Cancun in a few weeks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Flymore

Cancun in a few weeks

Post by Flymore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 am

DW suggested a Cancun trip, haven't done one yet.
We're NOT going all inclusive, try not to drink that much.
Probably try to go to the ruins again if we can find a decent tour group through the hotel.
I'd rent a car and drive :D , but AAA says that's NOT ok! :P
We'll be on the strip with the other hotels, so plan on eating along there.
There's a McDonalds we may try, not sure if that's ok?

Thanks

tenkuky

Re: Cancun in a few weeks

Post by tenkuky » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Absolutely rent a car and drive to ruins (both to west at Chichen and south to Tulum). Freedom of pacing and timing. Roads are excellent going west, not bad going south.
Leave early (real early) and get to ruins at opening time (around 8 AM). Avoids the crazy tour bus crowd later and the trinket sellers.
Nothing like having ruins to mostly yourself and other savvy travelers.
Please eat at the wonderful Las Palapas open food court instead of hotel food or MacD.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:31 pm

We stayed in Playa Del Carmen and took a bus to Tulum (cheap, school bus Mexican transit type of thing). Absolutely stunning down there. They also have some ancient ruins on the bluff. The sand is great and no one is on the beach.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Sounds wonderful! :D

thanks

Post by 2015 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just have a bottle of beer. :sharebeer

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Is there still a seaweed problem in Cancun? We were looking at going there mid-September but once we found out about the seaweed closing beaches, we went elsewhere.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:58 pm

RootSki wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm
Is there still a seaweed problem in Cancun? We were looking at going there mid-September but once we found out about the seaweed closing beaches, we went elsewhere.
No idea, this is the DW's idea. :happy

Post by 2015 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Flymore wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm
Keep an idea on what DW drinks as well. Seriously. If you read the series of articles in the coverage by the Star Tribune (linked above) failure to be aware can lead to some pretty undesirable consequences. Have a good time, but stay aware!

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:35 pm

Agree with others - absolutely go to at least Tulum to see the ruins. Chicin Itza is not terrible close.

Also - make sure you visit at least one cenote. If you go to Tulum, Gran Cenote is close. They are spectacular, clear, freshwater swimming holes.

Would also highly recommend snorkeling out on the coral reef. You can get a local boat from the town center of Puerto Morales for next to nothing.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 pm

2015 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 pm
Flymore wrote:
Keep an idea on what DW drinks as well. Seriously. If you read the series of articles in the coverage by the Star Tribune (linked above) failure to be aware can lead to some pretty undesirable consequences. Have a good time, but stay aware!
Also don't get sick or injured in any way as you will likely be gouged for medical services by the locals.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Flymore wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 am
Probably try to go to the ruins again if we can find a decent tour group through the hotel.
I agree that not getting a rental car is a good idea for your first trip there especially if you no not speak good Spanish.

It was over ten years ago but we ended up hiring a taxi for the day to go to Chichen Itza and for three people it was just a bit more than a tour would have cost except that it did not include lunch. I don't know what it would cost today. We had heard about people having problems with the food outside the tourist area so taking food with us was a preferable options for us anyway. Be sure to agree if you will take the faster toll road and if the toll charges are included. Even if it costs more taking the toll road is a lot faster and safer.

When we had been taking taxis earlier in the week we had found a driver that we liked that spoke good english and arranged for him to pick us up at about 7:00 AM to get there before the crowds and heat. Your hotel may also be able to help you hire a taxi for the day. We hired a driver for the day on several different trips and that seemed to be a very good day for the driver and they were always happy to be hired for the day. As I recall we tipped about 10% too.

We also went to the Ik Kil Cenote which is near Chichen Itza and also got there before the bus crowds and that was one of highlights of our trip. Be sure to take a swimming suit.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... nsula.html

I don't recall if it was on that day that we did it but also seeing the ruins at Coba or Tulum is a possibility on the way back from Chichen Itza. The beach is nice at Tulum so if you go there take a swimming suit. Personally compared to the other ruins I didn't find Tulum all that interesting.
Flymore wrote:
We'll be on the strip with the other hotels, so plan on eating along there.
This was over ten years ago but we found there to be very limited restaurants in the hotel zone. The story we heard was that the all inclusive resorts had put most of the restaurants out of business since so few people eat out when they are staying at an all inclusive resort. Be sure to research what this is like now.

