H&R Block 2018 Tax Software Deluxe $18.00 - Black Friday sale

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

H&R Block 2018 Tax Software Deluxe $18.00 - Black Friday sale

Post by LadyGeek »

[Black Friday sale is $18.00 - see Page 3 --LadyGeek]

Since I purchased the 2017 version of H&R Block tax software, I just received an email with a link to pre-order the 2018 version for $29.95. The "full" price is $54.95, so this is $25 off for ordering early.

The 2018 software is estimated to be released and available for download on 11/9/18.

There is one upsell - Unless you pay $5.99 for the "Extended Download Service", you'll only have a 60 day window to download the software. :annoyed

Other than last year's unacceptably long delay to get the tax planning feature added, I had no major issues with the software.

Are there any other on-going deals for tax software? So far, $29.95 is a really good price.

Last year's thread: H&R Block 2017 Tax Software $9.95 , State $14.95
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stlutz

Re: H&R Block 2018 Tax Software Deluxe Federal + State $29.95

Post by stlutz »

There were a bunch of times it was less on Amazon last year and the download stays in your library there.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Block-Softw ... B075XZZQ4D
z0r

Post by z0r »

I got this email and I couldn't figure out if it included state e-file. If not, does anyone know the state e-file price this year? I think it was $15 last year.
Watty

Post by Watty »

stlutz wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm There were a bunch of times it was less on Amazon last year and the download stays in your library there.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Block-Softw ... B075XZZQ4D
+1

It has been years since I have paid more than $20 for the version with federal and state returns with federal e-File. I just mail my state return.

Usually where there is a good deal someone make a post about it.
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm The 2018 software is estimated to be released and available for download on 11/9/18.
Just FYI, as I recall in past years the my state version was not available until sometime in January(?).
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Each of the last two years I've filed for an extension. After April 15 the software drops dramatically in price on ebay. I paid less than $10 both times for Deluxe Federal + State.
Last edited by sawhorse on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

z0r wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:19 pm I got this email and I couldn't figure out if it included state e-file. If not, does anyone know the state e-file price this year? I think it was $15 last year.
It includes state. Click on the "Pre-Order" now link for the details. The title is "H&R Block 2018 Deluxe Federal + State".

I'm wondering if TaxACT will have any pre-order deals. Since I've used them before (2016), I logged into my account and see the 2017 product for $79.94 (5 free Federal e-files + state). Unless something changes drastically, TaxACT is nowhere close in the running for my business.
Watty wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:50 pm Just FYI, as I recall in past years the my state version was not available until sometime in January(?).
I seem to remember that as well. The site has been revamped for 2018. All I see is "2018 Coming Soon".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
z0r

Post by z0r »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 pm
z0r wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:19 pm I got this email and I couldn't figure out if it included state e-file. If not, does anyone know the state e-file price this year? I think it was $15 last year.
It includes state. Click on the "Pre-Order" now link for the details. The title is "H&R Block 2018 Deluxe Federal + State".
I bought this same product last year and it did include state but did not include state e-file, which was an additional $15. The advertising felt borderline deceptive, but of course they know what they're doing and it wasn't strictly false. I'm wondering if it's the same this year.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

HRblock "Fed+State" does not ever include State E-File for free, unless your state requires it by law. They always charge a fee, and it's different for each state. They are deceptive about this, in my opinion. In the past there's been a trick to get it free by modding files copied off the CD/DVD version, but, you can also always paper file your state return for just the cost of printing/envelope/postage. That's generally what we do.
Last edited by nalor511 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

z0r wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 pm I bought this same product last year and it did include state but did not include state e-file, which was an additional $15. The advertising felt borderline deceptive, but of course they know what they're doing and it wasn't strictly false. I'm wondering if it's the same this year.
I'd say it's the same.

Going further, they are tracking my website cookies. After clicking on the email pre-order link, I then went to the product descriptions: Tax Software For Easy At-Home Preparation | H&R Block®

With cookie tracking on, I see the pre-order pricing applied. In Chrome private browsing, I see a different pre-order price. Combining the two browser views, there are 3 pricing tiers.

