What's everyone currently in?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
zonto

Re: What's everyone currently in?

Post by zonto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm
zonto wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Same thing I was yesterday and the day before and the day before...
  • 21% total U.S. market index
  • 7% small cap (S&P small cap 600)
  • 7% U.S. REIT and real estate index
  • 28% total international market index
  • 7% international REIT and real estate index
  • 20% total U.S. bond index
  • 10% total international bond index (USD hedged)
Next time the US is in an official bear market, I'll reduce the bond allocation by 10%. If the S&P500 drops more than 30% from peak, then I'll go 100% equities. International officially entered "bear" territory yesterday, and I've been using most new contributions for international equities this year.
Impressive. How can I learn on how to diversify like that? When and when to allocate and which funds to choose?
Apologies for the slow reply. Here is my rationale for my portfolio:
  • Most important decision is your stock/bond allocation. I took Vanguard's investment questionnaire years ago and got a recommendation for 80/20, which felt too aggressive to me. 60/40 felt too conservative given I'm a young accumulator, so I went with 70/30 (approximately age in bonds).
  • Vanguard recommends 30% of one's bond allocation be in international bonds, hedged to the U.S. dollar. See Global fixed income: Considerations for U.S. investors and Going global with bonds: The benefits of a more global fixed income allocation. I decided to do this, but rounded to 33% of bonds (10% of portfolio) to keep things even.
  • The next most important decision in my opinion is what percentage of equities to allocate to international stocks. Vanguard recommends 40% (source), and global market cap has ranged from 45% to 55% US in the last 10 years or so. I decided to do 50% US / 50% international to split the difference.
  • I originally started out using just the total market indices, but as I continued to research I learned that historically adding REITs to a portfolio has been beneficial due to their low(er) correlation with the broader market. Interestingly, I found that their correlation with the broader market decreased over longer periods of time. See: REIT Stocks: An Underutilized Portfolio Diversifier and The Role of REITs for Long-Term Investors. My question was how much to add in REITs. I ran a couple efficient frontier analyses of US and foreign REITs vs. the applicable broad market index, and saw that even though the periods measured were different, the "optimal" allocation to REITs was approximately 20%. See: PV U.S. REIT and broad market analysis; and PV int'l RE and broad market analysis. Of course that could change over time, but I felt comfortable allocating 20% of equities to REITs and real estate indices.
  • The last addition was the slice to U.S. small caps. This was motivated by long-term historical returns of the asset class and the S&P Small Cap 600 index. Again, not wanting to deviate too far from the broad market, I decided 20% of U.S. equities was a reasonable allocation to U.S. small caps, and liked the diversification away from the technology sector that provided. I would not have added this slice had I not used a fund that tracked that S&P index as other "small cap" indices include quite a few midcaps.
The allocations I provided are current as I'm keeping a 70/30 portfolio. More broadly, the rules are:
  • ~2/3 of bonds in total U.S. bond indices and ~1/3 of bonds in total int'l indices (USD-hedged)
  • 50% of equities in international stocks
  • 20% of equities in broad REIT / real estate indices
  • 20% of U.S. equities in small cap
  • Remainder of equities in broad market indices
I've toyed with mirroring the small cap allocation with international stocks, but see more of the "midcap" problem I mentioned above with Vanguard's small cap offering (~50% in midcap): http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=VSS. I'd also have to hold such a slice in my taxable account, and it is less tax efficient than the broad market index.
“Diversification is about accepting good enough while missing out on great but avoiding terrible.” - Ben Carlson

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm

1/3 S&P 500
1/3 S&P 400
1/3 S&P 600

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:56 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm
Toons wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:18 pm
Index funds
Some managed funds
Some individual equities.
Bond Funds
Years and Years.
:happy
Ditto.
Same but no Individual stocks.

:sharebeer
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 pm

401(k) is 100% Vanguard Target 2035

457 is:

40% Fidelity Total Market
20% T. Rowe Price Growth Stock
15% Harbor International
20% Frost Total Bond
5% Stable Value Fund

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 pm

zonto wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Same thing I was yesterday and the day before and the day before...
  • 21% total U.S. market index
  • 7% small cap (S&P small cap 600)
  • 7% U.S. REIT and real estate index
  • 28% total international market index
  • 7% international REIT and real estate index
  • 20% total U.S. bond index
  • 10% total international bond index (USD hedged)
Next time the US is in an official bear market, I'll reduce the bond allocation by 10%. If the S&P500 drops more than 30% from peak, then I'll go 100% equities. International officially entered "bear" territory yesterday, and I've been using most new contributions for international equities this year.
Just out of curiosity what small cap are you using? I punted back to iShares IJS ETF a couple of years ago because most "small cap" funds are really "mid cap" funds in drag.

