Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
ChinchillaWhiplash
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Looking for what brand a model of cars are available. Looking for luxury mid to large vehicles that will last for many miles without too much expensive maintenance. Will be used for commuting in SW CO, but not in bad weather (snow). Will be used in winter when roads might be snow packed, so thinking AWD might be best. Would like decent power to get up mountain passes without straining. Will be driven 15k + miles a year and would like it to last for several years so thinking anything with under 60k miles would be good. Would also be good to get at least mid 20s mpg on the highway. Thinking Lexus 350 or 460, Volvo S60, etc. Any other good ones like Infinity, MB, or BMW? What would be on your radar?

Bacchus01
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Lexus for reliability

BMW for kick butt fun to drive

I’m not sure you can get either with low miles and “mid to larger”

TRC
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by TRC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:02 pm

If you're concerned about expensive maintenance - eliminate MB, BMW and Volvo from the list.

Acura or Lexus would be my vote. I've owned an Acura TL SHAWD for 60k miles and not a single issue. It's a 2014 and last I checked it's value, it's probably worth 20K. Infiniti could also be an option, but I think it's a brand that slightly inferior to Acura or Lexus.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm

2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9122
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 pm

I would agree with the Infinity being a bit below a Lexus or Acura. However, from my immediate circle the Infinity G37 has stood the test of time. There is some suspicion that the Q50s are not quite as food as the g37s.

And my personal opinion is that the Acuras are just plan ugly.

Bacchus01
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c24540

ChinchillaWhiplash
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 pm

How about Cadillac XTS? Lots for sale at $22-23.

Flag Prepper
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Flag Prepper » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:40 pm

We bought a 2013 Lexus ES 350 with about 40,000 miles on it for about $26,000 including tax and license, and we couldn't be happier with it.

I'm totally sold on the Lexus.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 pm
my personal opinion is that the Acuras are just plan ugly.
To quote my wife, 'your face is ugly'. :mrgreen:

I bought a 2010 Acura TSX which I love... But I agree, the styling has slipped a bit. OTOH, the new civics look pretty spiffy.

I bought mine used CPO in 2013 and haven't had any issues with it.

dustinst22
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by dustinst22 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Lexus/Acura are just Toyota/Honda with makeup. It's like going for a one night stand and waking up next to a pig in lipstick.

viz
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by viz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Lexus/Acura are just Toyota/Honda with makeup. It's like going for a one night stand and waking up next to a pig in lipstick.
I respectfully disagree.
I have had a Toyota, Lexus and Acura. Even with all the upgrades for Toyota, you can't get to the quality and driving experience of a Lexus. Of course, this is a personal opinion.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9122
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 pm

viz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Lexus/Acura are just Toyota/Honda with makeup. It's like going for a one night stand and waking up next to a pig in lipstick.
I respectfully disagree.
I have had a Toyota, Lexus and Acura. Even with all the upgrades for Toyota, you can't get to the quality and driving experience of a Lexus. Of course, this is a personal opinion.
I second that disagreement. In the beginning Lexus, Acura and Infinity were more like cosmetic (lipstick on a pig) versions of their Toyota, Honda and Nissan cousins. However, for many, many years the vast majority of the luxury brand version parts are totally different. With different engines, transmissions, suspensions, front-ends, braking, bodies and interiors.

samsdad
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by samsdad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

I’ve lived in the CO front range for almost 20 years. Wouldn’t think of driving anything but AWD. Also wouldn’t think of driving a sedan for the reason that if you need to get to items in the trunk for your safety for example, you may not want to exit the vehicle to do so. Colorado weather changes on a dime and can be life threatening due to exposure extremely quickly.

I keep warm items like blankets and jackets in the area behind the rear seats the two Volvos (2005 XC70 and 2014 XC90) I own especially as we head into winter. If you slide off the road during a whiteout for example and are stranded, in the mountains especially, having those items in the rear area of the passenger compartment could be very useful while you wait for help. I bought both vehicles used under the miles and price you mentioned.

tim1999
Posts: 3514
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by tim1999 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm

2014-2015 Infiniti Q50's are cheap, can be had for 25k or less for off-lease, low-mileage examples, the 3.7 engine is very proven, powerful, and reliable. Gas mileage isn't great, but you can get mid/high 20s on the highway. No junky CVT transmission on these cars, they have a reliable 7-speed automatic.

Also consider the 2015 Q40 which is just a re-badged 2013 G37 they carried over for another model year. Same good 3.7 engine but the interior looks dated now. There are a lot of those on the market now, off lease, for under 20k.

