Thoughts on the New Macbook Air?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Thoughts on the New Macbook Air?

Post by abuss368 »

I thought a couple of years ago Apple was planning to make a 15" MacBook Air?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 pm I thought a couple of years ago Apple was planning to make a 15" MacBook Air?
I think that was a rumor. Apple seems to generate a lot of supposedly good rumors which never come true.

A 15 inch screen would compete with MacBook Pro and go against the low power consumption the MacBook Air is known for.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:09 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:01 pm I thought a couple of years ago Apple was planning to make a 15" MacBook Air?
I think that was a rumor. Apple seems to generate a lot of supposedly good rumors which never come true.

A 15 inch screen would compete with MacBook Pro and go against the low power consumption the MacBook Air is known for.
Let’s be honest. Apple offers 3 laptops in the same size and price range for no reason whatsoever.

I’m much more intrigued by the 11” iPad Pro. Drooling for one of them but at $1340 for the iPad + case + pencil it’s a big purchase.
Leif

Post by Leif »

PFInterest wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:51 pm
Leif wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am I'm hoping I can get 8 years of service out of my MacBook Pro 2014 like you did on your 2010. Perhaps longer with SSD instead of a magnetic based drive.
didnt the 2014 mbp all have ssds?
Yes, I have SSD (256 GB), mid 2014 MBP. Perhaps you misread my post. I was just saying because I have SSD I may expect a longer life then the OP with HDD at 8 years.
Leif

Post by Leif »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 pm It hurts my eyes to stare at an obviously inferior screen (non-retina) and it's easily worth $0.02/minute not to. Used Pro or 12 is ok with me, just has to have retina display now.
I'm surprised so many are so strong on the retina display. Although I ended up with a MBP with Retina, the Retina was not a selling factor for me. I went to Apple (4 years ago) and placed the two screens side-by-side. I went to several website. I really could not tell any difference. I went to NY Times with all the small fonts, no difference.

I always thought it was hilarious when Apple, at the time, would use a software magnifying glass to demonstrate the difference between the two. As if we all used magnifying glasses when we browse the internet! Basically admitting that the difference was minor.

I remember way back, I think in the early 80s, I had an IBM color monitor with CGA (320 x 200). Now that hurt my eyes.
revert

Post by revert »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 am I'm not a techie - I was (sorta) 25 years ago, but now I'm just a consumer. So, I have no idea where these CPUs fall on the power-continuum, and for what kinds of applications they may fall short. I assume they must fall short at some point, or this new computer will cannibalize sales of the higher-end Macbook Pros.
The model line is a little confusing at the low end right now. There are four relevant classes: the 12" Macbook, the 13" Macbook Air, the 13" Macbook Pro without touchbar (marketed as the "two thunderbolt port" model), and the various 13/15" Macbook Pros with touchbars.

The 12" Macbook is too small and too underpowered for most people. It only has a single USB-C port, and it's fairly expensive. If size is the most important factor, it's the best option. For most people it makes too many compromises. It uses the most power efficient 5W CPUs.

The 13" Macbook Air uses a newer CPU in the same class as the 12" Macbook. It's a 7W CPU, larger form factor (so more battery), two USB-C ports. It's slightly more powerful than the 12" Macbook, slightly less powerful than the 13" Macbook Pro without touchbar, and significantly less powerful than the rest of the Macbook Pros with touchbar. However, CPU isn't everything - the disk/memory are excellent, so unless you know you're doing something intensive (eg. programming, photoshop etc) I think this is a great machine.

The 13" Macbook Pro without touchbar is an odd duck. It's a Pro in name and styling, but it's _much_ more similar to an Air. For the past couple of years I think they were trying to position this as the new 13" Air, but it wasn't getting enough traction. It uses a 15W CPU, so is similarly long on battery life and lower on power. The keyboards on these are notoriously unreliable, but you can also get them fairly frequently for $200-400 off. They're decent; the keyboard and lack of touchid is why the 13" Air wins out in my book.