Code: Select all

Product                      Pre-order   Pre-order   MSRP
                             (email)     (website)
Basic                         $9.95      $19.95      $29.95
Deluxe                       $29.95      $44.95      $54.95
Premium                      $44.95      $64.95      $74.95
Premium & Business           $59.95      $79.95      $89.95
The product comparisons are also on this page (scroll down and click on the link). State e-file is $19.95 (not available in NH - follow the footnote).
hudson

Post by hudson »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 pm Since I purchased the 2017 version of H&R Block tax software, I just received an email with a link to pre-order the 2018 version for $29.95. The "full" price is $54.95, so this is $25 off for ordering early.

The 2018 software is estimated to be released and available for download on 11/9/18.

There is one upsell - Unless you pay $5.99 for the "Extended Download Service", you'll only have a 60 day window to download the software. :annoyed

Other than last year's unacceptably long delay to get the tax planning feature added, I had no major issues with the software.

Are there any other on-going deals for tax software? So far, $29.95 is a really good price.

Last year's thread: H&R Block 2017 Tax Software $9.95 , State $14.95
Thanks LadyGeek! I need that software to enter a bunch of stuff and make decisions before the end of 2018. I'll pay the best price available on or before Nov. 9.

As you know, you don't need the extended download service, you can just save the install and code to your hard drive, a thumb drive, or something like Google Drive. I started to say that I had all my older installs; could only find the 2017 install.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

I got an email, but my offer was $34.95 so you have a better deal. I used H&R Block last year as well so that's why I got the email, but no clue why your offer was better.

I'm going to wait to see if Amazon has a Black Friday deal or maybe Cyber Monday.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

While you will be able to download in Nov, based on past experience, that version is just a placeholder. The forms will the most basic tax situation will not be preliminary form until early Jan. Most folks on this forum will not be able to use H&R Block until mid Feb. And with the reworking of the forms and rules, it might be later before I would trust it.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

I looked up what I had for last year. I paid $19.99 on Black Friday from Amazon. This is for the deluxe + state with free federal efile.
My signature has been deleted.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

My pre-order email is for 2019 Deluxe Homeowner/Investor for $19.95, probably doesn't include State. My state has a straightforward online portal, so I don't need the state version. Seems I usually pay around $15 to $20 each year, so seems about right to me.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm State e-file is $19.95 (not available in NH - follow the footnote).
Because NH doesn't have a state income tax? But neither does Washington and some others.
protagonist

H+R Block Deluxe Fed and State $35. Questions.

Post by protagonist »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just received an email that H+R Block is offering their 2018 Fed and State Deluxe for $34.95. ($20 off, so they claim) . I presume this comes with free federal fliling (as it has in the past), but there was no mention on the email. Good until Nov 9.

Question:
This year I sold a residential property from which I was deriving rental income and depreciating over time. I also sold some equities (FFNOX) to buy a car.
Is "Deluxe" robust enough to handle these scenarios, or do I need a more powerful package?

Thanks.
dbltrbl

Re: H+R Block Deluxe Fed and State $35. Questions.

Post by dbltrbl »

Rental property you need premium tax software from Block.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

protagonist wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:56 am Question:
This year I sold a residential property from which I was deriving rental income and depreciating over time. I also sold some equities (FFNOX) to buy a car.
Is "Deluxe" robust enough to handle these scenarios, or do I need a more powerful package?

Thanks.
I use Premium for the rental property situation.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Last year around this time I got an email from H&R offering the "lowest price of the year" on the Deluxe version, also around $35. Long story short - they subsequently twice offered it at lower prices before the end of the year (I think I was alerted to this in these forums). Each time I complained and they refunded the difference. I think the final price I ended up paying was around $15. So this year I will not be taking the bait this early.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

The deluxe version is fine for handling rental property and mutual fund sales. I've been using it or the TurboTax deluxe version to do both for years. I tried the TT Premium version one year, and it wasn't worth it to me, but it does provide more hand holding. It didn't help me with the one complex situation I had, which was the reason I bought it, so I had to work that one out myself anyway.

