What to do with >$1000 in Amazon credits?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cookymonster

What to do with >$1000 in Amazon credits?

Post by cookymonster »

I've been accumulating Amazon credit faster than I've desired to spend it. Mainly this came in the form of a $1000 Amazon gift card I got through purchasing a subscription for CME, but I also will have another $100 soon from a referral bonus. Some credit accrues from Coinstar redemptions as well.

I looked at my purchases in 2018 and saw I've spent about $350 in 2018. The largest purchases were for a new Fire Tablet and $120 worth of bulk almonds.

The credits can't be transferred to family and friends, and so far I haven't found anyone interested in me placing the order to their address (coupled with a reimbursement through Paypal). I don't really spend money on holiday gifts.

It bugs me to see this money sitting there earning nothing now that interests rates are going above 2%, and at this rate it will take me 2-3 years to spend it down. At the same time, I don't want to spend it on things I don't need or things I can get cheaper elsewhere like at Wal-Mart or eBay.

Anyone have suggestions for large everyday purchases that might help me spend this down, perhaps based on experience?
Dottie57

Re: What to do with >$1000 in Amazon credits?

Post by Dottie57 »

Pretty trite, but Books?

If you have a whole foods near you, how about groceries? If they take amazon gift cards?

Household goods? Gardening implements? Audio visual?

Something you wouldn’t usually buy, but can because you have thegift card.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

You can order nonperishable grocery items.
The Sensible Steward
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

I have found that one some food items, especially organic or natural foods that Whole Foods (now owned by Amazon) carry, can be cheaply purchased through Amazon.com.

If you itemize charitable deductions on your taxes you might explore using your gift card balances to purchase bulk food items and donating them to a food pantry, purchasing school or office supplies for a nearby school, or using your gift card balances to buy toys and donate them to Toys for Tots .
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
JeanMich

Post by JeanMich »

Everytime you need to make any kind of purchase check Amazon first. Even if it costs slightly more, it will cost you nothing and be delivered to your door.
Topic Author
cookymonster

Post by cookymonster »

nonperishable grocery items are what I'm thinking of. I'll be due to order another 25 pound bag of quinoa in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate the suggestions so far. I don't spend a lot of money except on groceries and vacations.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Save it for when you need to replace a major appliance like a refrigerator. As long as the credits don't expire you should be able to wait that long.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaynick

Post by yaynick »

If have a use for them, buy third party gift cards. They sell Whole Foods, Uber, and Airbnb gift cards among others. Your Amazon balance can be used to purchase these.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Honestly, as you know, they never expire.

At one point, we had north of $1k in credits. I have just been using them over the years. Down to about $300 now. We only use them for items we would have normally purchased.

This way we don't "waste" any of the funds.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

yaynick wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am If have a use for them, buy third party gift cards. They sell Whole Foods, Uber, and Airbnb gift cards among others. Your Amazon balance can be used to purchase these.
Be careful, make sure to use the physical gift cards within the first 30 days. Sitting on gift cards is a recipe for them to somehow be hacked or otherwise and worthless when you go to use them.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

JeanMich wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 am Everytime you need to make any kind of purchase check Amazon first. Even if it costs slightly more, it will cost you nothing and be delivered to your door.
+1

The exceptions would be items such as electronics where you would forego extending the warranty via the use of a credit card.
madpunster

Post by madpunster »

I keep a list of things that pique my curiosity. When I have Amazon credits, I'll scratch that itch. Sometimes the exploration yields some great results. While these are not $1000 items, they might help you come up with your own list.

yubikey - Vanguard recommended
raspberry pi - media center, linux box, Wolfram Mathematica for free
arduino kit - I miss my old radio shack kits
dashcams - like carrying an umbrella to keep away the rain
digital temp controller (for sous vide) - stick probe into old slow cooker with hole up top
aeropress coffee press - small, elegant, great on trips and everyday
swisstech utili-keys - you can't have too many of these
universal laptop charger - this is the stuff that makes heroes
mini quadcopter - learn to fly on the cheap to keep from trashing $1000 model first time out
solder station and 63/37 solder - a cheapo soldering iron trashes your expensive component
laser printer toner refill kits - keep old non chipped printer printing
infrared temp gun - great for annoying spouse and BBQing
ODBII scan tool - for check engine light, pre-smog check, used car check - live data a plus
hotel pillows - a good night's rest is priceless
microsd cards - memory corrupts all the time, useful for phones etc
SSD - solid state drives kick butt
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

FYI, there is a trick to transfer the balance to other accounts via gift of prime memberships:

https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deal ... mberships/

I’ve used it multiple times
Topic Author
cookymonster

Post by cookymonster »

Gift cards are a good suggestion. It would be nice if they had Wal-Mart. I probably will spring for Airbnb and possibly one for Southwest. Otherwise I can't easily think of one I'm sure to use quickly.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Some ideas:
There are clothing items that wear out that can all be purchased on Amazon. I usually get shoes and athletic clothes at Amazon these days. You can get some Darn Tough socks while you are at it.

