Canada Goose Jacket

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Canada Goose Jacket

Post by Keepcalm »

About to pick one up, figured I would see if anyone on here has had experience with one?

Cheers.
Random Poster

Re: Canada Goose Jacket

Post by Random Poster »

They are certainly warm, but I tend to believe that most people who have one do not really need it and wear them more as status symbols than for anything else.
finanzfrau

Post by finanzfrau »

best jacket ever so warm. I live in cold Michigan and I am toasty with this jacket. It is an investment and I am hoping it will last a couple of years.
Check the size and try one on before buying.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

In reviews the most popular complaint seems to be the material getting wear spots/shint spots on seams and material within a few years.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Keepcalm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 pm About to pick one up, figured I would see if anyone on here has had experience with one?

Cheers.
I finally got one last winter, for a trip to northern Norway.

Some of them are "more" waterproof/resistant and windproof/resistant than others, so look carefully at the category for the jacket and fabric.

Mine was perfect... toasty warm on a moving ship (e.g., WINDY) at night looking for Northern Lights, etc.
(But we had to rush on deck when the "Lights" call came, and I didn't want to delay to put on the wind/rain pants over my jeans. Huge mistake. My legs felt like they were about to freeze right off, but upper body? Could have been sitting inside :happy )

I do think that some of the lesser/non brand names might be as warm, but it would take more checking of materials.
Usually, we get these things (e.g., rain gear, boots, gloves/mittens....) at REI, but I couldn't find what I needed/wanted.

I bought from a store that will ship several so they can be tried on.
I went through a few, and ended up with something different from what I had initially planned to get, so that was really handy.
(I used "Backcountry". I was a bit wary, given the price points, so I used Amex for "security", but it all went exactly as expected. I spoke with them by phone rather than doing it entirely online.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Bought one a couple of years ago. Excellent jacket and certainly warm. Use it mostly when I'm in the mountains skiing.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

are they too over bearing for temps hovering at the freezing level?
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

finanzfrau wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm best jacket ever so warm. I live in cold Michigan and I am toasty with this jacket. It is an investment and I am hoping it will last a couple of years.
Check the size and try one on before buying.
Not sure if you are kidding. You expect them to last only for a couple of years, after dropping over $500 on them?
sojirovs

Post by sojirovs »

Love mine.
vgvti

Post by vgvti »

Bought one last year for a northeast winter and I love it. I hate being cold and it’s the warmest thing I’ve ever had and I like that I don’t have to layer. It’s expensive, but I expect to last a decade or more. They are suppose to have good customer service and should fix any small issues that come up.

I actually hate showing off the label. I wish I could have found a black label version, but it didn’t come in the style I wanted. I’m almost ashamed when people at work comment on it because a lot of people know they are expensive coats.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

Which one did you get? I've been window shopping, but it appears that all the good ones in my size are perpetually sold out.
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

wabbajack wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm Which one did you get? I've been window shopping, but it appears that all the good ones in my size are perpetually sold out.
Chateau
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Keepcalm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm are they too over bearing for temps hovering at the freezing level?
Note that they have different "coldness" ratings, along with the differing fabric types.

You might want to consider whether you need the ones intended for the coldest areas.

Look at their website for the assorted categories/ratings, for starters.
What is the coldest situation you'd expect to need something, and for how long/how frequently?

We get "real winters" here, and my old winter parka was many, many years old, and was almost starting to fall apart. (Also, it seems to have "shrunk", ahem :wink: )
So I'll have plenty of use for it.

RM
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

How much goose down are they? LLBean and North Face are outstanding
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
hudson

Post by hudson »

If you're looking for down clothing, consider looking at Feathered Friends out of Seattle.
They sell top quality stuff that does the job. I bought a coat, pants, and a sleeping bag for winter backpacks in 2011...no issues after 7 years of moderate use. I use the coat and pants as my sleeping bag above 30 degrees. The zippers and snaps are well placed. I'll bet a long-time winter outdoors person designed their products.
Last edited by hudson on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

Keepcalm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:20 pm
wabbajack wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm Which one did you get? I've been window shopping, but it appears that all the good ones in my size are perpetually sold out.
Chateau
This one? https://www.canadagoose.com/us/en/chate ... 426MB.html
Had it bookmarked last spring, but didn't want to buy it months before I would use it. Now it's sold out =/
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

wabbajack wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Chateau
Had it bookmarked last spring, but didn't want to buy it months before I would use it. Now it's sold out =/
Have you tried local retailers of them?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Keepcalm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 pm
wabbajack wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Chateau
Have you tried local retailers of them?
Or online?
I got mine from Backcountry.
They were great to deal with, and kept sending me different styles and colors, until I found just the right one. They even noticed a return of the exact color I had been hoping for, and sent that one to me to see/try on.
There are also other online (some also have stores, but "not near us") sellers.
And some top department stores seem to have one or two styles (or did last winter).