I sold a rental property last year, and although I hired a CPA because of a very unusual tax situation, I ended up replicating the entire return myself with HRB deluxe, and corrected numerous errors the CPA made. The tax software did a much better job than the CPA on many aspects of the return.

You might spring for the Premium version if you want the extra guidance, but I find I generally need to do my own research for anything complex.

A major factor can be how you split the gain between the building and the land, as that can have a big impact on the depreciation recapture, and how other capital losses might offset the gain on the property sale.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Kevin M wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 pm The deluxe version is fine for handling rental property and mutual fund sales. I've been using it or the TurboTax deluxe version to do both for years. I tried the TT Premium version one year, and it wasn't worth it to me, but it does provide more hand holding. It didn't help me with the one complex situation I had, which was the reason I bought it, so I had to work that one out myself anyway.

I sold a rental property last year, and although I hired a CPA because of a very unusual tax situation, I ended up replicating the entire return myself with HRB deluxe, and corrected numerous errors the CPA made. The tax software did a much better job than the CPA on many aspects of the return.

You might spring for the Premium version if you want the extra guidance, but I find I generally need to do my own research for anything complex.

A major factor can be how you split the gain between the building and the land, as that can have a big impact on the depreciation recapture, and how other capital losses might offset the gain on the property sale.

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin!

I expect I may take a capital loss on the sale....then again it may be offset by depreciation. It is a FL property that I inherited from my mom in 2005 and that was badly hit by the 2008 crash. Would that make a difference re: the adequacy of the Deluxe software?
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just pulled the trigger for H&R Block 2018 Deluxe Federal + State for Windows. The total cost was $31.75 ($29.95 + $1.80 PA tax.). My credit card will be charged when the software is released - still on-track for November 9, 2018.*

Why now?

First, I purchased H&R Block 2017 from Amazon in January for $35.76 (includes tax). This is $4 more than what I just paid for 2018.

A search of the popular tax products shows H&R block is still the cheapest. The following have pre-order pricing.

- H&R Block®
- TaxAct
- TurboTax® 2018

Second, I don't think the deep sale discounts will be as good as they were last year. Remember what happened about 1 year ago? Outline of tax law changes. This is the first tax filing which takes that into consideration.

Conjecture based on nothing other than a gut feel: No one has any idea what to do with taxes and will depend on tax software to figure it out. Assuming the basic law of supply and demand applies, a high demand will keep prices high. I could be wrong, though.

FYI - Coupons found via google only apply for online filing. Deep discounts can be had if you want to do this online. It's not for me.

* Those planning to buy on Nov 9 should purchase before then. My guess is that the discount price goes away on that date.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

EagertoLearnMore wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 am I got an email, but my offer was $34.95 so you have a better deal. I used H&R Block last year as well so that's why I got the email, but no clue why your offer was better.

I'm going to wait to see if Amazon has a Black Friday deal or maybe Cyber Monday.
Same here :? I guess we are step children.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I used their software last year, but I haven't gotten any email. :annoyed
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
hudson

Post by hudson »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm I used their software last year, but I haven't gotten any email. :annoyed
same here...no email
Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu »

We use freetaxusa and are quite happy about it. Federal is free and state is $13 each. 10% off coupon is readily available.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:58 pm Thanks, Kevin!

I expect I may take a capital loss on the sale....then again it may be offset by depreciation. It is a FL property that I inherited from my mom in 2005 and that was badly hit by the 2008 crash. Would that make a difference re: the adequacy of the Deluxe software?
Yep, if the depreciation is greater in magnitude than the capital loss, you could end up with a gain due to depreciation recapture. That was my situation, and the deluxe version worked fine for me.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I just did a preorder for Deluxe, Fed only @ 19.95. Fl does not do state tax. 11/9/18 for DL
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

hudson wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm
nisiprius wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm I used their software last year, but I haven't gotten any email. :annoyed
same here...no email
Did you purchase it from H&R Block or somewhere else?

I purchased my 2017 copy from Amazon. Perhaps they sent me an email with a reduced price to get my business directly? It makes sense.
Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu »

b0B wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:16 pm
Mr.Wu wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm We use freetaxusa and are quite happy about it. Federal is free and state is $13 each. 10% off coupon is readily available.
That includes e-filing state (right?) so they don't hit you with that state e-file charge at the end.

