New job concerns

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
lateregistration

New job concerns

Post by lateregistration » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am

I started a new job two weeks ago and have a few concerns, and I was hoping to get some advice on options for addressing these concerns. Heading in to the job, I was assured by HR, my manager, and the VP of my department that there would be schedule flexibility. I’m commuting via train and have an hour ride each way. Although I had reservations about the commute, the significant increase in salary and better job fit made the decision to accept the job much easier. More importantly, I was told that I could work from home once per week and my departure time on other days would be flexible. Based on the train schedule, I’ve been taking a 7:15 to work each morning and then a 4:30 home. What I learned during my first week was that my department is an outlier in the company. Most departments work 9-5, but ours is 9-6. The nature of the work also sometimes requires people to stay a bit later. This wasn’t made clear to me during the interview process. In fact, it was just the opposite: everyone I spoke to talked about flexibility. Now, I don’t think they were necessarily untruthful. I’ve already seen colleagues work from home, come in early/leave earlier, but it’s becoming apparent it’s not a standing arrangement. Between the interview process and my start date, two team members left the company and I’m not sure if they’re being replaced. We also have new client business that is increasing the workload. I spoke to a few colleagues yesterday and they joked that I’d soon be joining them in working later. I had an informal discussion with my manager too and she seemed to allude to the same thing. With the train commute, that would make for extremely long days.

So, here I am. To be clear, I really like the new job, the nature of the work, and my colleagues. I’m not unhappy about accepting the offer. However, I do feel slightly naive about accepting everything at face value and relying on what I was told to be accurate. The question now is how to address my concerns. I can be transparent with my manager and reiterate that I need more flexibility, but then I look like I’m not a team player. I can stick it out, try to piece together flexibility where I can take it, and then maybe try to transfer internally to another department. I can also consider moving closer to work, which would mitigate a lot of the concerns with the commute. The downside is cost. Housing will be much more expensive and I’ll lose a lot of the benefit of the salary increase. My last resort would be to immediately start looking for a new job. My concern with that is obvious: a short stint that would require an explanation and look bad on my resume. I can demonstrate that I’m consistent and reliable, as my last job was a 5+ year stretch and the one prior to that was 3 years, but it’s still not ideal to leave so quickly.

I have a formal touch base meeting with my manager on Monday. What would be your suggestions for bringing up my concerns?
Last edited by lateregistration on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: New job concerns

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 am

You are making a huge deal out of a relatively minor issue.

Tell your manager your train times (that are non-negotiable) and say you are happy to get any work done remotely as necessary. If your manager is not ok with that that’s her problem not yours. I doubt many in person meetings get scheduled after 4pm...

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am

This may not be a minor issue, but you need to give it some time to see how it works out. I am not sure what type of position you have, but many professional positions are expected to work extra hours as needed. This is something you should have asked about during the interview. The fact they allow you to take 430pm train when hours are 9 to 6 shows their flexibility. My caution is to not make this too much of an issue during meeting with boss but it is fine to ask questions. Time will tell how much of an issue this becomes.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 am

I think you need to take them at their word during the interviews and continue your current schedule. Work at home after you get home, if necessary. Get the work done, but do it in the style you envisioned doing it before you joined based on your interviews.

If they feel you aren't contributing equally, they'll let you know, at which point you can discuss what you were led to believe during the interviews regarding your schedule and commute. In other words, let them make it an issue if it is one.

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am

Some good suggestions above, but I'll offer this: I think we often have the tendency to overstate how important the "this will look bad on my resume" thing. I once took a job for the opportunity to relocate to the area I knew I wanted to settle. I was aware the job would be a challenge, and much like your situation, the management that I interviewed with and worked for were untruthful about the job I took. They essentially lied about it eventually transforming into a role that better fit my skill set and professional qualifications. So, I took the job, moved, started work, and I was cooked. I got zero training running this complex business that I had no idea how to run. I was in over my head. I was drowning and had to get out. I lasted barely six months. I took a 20% pay cut and accepted a job that was essentially stress free.

Guess what? Literally nobody has asked me about this "blip" on my resume. I now work in a field very closely related to that old, terrible job. My current boss worked for that same employer once, and expressed her understanding about how bad it must have been. She agreed with my decision to leave after six months!

