My life saved by New subaru. Almost died.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
barnaclebob

Re: My life saved by New subaru. Almost died.

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am

weltschmerz wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 am
I’m not sure that’s how the Automatic Braking systems work, avoiding the crash altogether, I think they are just supposed to lessen the impact. I drove a new Subaru Crosstrek recently with the Eyesight safety package, and I decided to test it by not braking while approaching a stopped car, expecting the car to start braking for me. It did not! I then had to mash the brake pedal to avoid the crash. Perhaps the level of autonomous emergency braking varies by manufacturer.
A computer will almost always win at chicken.

multiham

Post by multiham » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

OP - Glad everything worked out well for you. Unfortunately, you can only control your actions and not the driving of others. Glad they were able to find the "emergency exit"

I'm a big fan of technology that helps with driving. It is nice to know that these systems are there scanning the road ahead and helping in anyway they can. Computers do not get tired or have slower reaction times because it is early in the morning or they are thinking about something else.

If you don't like these new autonomous safety features, that is ok. I remember how many people didn't like anti-lock braking when it started to mainstream onto cars. Many people felt they could brake more effectively than any computer controlled system could. Now, anti-lock brakes are pretty much a standard in all cars and you typically get an insurance discount for having them. I don't think it will be too long before the auto braking systems are 99.99+ accurate and effective at what they are designed to do.

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm
https://one.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/Safety1nNum ... 812008.pdf

A car going only 20mph takes about 60 ft to stop. If it really was only 10 yds you could have only been going 15mph tops. Unfortunately I've hit cars from behind at 10-15mph. Fortunately I lived through it.
I couldn't believe that it takes 60 ft to stop a car going at 20 mph since I've stopped at less than 20 ft when doing 20 mph. (Granted that I am on the look out for cars cutting in or suddenly stopping in front of me during commute.) Then I read the NHTSA brochure cited. The 63 ft cited there includes 44 ft in driver *reaction time* from the time they notice the need to stop. So the statement "A car going only 20mph takes about 60 ft to stop" is *very* misleading. IIRC from my driver Ed, stopping distance is about 10 ft for each 10 mph speed on dry, straight pavement with good tires/traction once the driver hits the brakes. It is much more on rainy/snowy days and/or with bald tires.

Boglesmind

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

The Subaru also nearly killed you... Like this wouldn't have happened if you weren't driving. It's a dangerous activity. Always be prepared to stop, sounds like you were going too fast for the hill.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am
RudyS wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am
You were lucky. The Owner's Manual explicitly says NOT to try to test that system because of the danger.
When I get one of these systems there will definitely be a test with empty cardboard boxes.
For what purpose? Will the results alter your driving behavior one way or the other?

When you get one of these systems you will become aware of its functionality soon enough. Trust me--it can be quite the surprise the first time.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am
RudyS wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am
You were lucky. The Owner's Manual explicitly says NOT to try to test that system because of the danger.
When I get one of these systems there will definitely be a test with empty cardboard boxes.
For what purpose? Will the results alter your driving behavior one way or the other?

When you get one of these systems you will become aware of its functionality soon enough. Trust me--it can be quite the surprise the first time.
I just want to see a demonstration of it, not to change my driving habits.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm

OP, glad it avoided the crash for you. We've had these systems in all of our family cars for years now.

If you watch some of the European safety agency videos they actually test them using foam obstacles to see how each manufacturers system operates. I watch all of these videos on various cars before ever considering a test drive as safety is priority number one for us.

I don't put a lot of weight into the US safety tests.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 am

For the various readers, I recommend looking for some professional drivers training.

You would be very surprised to see what a properly trained driver can do with a honda accord.

Things like brake modulation, gear selection, engine braking, skid pads, FWD vs RWD, etc. are very helpful for even the most experienced driver.
The "training" most have for their license in the US falls far short of what's needed.
Miles driven does not equate to training.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 am

I'm glad this worked out and you didn't get hurt. I'm sure it was terrifying.

Other posters have covered most of the bases, but I agree that your Suburu could have been a Suburban or an RX350 or any one of dozens of other cars and the outcome would have been the same.

This is sort of "extreme confirmation bias."

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am

Am I too cynical? This sounds to me like a great social media product placement ad for Subaru.

TXPT

Post by TXPT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

FiveSixAce wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm
A few years ago I asked my friend, a vehicular homicide detective, what the safest cars out there were. He told me to get the heaviest vehicle I could afford, and the laws of physics were the best safety feature.
My dad is a retired fireman who made many calls for car wrecks and this has always been his advice.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 am

Op, glad you came out ok.
I should be dead, I had a very very close call many many years ago. Too long to describe but I do thank my lucky stars.

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 pm

So glad that you are safe and sound.
I have a Subaru too. Love it