I had used TaxACT for several years, when they released software in October and charged a fair price, but that's over.
Both federal and state e-filing are at no additional charge with freetaxusa. We tried TaxACT a few years ago and we felt it was not much easier than filing tax forms by pencil. Maybe they are better now.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I use H&R Block software to prepare my state taxes, but rather than paying the fee to e-file, I go to my state's free online tax filing website. Transcribe the numbers, takes 5 minutes, submit. Free. This is for Colorado. Your state may not have this option.
BoglePablo

Post by BoglePablo »

tuningfork wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:26 pm I use H&R Block software to prepare my state taxes, but rather than paying the fee to e-file, I go to my state's free online tax filing website. Transcribe the numbers, takes 5 minutes, submit. Free. This is for Colorado. Your state may not have this option.
Same for illinois
hudson

Post by hudson »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:30 pm
hudson wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm
same here...no email
Did you purchase it from H&R Block or somewhere else?

I purchased my 2017 copy from Amazon. Perhaps they sent me an email with a reduced price to get my business directly? It makes sense.
LadyGeek: After getting an email from H&R Block in early Nov. 2017, I purchased it directly from them for $35. I've been using them for at least 10 years. I like not having to re-enter all my information including data from my previous return. I did have a problem finding the "capital loss carryover" information in my return. I'll put my notes at the bottom because most people aren't that curious.

The current price on their website is $45 for a "pre-order". https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/in ... Z8QAvD_BwE
I plan to wait for an email until Nov. 9th since I've been getting emails for several years. If not I'll call them and ask for the $30 deal that you got. Of course, I'll also shop around.

Too Much Information...Capital Loss Carryover information....H&R Block Deluxe
Note: The software retains your capital loss carryover, but doesn't easily show it... so here's how to dig it out:
Go to Forms
Schedule D (Once you get here, you'll likely see the form, if not continue)
You won't get the pretty IRS form but the internal HR Block Worksheet
Scroll to the bottom for CAPITAL LOSS CARRYOVER WORKSHEET.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

hudson wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am ...I plan to wait for an email until Nov. 9th since I've been getting emails for several years. If not I'll call them and ask for the $30 deal that you got. Of course, I'll also shop around.
I would recommend calling them Monday or Tuesday and see what you can negotiate while pre-order pricing is still valid. Once the software is released on the 9th, they may not be able to accommodate your request (discount no longer allowed).
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

2016: Paid $9.99 for the same product with an ISO of the CD and some promo codes.
2017: Paid $19.99 for the same product, BF sale at Amazon.

I'm going to wait.
I like the H&R product, (5) free federal efiles and, like others, do the state (NJ) with the program and transcribe to fillable forms that are uploadable to the State site.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Kevin M wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:08 pm
protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:58 pm Thanks, Kevin!

Yep, if the depreciation is greater in magnitude than the capital loss, you could end up with a gain due to depreciation recapture. That was my situation, and the deluxe version worked fine for me.

Kevin
Thanks!
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged protagonist's thread into a similar discussion.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

TurboTax told me last year (for tax year 2017) that TurboTax next year (2018 tax year) would not run on my aging Mac.

BTW - for anyone with straightforward taxes, TaxAide will do your taxes for you, efile 'em, and efile your State tax - all for no charge.
hudson

Post by hudson »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 am
hudson wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am ...I plan to wait for an email until Nov. 9th since I've been getting emails for several years. If not I'll call them and ask for the $30 deal that you got. Of course, I'll also shop around.
I would recommend calling them Monday or Tuesday and see what you can negotiate while pre-order pricing is still valid. Once the software is released on the 9th, they may not be able to accommodate your request (discount no longer allowed).
good idea...thanks!
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

InMyDreams wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:53 am TurboTax told me last year (for tax year 2017) that TurboTax next year (2018 tax year) would not run on my aging Mac.