Anker USB fast chargers if your phone supports it.

End of year means tax software.

Agree with bed pillows.

Zeiss eyeglass wipes.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
leeks

Post by leeks »

Many many of our household purchases are on Amazon (we live in a city with no car and nearby retail offers high prices and limited selection - a lot of things are cheaper on Amazon and it is so very convenient). Yes, the packaging and shipping are inefficient and wasteful.

Higher ticket items we have used Amazon for include: clothing, shoes, furniture (small tables, wood dining chairs, patio table, bench, folding table/chairs, coat rack, etc), area rug, kitchen gadgets/knives/baking pans, kids stuff (high chair, travel crib, bike seats, stroller, carseats), linen sheets, wool mattress toppers, replacement cover for ikea couch, garden pruners, printer, scanner, hard drive, tools, watch, oil-filled space heaters, tower fans, HEPA air purifier, humidifier, vacuum cleaner, luggage/backpacks, bicycle accessories/maintenance supplies, compost tumbler, plastic storage shed, bathrobes, curtain rods, cotton & linen curtains.

Some recurring purchases can be reasonably priced, especially if available as "subscribe and save" (supplements/vitamins, personal care/beauty products, diapers, replacement filters for water filter/air filter/range hood, vacuum bags, specialty cleaning products, etc).
Momus

Post by Momus »

Ask a couple people you know, maybe they can help you spend it down give you a check/venmo/zelle in return. That's what I did.

I spent $750 the past 5 yrs.... I had to buy a friend a cell phone/electronic to spend it down and they gave me a check back.
Last edited by Momus on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:49 am Pretty trite, but Books?

If you have a whole foods near you, how about groceries? If they take amazon gift cards?

Household goods? Gardening implements? Audio visual?

Something you wouldn’t usually buy, but can because you have thegift card.
+`1

Prime Now - groceries, household goods - roughly same price as grocery store and will help you use up the $1000
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

I wonder if it might be transferred /donated to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, assuming that the credits might be used by the Center in some manner.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Just start buying stuff on Amazon. Someone has a birthday coming up? Buy the gift on Amazon. Need a new toothbrush? Buy it on Amazon. Need laundry detergent? Buy it on Amazon. Vitamin D pills? Buy on Amazon. Need new cabin air filter/engine air filter/windshield wipers? Buy on Amazon.

It’ll get used faster than you think.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Amazon does sell gold if you have a place nearby to liquidate it at market value. In fact this would be a great manufactured spending technique I haven't heard of before.
Otherwise I'd buy normal stuff like groceries, electronics, household goods, clothing, etc. on Amazon. No rush. It's where I buy most everything now.
Dolphin1

Post by Dolphin1 »

Many charitable organizations have Amazon wish lists. If you have one you plan to donate to, see if they have a wish list and get them stuff from there instead of a cash donation this year.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

cookymonster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 pm Gift cards are a good suggestion. It would be nice if they had Wal-Mart. I probably will spring for Airbnb and possibly one for Southwest. Otherwise I can't easily think of one I'm sure to use quickly.
Gift card to one of their main competitors (Walmart)??
Mid-40’s
Watty

Post by Watty »

cookymonster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 am Anyone have suggestions for large everyday purchases that might help me spend this down, perhaps based on experience?
Computer, TV, cell phone, dehumidifier, furniture, or camera equipment.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

In my garage, I have a years supply of toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, vinyl gloves, detergent, wet wipes, dishwashing detergent, soap, body wash, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, canned foods, dry foods, Gatorade, other drinks, paper plates, plastic forks, napkins, plastic cups, and much more.

Many of these items go on sale regularly and get an extra 15% on their Subscribe and Save program. I'm ready for the next hurricane or big party. Oh, also a generator and a couple of gas cans. And motor oil and auto maintenance items.

With Black Friday coming up, are you due for a TV upgrade? A nice big OLED should solve your problem.
Momus

Post by Momus »

When someone doesn't know what to do with $1000+ credit at Amazon, it's probably because they find other retailers sell the same product with better price. That's my dilemma with Amazon, they are normally NOT the cheapest place to shop. I had a problem spending my gift card also. OP obviously shared the same sentiment and found spending on Amazon means paying a slightly higher price on whatever he wants to buy.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Are these normal Amazon points? I always have a ton because of their 5% cash back program, which works with Amazon S3 servers. You can log into Chase and take the money out as cash to your bank account, then invest or whatever.
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