I'm not saying this is how it always works out; it isn't. But I am saying that your personal happiness (and spending hours on a train coupled with working longer hours than I'd been promised would make me unhappy) is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than some stupid job. There are plenty of jobs, you've got once chance to enjoy them.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am

I don't think you've been there long enough to understand if there is a cyclical nature to the work.

Almost all jobs have busy periods and slower periods. You just went through a month end (last week of the previous month, first week of the next month.

Are you hourly or salaried? What do you take for a lunch hour? If you arrive at 8:30 and leave at 4:00 or 4:15 to get to the train, that isn't even 40 hours. It will all be what your boss thinks and what you will allow yourself to do. I work with people who take advantage of the system. They roll in at 9:20 take a long lunch and then roll out at 4:30. They are not putting in 40 hours even. I know it. My boss knows it. It is outside my control, so I pretty much ignore it.

It isn't much of a win in my book if you train home for 1 hour and then have 2 more hours of work when at home. I wouldn't sign up for a 2 hour commute, but I understand that there are places where that is a regular commute.

I would at least get through a month or 2 and see if there are busy and slow periods. Taking a new job always entails risk. Good luck!
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am

lateregistration wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am
Based on the train schedule, I’ve been taking a 7:15 to work each morning and then a 4:30 home. .... 9-5, but ours is 9-6.
With the hour commute does that mean that you are in only in the office from about 8:30 AM until 4:15 PM ?

If so then that does not seem like a very long work day even if you only take a short lunch break. It could be that taking those trains is not realistic and you will need change your schedule.

Before I retired I worked in IT and working extra hours when there was a problem or occasional crunch was normal and part of the job. If your job is something like that then one option would be to take the 4:30 train home then work from home for a while when you get home when there is a real problem.

One time I took a job where I knew the company had a lot of problems related to what I would be doing and part of my job would be to fix those problems. After I had been in the job a few weeks it was clear that they really didn't want to address the problems, they just wanted to have someone to constantly firefight the problems and not to actually fix them. After trying to get that changed I gave up and started looking for a new job and left when I had a new job about three months after I started.

That was never a problem in future job interviews because I could explain how the job was different than what I interviewed for and how I had tried to address the situation. I can remember interviewers also sort of nodding and agreeing that some companies were like that. That was also a one time blip on my resume so it was not a problem.

One risk is that if you stay there for a year and run into problems with the job and get fired or have bad reviews then that could look a lot worse for your career than leaving after a short time.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 am

this is all jobs, they will say whatever it takes to get you to take the job, once you accept it, you are stuck. They know likely you wont go back to prior employer as they are mad you are leaving and they know it looks bad to job hop so you are likely stuck there for a year. I would talk to manager and explain that you are a team player, but you have a long commute, and you were promised a flexible schedule, which means you cannot be staying til 6 consistently, and then whatever she says, you are stuck with. And she may say I am sorry that is true for the company as a whole but our department has different demands and we cannot allow the same flexibility as others have, and then you are stuck.

I have had almost every single job I have taken lie about a major issue that would have affected either my negotiations, or even taking the offer, but those are the risks with taking a new job, the unknown.....

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 am

As far as changing jobs after a short tenure at your current job, the marketplace will tell you if you are trying to switch too soon.

Meaning that you won’t get interviews if managers feel you are a job hopper.

If they see your current situation as just a blip, then you will get interviews.

If you are really concerned that the work schedule at your current job is going to be a problem, then you have nothing to lose by looking.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 am

I would avoid discussing this with anyone higher up. Just stick to your regular schedule . If anyone asks you to stay late, say you can't. Let that person complain to your boss and then your boss can talk to you..

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am

When they spoke about flexibility, I doubt they meant you leaving at 4:15pm every day for the duration of your employment.

You also need to be flexible. Sometimes I guess that means working until 6pm. I would agree that working until 6pm every day would be different from what you were led to believe while interviewing.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:20 am

greg24 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am
When they spoke about flexibility, I doubt they meant you leaving at 4:15pm every day for the duration of your employment.