BTW - for anyone with straightforward taxes, TaxAide will do your taxes for you, efile 'em, and efile your State tax - all for no charge.
Yes, I recall that too. It requires Mac OS X El Capitan or later. All of those fancy additions, subtractions, and multiplications require a sophisticated operating system. :D
Steve
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Longdog wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm
Yes, I recall that too. It requires Mac OS X El Capitan or later. All of those fancy additions, subtractions, and multiplications require a sophisticated operating system. :D
Dang, hard to cry about it when it means that my Mac is a great machine!
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Do we need tax software this year? Don't we fill our taxes out on a post card this year?
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Little off-topic question but didn't want to start a new thread: If I were to be filing taxes this year for both myself and a relative who's not great with money, would I need to purchase two of these, or would I be able to get away with only one? Or does it depend on which type of tax software?
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 pm Little off-topic question but didn't want to start a new thread: If I were to be filing taxes this year for both myself and a relative who's not great with money, would I need to purchase two of these, or would I be able to get away with only one? Or does it depend on which type of tax software?
H&R Block program allows to do the taxes for as many people you like (I believe, never tried more than about four) and free federal efile for (5) of those returns.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

mggray17 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:29 am H&R Block program allows to do the taxes for as many people you like (I believe, never tried more than about four) and free federal efile for (5) of those returns.
OK, people keep mentioning "free efile." I'm used to paper and pencil, comfortable with paper and pencil, not a complicated return. I wouldn't mind using a program to back me up, but would prefer to keep mailing the paper. Can I do that with this software? I buy it, download it, run it and then print it out and mail it?

[I know, someone at the IRS keys/scans it in and it goes "online" anyhow, but I still prefer the paper on my end.]

Lady Geek - You mentioned their cookie tracking. I think I have my browser set to clear cookies when I close it. Can you give a link to info on anything else I can do to limit the cookie trail? What I should know about this when shopping for, say, cheap airline tickets? Could it be beneficial to leave a trail when comparison shopping?

Thx,
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

legio XX wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 am

OK, people keep mentioning "free efile." I'm used to paper and pencil, comfortable with paper and pencil, not a complicated return. I wouldn't mind using a program to back me up, but would prefer to keep mailing the paper. Can I do that with this software? I buy it, download it, run it and then print it out and mail it?

[I know, someone at the IRS keys/scans it in and it goes "online" anyhow, but I still prefer the paper on my end.]
You can certainly print and mail your return in lieu of efile. But if you simply “prefer the paper on my end”, just efile and print a copy for your files.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Thanks neilpilot and lady Geek - will definitely look into this.
AAA

Post by AAA »

legio XX wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 amI wouldn't mind using a program to back me up, but would prefer to keep mailing the paper. Can I do that with this software? I buy it, download it, run it and then print it out and mail it?
That's what I do. I'm uncomfortable with e-filing for the simple reason that you have to assume that the file that is sent agrees with the readable version that the tax program shows you. So I create a pdf file for each return and print out a copy to mail in.
hudson

Post by hudson »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 am

FOR H&R BLOCK DELUXE WITH STATE...THE DOWNLOAD VERSION...
I called their customer service number 800 472 5625 and got a recording; I selected customer service and got another recording. I kept saying operator until I got a live person. That person told me that the emails hadn't gone out; I replied that a friend had gotten an email(Thanks LadyGeek!). He then directed me how to search my emails for an email from "reply@sendtaxhrblock.com" ...we didn't find it. He then spoke to his supervisor. He then offered me a 20% discount if I went ahead with the purchase. He told me to call back on Nov. 9th and they would refund the 20%. I asked for a ticket number or a case number; he gave me his ID # and name. I went ahead with the purchase as I need the software now.

Software: 44.95
Extended Download 5.99...a required purchase...no option to remove...I would remove if I could as it has no value for me
Sales Tax 3.45
Total 54.39

I assume that my Nov. 9th refund will be 20% of $44.95 or $8.99
Final cost: $45.40...if I remember to call them back :)
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

hudson wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:44 am Extended Download 5.99...a required purchase...no option to remove...I would remove if I could as it has no value for me

This is a big turnoff for me from purchasing directly from HRBlock. I can purchase this software from Amazon without this fee...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin