to have three or maybe 4 copies exactly as you describe on archival paper. I think the binding was simpler than you want though. Apparently they save them all and put them on a shelf somewhere.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:41 pm

money_bunny wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:04 pm
My friends doctoral thesis for CUNY needed to have three or maybe 4 copies exactly as you describe on archival paper. I think the binding was simpler than you want though. Apparently they save them all and put them on a shelf somewhere.
Back in the day I had to have a thesis submitted on 100% rag heavier than normal paper. They were OK with a xerox copy onto the rag paper.

I kept one unbound copy with the idea I would get it bound someday. Never did. The pages still look great however.

I supervised students up until a couple years ago, and I don't actually know if the university still requires submission of paper copies.

One thing that helps books to last for a long time...is if they are not used much at all. Happens a lot.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:39 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 pm
Google search. - printing a few copies of a book

Gives quite a few interesting links. Take a look. At least one review.
For example, a couple of years ago I was at the famous Powell’s bookstore in Portland and saw that they had an Espresso Book Machine that lets you easily self-publish books or create books for out of print books if you have the pdf (I assume their copyright has expired).

Not sure about the quality (quick google leads me to believe it isn’t bad).

Skierajs

Post by Skierajs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 am

https://blurb.com is one of the larger ones with decent online tools and a variety of printing options.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:14 am

I don't know if universities still keep printed versions either, but when they did, they generally all had a printing service which could handle the printing and binding of archival copies of theses and dissertations. I don't remember the details, because they could take care of all the details. I think they would do a special high quality run once a week at a big university. And the Kinko's nearest to campus could do similar things cheaper but less often or with a longer lead time. I think that was the reason most people had the on-campus services do the official copy.
Actually, any printing place or OfficeDepot/Max or Staples could probably take an order for an off-site job for printing on acid-free paper with "library binding". Lots of people write family histories that they want printed this way.