RM
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

We rented them for a few days when we went to Yellowknife for northern light watching (and general exploring of the area at -37F). Big, bulky and lovely warm :)
student

Post by student »

I think it is an overkill for those who lives an upper middle class lifestyle. How thick of a jacket do you need if you just need to walk from the parking lot to your office. I did try it at a store and I find it too heavy. I much prefer down jacket from Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, Marmot etc.
Last edited by student on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Typical heavily branded overpriced status symbol. You can get same or actually better high quality winter parka from Mountain Hardware, Marmot, or North Face for half the price.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm Typical heavily branded overpriced status symbol. You can get same or actually better high quality winter parka from Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Patagonia, or North Face for half the price.

https://www.rei.com/c/mens-insulated-ja ... origin=web
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I live in Boston and also do a bit of winter hiking and know cold weather gear pretty well.

Canada Goose is good quality, but you're paying a lot for the name. There's nothing magic about them. They're (the typical big CG parkas with fur hood lining) certainly overkill for walking to/from the car to a building, but if you spend a lot of time walking on your commute or standing around outside a good coat is a must. They certainty are not active wear.

Still a little overpriced, but i've had good luck with Patagonia. They have half-off year end deals and are a company worth giving your money to. They'll also repair damaged coats/gear. I have sort of a nice/city style down jacket and my wife has a full length down parka that we're happy with for daily winter use. I have tons of other Patagonia gear as well.

That said, Boston cold isn't Montreal cold, or even Chicago cold.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

I live in Wisconsin. I bought one from Mooosejaw in Ann Arbor last year. I don’t think it was worth the $900 I paid for it. I prefer my north face jacket that cost me $300. You just gotta layer yourself. It’s like driving a Mercedes. Good car, but a Toyota works just as well.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

Might be worth posting on our sister Canadian Bogleheads site. When I was in Canada last winter, I noticed several other brands of down jackets that seemed equivalently warm and well made, but perhaps more fashion forward. Sorry I can’t remember any brands- I’ll try to.
jks1985

Post by jks1985 »

Love mine. Before buying it, I didn’t know I could be so warm in the winter.

Watch out for PETA people giving you grief about it, though. In NYC, I’ve had a few of them come up to me about it over the years.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

jks1985 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 pm Love mine. Before buying it, I didn’t know I could be so warm in the winter.

Watch out for PETA people giving you grief about it, though. In NYC, I’ve had a few of them come up to me about it over the years.
Can you elaborate, I didn't know wearing down jackets is bad for the animals?
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Agree that they are overkill. Heavy coats that are too warm are not a good purchase for me. I'd rather have layers with a warm hat and gloves. Maybe if you live in Minnesota, Canada, Alaska and are outside all day ice fishing or sitting in a deer blind. If I'm skiing, shoveling, or skating I want lightweight layers and I get warm quickly.
student

Post by student »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 am
jks1985 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 pm Love mine. Before buying it, I didn’t know I could be so warm in the winter.

I assume this is about the fur on the hood.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm Typical heavily branded overpriced status symbol. You can get same or actually better high quality winter parka from Mountain Hardware, Marmot, or North Face for half the price.
I guess it's all right when an adult buys one with their own funds, but my son tells me that at Yale, students wearing Canada Goose are the objects of ridicule ("aw, did Daddy only buy you one of those jackets? poor baby"). Many families there can afford them, but I hear that some sensitive kids stop wearing them soon after their first appearance; some other kids enjoy the attention.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm Typical heavily branded overpriced status symbol. You can get same or actually better high quality winter parka from Mountain Hardware, Marmot, or North Face for half the price.
Funny when the alternative to a "heavily branded overpriced status symbol" are "heavily branded overpriced status symbols".
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Jamieson22 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:47 am
Funny when the alternative to a "heavily branded overpriced status symbol" are "heavily branded overpriced status symbols".
Good point. The herd has discovered some of these brands and some (particularly Northface have responded with mass market style clothes) but for the most part all still make a line of specialized very high quality technical clothing at reasonable cost given quality and warranty provided.

The companies noted all started out as makers of very high quality, well made "technical" clothing primarily designed around requirements for strenuous outdoor activities (function rather than fashion) like cross country skiing and mountaineering.