The 13" and 15" Macbook Pros with touchbars is when the actual power user line starts. These are using full 30W CPUs. If you're doing serious work, this is the model line to dig into. If you're primarily doing web browsing, watching videos, etc. I'd decide between the previous three models.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

too pricey and not enough storage for my personal needs.
MacBook Air has been that under $1k apple laptop. now it's $1199 to start? I could see $1099 but a $200 jump is too much.
and 128gb is not much at all.

lastly, I think the keyboards were much better years ago.
Apple hasn't done much since Steve Jobs passing except raise prices and move away from everything I loved about them.
That's ok though, saves me money!
Light weight baby!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have a MacBook Pro and while it is simply the best laptop I have ever owned, Ia m on the fence if I would buy another again as it is very pricey. Perhaps I will go to a desktop and use my iPad.

What would be ideal is the iPad eventually becomes a complete replacement for a laptop and computer. I would love the day where I can plug (if we choose) an iPad into a Apple monitor and keyboard/mouse if we wanted and then be able to take a iPad with us.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

revert wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm The 13" Macbook Pro without touchbar is an odd duck. It's a Pro in name and styling, but it's _much_ more similar to an Air. For the past couple of years I think they were trying to position this as the new 13" Air, but it wasn't getting enough traction. It uses a 15W CPU, so is similarly long on battery life and lower on power. The keyboards on these are notoriously unreliable, but you can also get them fairly frequently for $200-400 off. They're decent; the keyboard and lack of touchid is why the 13" Air wins out in my book.
i believe the keyboard on the new MBA are the same as the MBP now.
revert

Post by revert »

PFInterest wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:51 pm i believe the keyboard on the new MBA are the same as the MBP now.
The keyboard on the MBA and 2018 MBP with touchbar are the same (3rd gen butterfly), but unfortunately the MBP without touchbar wasn't updated and still uses the less reliable, noisier 2nd gen butterfly.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Leif wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:41 pm
inbox788 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 pm It hurts my eyes to stare at an obviously inferior screen (non-retina) and it's easily worth $0.02/minute not to. Used Pro or 12 is ok with me, just has to have retina display now.
I'm surprised so many are so strong on the retina display. Although I ended up with a MBP with Retina, the Retina was not a selling factor for me. I went to Apple (4 years ago) and placed the two screens side-by-side. I went to several website. I really could not tell any difference. I went to NY Times with all the small fonts, no difference.

I always thought it was hilarious when Apple, at the time, would use a software magnifying glass to demonstrate the difference between the two. As if we all used magnifying glasses when we browse the internet! Basically admitting that the difference was minor.

I remember way back, I think in the early 80s, I had an IBM color monitor with CGA (320 x 200). Now that hurt my eyes.
I think that was also the resolution of the Commodore 64, and it's making a comeback. https://www.amazon.com/C64-Mini-not-mac ... B07GMV1X1K
These resolutions might be popular with the Minecraft crowd.

When the Retina HD displays came out, the cost was excessive and we were doing less visual work. Now the cost differential is small, and it makes a bigger difference with photos, videos, etc. and the improved text is a nice bonus. If you amortize the cost over 5 years or more, it's not very expensive. It's been a while since the 2-3 year upgrade cycle was vogue. FWIW, I can tell the difference over the older non retina displays. Now 4k vs 1080, I don't know.
revert wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pmThe model line is a little confusing at the low end right now.
Thanks for the summary of the different competing models. Without the HD/retina display, the Air was a misfit in the line with lower cost, yet some other advantages. Now it's fairly straightforward tradeoffs weight and power consumption vs performance and cost.

I think they have too many steps, and while I have not compared them in regular usage, not enough performance difference from what I can tell. But they difference between a 12" vs 13" screen isn't so great anymore. Many people found 11" too small, but less at 12". It's all a matter of whether you value 1" of screen or 3/4 pounds more. While the Air is very light, I'd have to seriously consider the 12". The 11" Air was a little too small, but the superlightweight 12" might just be the happy medium for me to take on the move.

I hope Apple goes back to the Steve Jobs days. Choices were so much simpler. Basically what color iMac do you want?

https://www.businessinsider.com/chart-t ... le-2011-10

https://512pixels.net/2012/12/imac/
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Thank you for all these great observations/suggestions. Guess I'd better try out that butterfly keyboard - not sure I've ever experienced that. As far as ports go, I need two for daily use - one for stand-alone keyboard, one for external monitor. Can the new Macbook Air handle that?
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

simplesimon wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:07 pm I, too, have a 2010 MBP and upgraded the RAM to 8gb a couple of years ago. I'm thinking about upgrading the RAM again to 16gb, adding a SSD, and replacing the battery.