My hot mess:

Fidelity IRA:
  • 40% Fidelity Total MKT Index Premium CL (FSTVX)
  • 10% IShares S&P SmallCap 600 Value ETF (IJS)
  • 10% Fidelity MSCI Real Estate Index ETF (FREL)
  • 30% Fidelity Total Intl Index Premium CL (FTIPX)
  • 10% Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium CL (FSITX)
Vanguard IRA:
  • 60% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral (VTSAX)
  • 30% Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral (VTIAX)
  • 10% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral (VBTLX)
Fidelity Roth:
  • Hot mess of dividend stocks I'm still sorting out.

EDIT:
And I forgot my company stock plan and my 401(k) which is just a single target 2045 date fund.

zonto

Post by zonto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 pm
Just out of curiosity what small cap are you using? I punted back to iShares IJS ETF a couple of years ago because most "small cap" funds are really "mid cap" funds in drag.
I use Vanguard Tax Managed Small Cap (VTMSX) in my taxable account as I prefer mutual funds.
“Diversification is about accepting good enough while missing out on great but avoiding terrible.” - Ben Carlson

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 pm

My signature provides a good overview. The (DFA) tilted stock portions are mature and would be difficult to change, and as a retiree I like short-term fixed income. I don't pay any operational attention or respond to the markets regarding volatility, etc. I'm already set up to survive (I think).

The large value and small caps were my first (advisor-determined, lump sum) investments and the (Vanguard) total market portion only grew over the years from my workplace contributions.

Pretty much, I've settled into merely adjusting very slightly back to world equity proportions while I'm moving my RMD in December. Otherwise, I only make changes in my fixed income assets--as the yield curve changes.
Preferred AA: Total US and foreign stock markets and short-term Treasury fixed income

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 am

Mainly indexed, however also have individual stocks and a managed fund.

Total Stock Index
Int'l Index
Total Bond Index
VG ST Investment Grade Bond
cash
REIT Index
individual stocks

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 am

zonto wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 pm
I use Vanguard Tax Managed Small Cap (VTMSX) in my taxable account as I prefer mutual funds.

Thanks! I haven't seen that one before I'll have to check it out.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:38 am

For 13 years of retirement, about 60% in stock funds and 40% in bond funds.
The stock funds are tilted away from cap weighted Large Growth exposure by owning equal slices of several different funds.

columbia

Post by columbia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 am

Vanguard 500
Global Wellington
Global Wellesley
TIAA Traditional

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
My Roth is all equities. Total investments are 60/40 overall, which is as usual and planned to be for life. I would never touch what we have because of "volatility", or any other market behavior that I can imagine. (Exceptions being re-balancing if/when my stocks exceed 65%, and tax loss harvesting if the chance comes.)
JW
Retired at Last

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:
Hi everyone I'm just curious with all the volatility in the market right now what's everyone currently invested in?

I have my Roth IRA with VTI, BND, VXUS which is very basic I haven't touched it in years but with all this volatility I'm thinking I may want to.
Zeusy Zeus:

You are invested in The Three-Fund Portfolio which is ideal. If you are concerned about "volatility," exchange some of your stocks for bonds.

In a bad bear market, you should expect your portfolio to decline one-half its stock allocation. Example: A 60% stock/40% bond portfolio should be expected to decline at least 30%.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

puravida

Post by puravida » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Semi-retired working part-time and spouse still working (any new 401k deductions go automatically into Total Stock fund).
Following the Boglehead philosophy, 3-fund portfolio, 65/35 AA, staying the course, so no need to make any changes.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...

3funder

Post by 3funder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:08 pm

magicrat wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm
Zeusy Zeus wrote:

Total US Stock, Total Intl Stock, Total Bond

What changes would you make and why?
+1

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 pm

I've got target funds in retirement accounts, taxable is an 80/20 split of VTSAX/VTIAX. Technically a 3 fund portfolio.

grettman

Post by grettman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm

I am 90 percent equities. Mostly C fund in my TSP and VTI.