A couple of other things,

I'm not sure the current status of the crime is but drowning is probably a bigger risk. They don't publicise it a lot but there are a frequent drownings of tourists at Cancun because the ocean can be very rough and people tend to drink a lot which is a bad combination. Take this very seriously.

The sun is fierce there so take a lot of sunblock and use it and reapply it several times a day. You may need to pack it into small bottles to get through security but take it with you. I don't know if they have a high duty or some other tax but sunblock is very expensive if you buy it there even if you get it at some place like Walmart(Yes they have Walmarts and Costco there :D ). If you have a place with a kitchen it may make sense to take a taxi to Costco or Walmart to stock up on supplies.

My understanding is that the maids at the hotel get paid next to nothing and may only get paid tips. I am pretty anti-tipping but that is one place where I tip the maids each day since you may have different maids on different days. Be sure to look up what is appropriate but as I recall the peso equivalent of several dollars a day was plenty. It is best to tip in pesos since you can likely get a MUCH better exchange rate through your ATM then they can get at some streetside exchange booth.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Been going to Cancun for past twenty years as I have a time share. Never drove but you should be aware of speed bumps along the highways. You either reduce your speed while driving on them or you lose your car's transmission and you are out a car.
Always be respectful to the police as Mexican jails are not a place you want to inhabit.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Why Cancun (as opposed to other places along the coast starting with Playa del Carmen)?

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:07 am

Take the fairy East to Isla mujeres, get a golf cart. North Beach, South coast, dolphin park, turtle farm, whale shark tour :moneybag
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 am

Been to both Cancun and Playa de Carmen. Playa is more convenient as their Fifth Avrnue, an unpaved Avenue and thirty blocks long has all the souvenir shops, restaurants, dance clubs and bars that you want. Cancun town is more elongated, and is intersected by Avenues that are more like Highways. Carmen has more younger tourists. I prefer Playa de Carmen as their beaches are more quiet and their Seas are a bit calmer. Cancun's Hotel Zone is too built up for me.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm

2015 wrote:
Flymore wrote:
I’d check it out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cancun+ ... 68&bih=890

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Mexican beer is great. Probably a dozen different brands. Made much fresher there as it made locally as it does not have to be shipped to the States.
And half the price of US made beers.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:52 pm

And PDC has a mezcal place that is terrific.
For drinks, I suggest getting a bottle of tequila and a large 2 L of Squirt (grapefruit) soda and limes at the supermarket.
Should last for many Palomas for your trip and waay cheaper than buying drinks at a bar/hotel.
Made ours last a week and they are so refreshing.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:12 pm

TheHouse7 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:07 am
Take the fairy East to Isla mujeres, get a golf cart. North Beach, South coast, dolphin park, turtle farm, whale shark tour :moneybag
Sounds great, thanks

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:13 pm

RootSki wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm
2015 wrote:
Flymore wrote:
I’d check it out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cancun+ ... 68&bih=890
Thanks, but DW doesn't drink much.
Maybe a virgin pina collata. :D

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm

zero sum guy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 pm
Mexican beer is great. Probably a dozen different brands. Made much fresher there as it made locally as it does not have to be shipped to the States.
And half the price of US made beers.
I like Mexican beer, am looking forward to it. :beer

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 pm
Why Cancun (as opposed to other places along the coast starting with Playa del Carmen)?
DW wanted to go.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Loved Modelo Especial, Pacifico and Victoria beers. Sol is a clean tasting beer, but better than Bud or Miller.
Try also Bohemia and Modelo Dark too.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:29 pm