Routine maintenance on these cars is cheap, they don't require synthetic oil, nor do they use expensive low-profile tires unless you get the Q50S model.

Note that the Q50's switched to fake leather instead of the real leather interior on the G37/Q40. Leather was optional on base models but most of them don't have it. It was standard on the Q50S, but the Q50S gets you a lot of extra electronic crap like an electronic steering system that had some issues.

User avatar
catalina355
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by catalina355 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
Inexpensive maintenance. Impossible. :D

randomguy
Posts: 6607
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 pm
viz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Lexus/Acura are just Toyota/Honda with makeup. It's like going for a one night stand and waking up next to a pig in lipstick.
I respectfully disagree.
I have had a Toyota, Lexus and Acura. Even with all the upgrades for Toyota, you can't get to the quality and driving experience of a Lexus. Of course, this is a personal opinion.
I second that disagreement. In the beginning Lexus, Acura and Infinity were more like cosmetic (lipstick on a pig) versions of their Toyota, Honda and Nissan cousins. However, for many, many years the vast majority of the luxury brand version parts are totally different. With different engines, transmissions, suspensions, front-ends, braking, bodies and interiors.
It is a stupid analogy that dates back to the day when GM would just stick different name plates on the same car.

With luxury you need to define what you want. It tends to be a mixture of
a)performance both in terms of acceleration and high speed handling
b) smooth rides with out much noise or vibration
c) fancy leather interiors and technology

which blend you want determines what to buy.

JimInIllinois
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:55 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by JimInIllinois » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 am

You can get a new Subaru for around this price. AWD and collision avoidance standard. Not "luxury" but plenty nice.

Bacchus01
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:35 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c24540
I stand corrected. I’m actually pretty shocked that they are that low. I’ve had a 5 series xdrive before. Loved the car. I got 99K absolutely trouble-free miles out of it.

rooms222
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by rooms222 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:49 am

Here´s a 2018 All Wheel Drive Chrysler 300 with 19k miles for $22, 600. https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list ... -Woburn-MA

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 8068
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:54 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:22 pm
viz wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Lexus/Acura are just Toyota/Honda with makeup. It's like going for a one night stand and waking up next to a pig in lipstick.
I respectfully disagree.
I have had a Toyota, Lexus and Acura. Even with all the upgrades for Toyota, you can't get to the quality and driving experience of a Lexus. Of course, this is a personal opinion.
I second that disagreement. In the beginning Lexus, Acura and Infinity were more like cosmetic (lipstick on a pig) versions of their Toyota, Honda and Nissan cousins. However, for many, many years the vast majority of the luxury brand version parts are totally different. With different engines, transmissions, suspensions, front-ends, braking, bodies and interiors.
Depends on the specific model. A co-worker just bought a CPO ES350 and as we were on the way to an account in it, he commented that it's really just a trim upgrade from the Toyota Avalon, which was his last car.

Sure, there aren't any GS models in Toyota's lineup or Corollas in Lexus's. Not sure about Acura anymore, but it used to be that the TSX was a Civic with a bigger engine. So there still is some badge engineering going on.

As far as different engines, interiors, suspensions......you can get that staying within the model line. Look at the CRV. You can get an LX with a non problematic non turbo engine and sparse interior or the top of the line 1.5T gas in the oil problem engine with a spiffy leather interior. That's just a trim level. Heck.....look at Audi. A base A4 is a third the price of an RS4 with an S4 sitting about double the price of an A4.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jags4186
Posts: 2602
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:21 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
There are 58 2015 528i xDrive under $25,000 listed on on Autotrader within 25 miles from my zip code. Cheapest starting at $16,500, albiet that particular one has 75,000 miles on it. At $18,955 you can get one with 41,000 miles and at $21,290 you’re down to one with 35,000 miles. Jumping up to $22,895 we have one with only 25,329 miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

lazydavid
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am

catalina355 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
Inexpensive maintenance. Impossible. :D
Haven't had a 5, but two different 3-series that have been very inexpensive to maintain over the past 20 years, with the exception of the current one's insatiable appetite for rear tires. But 500 lbft of torque will do that, so it's more of a lifestyle choice. :mrgreen:

Nissanzx1
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 am

Best bet is LS460 you'll be straining the budget a touch for AWD but worth it. To the poster that said lipstick on a pig, drive the LS 460 and you will stand corrected.