WonderingDope

Post by WonderingDope » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm

14.40% VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Adm Shares (in various IRAs)
23.52% various S&P 500 Index Funds (in 401Ks)
06.45% various Mid Cap Equity Index Funds (in 401Ks)
44.37% US Stocks

19.03% VTIAX Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Fund Adm Shares (in various IRAs)
19.03% International Stocks

09.24% VBTLX Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Adm Shares (in various IRAs)
05.32% VTABX Vanguard Total Intl Bond Index Fund Adm Shares (in a rollover IRA)
14.29% Fixed Income/Stable Value Fund specific to 401K plan (currently paying 3%)
07.74% Cash (Emergency Fund in online savings account)
36.59 Fixed Income

EfficientInvestor

Post by EfficientInvestor » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 pm

My retirement account is an 80/20 mix with stocks split among various growth sectors such as tech, biotech, and consumer cyclical. The bond portion is in extended duration treasury. The logic is I want to be in the stocks that do the best when stocks are doing the best and be in the bonds that do the best when bonds are doing the best. Volatile pieces individually, but fairly good and stable returns as a whole.

My taxable account is a diversified leveraged ETF portfolio consisting of the funds shown below. I assume most Bogleheads will disapprove, but my research (30 year backtest) shows that a diversified portfolio of leveraged etfs performs quite well over the long term, despite the daily resetting of leverage.

TQQQ (Nasdaq 3X) - 15%
RETL (Retail 3X) - 10%
LABU (Biotech 3X) - 10%
DRN (REIT 3X) - 15%
TMF (20 yr treasury 3X) - 40%
UGLD (Gold 3X) - 10%

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Roth:

VFIFX "Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund" (90% stocks, 10% bonds)

And I maintain a little bit of VTSMX "Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares" just to push my stock holding % up a little bit. I think I'm at about 92/8 right now with 30 years to go. I think about going 100% stocks sometimes.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm in the same portfolio I was when it was doing well and same as it was when it is doing bad (like now).

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

firegooner

Post by firegooner » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm

TSP:
100% L2050 fund

Roth IRA:
100% VFFVX

Taxable account:
60% ITOT
40% IXUS

Last time I did the math my overall AA was 88/12 with international making up 36% of equities.

BlackHat

Post by BlackHat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:39 pm

I'm 100% in VTSAX.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 pm

I didn't change a thing, and I keep doing my bi-weekly investments. I look at the stock market with a slightly interested eye, but so far it hasn't fazed me at all.

Retirement (supposed to be in the 80/20 range)
401(k) : 100% target date fund. Not sure what the actual repartition is because they changed it and are being strangely secretive about the details, but it's a customized Blackrock Lifepath Retirement 2040.

Non-Retirement (48% US Stocks - 12% Intl Stocks - 40% US Bonds)
Taxable: VTSAX - VTIAX - VWITX
Roth IRA : VBTLX

Other
HSA : 25% Cash - 45% Wellington - 30% Vanguard Small Caps
Fun money : a few individual stocks, totaling less than $5k
Cash Savings (not EF) : mid-5 figures waiting to be invested in January

Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm

First 2 are in a 403(b). Best available choices.
Everything else is in Vanguard IRAs and taxable account.

30% State Street S&P 500 Index Fund
10% TIAA-CREF International Equity Index Fund

33% Vanguard Wellesley
10% Vanguard International Growth
5% Vanguard International Explorer
5% Vanguard S&P 600 Small Cap
7% Individual Stocks

Overall roughly 80/20 Stocks/Bonds. Stocks are roughly 2/3 Domestic & 1/3 International; 80/10/10 Large/Mid/Small Cap.

Took me a while to get to this point, but now I sleep well, cannot come up with an allocation I like better, and am able to follow the advice of "don't do something, just stand there." The individual stocks are a few companies I plan to hold for decades. Will be interesting to see in a few decades whether I beat the S&P with those or not.

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 am

Total stock market (403b, roth, taxable)
Cash

I sleep pretty well...

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 am

Stocks / Bonds: 75 / 25
World Stocks / US Stocks : 67 / 33

The stock split was influenced by the following research:

https://finpage.blog/2017/03/18/investi ... rld-part-1
https://finpage.blog/2017/03/25/investi ... rld-part-2
https://finpage.blog/2017/03/25/investi ... rld-part-3

I implement using a total US stock fund (eg VTI) and a total Intl stock fund (eg VXUS).