You should hear what my Spanish prof has to say about Cancun. No Spanish or local currency needed - use dollars. To me its a glitzy, touristy American resort with lousy buses and corrupt police. My taxi driver was stopped by the police and gave a $25.00 bribe - told me it was better for him and them. I was there for a long weekend before I realized what the place was like. I took day trips to Tulum and Chichen Itza. I enjoyed that. I can understand why people with young children want to go to all inclusive resorts or if you like Scuba Diving. To each his/her own. I would not go back if you paid me.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Been going to Cancun since 1991 with no exposure to corrupt police nor crime. Pretty safe in the Hotel Zone. As for lousy buses, I rather used them in lieu of taxis as there are municipal buses going to Cancun town every five minutes. Much cheaper than taxis.

I believe buses charge 8 pesos each way. They zoom into Cancun town fast. In fact, you need to get into your seat quickly as the bus goes from 0 to 40 miles per hour in about five seconds. Drivers are helpful in stopping in front of your hotel but their English is limited. Never had a bus accident.

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

We're heading down to that area in a few weeks too! Heading to Playa del Carmen for a long weekend in early November.

Any recommendations from people on how to best handle money down there? Thinking about just using bank ATMs as needed, curious about other people's experiences though regarding when and where to get pesos.

Also, how much money should one carry at a given time down there? Have heard that it is very cash based, so credit cards may not be as welcomed there as there are here in the US. Want to have enough to buy what we need, but don't want to lose much in case of theft.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I usually exchange my dollars for pesos at my hotel lobby conceirge. As good as a rate anyway, no funny money and no exchange charges however, if you do it through a credit card, you may pay a foreign currency fee. Consult your credit card company.
I try to pay in pesos and not through my credit card, as I don't want funny charges in my credit card when I get back to the States. However, I pay my hotel drink and other charges with my credit cards. I avoid ATMs. I do shop at Walmart and use either dollars or pesos. Better liquor, beer, souvenir and grocery prices there as I have a kitchen, microwave and refrigerator at my time shares in Cancun and the Playa De Carmen. I have Royal Resorts time shares since 1991 and no wood alcohol nor credit card shennigans there. No College Spring Break crowds either. Always nice and quiet.
I do want to warn you. When you fly into Cancun, you first go through customs before you pick up you luggage and then must go through another customs line with your luggage. You will be asked to hit a button, If it produces a red light, you have to be meet a customs officer who will go through your luggage with a fine tooth comb. If you produce a green light, you can walk through scot free. You will be given a stamped immigration ticket, which you must produce before you leave on your departing flight.
Failure to produce this, means you have to go to a separate Mexican immigration office, pay a fine and get a substitute approval form. So keep that signed form during your vacation.
Now, the interesting part. After you arrive and go through customs, the hard part comes. It is like Dante's Inferno.
You will enter a large area, where there are dozens of Mexcans offering you free rides to your hotels, free dinners and free breakfasts. Don't accept any of their offers. Some of them will say that they are from your hotel--they are not. They just want you to attend their Timeshare Seminar. They get paid by the suckers they bring in.
Instead go to the end of the area where there is a large centrally located desk that is the offically sanctioned government transportation agency. It is there that you can pay ticket prices for either a shared van or a private sedan to your hotel. Once, you pay this, you go outsde to that agency's parking spaces for your car or your van. I use a prepaid reservation with Thomas Moore which is associated with my Time Share Company with no problems.
When you get outside, be prepared for the heat and the humidity and don't, repeat Don't give your luggage to anyone.
Fyi,when you go to the airport for your departing flight, just take a cab to your airline's part of the terminal with no fuss or confusion. Like what you do in the States.
As for crime, at night, do not walk on the sidewalk facing the Lagoon. There are Alligators who lie very quietly for their dinner.
Once snatched by your leg or arm, you will be dragged into the Lagoon before La Policio can find and get you. But by that time, you are dead.
It has happened before.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 pm

+1 Isla Mujeres
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Museo Maya de Cancún is right before all of the resorts. It was brand new when we went in 2012 and was an amazing experience. It was a free day for locals and we met lots of nice people who helped us read the descriptions. If you like museums at all, this is a fantastic one.