You also need to be flexible. Sometimes I guess that means working until 6pm. I would agree that working until 6pm every day would be different from what you were led to believe while interviewing.
8:15-4:15, if you don't take a lunch, is a reasonable workday if you've made it clear your commutes are a problem before the hire and if you're also catching up on things after hours at home.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am

The great thing is that you have the job market working in your favor. If you are unhappy or feel you were misled you can look for other opportunities.

You also have the higher salary to negotiate with.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 am
You are making a huge deal out of a relatively minor issue.

Tell your manager your train times (that are non-negotiable) and say you are happy to get any work done remotely as necessary. If your manager is not ok with that that’s her problem not yours. I doubt many in person meetings get scheduled after 4pm...
Giving the boss a remote work ultimatum, especially during his new hire probationary period is a great way to get fired. I'd be careful.

Watty wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am
lateregistration wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am
Based on the train schedule, I’ve been taking a 7:15 to work each morning and then a 4:30 home. .... 9-5, but ours is 9-6.
With the hour commute does that mean that you are in only in the office from about 8:30 AM until 4:15 PM ?

If so then that does not seem like a very long work day even if you only take a short lunch break. It could be that taking those trains is not realistic and you will need change your schedule.
Agreed. I go home at 4... but I am at my desk no later than 7:00-7:30am every morning. Someday I take a full lunch, some days I dont, some I work right though. Bottom line is I put in enough hours so if I occasionally need to leave earlier for an appointment, etc its no big deal.

OP:
You do need to discuss this with your boss, but I would be careful how you do so. I would not make ultimatums, and I would not request anything just on the basis of 'general inconvenience.' What I would do is mention the promise of flexibility from the hiring team, highlight any specific time constraints based on trains, child care, etc... and make them a proposal that still gets all the required work done and your 40 hours put in.. The suggestion above to offer some after hours telecommuting - if that works for your role - is a a good compromise idea.

They may or may not go for it. If they say no, then the ball is in your court to either grin and bear it, or look for other opportunities.
Last edited by jharkin on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 am

As others are stating, what kind of a work-week are you putting in?

A 7:15 train that arrives at 8:15 (if on time) gets you at your desk at what, 8:30? Then you take a 4:30 train so you have to leave at 4:15?

8:30 - 4:15 is 7 hours and 45 minutes if you worked all of it. 9 - 5 is an 8 hour workday. There should be a lunch in there, probably 30 minutes. So, if you eat in 15 minutes, you're putting in a 9-5 day. If you need to be putting in a 9 hour day then you need to figure out how to get another hour in, whether it be working on the train or from home at night.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:38 am

You mentioned your manager alluded to you starting to work later. During the meeting, I would let her bring it up first.

To prepare, make a list of things you can do on the train or at home. Then be willing to negotiate in good faith. Maybe there are 1-3 days you could stay and take a later train. Maybe you could work late Wednesday but then work from home Thursday. But since you generally like the job and it's a step up in pay, you may need to put in more work hours than you were originally planning.

It sounds like the culture is 'flexible as needed' where people can occasionally leave early to see a kids school event or go to the doctor, vs your thinking of 'fixed flexible' where you can pick your own work hours for the week and stick to that.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:40 am

maybe another issue, is the famous, you have to earn it. So maybe people who have been there a year can have flexibility, but not new guy off the street, who has to "prove him/her self" first, then you earn the flexibility. It isn't fair and I cant start the life isn't fair nonsense, but I have seen this who you need to prove yourself thing at some jobs....

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am

I agree with the posts that you need to also be flexible. I had a similar situation with a long commute for about 8 years. Here’s what I did; when there was extra work I came in even earlier as opposed to staying late. In this way I still had my evenings. When I did that I made sure to answer some emails so folks knew I was in the office. Another thing I did was to do some work from home on occasion. Lastly, eat lunch at your desk. And do not miss any deadlines.

Best of luck.

stats99

Post by stats99 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:06 pm

"flexible"...that meant YOU had to be flexible.

yohac

Post by yohac » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Right, "flexible" means you are free to leave a 6, 7 OR 8...