I've purchased Airbnb gift cards through Amazon. You can only do it in $100 increments though, so multiple gift cards need to be purchased for a typical booking. For a typical vacation, it's not uncommon to spend $1000+ on accommodations.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:10 pm
yaynick wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am If have a use for them, buy third party gift cards. They sell Whole Foods, Uber, and Airbnb gift cards among others. Your Amazon balance can be used to purchase these.
Be careful, make sure to use the physical gift cards within the first 30 days. Sitting on gift cards is a recipe for them to somehow be hacked or otherwise and worthless when you go to use them.
True story. I've had this happen twice now. Once with $700 worth of gift cards from Home Depot and another time with $50 from CVS. Thankfully, both companies made me whole, but I'm sure they could have said, "too bad". Lesson learned - no more gift cards for me, regardless of discounting.
mouses

Post by mouses »

You can order things like pet food and litter to be delivered to animal rescue groups that have shelters and take it as a charitable item on Sched. A. Be sure to check with the groups first to find out what types of food, etc. they need. For example, some may need milk replacers for kittens, use particular brands of cat food or litter, cleaning supplies.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We get about $100/month in subscribe and save stuff. Our dog’s food, cat’s food, protein powder, supplements, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. Wife checks the list every month and adds and subtracts stuff from the delivery as needed. A couple of big boxes show up every month. The regular price is not always the cheapest, but between the 15% subscribe and save discount and the 5% for using the Amazon credit card, we can’t do better. Especially for how convenient it is.
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

In our market which us UHCL, we save a lot for money by using Amazon subscribe and save for things like tea bags, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, pet food, dry groceriec etc. We have over 20 subscriptions getting 15% off. Might be wrorth comparing to use up the balance.
Topic Author
cookymonster

Post by cookymonster »

Some preliminary comparisons of household items:

Clumping cat litter - $0.36/pound Wal-Mart, $0.57/pound Amazon
Laundry detergent - $0.04/oz. Wal-Mart, ~$0.05/oz. Amazon (not a big difference, but too inexpensive to count for much anyway)
Toilet paper - $0.06/100 sheets Wal-Mart, $0.13/100 sheets Amazon

Guess I may be holding on to the credit for a while, maybe until Prime Day next year. I need to figure out another way to cash in coins in the meantime.
rob

Post by rob »

cookymonster wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 am Guess I may be holding on to the credit for a while, maybe until Prime Day next year. I need to figure out another way to cash in coins in the meantime.
Some B&M banks still take them but you might want to get to the root of why your collecting so many coins... move more to credit cards (with cash back or other benefit).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
cookymonster

Post by cookymonster »

rob wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:04 am
cookymonster wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 am Guess I may be holding on to the credit for a while, maybe until Prime Day next year. I need to figure out another way to cash in coins in the meantime.
Some B&M banks still take them but you might want to get to the root of why your collecting so many coins... move more to credit cards (with cash back or other benefit).
I exclusively use credit cards except at the cash only barber shop. These are just coins I've picked up from the sidewalk and below the automatic checkouts. I think I've twice cashed out for the $5 minimum at Coinstar this year. Nice but not a game changer.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I needed a couple of new tires for the Bronco. My usual repair place wanted $250 for them. Amazon was equal to the cheapest I could get online, about $78 each with tax. Showed up on the front porch. The garage charged $35 to mount and balance, so I saved about $60, plus I used my Discover with the 5% quarterly bonus. Of course, I was also getting $900 worth of front-end work done.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Few other ideas for small purchases:

Shoes (for brands where you know the size)
Household/bathroom supplies
Clothing (things you know you like, not being able to try on is a pain)
Electronics
Phone when it needs replacement

Pretty much whatever you may buy, check amazon first if the $1000 is burning a hole in your pocket. Or just purchase it slowly over time. I tend to accumulate Amazon too, as I play the Chase Freedom quarterly purchase game, and sometimes buy Amazon gift cards to top off a quarter. I just spend it over time...
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

cookymonster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 am Mainly this came in the form of a $1000 Amazon gift card I got through purchasing a subscription for CME, but I also will have another $100 soon from a referral bonus.
That these CME online journals/courses would offer such a bonus always makes me feel like I'm getting swindled. :? I keep one journal subscription ($350/yr) which gives me access to 70 CME/yr and will attend the occasional local conference.

Anyhow, I digress... yeah, unless the credit expires I'd save it for a rainy (snowy) day. I bought a snowblower from Amazon last year and it was a lifesaver.
researcher

Post by researcher »

cookymonster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 am It bugs me to see this money sitting there earning nothing now that interests rates are going above 2%, and at this rate it will take me 2-3 years to spend it down. At the same time, I don't want to spend it on things I don't need or things I can get cheaper elsewhere like at Wal-Mart or eBay.

Anyone have suggestions for large everyday purchases that might help me spend this down, perhaps based on experience?
You're too caught up on items being marginally less expensive somewhere else. Your Amazon gift cards are FREE money.
Would you rather spend $10 of your own money, or $11 worth of free gift cards, on laundry detergent?

