Morning/Nighttime Stretching Routine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Morning/Nighttime Stretching Routine

Post by fishmonger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Trying to keep this away from the medical advice realm. I just graduated from PT after having a pinched nerve in my neck for about the last 3 months.

I'm wondering if any of you have a morning or night-time stretching routine? I'm fairly active, and always do a dynamic warmup before a gym session. But at 36 I'm realizing that I could benefit from being more flexible in general. Yoga is also in the plan.

Miss the days when I was in my early 20s and could just "show up" to the gym or flag football games and jump right into it

ikowik

Re: Morning/Nighttime Stretching Routine

Post by ikowik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:01 pm

SurayaNamaskar ("Sun salutation"- google it) in the morning as I wait for tea to brew. Each stretch has ten stages coordinated with breathing in an out. Started with 3 sets, now up to 10, feel much better.

laidback_and_relaxed

Post by laidback_and_relaxed » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:58 am

I need to add a little context to my situation before I answer completely. I recently stopped working and focus now on enjoying life, reflecting on my past, getting healthy and recently started researching Christian Theologies, and I live alone. I had one knee operation about 12 years ago and the other knee operated on about 7 years ago, after a youthful 15 to 20 years of regularly playing racquetball 5 to 7 times a week (64 y/o). I have had a restricted walking gait for those years (last 15 years or so) that several doctors and PT's haven't been able to correct. I've been hoping that the stretching and light walks would fix it. I haven't been able to walk more than a mile or so without pain, but could ride a bike for hours. Go figure.

Since the 1st knee operation, I started stretching day and night, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. I'm currently exercising, stretching, or walking about 4 hours a day. Just recently I've been able to return to a particular stretch that seems to be straightening out my gait and making my walk more efficient and pleasurable, but I'll wait on claiming victory for a few more months. Loosing 70 pounds has helped.

I also enjoy listening to music and podcasts (financial news, financial planning and now Christian Theology topics) while exercising and stretching. I go through 3 or 4 sets of earbuds for my iPhone each year. You would think they would have perfected the jack they use for earbuds to connect with the iPhone, but they haven't. Bluetooth earbuds would require to many recharges through the day to make any sense.

Play on!

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 am

44 y/o here. Primarily a runner. I do not have a disciplined routine, but I recognize how beneficial it would be. I try to take a few minutes in the morning not long after I get up to do a few things, mostly focused on the back. Just some trunk rotation type things. I am 100% a desk jockey at work, but will often stand up and use chair legs to stretch calves.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:33 am

I start every morning with some movement prep and a series of squat progressions, culminated by a few minutes in my inversion table. Takes about 10 minutes. Over two decades of power and olympic lifting, and now sitting for several hours a day, has resulted in some tight hips and occasional lumbar stiffness/pain. On the rare day that I don't start my day this way, I definitely feel it.

mesmer

Post by mesmer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 am

I don’t always stretch in the morning regularly, though I should. If my body feels more stiff, I do spend some time stretching before and after getting out of bed. At night, I do foam rolling of my quads, IT bands, inner thighs, back, shoulder, glutes, etc for about 10 minutes. I sit a lot during the day so this is important. If you do yoga regularly and it’s quality enough, you’ll be stretching often and your flexibility will really increase over time.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am

Yep, some brief stretching before getting out of bed but more would be helpful since hamstrings are tight and there is a history of back problems.

Tim

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 am

You have to be careful when you have an existing neck problem. Before starting a yoga practice or stretching routine I recommend scheduling one private session with a yoga instructor, preferably one with experience working with people with spine/neck issues, to design a personal stretching program for you. The instructor can teach you modifications that you can use in a yoga class to avoid aggravating your neck again. It's well worth the money.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:48 am

My favorite stretch routine is a 25-minute segment of "Classical Stretch," from many local PBS TV stations. You can find some samples on youtube. I was fortunate enough to buy DVDs of two season on ebay.

At age 73, I've found her gentle stretch routines to be excellent exercises - easy on the joints. I also discovered that cutting back on using gym equipment such as elliptical machines and replacing it with gentle stretching has reduced joint pain.

I rarely miss a morning of Classical Stretch. (Her clients range from professional football players to 80 year-old retirees.)

And these free videos (on your local PBS station) are sure to be a hit with true Bogleheads.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am

Retired1809 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:48 am
My favorite stretch routine is a 25-minute segment of "Classical Stretch," from many local PBS TV stations. You can find some samples on youtube. I was fortunate enough to buy DVDs of two season on ebay.

At age 73, I've found her gentle stretch routines to be excellent exercises - easy on the joints. I also discovered that cutting back on using gym equipment such as elliptical machines and replacing it with gentle stretching has reduced joint pain.

I rarely miss a morning of Classical Stretch. (Her clients range from professional football players to 80 year-old retirees.)

And these free videos (on your local PBS station) are sure to be a hit with true Bogleheads.

I love Classical Stretch also!!! It has increased my flexibility and has improved my posture.
It has helped my balance. Takes away/prevents stiffness !
I am 70 and have been doing CS for 10 years.

As retired1809 says, Miranda's clients range from professional football players to 80 year-old retirees.

I tell EVERYONE about it. I have about 15 episodes recorded from public broadcasting channel on my DVR and
I use those a lot..but I know by heart so many of the gentle stretches and routines as I have done them so much.
There are also many youtube videos you can watch. You don't have to buy any CD' but they are available.

look below for testimonials:
http://66.114.75.24/healing.html

here is just one:
I discovered Classical Stretch four years ago and not only do a workout almost every day but own two sets of several seasons, plus several Essentric's DVDs (one set is for me to use in Tucson, AZ, my home town, and the other set is for me to use when my husband and I live in California for the summer). I am now 77 years old and was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis about eight years ago with a dismal prognosis of spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair due to the pain and degenerative symptoms of the disease. It was recommended that I do spinal surgery as soon as possible (laser would be the least invasive I was told). Well, the doctor was not aware of the power of stretching and exercising with Miranda Esmond-White! The pain and severity of the disease has lessened over the years, not progressed. I am more fit and trim than many people a lot younger (I have eaten healthy since 1979, exercised and even became a certified health coach in 2008 to help others as well) I can twist, turn, bend and put my head on my knees. I feel I owe it all to Classical Stretch!

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am

Your PT should have given you exercises to do...

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:19 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am
Your PT should have given you exercises to do...
Right- the PT should have and probably did give the original poster some homework. But we can always learn more.

I fell in March and broke my right arm. I was in
a sling for 6 weeks and then had 9 weeks of PT. My PT was great and taught me so much. Each week he gave me one or 2 more
exercises to do at home - some of which I still do. I asked him if he had heard of Classical Stretch and he said he had and
had bought some DVDs for his mom as she liked CS.

I was helping a friend who hurt her neck and came across these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWxPMyYTS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cog4Dds__a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxXAYRixcYM

I don't have neck issues but I tried some of what Bob and Brad say to do and these stretches
for the neck are relaxing and might even prevent problems. Prevention is always easier than cure.