I quit a job after five months. Never even put it on my resume, and the small time gap never came up. There's no law that says you have to include every single place you ever got a paycheck.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am
When I discuss something with a work colleague, they often hear something very different from what I thought I was saying. I speculate that is what happened in this circumstance, where the manager/HR/VP heard "flexibility" and thought of an occasional work from home day, or leaving early occasionally, but not an every day arrangement like you thought you were proposing.

I agree that you need to discuss this with your boss, but to do it in a careful way. Assume good faith from your management chain and try to work together to balance your work and home life. If there is a hard requirement like a child care pickup, be clear about that, but don't issue ultimatums either.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Is it possible to work on the train while commuting? You can add 2 hours to your work day without affecting personal life.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 pm

If it's showing itself to be a potential hell-hole (lies, longer hours than expected, etc.), get out now.

To paraphrase a movie tag line, "In hell, no one can hear you scream."
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

lateregistration

Post by lateregistration » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Lots of good questions/advice, so I’ll address the questions.

It’s a salaried position. The company’s “standard” schedule is 9-5 with a 1 hour lunch. In effect, that makes it a 7 hour “working” day. My department apparently operates differently (9-6), which I wasn’t told during the hiring process. I do get in at 8:30 and leave between 4:15-4:20. I do not take anything close to a “lunch.” It’s usually a quick run for coffee (10-15 minutes) and then I eat my prepared food from home at my desk. I was supposed to get a laptop right after starting, but that hasn’t happened. I can absolutely put an extra hour or two in at home most nights. I’ve alluded to that already, but I get the impression that they physically want me there to supervise the nightly closing activities. Just a read based on some of my manager’s comments and the feedback I got from a few other members of the department.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Personally my own morals about work is that I do not want to let my immediate colleagues or customers down. If there is an all-hands-on-deck moment I don't want to be the person refusing to help unless it's really beyond my control. I feel like appeasing my manager is second to that and it's worked for me in my career so far.

I would be flexible and change your train schedule on occasion when needed to be a team player, but do it for your teammates not necessarily your manager. Personally I do not work a ton of extra hours but I will often login in the evenings and do some innovation/automation/refactoring work that is not a business priority but is valuable to the team or interesting to me personally. IT is a field that you have to put in some extra work to keep up though.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 pm

In my previous job, there was nothing wrong with working regular 8-5. It just meant that you would be at a disadvantage for promotions and raises as others who do come in early and stay late will "seem" to look more dedicated than you even if they don't actually do more work. HR told me it was a 40 hour work week and it really was. But it's 50 hours if you want to get ahead.

In my current job, working more than 8-5 gives you little advantage as few here do it. I'm glad my previous job was early career when I was young and single and could put in extra hours on a whim. Now that I am married with children, I am unlikely to put up with that kind showmanship.

Two weeks is probably too short a time for you determine which kind of work place it is. Since you still like it there, I'd stick around at least a year or after your 1st performance review to be sure.

cantos

Post by cantos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 pm

I have the pleasure of taking a view contrary to most here. Work the hours you want to work. Get the results you need to get. I have never worked for face time or put in more hours than I want. I have been let go once. Maybe that was the reason, maybe not. I am one of those where ""self care" isn't really an issue, I take lots of time off! And am healthier, happier, and better off for it. I see it the same way I see relationships. Either I am accepted for me or I am not. In my experience my spectacular results keep me employed. I may never be exec level, but neither do I want to put in exec time.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah, this type of thing has happened to me, and I suspect it is pretty common. You're aware they're selling you on the company, and you expect them to perform some window-dressing with regard to benefits and work-life. You aren't dumb, but they wind up "working" you literally and figuratively.

Once you're in the door, magically the business changes and you're in the OT zone. They make extra requests of your time, here and there; you feel you've signed up to work for them of your own free will.

They've essentially gotten your foot in the door, and your first impulse will be to channel your superior sense of morals into actions that you believe are consistent and committed to the company you work for. You might even be coming here to this website to seek confirmation you've made the right choice in your new job.