I'd much rather use an extra $1 of free money now, instead of holding onto & keeping track of it for the next 5+ years, waiting for the perfect time or items to buy from Amazon.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I looked at it, but coins were selling at a $200 premium to $1200 price of gold.
alpenglow wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 amTrue story. I've had this happen twice now. Once with $700 worth of gift cards from Home Depot and another time with $50 from CVS. Thankfully, both companies made me whole, but I'm sure they could have said, "too bad". Lesson learned - no more gift cards for me, regardless of discounting.
I still kick myself for letting cash on a visa gift card expire. It wasn't that much but it's worse than losing cash. The lost cash is gone and there's no memory of it. The worthless plastic is there to remind you of the loss and to rub it in. It's soured me to the idea of gift cards and I avoid them now.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

researcher wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 pm
cookymonster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 am It bugs me to see this money sitting there earning nothing now that interests rates are going above 2%, and at this rate it will take me 2-3 years to spend it down. At the same time, I don't want to spend it on things I don't need or things I can get cheaper elsewhere like at Wal-Mart or eBay.

You're too caught up on items being marginally less expensive somewhere else. Your Amazon gift cards are FREE money.
Would you rather spend $10 of your own money, or $11 worth of free gift cards, on laundry detergent?

I'd much rather use an extra $1 of free money now, instead of holding onto & keeping track of it for the next 5+ years, waiting for the perfect time or items to buy from Amazon.
+1
Tal-

Post by Tal- »

madpunster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm I keep a list of things that pique my curiosity. When I have Amazon credits, I'll scratch that itch. Sometimes the exploration yields some great results. While these are not $1000 items, they might help you come up with your own list.

digital temp controller (for sous vide) - stick probe into old slow cooker with hole up top
mini quadcopter - learn to fly on the cheap to keep from trashing $1000 model first time out
solder station and 63/37 solder - a cheapo soldering iron trashes your expensive component
ODBII scan tool - for check engine light, pre-smog check, used car check - live data a plus
Madpunster just won the internets.
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

OP, it sounds like you don’t use Amazon enough for these credits useful to you. If so, why not abandon the idea of using them for yourself and instead purchase items needed by a local charity you value?

This would help others and end any anxiety you feel about not using the credits.

Andy
matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher »

Tal- wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm
madpunster wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm I keep a list of things that pique my curiosity. When I have Amazon credits, I'll scratch that itch. Sometimes the exploration yields some great results. While these are not $1000 items, they might help you come up with your own list.

Madpunster just won the internets.
For real. Above post is one of the few useful items on here. Who doesn't need an infrared temp gun to annoy their wife with. "What's your problem? Oh, let me check. This here says you're running a hundred and eight degrees. You need to chill out!" Hahahaha
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I can guarantee you that the principal of you neighborhood public elementary school can email you a mile long list of things that the school needs by the end of the day.
Carson

Post by Carson »

cookymonster wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 am I need to figure out another way to cash in coins in the meantime.
We are able to use coinstar to redeem for credit with the same store as the machine (eg, the grocery store). That would prevent you from accumulating any more pesky credits.

I also think donating the credits to charity would be totally amazing. I run a PTA and the amount of stuff we need from amazon to further our kids' educations is remarkable.
FloRidaRocky

Post by FloRidaRocky »

Liquidate to cash by buying Stockpile gift cards. Then sell the stock and transfer the money to your bank account. I just put thirty three cards in my cart for a total of $988.35 with $4.49 shipping.

It will be a bit of work setting up the account and punching in 33 codes from the gift cards. Maybe Amazon has $100 value cards, I didn't do a deep search.

The only risk is stock price movement and you can't put in limit orders when you sell the stock on the Stockpile app so you are at the mercy of however they determine share price on the sale.
heyeaglefn

Post by heyeaglefn »

FloRidaRocky wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 pm Liquidate to cash by buying Stockpile gift cards. Then sell the stock and transfer the money to your bank account. I just put thirty three cards in my cart for a total of $988.35 with $4.49 shipping.

It will be a bit of work setting up the account and punching in 33 codes from the gift cards. Maybe Amazon has $100 value cards, I didn't do a deep search.

The only risk is stock price movement and you can't put in limit orders when you sell the stock on the Stockpile app so you are at the mercy of however they determine share price on the sale.
Aren't you losing $150+doing this method? Doesn't seem very efficient.
FloRidaRocky

Post by FloRidaRocky »

"Aren't you losing $150+doing this method? Doesn't seem very efficient."

No, it's a flat $5 for shipping, no matter how many cards I added to my cart. But I didn't go all the way through with placing the order so I could be wrong.

I recently used this method to liquidate some credit card points. In that case, they sent me the cards electronically, so there was no shipping charges.

Oh, are you referring to the stock buy and sell fees? I didn't consider that.