For bonds, I use total US bond market + IBonds. I buy the maximum allotment of IBonds every year.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:22 am

Vanguard Primecap Core (this fund is ~12% international)
Vanguard Tax-Exempt Intermediate Term

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:

Same as the last few years: Index funds, a couple of active funds, some individual tickers, and gold ETF.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 am

Vanguard Wellesley
1.5 years cash
30K muni CEF's VMO and VKQ bought in the last two weeks

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:42 am

Zeusy Zeus wrote:

Hold tight.

Hodl as they say in bitcoin trading ;-).

This volatility is as nothing compared to what happens when it gets really hairy. Volatility has been very low by historic standards.

The geopolitical environment is fetid and that tends to raise the stress level - background radiation.

Taylor Larrimore is right - stocks can drop 50%. Bonds can drop 10% (US Treasury bonds). Bear markets can be short and violent (2008-09) or long and painful (2000-03) grinds (1968-1980 was even more so).

I would not touch your allocation. WIth the exception that if your forsee a need for funds within the next 5 years, you should hold more bonds.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am
Zeusy Zeus wrote:

Zeusy Zeus:

You are invested in The Three-Fund Portfolio which is ideal. If you are concerned about "volatility," exchange some of your stocks for bonds.

In a bad bear market, you should expect your portfolio to decline one-half its stock allocation. Example: A 60% stock/40% bond portfolio should be expected to decline at least 30%.

Best wishes.
Taylor
This is, as ever, excellent observation and advice.

I would add that when interest rates are low and thus bond yields low (as they were going into 1994) you can see US Treasuries drop 10%. Other bonds might drop more. US Long Treasury dropped over 20% but most people are not simply exposed to the 30 year US Treasury bond, but hold an index fund with a much shorter duration.

So the perfect storm of bonds down 10% and stocks down 50% is more than possible. Likely? That is unclear. But definitely possible. When Paul Volker did the vertical takeoff on interest rates 1979-1981 there were some moments when both the US stock market and the US Treasury bond market were down double digits, I believe (higher coupons then meant that the total return for US Treasury bonds was not so ugly).

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 am

Balanced funds + TIPS fund. Retired.

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 am

52% US, mostly index funds and two legacy stocks that I won't sell because I don't want to pay the capital gains.
13% International index funds
35 % US Bond funds

This is my asset allocation. I won't change anything because of current market conditions.
Best wishes.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:02 am

I have a "three-fund portfolio" of sorts. My 401k is 100% Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth, my Roth IRA is 100% Vanguard Target Date 2025, and my taxable is 100% Vanguard 500. All together they stay close to my targets of 80/20 US/Int. and 80/20 stock/bond.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am

magicrat wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm
Zeusy Zeus wrote:

Total US Stock, Total Intl Stock, Total Bond

What changes would you make and why?
+1

MnD

Post by MnD » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Sorted by value highest to lowest......

G Fund Government Securities
I Fund International Stock Index
C Fund Common Stock Index
S Fund Small Cap Stock Index
Schwab Emerging Markets Equity ETF™
Dodge & Cox Global Bond Fund
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund
Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares
Vanguard Small-Cap Value Index Fund ETF Shares
Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund
Dodge & Cox Income Fund
Vanguard Total World Stock Index Fund ETF Shares
Schwab International Small-Cap Equity ETF™
Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index Fund ETF Shares
SPDR® S&P International Small Cap ETF
Privately held company ESOP shares
Cash
National Oilwell Varco Inc

wander

Post by wander » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

I am in stocks and bonds, just like previous years. No change.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Asset Allocation

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Bogleheads:

Our stock/bond allocation is more important than any single mutual fund.

It is this allocation, more than anything else, that determines our expected return and expected risk.

Best wishes

Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm

All in the vanguard balanced index fund. I didn't change a thing nor should I.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Vtsax,Vmmxx,Vwiax,Vmatx plus bank Cds and Mm account.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Stay the course!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

97trophy

Post by 97trophy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:17 pm

10% BRKB
90% SPY

We have rentals too.

Beensabu

Post by Beensabu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 pm

15.5 US Large Cap, 11 US Mid Cap, 18 Int'l Large Cap, 10 Int'l Small/Mid Cap, 8 US REIT, 16.5 USAggBnd, 21 cash. All index funds. Contributions currently 60 USAggBond, 20 Int'l Large Cap, 20 US REIT.

Aim to keep it around 60-65% stock with about 55 US / 45 Int'l and ~40% of each mid cap. ~10% of equities REIT. Cash is EF. Low NW, so it's all whatever and building good habits of sticking around this allocation I settled into after fiddling for a bit.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."