We also walked to the local ruins, which was fun. When walking, you should remain alert for wildlife, particularly alligators.

We took a bus into town and enjoyed the local ambience away from all the drunk tourists.

cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm

zero sum guy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 pm
I usually exchange my dollars for pesos at my hotel lobby conceirge. As good as a rate anyway, no funny money and no exchange charges however, if you do it through a credit card, you may pay a foreign currency fee. Consult your credit card company.
I try to pay in pesos and not through my credit card, as I don't want funny charges in my credit card when I get back to the States. However, I pay my hotel drink and other charges with my credit cards. I avoid ATMs. I do shop at Walmart and use either dollars or pesos. Better liquor, beer, souvenir and grocery prices there as I have a kitchen, microwave and refrigerator at my time shares in Cancun and the Playa De Carmen. I have Royal Resorts time shares since 1991 and no wood alcohol nor credit card shennigans there. No College Spring Break crowds either. Always nice and quiet.
I do want to warn you. When you fly into Cancun, you first go through customs before you pick up you luggage and then must go through another customs line with your luggage. You will be asked to hit a button, If it produces a red light, you have to be meet a customs officer who will go through your luggage with a fine tooth comb. If you produce a green light, you can walk through scot free. You will be given a stamped immigration ticket, which you must produce before you leave on your departing flight.
Failure to produce this, means you have to go to a separate Mexican immigration office, pay a fine and get a substitute approval form. So keep that signed form during your vacation.
Now, the interesting part. After you arrive and go through customs, the hard part comes. It is like Dante's Inferno.
You will enter a large area, where there are dozens of Mexcans offering you free rides to your hotels, free dinners and free breakfasts. Don't accept any of their offers. Some of them will say that they are from your hotel--they are not. They just want you to attend their Timeshare Seminar. They get paid by the suckers they bring in.
Instead go to the end of the area where there is a large centrally located desk that is the offically sanctioned government transportation agency. It is there that you can pay ticket prices for either a shared van or a private sedan to your hotel. Once, you pay this, you go outsde to that agency's parking spaces for your car or your van. I use a prepaid reservation with Thomas Moore which is associated with my Time Share Company with no problems.
When you get outside, be prepared for the heat and the humidity and don't, repeat Don't give your luggage to anyone.
Fyi,when you go to the airport for your departing flight, just take a cab to your airline's part of the terminal with no fuss or confusion. Like what you do in the States.
As for crime, at night, do not walk on the sidewalk facing the Lagoon. There are Alligators who lie very quietly for their dinner.
Once snatched by your leg or arm, you will be dragged into the Lagoon before La Policio can find and get you. But by that time, you are dead.
It has happened before.
Wow..good info. Thanks! Have seen the videos on YouTube about the Cancun airport, so I think I know what you mean regarding the chaos just past the customs area. We have arranged transport from Cancun down and also have their cell number in case we get stuck.

I was actually planning to use the ATM machine down there for cash. Any reason why you avoid It? Assuming I would need to stick with bank owned ATM machines and not the stand alone ones that can presumably be hacked.

Also, how many pesos do you carry at a time when off property?

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Usually carry a couple of hundred dollars in pesos and say three hundred in US money.
But I usually stay at the time share. Although I drop a hundred dollars at Walmart in Cancun at beginning of vacation for a couple of six packs of Mexican beer, a bottle of tequila,a bottle of rum, and whatever you need to make Margueritas and some souvenir tequila glasses and women's coin purses for the friends back home, maybe some shampoo, toothpaste and whatever you need. Also, I buy Mexican cheese, sliced whole wheat bread, some eggs, a jar of peanut butter, a box of cold cereal, and a carton of milk.Don't exchange at stores or restaurants, you get lousy exchange rates. At Walmart, you can use both US and Mexican money.
You can dowload free apps for Money exchange rates. Very useful about what items really cost in US dollars.
I take the bus to Walmart in Cancun town and bus back to hotel. They run every five minutes-better than any US city. Non airconditioned, but when you are traveling at 40 mph, that air breeze is good enough.Have a grocery in the hotel, but prices are about 30 percent less at Walmart..
I dont use ATMs as bad guys use debit card skimmers . The hotel lobby conceirge is where I would put my trust for money exchanges. With them, I can always exchange back from Pesos to US dollars at the end of my vacation.
Always carry ID. Police can ask you for that.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Flymore wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:19 pm
Starfish wrote:
DW wanted to go.
The question was not who but why... I think you can have fun in Cancun but it is not anywhere on my list.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Starfish wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Flymore wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:19 pm
Starfish wrote:
DW wanted to go.
The question was not who but why... I think you can have fun in Cancun but it is not anywhere on my list.
I do not know why.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:33 pm