I would suggest your impulse to take the high road might be misleading, and you might be more successful taking the low road. If you call in sick, take vacation, work from home more than you planned, what are they going to do? They've just lost two people, so I'd suggest it's the kind of place with heavy turnover; i.e. one where you've got the ability to channel some "ironic" job security. If they catch you slacking off, you could just point out that work-life is something you'd discussed prior to accepting the job, and turn their trick back onto them.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Just an opinion based on what it looks like to me -- which may not at all be what it actually is.

There's staff in place that stays late. Two members just quit or were fired or retired. That places more stress on the team. The manager is presumably under stress too.

The perception of a newbie waltzing onto the scene and getting special privileges while the others sacrifice sounds like trouble. It may be that the manager cannot afford to lose you -- (s)he just lost two. So you may be able, at least temporarily to get special privileges if you look like a flight risk if you son't get what you want. Among the dangers in this, assuming this happens, is the way your co-workers will feel about you.

My suggestion would be to talk with the manager and see what is expected of you (IN THE CONTEXT OF THE NEEDS OF THE DEPARTMENT). Make no demands unless what is asked is extremely difficult for you. Do your best for now to be perceived as a team player including working onsite beyond your desires. And start looking elsewhere, as discretely as possible. Unemployment is low now. Take advantage by finding other, more suitable work while the sun shines. If things work out where you are now, then stop looking elsewhere.

The bottom line is this - - managers and co-workers want to know that you have their back. And you certainly want them to have yours. Where you are now looks perilous to me. Again, I could be badly misreading the situation.

Best wishes.

lateregistration

Post by lateregistration » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Here’s the update: my gut told me the best way to handle it was to say nothing this week and arrive/leave at the same times and wait to see what the response was. By Wednesday, my manager brought it up. She relayed a story about something that occurred the prior evening after I left and said something to the effect of, “I know you were gone. I do think you’ll want to think about staying later so that you don’t miss these things.” I offered a non-response, neither committing to doing so nor saying I couldn’t. Today, she was more direct and asked if I would commit to staying later next week. We had already planned to meet on Monday, so she mentioned that she wanted to “discuss in more detail” then. I have still not been given a laptop. If I had one, I would happily put in time after I got home and on weekends.

Bottom line: I don’t have a great feeling. I think I was misled, but that’s on me to an extent too. As many of us have learned, it’s always best to plan for the worst and operate from that standpoint. Although many departments have the type of schedule I was expecting, mine may simply not be one of them. Going to try to take the weekend to think about how I want to handle this.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:25 pm

My gut feel is that you are not handling this well.

You should have already talked to your manager and either come to agreement of if you could not agree then you should have voluntarily left right away if that is an option for you or you should be working the extra hours they want while you look for another job.

Leaving a job voluntarily after a short time can usually be explained OK, getting fired after a short time in a new job could put you in a bad position.

lateregistration

Post by lateregistration » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:25 pm
My gut feel is that you are not handling this well.

You should have already talked to your manager and either come to agreement of if you could not agree then you should have voluntarily left right away if that is an option for you or you should be working the extra hours they want while you look for another job.

Leaving a job voluntarily after a short time can usually be explained OK, getting fired after a short time in a new job could put you in a bad position.
I don’t disagree. I’m not incredibly pleased with how I’m handling it either. However, I’m trying to cut myself some slack: it’s a brand new situation, I left a comfort zone of 5+ years, I’ve been thrown into a tough job with a lot of responsibilities, and I had no up front evidence that this would be an issue. I interviewed at many places and I declined offers when the hiring managers honestly answered me about schedule expectations and flexibility regarding remote work. I didn’t jump into this and make up my mind that I’d make my own schedule and have no regard for my new employer. And, no, I do not plan to puff my chest out and get fired because I refuse to budge. Point taken. I will suck it up, be strategic about using PTO, ask for an occasional early departure, and start looking for a new job.

dcw213

Post by dcw213 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 pm

It's not clear what you do, and I'm generally one to side with at will employees over the expectations of employers as loyalty has broken down...however, a 4:15 departure would never be allowed in anywhere I have worked (perhaps unless a a 7am arrival).

