Space needed small bathroom 1st floor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Space needed small bathroom 1st floor?

Post by dm200 »

As part of planning for aging in place - a 1st floor bathroom makes sense. How much space needed for 1/2 bath or small one with small shower?
ResearchMed

Re: Space needed small bathroom 1st floor?

Post by ResearchMed »

dm200 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:12 pm As part of planning for aging in place - a 1st floor bathroom makes sense. How much space needed for 1/2 bath or small one with small shower?
I've seen *very* small 3/4 baths, but you probably should allow room for wheelchair accessible space and fixtures, so it might not be as small as it could have been.
Also keep in mind having no "lip" at the doorway or into a shower area, in addition to width of spaces.

A bathroom fixture supply store may have some sample plans for you to think about.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:19 pm
dm200 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:12 pm As part of planning for aging in place - a 1st floor bathroom makes sense. How much space needed for 1/2 bath or small one with small shower?
I've seen *very* small 3/4 baths, but you probably should allow room for wheelchair accessible space and fixtures, so it might not be as small as it could have been.
Also keep in mind having no "lip" at the doorway or into a shower area, in addition to width of spaces.
A bathroom fixture supply store may have some sample plans for you to think about.
RM
I am probably thinking of just an accessible 1/2 bath - no shower - just toilet and sink.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Your initial concern needs to be the plumbing. Obviously a bathroom needs water (hot and cold) and a drain for the sink as well as a drain for the toilet. Agree that you will want to make the room wheelchair accessible which will mean a somewhat larger space. You probably should contact a contractor to discuss and make recommendations. Good luck.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

For wheelchair access/ADA compliant, you will probably need a minimum of 7'x6'6" (need to be able to draw a 60" circle in the plan plus lots of other minimum dimensions required). If that is not necessary, you can probably get away with 3'6"x4'6". Be nice to have the new bath vertically in line with the upstairs bath to make plumbing easier...depends where the drain is going and water access is located.

You can just go search Goggle for handicap half bath floor plans or non-handicap plans to get an idea of the basic layouts....
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I don't think a half bath is going to be sufficient if you're really planning for aging in place. I've dealt with enough elderly relatives who have wanted to stay in their homes without a first floor bedroom and full bath to think this is practical.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

I had the builder change the 1/2 bath downstairs to include a shower decreasing the size of the family room.

I was thinking now that it may have been cheaper to have one of those stair lifts installed instead when the need arises.

The builder charged me $15K.
The next door neighbor who has the same floorplan had the 1/2 bath fitted with a shower for $5K by a non-licensed handyman.
No paperwork with the township.
The handyman managed to squeeze a shower into the existing 1/2 bath which is the size of a 1/2 bath.
I haven't seen this in person.

My 3/4 bath would not be ADA-compliant.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

You may not be able to get the wheelchair compliant bath, but you may be able to make the half bath accessible for a walker. That will not take as much space.

Ralph
Momus

Post by Momus »

Can you exercise your way out of aging gracefully? I feel old people who can't walk up stairs, or walk faster are pathetic... :| Then, I see this bodybuilder elderly in 80s still strong as hell, some even run marathons. If I exercise a lot, would that prevent that from happening? :confused
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I think it would need to be fairly large. I have a small 1/2 bath on the first floor. My mother was not able to get her walker into the bathroom. Well, maybe she could as a very, very tight squeeze but she could never have turned it even at a 90 degree angle to use the facilities Had she fallen in there it would have been very difficult to get another person in there, let alone two, to safely get her up. Good idea if it's big enough but I did not have the room to expand.
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

Momus wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 am Can you exercise your way out of aging gracefully? I feel old people who can't walk up stairs, or walk faster are pathetic... :| Then, I see this bodybuilder elderly in 80s still strong as hell, some even run marathons. If I exercise a lot, would that prevent that from happening? :confused
You have no way of knowing why a person, old or not, can't walk up stairs or walks slowly. Cancer, heart disease (Jim Fixx showed that now matter how much you exercise, you can't beat heart disease), kidney disease, auto accident that was someone else's fault, heck, even the grandchildren's overly-friendly dog could jump on you and break some bones.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Is it possible to move into an one floor ADA compliant home instead?
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

HueyLD wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:17 am
Is it possible to move into an one floor ADA compliant home instead?
Possible - but probably not in this jurisdiction. There are many reasons (including financial) for staying here.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

clemrick wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:15 am
Momus wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 am Can you exercise your way out of aging gracefully? I feel old people who can't walk up stairs, or walk faster are pathetic... :| Then, I see this bodybuilder elderly in 80s still strong as hell, some even run marathons. If I exercise a lot, would that prevent that from happening? :confused
You have no way of knowing why a person, old or not, can't walk up stairs or walks slowly. Cancer, heart disease (Jim Fixx showed that now matter how much you exercise, you can't beat heart disease), kidney disease, auto accident that was someone else's fault, heck, even the grandchildren's overly-friendly dog could jump on you and break some bones.
To a degree - yes - lifestyle changes or a good lifestyle reduces the mobility risk. My opinion is that the biggest single lifestyle factor in mobility issues is being overweight or obese.
MJS

Post by MJS »

If the closet is in a private space, the toilet can be placed in the closet while the sink is placed on a wall near by.

If you have sufficient wall space, a motorized barn-door that covers the entire closet-length can permit walker or wheel chair access to the facilities while entering/being seated, then privacy when needed.

Post by 123 »

My grandfather used a wheelchair in his home after a stroke. To accommodate him in an existing bathroom the door to a bathroom was removed (a drape/curtain was installed across the doorway when the door was removed. If designed from scratch a bathroom may use less space if it can be built using a sliding (pocket) door. Accommodating the opening and closing of a regular door imposes limits on the layout, a sliding/pocket door might work better but they have their own limits on placement.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.