annielouise wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:57 pm
Museo Maya de Cancún is right before all of the resorts. It was brand new when we went in 2012 and was an amazing experience. It was a free day for locals and we met lots of nice people who helped us read the descriptions. If you like museums at all, this is a fantastic one.

We also walked to the local ruins, which was fun. When walking, you should remain alert for wildlife, particularly alligators.

We took a bus into town and enjoyed the local ambience away from all the drunk tourists.
Sounds good!
Thanks

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:35 pm

zero sum guy wrote:
It has happened before.
Wow, this is good info.

Thanks!

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Was considering taking a laptop, now considering the chaos in the Cancun airport may now just leave it home!

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Flymore wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:51 pm
Was considering taking a laptop, now considering the chaos in the Cancun airport may now just leave it home!
It's not really that chaotic. You are in a foreign country with a different language, so it is a little confusing, but the airport is pretty much like most high tourist area foreign country airports. Line up for customs, keep your immigration form in a place you'll remember. Baggage is just like any other airport. When you exit, walk by all the hawkers at their desks, ignore the ones who want to take your luggage. Then you're out. Since you're unfamiliar with the area, set up transport to your hotel before you arrive. The services will have desks outside in the parking/pick up area. If you can, bring some pesos. Otherwise, there are ATMs in the airport as well as currency exchange desks.

Bring a laptop if you think you'll use it. No problems.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Bring your laptop. Make sure you got free wifi at the hotel. As per TSA, you must have your tablets, cell phones and laptops in your carry on items and not your checked in luggage.
One final point, at the hotel lobby, there is a bulletin board wth the government mandated taxi fares to various points in Cancun. Taxi drivers can not go above those amounts. However, when you get a cab at another area outside, you must, repeat must settle on the taxi fare before you get into the cab. If the cab driver states, "Dont worry, Amigo, I will give you a good price", then go to another cab. He is a Rip off artist.
As for the Airport, when you arrive and get through customs, there will be dozens of people tryng to stop you to give you a free ride, meal or whatever. They will lie and say they are from your hotel. Move past them, and don't talk to them. It will make your vacation less complicated and more enjoyable.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:55 pm

cockersx3 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm
zero sum guy wrote:
It has happened before.
Wow..good info. Thanks! Have seen the videos on YouTube about the Cancun airport, so I think I know what you mean regarding the chaos just past the customs area. We have arranged transport from Cancun down and also have their cell number in case we get stuck.

I was actually planning to use the ATM machine down there for cash. Any reason why you avoid It? Assuming I would need to stick with bank owned ATM machines and not the stand alone ones that can presumably be hacked.

Also, how many pesos do you carry at a time when off property?
Using bank ATM is fine. I use a Charles Schwab account that refunds all ATM fees, but if you don't have a similar card, each trip to the ATM will include the ATM's fee, your banks non branch ATM fee, and a foreign transaction fee. So basically, pull out the max amount each trip to the ATM and leave what you don't need in the safe to pay those fees as few times as possible. I can't tell you how much you should walk around with, that depends on what you're into I suppose.