5 series BMW is a good option too and much less expensive but won't hold value like LS460.

Atilla
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by Atilla » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 am

Last year I purchased a 2012 Infiniti M37x. Just under 24,000 miles for $23,000. Roomy, all wheel drive, good power and handling, decent reliability and good crash rating.

So I'd look for used M37/Q70 models. They can be found everywhere.

The G37/Q50s are not mid to large luxury cars. The M37/Q70 definitely is. There is also a stretch version of the Q70.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:03 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:35 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c24540
I stand corrected. I’m actually pretty shocked that they are that low. I’ve had a 5 series xdrive before. Loved the car. I got 99K absolutely trouble-free miles out of it.
I have 44k miles on mine so far, fingers crossed it stays as trouble free as yours!

dsmclone
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by dsmclone » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 am

Atilla wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 am
Last year I purchased a 2012 Infiniti M37x. Just under 24,000 miles for $23,000. Roomy, all wheel drive, good power and handling, decent reliability and good crash rating.

So I'd look for used M37/Q70 models. They can be found everywhere.

The G37/Q50s are not mid to large luxury cars. The M37/Q70 definitely is. There is also a stretch version of the Q70.
I'd second this. I bought an CPO 2011 M56x(420hp V8) a few years ago w/ less than 25k miles. Original sticker was close to $80k and I got it for around $35k at the time. It was a great car during the time I had it. These big luxury cars lose the most value and are great to pick up if they have good reliability.

ssquared87
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:07 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:35 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ity=c24540
I stand corrected. I’m actually pretty shocked that they are that low. I’ve had a 5 series xdrive before. Loved the car. I got 99K absolutely trouble-free miles out of it.

They’re cheap because the new redesign came out in 2017 and while it looks similar on the outside , the interior is a massive improvement and the chassis much better on the new version.

I have always liked the 5 series and almost got a 2014/2015 last year but after driving the new version it was enough of an improvement for me to go with the new one for $30k more rather than get the older model. Looks like prices have slipped evern further.

OP in the link above to the used 5 series, there is a 535D with xDrive in Denver. That’s your best option. You’ll have AWD for inclement weather and the diesel BMWS are known to go a few hundred thousand miles reliably. The fuel efficiency is also excellent

Stay away from the 528i in that generation, it’s inderpowered and the 535 is smoother and more reliable anyway. Gas mileage isn’t much different because the 528 needs to strain to move that much weight

ssquared87
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:16 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
Inexpensive maintenance. Impossible. :D
Haven't had a 5, but two different 3-series that have been very inexpensive to maintain over the past 20 years, with the exception of the current one's insatiable appetite for rear tires. But 500 lbft of torque will do that, so it's more of a lifestyle choice. :mrgreen:
Agreed. Have a 98 M3 with around 155k miles and it’s been mostly trouble free except age related stuff (hoses radiator, coolant expansion tank) and of course my alternator went at some point. Most of the repairs were easy to do and cheap. Sometimes I was lazy and took it to a mechanic when the coolant expansion tank cracked it was a $50 part that I could have replaced myself in half hour but I hurt my back so the mechanic charged me $75 to install it. Still have this car but don’t drive it a lot

My 2011 328 was almost trouble free to 70k miles except for a gasket that needed to be replaced. The car was killed in a pretty bad rear end accident but it did a spectacular job protecting me.

2017 530 only has 15k miles but has been flawless so far

User avatar
tcassette
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 pm
Location: Southeast Tennessee

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by tcassette » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am

JimInIllinois wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 am
You can get a new Subaru for around this price. AWD and collision avoidance standard. Not "luxury" but plenty nice.
This. A top trim level Subaru Legacy sedan with the 3.6L engine is very nice, especially a 2018 with the incremental upgrades for that model year.

User avatar
catalina355
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by catalina355 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:16 am
lazydavid wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am
catalina355 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
Inexpensive maintenance. Impossible. :D
Haven't had a 5, but two different 3-series that have been very inexpensive to maintain over the past 20 years, with the exception of the current one's insatiable appetite for rear tires. But 500 lbft of torque will do that, so it's more of a lifestyle choice. :mrgreen:
Agreed. Have a 98 M3 with around 155k miles and it’s been mostly trouble free except age related stuff (hoses radiator, coolant expansion tank) and of course my alternator went at some point. Most of the repairs were easy to do and cheap. Sometimes I was lazy and took it to a mechanic when the coolant expansion tank cracked it was a $50 part that I could have replaced myself in half hour but I hurt my back so the mechanic charged me $75 to install it. Still have this car but don’t drive it a lot

My 2011 328 was almost trouble free to 70k miles except for a gasket that needed to be replaced. The car was killed in a pretty bad rear end accident but it did a spectacular job protecting me.