Wearing a down parka in 1972 I had folks ask me if my coat was blow up air inflated.
sjt

Post by sjt »

Not sure if sarcasm..... it has to do with sourcing down (FYI - down is from birds). Down can be obtained while the bird is alive by live plucking, or after the bird is dead. Personally I prefer Merino Wool for warmth since no sheep need be harmed to obtain. More info at following link:

https://responsibledown.org/new-down-st ... with-peta/
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

davidkw wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 pm How much goose down are they? LLBean and North Face are outstanding
I'll second LLBean being great. When I went to Antarctica I wore their Baxter State Parka and was warm as could be. It was about a decade ago and I recall it being on sale for under $200. The comparable Canada Goose parkas are now close to $1,000. I see a lot of stylish people walking around downtown Chicago with Canada Goose jackets, and they do seem to be fairly well made so I am looking forward to picking one up at Goodwill in a few years when fashion changes and people start tossing them.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 am
I guess it's all right when an adult buys one with their own funds, but my son tells me that at Yale, students wearing Canada Goose are the objects of ridicule ("aw, did Daddy only buy you one of those jackets? poor baby"). Many families there can afford them, but I hear that some sensitive kids stop wearing them soon after their first appearance; some other kids enjoy the attention.
overpriced status symbol - So what? You're not paying for it.
objects of ridicule - A friend actually went out to buy a *second* jacket with the greyed out logo (because the original logo is too recognizable) for exactly this reason.

I checked backcountry.com - They do not stock the jackets with the greyed out logo, unfortunately.
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Please consider responsibly-sourced down if you are considering such a jacket and are humane. Thanks,

Mike
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

Is there any reason not to layer versus wearing a jacket like Canada Goose?

I feel like Patagonia, Arc'teryx, etc in layers is a much more viable route?
sjt

Post by sjt »

Keepcalm wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 am Is there any reason not to layer versus wearing a jacket like Canada Goose?

I feel like Patagonia, Arc'teryx, etc in layers is a much more viable route?
Down insulates by trapping air and is prized for being light, easy to compress, long-lasting and breathable. It’s the insulation of choice in cold, dry conditions, or whenever reducing weight and saving space are top priorities.

Layering is fine, but down can be preferred by backpackers due to being lightweight and easy to compress while still providing a lot of warmth. I bought a North Face Shellrock vest on clearance from REI for under $50 and it keeps my core warm - I add Smartwool base layers if I'm going to be out in the cold for an extended period (it doesn't get too cold in NC even mid winter).
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
targetconfusion

Post by targetconfusion »

Does anyone find themselves wishing for better insulating data to characterizing winter coats? The common down metric now is fill power, which is basically insulating value per pound but says nothing of (1) the total insulation mass or (2) insulating materials other than down. Occasionally you can find how much total insulation is in there, but even that doesn't say how it's distributed. To my knowledge, there's no standardized test method for warmth ratings, and so marketing statements like "rated to -40C" are not meaningful. There are sites like Outdoorgearlab that do fairly comprehensive reviews but stop short of actual measurements.

How many degrees C/minute does a jug of warm water lose when enveloped in coat X and hung in a freezer at temperature Y? The answer to that is, in my view, the gold standard.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

sjt wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 am

Not sure if sarcasm..... it has to do with sourcing down (FYI - down is from birds). Down can be obtained while the bird is alive by live plucking, or after the bird is dead. Personally I prefer Merino Wool for warmth since no sheep need be harmed to obtain. More info at following link:

https://responsibledown.org/new-down-st ... with-peta/
No sarcasm, I didn't know! Thanks for the link.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Last edited by ladders11 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ladders11 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 am
targetconfusion wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:53 am Does anyone find themselves wishing for better insulating data to characterizing winter coats? The common down metric now is fill power, which is basically insulating value per pound but says nothing of (1) the total insulation mass or (2) insulating materials other than down. Occasionally you can find how much total insulation is in there, but even that doesn't say how it's distributed. To my knowledge, there's no standardized test method for warmth ratings, and so marketing statements like "rated to -40C" are not meaningful. There are sites like Outdoorgearlab that do fairly comprehensive reviews but stop short of actual measurements.

How many degrees C/minute does a jug of warm water lose when enveloped in coat X and hung in a freezer at temperature Y? The answer to that is, in my view, the gold standard.
Agree with you. I've been shopping for a winter coat and found selection in stores to be weak, prices high, and my size is rare. So, shopping online and just hard to tell how warm a given coat will be, or how waterproof. I wear a Medium if the cut is slim and Small otherwise, so fit is a challenge.

Online retailers, please measure your jackets.
About the "fit"... it's almost impossible at times, without actually trying things on.