How easy is it to switch the HD to SSD and swapping the battery? The Amazon reviews for batteries don't look too promising. Anybody have any luck with that?
Honestly, I'd replace a 2010 MBP. I have not compared it to the new macbook air, but my guess the new one would be better than the old. Apart from all those handy ports. I'm not sure how much more it would cost. But you'd be starting from something newer. Not 8 years old.

I recently replaced my old 2010 15" mbp with a 13" touch bar MBP. It was not cheap, and I paid extra for 16GB RAM and 512G SSD. I expect it will last me 3-8 years. I'm OK with the smaller screen for the lighter weight.

I'm not sure I'd put money in an 8 year old computer. YMMV
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
longleaf

Post by longleaf »

canderson wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:35 am Before you buy go type on the keyboard.

These new butterfly keyboards from Apple are borderline unusable and it infuriates me.
+1
Frugality, indexing, time.
revert

Post by revert »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am As far as ports go, I need two for daily use - one for stand-alone keyboard, one for external monitor. Can the new Macbook Air handle that?
Yes, but it will require adapters. :(

The Air has two USB-C ports - for your use, it sounds like you'll need one USB-C for charging, a USB-A for your keyboard (guessing), and likely HDMI for your monitor. The official adapter you'd need is the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter", retails for $69. You can find similar third-party adapters in the $30-60 range, often marketed as USB-C hubs.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am Thank you for all these great observations/suggestions. Guess I'd better try out that butterfly keyboard - not sure I've ever experienced that. As far as ports go, I need two for daily use - one for stand-alone keyboard, one for external monitor. Can the new Macbook Air handle that?
i think so. You might have to buy a dongle
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

You don’t need to buy dongles, but just USB-c to [whatever] cables. They are permanent and work well, and if you get them off eBay or Monoprice they’re super cheap. I’ve been using MacBook Pros for 3+ years and USB-C is absolutely an improvement over the old days.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

If you use the laptop primarily with a full size USB or bluetooth wireless keyboard and an external monitor the butterfly mechanism may be less of an issue. I was never a fan of the keyboard on my 2013 11" MacBook Air that I'm looking to replace within a few months (frequent spinning beach balls and battery swelling).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
onourway

Post by onourway »

You can also look as the need for 'dongles' as an opportunity for improvement. You can now purchase anything from an inexpensive hub, a full fledged usb-c or Thunderbolt 3 docking station, or even a new USB-c monitor and have a single cable provide data, monitor connection, plus additional usb ports. Then you can 'dock' via the connection of a single cable, and leave your Apple-supplied power adapter in your bag.

If you don't need the full power of a Thunderbolt 3 dock, I would suggest the Caldigit USB-C dock which is about $130 but includes many more ports than the Apple adapter, and its own power supply.
jdilla1107

Post by jdilla1107 »

The 2018 macbook air and the 2017 macbook pro are almost the same machine in terms of CPU performance. Here are some benchmarks showing this:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/01/macbook- ... h-results/

You would not be able to perceive these differences.

The 2017 macbook pro is slightly better performance with somewhat worse battery performance. The macbook air has a more modern processor. The 2018 macbook pro has a quad core processor, but is around $500 more expensive.

I am buying the new Macbook Air to replace my 2012 macbook air.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 am Thank you for all these great observations/suggestions. Guess I'd better try out that butterfly keyboard - not sure I've ever experienced that. As far as ports go, I need two for daily use - one for stand-alone keyboard, one for external monitor. Can the new Macbook Air handle that?
I'd suggest a wireless bluetooth keyboard. Saves you the use of a port and eliminates a wire.
I haven't looked at any specific ones myself, but there are many choices. Besides wireless, do you need solar charging? Illuminated backlighting? Full size? Number pad? Here's an idea.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireles ... 004MF11MU/
After reading some of the the reviews, it might not be a good choice.
Here is another one who's brand is less known that's less costly but gets better reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/d/Computer-Keybo ... B00X5P8BJO