Unless you made the hours very specific during the interview I feel it might be tough to fall back on "I asked for flexibility". Usually that means the freedom to occasionally mix things up, not a standard short work day. My thoughts are that you dont have that solid a case, but by all means look for something more accommodating to your needs.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 am

The first few months at a new job are when reputations are made. What do you want your reputation to be?

"I really don't care 'cause the job bites" is a reasonable response, and one I've used, but if you either want or need this job then my only suggestion is to play the game. At a new role my default position is work the average hours, and then some. Flexibility can certainly come with time but from your boss's perspective how is it perceived that one person is leaving at 4:15? Is it an outlier or a normal situation?

Best of luck,

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 am

A 1 hour commute via train seems perfectly reasonable to me, I do that (or sometimes a bit more) every day. Use train time to do work if you can. (Ask the boss for a nice laptop and noise cancelling headphones.)

Having a day to work from home is a great thing, few employers will offer that for fewer positions. That is remarkable flexibility and a huge concession that you should keep at all costs. If I was given that each week, I would gladly work longer days (e.g. 7:15 train out and 5:45 train home) the other four. In any event, working 9:00 - 6:00 is the norm in for-profit business, except where that business requires different hours. Lawyers and people in finance often work 9:00 - 7:00 or the equivalent. If you want to work less, work in non-profit, government, or union job, for less money. Actually I do that and I still have to stick to a 9:00 - 5:00 schedule, occasionally putting in more hours if needed.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 am

I have a flexible schedule, involving compressed work hours and telecommuting. My schedule has been approved by top management, and I'm the only one in the entire unit with this schedule. One issue is that multiple coworkers have asked for similar accommodations. In the OP's case, I suspect the OP's manager had a different definition of "flexible" and doesn't want OP's coworkers to start asking about leaving work at 4:15 pm.

Livehard1234

Post by Livehard1234 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 am

I run a large team and am a big proponent of flexibility. To me, that means team members can work from home, take vacation as needed, and come and go as necessary to fulfill their life commitments, with one big caveat. They are expected to do whatever it takes to meet our goals and deadlines. For some weeks that’s means working very late with partner teams in the office, getting up at 6 am (or earlier) for calls with India, or working weekends to finish a proposal. I hire people I trust, set very high standards, and then give them flexibility to decide how to meet them. I would never employ someone who has no flexibility to stay past 4 pm and is OK with letting the rest of the team down (while expecting them to pickup the slack).

With this said, I employ very highly paid knowledge workers, so your job and expectations may be different.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm

At your meeting Monday you need to be very clear about the hours you need. Don’t beat around the bush.

“As I think I mentioned during the interview process, I have a very long commute. I thought that being available at my desk from 8:30-4:15 was sufficient, and again, I am happy to check in the evening for further work.”

If that’s not ok with your manager, then you need to either resign then and there and offer two more weeks on your own schedule (“It sounds like this position isn’t a fit for me, and That I’m unable to meet your needs, so please consider this my two weeks notice. I’ll be happy to continue my current schedule of 8:3-4:15 through December 3”), work the hours they want while you immediately look for a new job (“Thank you for clearly outlining your expectations of my work hours; this wasn’t the impression that I got from interviews so I’m glad we’ve had an opportunity to discuss this and I will talk with my family about how best to meet your expectations”), or suck it up (“so sorry for the confusion: I’ll adjust my schedule immediately.”)

Basically you need to call the bluff or fold.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:39 pm

A salaried job with hours of 8:30 to 4:15? Sign me up. Sounds like fantasy land.

blevine

Post by blevine » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 pm

There is doing the minimum required, and there is doing more. As a long time manager, when I had to decide on layoffs, raises, bonuses, these issues affected my thinking. Those who had long commutes and made it my problem, I made it there problem. Those who went above and beyond got the raises, promotions, avoided layoffs.

Do what it takes to get ahead, or accept the consequences.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm

OP,

If I were the manager I will not consider this favourably. As an employee you should be flexible.

Option 1. You did not get your timings approved before accepting the offer. Your long commute means zero to the company. Move near work to solve this problem.

Option 2. Look for a new job; dont worry about how this will look on your resume.

I will take option 1 if everything else is fine. Dont create unnecessary stress by sticking to 1 hour commute timings and being rigid.