That's why it was so helpful that Backcountry would send out several (e.g., quite a few!) so I could try them on. Each "style" jacket could fit quite differently, even in the same size, same manufacturer (Canada Goose).

I've noticed (due to this thread) that Canada Goose now seems to have the same jacket style in a regular size range and something called "fusion" (I think that's what it was). I didn't look to see if that was more slender, or shorter, or for wider hips or shoulders or whatever...??

RM
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

great feedback.

stuck between the Langford and the chateau. love the Langford but question the velcro.

any experience with either?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

No experience with these two, but I remember when I was trying on the seemingly endless supply of styles and sizes from Backcountry, one thing did stand out that I had not considered.

I really preferred the parka with the *diagonal* opening for the pockets. Easy to put one's hands into if standing around, etc.

The "patch" pockets that open only from the top, not so much.
But these might hold more small stuff, so it depends upon your expected use.

I also chose to try only parkas that had the more durable fabric and best level of water/wind-proofing/resistance.
I can't quite tell if these differ wrt these factors.

RM
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:59 am No experience with these two, but I remember when I was trying on the seemingly endless supply of styles and sizes from Backcountry, one thing did stand out that I had not considered.

I really preferred the parka with the *diagonal* opening for the pockets. Easy to put one's hands into if standing around, etc.

I also chose to try only parkas that had the more durable fabric and best level of water/wind-proofing/resistance.

RM
If you have a minute. Look up the Cheateu and the Langford. I really like the length and aesthetics of the Langford, but you will notice the zipper flap and pockets are all velcro secured.....should this bother me? It just feels cheap to me versus the oversized buttons on the Chateau (like a pea coat would be).

For instance there was one review that took note that when they sat down the velcro would come undone at times. The alternative is the fact every time you wear the Chateau you have to secure every button for the jacket to really look "complete" which can become an annoyance every time you want to wear the jacket.

Superficial issues but not so much on a 950.00 jacket.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Keepcalm wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 am
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:59 am No experience with these two, but I remember when I was trying on the seemingly endless supply of styles and sizes from Backcountry, one thing did stand out that I had not considered.

RM
If you have a minute. Look up the Cheateu and the Langford. I really like the length and aesthetics of the Langford, but you will notice the zipper flap and pockets are all velcro secured.....should this bother me? It just feels cheap to me versus the oversized buttons on the Chateau (like a pea coat would be).

For instance there was one review that took note that when they sat down the velcro would come undone at times. The alternative is the fact every time you wear the Chateau you have to secure every button for the jacket to really look "complete" which can become an annoyance every time you want to wear the jacket.

Superficial issues but not so much on a 950.00 jacket.
I've got them both open here (on the screen, not the physical jackets!).

I'd rather not fumble with buttons in severe weather conditions. Yeah, I might be putting it on inside, but maybe if I need to access inside pockets or adjust something, or just remove/add a layer, or such.

Mine has the velcro, and I haven't noticed it opening up. But there should still be a zipper; I doubt that's going to cause cold air to get in (?).

The Langford looks longer.

This is all why I kept having more jackets sent out, plus in 2 sizes each, as the sizing varied between styles.

I ended up with a slightly longer style, with the diagonal pockets, and the durable fabric.

I'm female, and I also tried a *long* parka (Canada Goose and another label, with a style I much preferred).
But I'm not tall (meaning shorter than average), and I felt like I was wearing a sleeping bag that had been cut off.
And in semi-deep snow, it would probably interfere, although I'd probably not be out for long. Our biggest concern was for very cold weather travel, which is unlikely to include long hikes in deep snow. More like, short walks, or standing around (like at night, on a moving ship, in Arctic conditions - and we plan to take more such trips).

As I mentioned, I was impressed with how it was made.
And I liked that the fur ruff could be removed. Later, I saw same style available without it for a small savings, but, no surprise, it was sold out.

When do you "need" it?
This is early in the season. I'm seeing lots of these sizes/colors already sold out. Those would probably be coming back.
I purchased mind after the new year holidays, and there was a reasonable choice available.

RM
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Where do you think the down feathers and fur come from?

Usually Chinese factory 'farms' with horrendous living conditions.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 am
I lived in Connecticut for 8 years, it doesn't even get cold there. Wearing Canada Goose down jackets lol
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

I found this while looking up Canada Goose competitors: https://www.66north.com/us
It's not any cheaper, and you will have to ship (import) from Iceland, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with 66 North?
finanzfrau

Post by finanzfrau »

I am expecting mine to last 10+ years. I have lived in Canada and Finland.So I have seen a lot of cold winters.
A good jacket is worth it in my opinion. I love my Canada Goose jacket.
The last time I checked they were made in Canada unlike the other brands.