2017 530 only has 15k miles but has been flawless so far
My 325i was fine till 70K. After 100K the problems started.

User avatar
tyrion
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by tyrion » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:17 pm

samsdad wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm
I’ve lived in the CO front range for almost 20 years. Wouldn’t think of driving anything but AWD. Also wouldn’t think of driving a sedan for the reason that if you need to get to items in the trunk for your safety for example, you may not want to exit the vehicle to do so. Colorado weather changes on a dime and can be life threatening due to exposure extremely quickly.

I keep warm items like blankets and jackets in the area behind the rear seats the two Volvos (2005 XC70 and 2014 XC90) I own especially as we head into winter. If you slide off the road during a whiteout for example and are stranded, in the mountains especially, having those items in the rear area of the passenger compartment could be very useful while you wait for help. I bought both vehicles used under the miles and price you mentioned.
This is really good advice. When I was a kid growing up in Colorado we never went anywhere in winter without a car loaded with sleeping bags and spare food/water. I suppose in a sedan you could put stuff in the rear seats and achieve the same result, so long as you remember to keep it there.

manuvns
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by manuvns » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm

you can get many 2014/2015 Lexus IS/ES , Infiniti Q50 at that price and much better than Acura
Last edited by manuvns on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srt7
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by srt7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:23 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
Low miles, XDrive for $25k? Unlikely
While not at $25K I did see one in the Denver area for $28K. It was a 2015 528i xDrive with 22,000 miles on it.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by srt7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:29 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 am
Best bet is LS460 you'll be straining the budget a touch for AWD but worth it. To the poster that said lipstick on a pig, drive the LS 460 and you will stand corrected.

5 series BMW is a good option too and much less expensive but won't hold value like LS460.
Yeah, but it will be a blast to drive the 5-series unlike the boat that is LS460. Also, holding value shouldn't be a primary factor when it comes to used cars. IMHV i.e.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by srt7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:31 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
+1

Someone here mentioned that 528i is slow. That depends on your last ride. I personally own a 528i and think it's the best of both worlds when it comes to accelerating as well as fuel economy. My last car was a Lexus RX 350.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

ssquared87
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 pm

srt7 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:31 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm
2015 BMW 5 series fits the bill
+1

Someone here mentioned that 528i is slow. That depends on your last ride. I personally own a 528i and think it's the best of both worlds when it comes to accelerating as well as fuel economy. My last car was a Lexus RX 350.
That was me. Real world MPG is not all that different because the 528 has to strain to get up to speed...I know others with 535i that get better mpg in city driving than friends with 528i...528i will do better on the highway when all it needs to do is maintain a constant velocity though.

I test drove the 2014 528 and the 535 and just felt the 528 was a bit slow and the 535 had the right balance of refinement, performance and fuel mileage. I wouldn't say the 528 is a slow car, but given the quality of the chassis and suspension, the 528 feels underpowered while the 535i feels like a good balance between power and handling. BMW is known for their inline 6 cylinder engines, which you can't find in many other brands (pretty much everyone else uses inferior V6 which is less refined, less efficient, less powerful, but better for space efficiency).

The other issue is that the 528 has BMWs last gen 4 cylinder engine N26 which has a known issue with the timing chain guides breaking and the the engine basically eating itself up. The 535i and 535D are more reliable engines and don't have this problem.

02nz
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by 02nz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:54 am
Sure, there aren't any GS models in Toyota's lineup or Corollas in Lexus's. Not sure about Acura anymore, but it used to be that the TSX was a Civic with a bigger engine. So there still is some badge engineering going on.
Actually the TSX was the European-market Accord (smaller, tauter), with an Acura badge slapped on. It may have been the best badge-engineered car ever. The first generation was truly brilliant, unbelievable handling and poise from a FWD sedan. Acura's more recent efforts aren't as good. They're still selling the ILX - the Acura version of the previous-generation Civic.

User avatar
ram
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Luxury Sedans for around $25k used with lower miles? AWD?

Post by ram » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm

My 2012 Lexus LS 460 AWD, 65 K miles will satisfy most of your requirements and I think a similar car should be available for about 25 K. I would strongly recommend it.
I got it 3 yrs ago at 40K miles for $40K
Ram

Post Reply