VTSAX VS FSKAX [Vanguard vs. Fidelity Total Stock Market]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Musigny

VTSAX VS FSKAX [Vanguard vs. Fidelity Total Stock Market]

Post by Musigny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Newbie here.

I need some help comparing funds. Fidelity now has an expense ratio of 0.015% on FSKAX. Vanguard is at 0.04% on VTSAX. Both are total market funds. How can U decide which is the better deal? On $500k, the Fidelity fund costs $75 per year while the Vanguard costs $200. What is the best way to compare the two?

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... ndex-funds

Thank you!

BoglePaul

Re: VTSAX VS FSKAX [Vanguard vs. Fidelity Total Stock Market]

Post by BoglePaul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

What is the rate on the Fidelity money market and what is the rate on the Vanguard money market? How much do the fees cost for $500k?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 pm

I have both, not sure if the 0.025% makes any real difference. What may matter more is whether you like Fidelity or Vanguard better.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Musigny wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm
Newbie here.

I need some help comparing funds. Fidelity now has an expense ratio of 0.015% on FSKAX. Vanguard is at 0.04% on VTSAX. Both are total market funds. How can U decide which is the better deal? On $500k, the Fidelity fund costs $75 per year while the Vanguard costs $200. What is the best way to compare the two?

Thank you!
Musigny:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Simplicity is much more important than saving $125 on a $500,000 investment. Both funds are excellent. Select the fund in the company that is most convenient for you.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 pm

In a taxable account, use the Vanguard fund (or an ETF, not necessarily Vanguard's; there are several total-market ETFs). Fidelity's fund will probably generate some taxable capital gains; Vanguard's fund, with an ETF class, won't.

In an IRA, what matters is whether you prefer to hold the IRA with Vanguard or Fidelity, for reasons such as convenience with the rest of your investments.
Wiki David Grabiner

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Musigny wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm
Newbie here.

Thank you!
I own both funds (FSKAX in a Fido workplace 403(b) account, VTSAX across several Vanguard accounts). Fidelity customer service has been phenomenal to work with in dealing with all the nuances with 403(b) transfers, and their IT is generally more reliable. I did find there was one evening last week where I had 503 errors logging into my Fido workplace account, though.

Vanguard funds are generally on the more tax efficient side and generally have a wealth of options (I would argue too many options) that are low cost as a whole. Are you looking at investing all $500k in a taxable account and don't plan on being a frequent trader? If so, Vanguard would be an excellent choice.

-TheDDC

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 pm

I own both funds (FSKAX in a Fido workplace 403(b) account, VTSAX across several Vanguard accounts). Fidelity customer service has been phenomenal to work with in dealing with all the nuances with 403(b) transfers, and their IT is generally more reliable. I did find there was one evening last week where I had 503 errors logging into my Fido workplace account, though
Sounds like someone was trying to hack into your account. Have you changed your password yet?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 pm

radiowave wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 pm
I own both funds (FSKAX in a Fido workplace 403(b) account, VTSAX across several Vanguard accounts). Fidelity customer service has been phenomenal to work with in dealing with all the nuances with 403(b) transfers, and their IT is generally more reliable. I did find there was one evening last week where I had 503 errors logging into my Fido workplace account, though
Sounds like someone was trying to hack into your account. Have you changed your password yet?
A 503 error means an overloaded or otherwise temporarily unusable server, not a permission error.
Wiki David Grabiner