The cancun airport is not as bad as the rap that it gets. Yes there is a long walk through the valley of time share salesman, but these are nice people just trying to make a living, not violent criminals looking to rob and assault you. A simple "no gracias" as you're walking to your destination will suffice.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm

For the record, I never said there were violent criminals at the Cancun airport. The reason I have timeshares in Cancun is that the Mexican people, by and large, are probably the most hard working, helpful people on the planet. Never self entitled, and willing to help all.
If you respect them, they respect you. If you don't, they usually laugh and walk away.
I have never had a bad experience with a Mexican, ever.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Ok cool, watched the Cancun airport on youtube - looks ok.
Actually, lots of good stuff on youtube for Mexico and yes, it points out that most people there are nice, don't drink the water tip the maid. So no worries.
I'll take my travel laptop if they want it ... they can have it saves me from throwing it out. :D

DW says if I rent a car I'm going alone :D Same thing she said if I bought a plane. :D Hmmmmm :twisted:

We've been to Tulum and look forward to maybe going back.

So this is all coming together and looking like fun.

Thanks

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Alligators!!!

I like the signs around Hilton Head, Don't pet the Alligators they think of you as food! :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the heads up we'll watch out for them!

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Or the Gators will watch for you at night. They need to be fed and they don't eat tortillas.
Forget renting a car, you are on vacation, and you have permission to over-imbibe on good Mexican beer and tequila.
Anyway, that bus on the main Avenue in the Hotel Zone comes every five minutes, costs 80 cents per ride, and will take you to Cancun town faster than you can get into your seat. When you get into the bus, you better hold on a pole or a seat, pronto.
Frankly, I went into Cancun town to go to Walmart early in my vacation, and to get cheap tewuila, Mexcan beer, food stuffs, and cheaper tequila shot glasses and coin purses to bring to my friends and family back home.
Just don't drink the water outside the Hotel Zone. Your vacation depends on that.
Enjoy.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Flymore wrote:

There's a McDonalds we may try, not sure if that's ok?
Sure, eat at McDonalds if it makes you happy

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Up to you, but Mexican food is so much better.
So much better than you get in the States.
But Starbucks does make better Frappacinos.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm

[/quote]
Also don't get sick or injured in any way as you will likely be gouged for medical services by the locals.
[/quote]

If you do get sick or injured, insist on being taken to a hospital. There are any “clínicas” that will charge exorbitant amounts for a bed and a saline drip.

Also, if attacked by a crocodilian they tend to hunt by dragging land animals underwater and drowning them. If you play dead, chances are good you will be abandoned on a bank as alligators rarely eat their prey immediately.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 am

zero sum guy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm
Or the Gators will watch for you at night. They need to be fed and they don't eat tortillas.
Forget renting a car, you are on vacation, and you have permission to over-imbibe on good Mexican beer and tequila.
Anyway, that bus on the main Avenue in the Hotel Zone comes every five minutes, costs 80 cents per ride, and will take you to Cancun town faster than you can get into your seat. When you get into the bus, you better hold on a pole or a seat, pronto.
Frankly, I went into Cancun town to go to Walmart early in my vacation, and to get cheap tewuila, Mexcan beer, food stuffs, and cheaper tequila shot glasses and coin purses to bring to my friends and family back home.
Just don't drink the water outside the Hotel Zone. Your vacation depends on that.
Enjoy.
Do I need pesos for the bus?

thanks

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Flymore wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 am
Do I need pesos for the bus?

thanks
Yes, and preferably in small notes or coins.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 am

Got back yesterday from Cancun.
Missed the Kodak moment at the start of the trip with the van driver saying how safe it was while you could see three soldiers wearing flack jackets standing near a Humvee with a M60 machine gun mount as we entered the hotel zone. :D :shock: Reminder of how thin the layer of civilization is.
DW missed it.

Temperatures in the high 70's all week.
Pool and beach fantastic.
El Rey Zona Arqueológica, was fantastic. Short buss ride from the hotel.
Trip to the mall was a waste, high pressure tour sales etc.
McDonald's was fine and 7-11 for water and :beer.
Been to Tulum before, didn't feel like going back this trip.
Good trip, went too fast.